WHERE IN THE WORLD .... is Chambersburg?

Full story: Public Opinion

When people think of Chambersburg, what do they think of? Peaches? Apples? Dairy farms? Civil War History? The most popular response among Chambers of Commerce around Pennsylvania, when asked "What do you think of when you think of Chambersburg," was... "Where?" "I'm sorry, I don't know where that is," one chamber representative said.
Comments
1 - 20 of 58 Comments Last updated Aug 30, 2012
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
anonymous

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Jun 19, 2009
When I lived in Greensburg, there were signs at fruit stands saying "Chambersburg peaches."
Wow Wee

Manahawkin, NJ

#3 Jun 19, 2009
You can't put much stock in what someone from Philipsburg say, heck they live so far out of the way they have never heard of Washington DC. Doesn't surprise me the secretary never heard of Chambersburg. I'll bet she doesn't know where Bald Eagle is either.
b bibblr

Gettysburg, PA

#4 Jun 19, 2009
who cares lol

"History is our hook."

That's a puny hook.

No one even knows we exist and furthermore they don't care about greedheads trying to make a buck from so called 'history'.

I'll keep my money in insured T bills.
worldinspector

Newark, DE

#5 Jun 19, 2009
... and ya know what? I bet all of those relatively obscure (from a tourist destination standpoint) towns where they asked about Chambersburg, each spend comparable amounts of money on "tourism promotion." And I bet most people in Chambersburg if asked the same type questions about them, wouldn't have any better answers.
The reality is that Chambersburg, Bradford, Philipsburg, etc. are all just towns where people live -- nice places, but not "tourist traps!"
The silly numbers provided --$377 million and 8,500 jobs dependent on tourism -- are nonsense. They include every restaurant, gift shop, business traveler hotel, I-81 proximity gas station, etc., etc., etc., only a small portion of whose business actually comes from "tourists."
No how much we spend to promote Franklin County tourism, people ain't comin' to Chambersburg to swim in the ocean or see the Rockies!
worldinspector

Newark, DE

#6 Jun 19, 2009
Wow Wee wrote:
You can't put much stock in what someone from Philipsburg say, heck they live so far out of the way they have never heard of Washington DC. Doesn't surprise me the secretary never heard of Chambersburg. I'll bet she doesn't know where Bald Eagle is either.
... and I suppose you know where Rough N Ready, PA is?
Stop and Think

Carlisle, PA

#7 Jun 19, 2009
When I go any where in or out of state & asked
where I'm from, I tell them Chambersburg/Fayetteville. They saywhere is that?
I tell them 20 miles west of Gettysburg. Guess
what. A lot don't know where Gettysburg is. Some
people don't even know about Gettysburg. So, how
is Chambersburg going to make an inpact?
SayWhat

Barnegat, NJ

#8 Jun 19, 2009
The Franklin County tourism bureau is a joke and should be shut down. Nobody pays any attention to their billboards besides, they don't even make sense. An exercise in futility.
Local resident

Chambersburg, PA

#9 Jun 19, 2009
SayWhat wrote:
The Franklin County tourism bureau is a joke and should be shut down. Nobody pays any attention to their billboards besides, they don't even make sense. An exercise in futility.
You could say the same comment for the CASD administration!!!
anon

Chambersburg, PA

#10 Jun 19, 2009
Local resident wrote:
<quoted text>
You could say the same comment for the CASD administration!!!
AGREE!!!
anon

Barnegat, NJ

#11 Jun 19, 2009
Soon we will be known for how bad our CASD is--that will be how we are known--we will be the "joke" of a school district that has a horrible super. and board!!
POBO

Newtown, PA

#12 Jun 19, 2009
anon wrote:
Soon we will be known for how bad our CASD is--that will be how we are known--we will be the "joke" of a school district that has a horrible super. and board!!
I think Tuscarora has already beaten CASD to those titles.
merrymaid

Hagerstown, MD

#13 Jun 19, 2009
I was born in Greensburg, PA & whenever we go back there we always see signs along Rt 30 advertising Chambersburg peaches. My cousins always ask that we bring peaches from Chambersburg when they're in season! I've lived in the Chambersburg area for over 45 years. I love it here...this is home. The farms & history in this area are fantastic & anyone living here should be proud to call this home!
mia

Beach Haven, NJ

#14 Jun 19, 2009
im living in chamberburg but i dont call it home nc is home
OKWITME

Manchester, MI

#15 Jun 19, 2009
Anyone who would spend money to come visit Chambersburg for it's "historic" value has more money that sense.
dmw

Lanham, MD

#16 Jun 19, 2009
Route 30 towns know each other...go west on 30 and they know Chambersburg for its peaches! People in DC know it as a relatively cheap place to live after retirement.

Since: May 09

Location hidden

#17 Jun 19, 2009
Franklin County has no significant tourism draw; certainly nothing to keep people overnight. There's no museums, no night life, downtown shopping is improving but still pathetic, no sports teams, no amusement parks, no fun... there's no real reason for tourism in Franklin County. If they want tourism here, stop playing the "historic" angle and build something that will bring people here and make them stay to spend more money.

We don't even have a movie theater... or at least not one where you can't hear the movies playing next to yours.
tom

Cherry Hill, NJ

#18 Jun 19, 2009
It's amazing to me that the history of this area has pretty much been ignored. A good example is the Scotland School for Veterans Children. It has been here since the civil war and is now a one of a kind institution which could be promoted by the local powers to be. That is if our good governor doesn't close it.
Gruntled

Riverside, NJ

#19 Jun 19, 2009
anon wrote:
Let's be fair, Dr.Padasak doesn't live here.
Food for thought

Bensalem, PA

#20 Jun 19, 2009
I am glad that most people don't know where it is.
bang bang

Marcus Hook, PA

#21 Jun 19, 2009
chambersburg isnt that the place god put the enema into to start cleansing the world

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gettysburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Police: Woman charged after attempted 7-Eleven ... 15 hr Steve Gratman 7
Hi, my name is.... 18 hr Davenport 55
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Thu bacon hater 51,299
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Thu Knows he lost 3,921
Gettysburg Crime YTD Thu Just the Facts 45
Gettysburg Child Rape/Violent/Serious Crime List (Sep '13) Thu Steve Gratman 381
***YO Residents..Any TOURIST GRIPES??? *** Aug 24 Davenport 21
•••
•••
•••

Gettysburg Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Gettysburg People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••