Internet Sweepstakes Cafe Opens in Gi...

Internet Sweepstakes Cafe Opens in Gibsonville

There are 7 comments on the Fox 8 WGHP story from Jul 14, 2010, titled Internet Sweepstakes Cafe Opens in Gibsonville. In it, Fox 8 WGHP reports that:

A ban on Internet Sweepstakes businesses has passed the state legislature but officials in Gibsonville have approved a sweepstakes cafe to be built near downtown.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Fox 8 WGHP.

YZ Cracker

Greensboro, NC

#1 Jul 14, 2010
I don't see why people would pay to go online and gamble, when they could do the same thing at home. But, if that's what they want to do, Bev should keep her nose out of it!!
DLS

Lewisville, NC

#2 Jul 14, 2010
The reason the State wants to ban it is simple: They have legalzied gambling in the form of the lottery. It's like a "no compete" contract.(They also sell alcohol and won't permit free enterprise rivals.(They do this in the USSR, too.) Then they collect taxes for us to pay to dry people out, arrest drunk and disorderlies, etc. Sweet deal, huh?) Get out of our lives Aunt Bev!
honorable

Greensboro, NC

#3 Jul 14, 2010
we don't need more gambling....lotto is enough for that addiction
John in High Point

AOL

#4 Jul 14, 2010
watch out they will be banned soon like in Guilford.
concerned citizen

Thomasville, NC

#5 Jul 14, 2010
I don't understand how the state can call the sweepstakes games "gambling" when they sell lottery tickets and don't call them "gambling".

The bottom dollar is that they think they are missing out on tax dollars from these sweepstakes games and in all honesty these companies have offered to pay MORE taxes -to keep themselves in business.

This will cause more unemployment issues in our already hurt economy.
Phillip

Winston Salem, NC

#6 Jul 19, 2010
Towns want this business to operate. It helps the districts that they are in. We need to help keep these businesses open. It brings more money to the state than the state would want to admit.
twocents

United States

#7 Jul 20, 2010
let poeple do what they want

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gibsonville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Gibsonville crackdown targets sweepstakes busin... (Jan '15) Jan '15 Ginwine 1
News Open and shut (Oct '14) Oct '14 Ace Macmillan 5
News Former Elon church pastor plans book signing today (Oct '14) Oct '14 Ace Macmillan 2
Review: Matkins Meat Processors (Apr '13) Jul '14 heather 5
Election Who do you support for District Court Judge in ... (Oct '10) Apr '14 Alamance Co citizen 11
News Woman charged in murder of convenience store owner (Aug '13) Aug '13 shelia easron 1
News Possession of firearm by felon (Mar '13) Mar '13 mindyabizniss 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gibsonville Mortgages