Beauty

Oklahoma City, OK

#507 Jan 8, 2013
Belgian_lad wrote:
Hey everyone,
I am a Belgian currently working for a large American corporation. Our headoffice is located in Memphis. Been a few times overthere just for a couple of days. Now I was asked to move on a permanent base to Memphis. I was wonderring, are there any other Europeans on this forum having made the same move? What are their thoughts comparred to Europe?
As well who can tell me where would be best to live? I love the nature, so would welcome living outside Memphis. But ofcourse this depends on if this is possible. And upon living in Memphis, where is a decent area to live( I am single with no kids, so don't have to consider schools etc)? What areas are not to be considerred to live in? How is the crime rate? Heard that since the huge huricane last year things turned badly?
Thanks for any comments!

If I were you and your willing to drive 40 mins everyday to work. Live in Jonesboro Arkansas. It's a beautiful city and has country outskirts. Look up Sage Meadows in Jonesboro Arkansas. Very nice community subdivision golf course etc and your surrounded by country. Memphis is very dangerous and all the areas around are as well.
Your Crazy

Memphis, TN

#508 Jan 9, 2013
you have a screw undoing itself in your brain if you want to move anywhere near Memphis
Devin

Lawrenceville, GA

#510 Feb 11, 2013
I'm from Gaffney, SC and I've been to Memphis before and its not as bad as everyone says. Sure it has its problems and its a poor city, but its pretty good compared to somewhere like Chicago or Atlanta. I live exactly 1 hour south of Charlotte, NC and I can say Memphis isn't nearly as bad as Charlotte.
Memphis wreaks

Bradenton, FL

#511 Feb 13, 2013
^^ not as bad as Charlotte ??? you have to be nuts to think charlotte is worse than Memphis TENNESSEE !! how is it worse ? you have to be kidding me

of course it is ba as evryone says it is ! why would people simply lie about it ? read about Memphis anywhere you want to, whether on the web or opnions or in publications such as Money Magasine, the New York Times, Travel and Leisure, Newsweek, The Wall Street Journal, or more importantly and revealing in a little magazine named FORBES

or simply pick up an FBI statistics report !!

is Memphis the absolute worst ?? no, try cties like Detroit and Oakland, or a Jackson Mississippi.

Memphis can't hold a candle to Charlotte, or for that matter to Nashville either.

Get real
Cdel

Cordova, TN

#514 Feb 13, 2013
For a single guy, I would suggest living Downtown or in Midtown. Downtown has the lowest crime rate in the City and it's easy to meet new people there.
Living Downtown or in Midtown, you'll always have something to do.
Overton Park is in Midtown and is great for walking/running. Plus Overton Park has the Levitt Shell which hosts free outdoor concerts in the Spring and Fall.

Please don't let the naysayers on this board scare you away.
I've lived in Midtown Memphis for nearly a decade and have never had a single problem with crime. I've had great neighbors and have had a wonderful time here.

I would be willing to bet that most of the people posting negativ responses live in the suburbs and rarely even visit Memphis. Their only impressions are from the nightly news.
no naysayer here

Bradenton, FL

#515 Feb 16, 2013
you have to be kidding me, anybody considering moving to Memphis should know the damn truth about what the city really is ! is it the worst city in america ? NO, but it's more near the bottom percentile than anywhere near the top, and that's simply the truth of the matter. Before moving to Memphis (or anywhere else), a person should really study the facts on the ground, and not listen to a bunch of boosterisms and people paid to hang out on websites to cheerlead about Memphis or any other city. Never ask a local about the truth on the ground in Memphis, ask another transplant who may may come from a different region than W TN for godsake, or some idiot who grew up in Mississippi or eastern Arkansas. Ask someone in the state's capital, Nashville TN, ask professionals who travel in and out of the city, ask academics who work in highly regarded professions, go ask the Police, Fire, and Medical personnel. Ask professionals who have transfered in, then transitioned out of Memphis for the truth, I assure you , only then you might get a good representation of the truth.

Also, Midtown sucks too. Two or three blocks in anydirection, you're in the ghetto or sketchy areas, I don't care what anybody tells you.

Believe me, you should be circumspect about moving to the Memphis area ! this place is backwards. Of course there are pockets of excellence, but they are outnumbered by pure crap, crap thinking, bad politics, racism, stupidity, crime, and just a horrible overall environment if you compare Memphis to many other cities. There are much much much better options.

