Round Rock police shoot, kill man in ...

Round Rock police shoot, kill man in dispute

There are 68 comments on the News 8 Austin story from Apr 2, 2008, titled Round Rock police shoot, kill man in dispute. In it, News 8 Austin reports that:

“The chronology of events ... when the shots were fired as to when the man was attacking the officer, that's what the investigation is going to have to determine”

A man was shot and killed by Round Rock police Tuesday night after police responded to a domestic disturbance call. via News 8 Austin

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News 8 Austin.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
gerberdaisy

United States

#1 Apr 2, 2008
This man was naked? Where would he conceal a weapon? Supposedly he took the officer's night stick. Aren't police equipped with tasers or rifles that shoot bean bags? I have to say, this case has left me scratching my head wondering why this man had to die. Sounds like he was a little crazy. Couldn't MHMR come to do an evaluation before the officers approached him? I just read an article that the man who originally called 911 regrets that he ever called. Like I said, I am just left scratching my head over this one.
someonewhocares

Georgetown, TX

#2 Apr 3, 2008
most people have no clue as to what goes through an police officers mind during times when they are responding to a situation. everybody wants to be a monday morning quarterback. most law enforecment agencies have what is called a force continum. what that means is officers are allowed to use one step of force above what the person they are dealing with is using.so that means that if this guy had taken the officers baton and began striking that officer with it that the officer is then authorized to use deadly force. some agencies do not carry tasers or bean bag shotguns. as for having mhmr come out and talk to him. they will not talk to a person that is being ivestigated by the police that appears to be combative until that person is detained to where he will not hurt the medical staff or him self further. police officers are out there for the protection of the community. but it seems that nobody likes them until they are needed when there spouse is beating them,or some one stole from them, then they seem as if they love the police. with out law and order our communities would go back into the barbaric ages and there would be a lot more murders,rapes and theft going on.
rocket j squirrel

Gloucester, MA

#3 Apr 3, 2008
"Anybody can stop anybody without killing them," Olvera said.

then why did she call the police when she could have stopped him without violence?

easier said than done!
gerberdaisy

United States

#4 Apr 3, 2008
I hear what you are saying. It is always easy to sit back and say, "I would have done this" Not so easy if you are an officer in that position. I guess because this hit so close to home for me, it really left me with a sense of sadness that #1 our officers had to be put in that position, and #2 that a fellow neighbor died. Just makes me sad that it came to that. I found myself riddled with questions and it was good to be able to vent in a forum such as this and to hear your feedback to keep things in perspective. Thank you for responding to my post.
someonewhocares wrote:
most people have no clue as to what goes through an police officers mind during times when they are responding to a situation. everybody wants to be a monday morning quarterback. most law enforecment agencies have what is called a force continum. what that means is officers are allowed to use one step of force above what the person they are dealing with is using.so that means that if this guy had taken the officers baton and began striking that officer with it that the officer is then authorized to use deadly force. some agencies do not carry tasers or bean bag shotguns. as for having mhmr come out and talk to him. they will not talk to a person that is being ivestigated by the police that appears to be combative until that person is detained to where he will not hurt the medical staff or him self further. police officers are out there for the protection of the community. but it seems that nobody likes them until they are needed when there spouse is beating them,or some one stole from them, then they seem as if they love the police. with out law and order our communities would go back into the barbaric ages and there would be a lot more murders,rapes and theft going on.
Hank

Köln, Germany

#6 Apr 4, 2008
Sounds like a black's name.

Was the person killed black?

Were the cops white?
fred

Houtzdale, PA

#7 Apr 5, 2008
I believe the cops made up the story about the man taking the nightstick.These cops are cold blooded killers.The should be arrestedfor muder,And spent the rest of thier lives behind bars.Most police are corrupt,They lie to protect thier brothers,Take those basterds before a judge & hand thier asses!
bobsdaughter69

Berea, KY

#8 Apr 5, 2008
Hank wrote:
Were the cops white?
no this is not a black man even if he was you don't know him personally. he was nothing but a great kid. obviously something was bothering him at the time but he should not have been killed for it. he was naked for crying out loud. you can't tell me that the cops couldn't subdue him by other means. this was totally uncalled for.
no and yes

United States

#9 Apr 5, 2008
Hank wrote:
Were the cops white?
The person killed was white and the cops were I think white.
unbelievable

United States

#10 Apr 5, 2008
I can't for the life of me understand why 3 cops cannot subdue a naked man without killing him. I heard that he was shot multiple times, wouldnt one bullet have been enough to stop him from supposedly taking a nightstick. If 3 cops cannot subdue a naked individual it sounds as though maybe Round Rock has hired three inept officers. Not everyone has the mental and physical capacity for being an officer. Furthermore if the officers have not done anything illegal (god forbid) why hide the tape. Release the tape so that the public can judge for themselves.
RonC

Tyler, TX

#11 Apr 5, 2008
For goodness sake, can't people wait till the whole incident has been investigated before they start condemning the man or the police?

