Seniors in Their 80s and 90s Rigorous...

Seniors in Their 80s and 90s Rigorously Compete in Water Volleyball Matches

Posted in the Giddings Forum

Lauren Witt

Dallas, TX

#1 Sep 5, 2013
Focus, determination and sprightliness are embodied in the eyes and movements of seniors in their 80s and 90s at biweekly water volleyball matches at GreenRidge, an independent senior living community at Buckner Villas in Austin. The teams are comprised of athletic seniors who are determined to maintain their physical strength and like to have a little bit of competitive fun.

Holly Jones, wellness coordinator at GreenRidge at Buckner Villas, came to Joe and Barbara Miles, 82-year-old residents at GreenRidge at Buckner Villas, with the idea and together the three eagerly collaborated on the idea and changed the rules to structure a game that would be ideal for seniors.

“It is really something when you see residents who normally use canes and walkers get into the pool, discard their assistive mobility mechanisms and play a game of water volleyball,” shared Barbara Miles.“Playing in the water is easier on the joints and allows people to move in ways they would not be able to move if they were outside of the water. Impressively, six of our regular players play with pacemakers. I usually have good luck when serving. I once served 10 points straight!”

Six residents play on a team and play three games of 21 points. A team can only play for two wins. The teams compete with a giant beach ball, as it prevents players from getting injured and is easy for people with vision impairment to spot because of the bright colors.

“I coached at Crockett High School for 15 years and taught health education for 9 years after that,” said Joe Miles.“Once you are a coach, that competitive spirit never does leave you. I played in the water volleyball matches for a good year-and-a-half and then volunteered my services as referee. We play by old school rules. The only team who can get points is the team who is serving. It is a fun, lively competition and we get a lot of residents who come out to spectate. The best moments are when rallies occur as the ball flies back and forth over the net and people make some pretty crazy shots!”

In addition to water volleyball matches, the Mileses also participate in water aerobics classes and golf regularly together in the fall and spring. Having grown up around siblings who played sports, having played sports themselves, raised two athletic sons and supported their two granddaughters whom both pursued volleyball, the Mileses have always had an appreciation for sports and the physical aptitude it takes to play them.

“It is important to develop a healthy and active lifestyle when you are young, because before you know it you are starting to get old,” shared Joe Miles.“Your health later on will depend on the habits you build now. We all want to maintain what we have. We do not want to lose our strength or our strong vitals.”

Carl Morris regularly lifts weights and works out in the gym. He has lifted over 3 million pounds of weights since moving into GreenRidge at Buckner Villas. He is quickly on his way to achieving his goal of lifting over 4 million pounds of weights. He enjoys competing in the water volleyball matches to maintain his health and complement his strength training.

“I really enjoy playing in the matches,” said Morris.“I also train with free weights and pre-programmed machinery in our gym. We can set up our preferences on the machinery and it tracks our performance. Playing in the matches and keeping up with my physical strength training makes me feel more mobile and gives me more energy to do things. When the water volleyball matches start we always have a full house; every single chair is taken. We have a lot of ladies in their 80s who play and the best thing for me is seeing some of them make great returns. It does my heart good.”

“The water volleyball matches are a big hit and we are delighted that the residents have been actively involved with them,” said Holly Jones, wellness coordinator at GreenRidge at Buckner Villas.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Giddings Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Man dies after fall from roof; Detective suspen... (Apr '08) 12 hr Leory 4
toll roads SUCK (Sep '07) Thu JULIO 34
People In Austin are freakin rude (Jun '09) Jun 29 RhiannaDeLeres 70
Social Security Office Jun 28 Guest 1
News 1916 Captured 10th Cav troopers safely returned Jun 23 huey goins 13
News Has Central Texas barbecue forgotten its Africa... Jun 21 Oh No You Di-nt 1
Election Who do you support for State Board of Education... (Oct '10) Jun 13 robert 994

Giddings Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Giddings Mortgages