“GO WILDCATS!!”

Since: Feb 08

Location hidden

#12 Apr 5, 2008
well hopefully the cop gets it because he didn't have to shoot and kill this man..
Hank

Göttingen, Germany

#13 Apr 5, 2008
Sounds like a new trend in Texas.
no and yes wrote:
<quoted text>The person killed was white and the cops were I think white.
rocket j squirrel

Gloucester, MA

#14 Apr 6, 2008
Nira wrote:
well hopefully the cop gets it because he didn't have to shoot and kill this man..
get's what?
Were you there

Portland, TX

#15 Apr 7, 2008
fred wrote:
I believe the cops made up the story about the man taking the nightstick.These cops are cold blooded killers.The should be arrestedfor muder,And spent the rest of thier lives behind bars.Most police are corrupt,They lie to protect thier brothers,Take those basterds before a judge & hand thier asses!
First off, you were not there. Second, learn to spell, or check your work. People who are mentally not all there can be extremely strong and uncontrollable. It appears that the officers were trying to use other means before having to shoot the subject, why else was the nightstick out?!?!? FOR EVERYONE, don’t judge. Were you there? What was wrong the guy, drugs, mental problems? If it came to it, and you had, to could you make the choice to take someone’s life? Think about it, this is a choice that the officers have to deal with for the rest of their lives, could you? The officers will have their day with the Grand Jury, let them decide who is wrong and who is right, and then, in the end, GOD will make the final decision.
Were you there

Portland, TX

#16 Apr 7, 2008
IF YOU DON'T LIKE THE WAY THE POLICE HANDLE THINGS STOP CALLING!!!!!!!!!! They do the best they can.
Williamson Cty resident

Irving, TX

#17 Apr 14, 2008
RonC wrote:
For goodness sake, can't people wait till the whole incident has been investigated before they start condemning the man or the police?
What I am curious to know is how the naked man got close enough to an officer to take his stick/club. Was that officer paying full attention to the situation?
In addition, the dead man's name and picture were released almost immediately, but the names of the three officers involved were not released for about 24 hours. I do not think their pictures have yet been published.
Get a clue

Laredo, TX

#18 May 10, 2008
Most of the people who have left a message in this forum have absolutely no clue what occurs at a family disturbance call/domestic. They (police) are having to go to someones residence and try to fix a problem that has taken years to create. I love reading what all of the experts have to say, you can certainly tell that Round Rock is next to Austin. It does not matter how big an officer is or why his "night stick" was taken away. Bottom line is, he felt that their lives were threatened and with that being said, Chapter 49 of the TX penal code states that an officer can use deadly force. For all of you who are stocking shelves at the local HEB, you do not see people on the internet telling you how to do your job, so why are you trying to tell an officer how to do his? It takes 2.5 seconds to decide if you are going to pull the trigger and it allows people like this months and years to Monday night quarterback. Get a clue!
tex

United States

#19 May 10, 2008
Hank wrote:
Sounds like a new trend in Texas.
<quoted text>
No new trend,stupid still gets shot sometimes. Color is immaterial. Don't wanna get shot? Don't do something stupid

Since: Dec 07

United States

#20 May 10, 2008
I'm glad there's one more of these guys outta the gene pool.
Williamson Cty resident wrote:
<quoted text>
What I am curious to know is how the naked man got close enough to an officer to take his stick/club. Was that officer paying full attention to the situation?
In addition, the dead man's name and picture were released almost immediately, but the names of the three officers involved were not released for about 24 hours. I do not think their pictures have yet been published.
wondering

United States

#21 May 16, 2008
can anyone tell me the mans name I haven't heard from my son for months.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Giddings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News As anger over election of Donald Trump erupts, ... 7 hr ima-Ilis Myka Ash... 3,001
Electors Abandon Trump- No True Blind Trust! No... Mon TrumpBusiness-Gov... 1
Looking for any connect in s Austin Mon atxmassive 1
Yay, pain relief Mon atxmassive 2
Texas Elector Cisneros shoud not quit.Vote for ... Dec 4 Truth 3
Would it matter if Trump Raped a 13 year old? Nov 28 Child RapeMatters 1
Xanax Nov 28 Atxanax 2

Giddings Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Giddings Mortgages