BTW it's crap to think that people living in the suburbs, don't visit and already know Memphis. But , do your own research on your own, and you'll find out for yourself the City is deficient and an overgrown river town.
the facts

United States

#516 Feb 16, 2013
no naysayer here wrote:
you have to be kidding me, anybody considering moving to Memphis should know the damn truth about what the city really is ! is it the worst city in america ? NO, but it's more near the bottom percentile than anywhere near the top, and that's simply the truth of the matter. Before moving to Memphis (or anywhere else), a person should really study the facts on the ground, and not listen to a bunch of boosterisms and people paid to hang out on websites to cheerlead about Memphis or any other city. Never ask a local about the truth on the ground in Memphis, ask another transplant who may may come from a different region than W TN for godsake, or some idiot who grew up in Mississippi or eastern Arkansas. Ask someone in the state's capital, Nashville TN, ask professionals who travel in and out of the city, ask academics who work in highly regarded professions, go ask the Police, Fire, and Medical personnel. Ask professionals who have transfered in, then transitioned out of Memphis for the truth, I assure you , only then you might get a good representation of the truth.

Also, Midtown sucks too. Two or three blocks in anydirection, you're in the ghetto or sketchy areas, I don't care what anybody tells you.

Believe me, you should be circumspect about moving to the Memphis area ! this place is backwards. Of course there are pockets of excellence, but they are outnumbered by pure crap, crap thinking, bad politics, racism, stupidity, crime, and just a horrible overall environment if you compare Memphis to many other cities. There are much much much better options.

BTW it's crap to think that people living in the suburbs, don't visit and already know Memphis. But , do your own research on your own, and you'll find out for yourself the City is deficient and an overgrown river town.
I'm just a straight talker!! Your problem here is when a city gets over ridden with negros and its not enough white people to take control and run the place then it will be very high crime, killings, drug infested, disease, because they are to lazy to work and build a city legally. Look at the mayor and all the higher ups and you will see the problem. Until it changes hands and will only go down hill and slum off into the river
detective

Bradenton, FL

#517 Feb 17, 2013
I have a collegue of mine who is a detective on MPD, and I've been to Memphis many times but have never lived there. The problem with Memphis is not race. Lots of cities have large black populations. The problem with Memphis as I seen it is a lack of will to go beond race, race baiting, and the Old South mantra on the part of whites (who are losing political clout to others), and Blacks (who still harbor age-old resentment of unfair and illegally institutionalized domination and subjugation of blacks, dating back to when Memphis was a known, harsh, slave trading town). It's going to take at minimum another two full generations (10 - 20 years) for a new crop of thinkers and doeers to emerge and allowed to flourish. People who choose to move there and work might change the social thinking fabric as well, but they are met now with downright hostility and resentment. Every city has policing problems and every city was special policing and crime issues, whether in Memphis, Miami, Detroit or LA. That's no excuse for Memphis not acting on those issues. Would I choose a job there ? no, not if I could help it, and I would not rear my family in such an environment.
kkk lover

Corinth, MS

#519 Feb 19, 2013
detective wrote:
I have a collegue of mine who is a detective on MPD, and I've been to Memphis many times but have never lived there. The problem with Memphis is not race. Lots of cities have large black populations. The problem with Memphis as I seen it is a lack of will to go beond race, race baiting, and the Old South mantra on the part of whites (who are losing political clout to others), and Blacks (who still harbor age-old resentment of unfair and illegally institutionalized domination and subjugation of blacks, dating back to when Memphis was a known, harsh, slave trading town). It's going to take at minimum another two full generations (10 - 20 years) for a new crop of thinkers and doeers to emerge and allowed to flourish. People who choose to move there and work might change the social thinking fabric as well, but they are met now with downright hostility and resentment. Every city has policing problems and every city was special policing and crime issues, whether in Memphis, Miami, Detroit or LA. That's no excuse for Memphis not acting on those issues. Would I choose a job there ? no, not if I could help it, and I would not rear my family in such an environment.
Is that why all the negros are killing each other?? What does that have to do with whites??
Sugar

Memphis, TN

#520 Feb 20, 2013
Memphis is not nearly as bad as it was. It is experiencing a renaissance of sorts. If you don't see that you are not paying attention. I have lived in a lot of different areas of Memphis: Raleigh, Binghampton, Berclair, Hickory Hill, Midtown, Cooper Young. I will say that midtown, in the six years I lived there, I found over rated. I enjoyed my time there, but it's not as cool as some people think it is. Good things are starting to happen for the city and it sure needs it. That said there are a lot of idiots still in charge.
idiots for real

Bradenton, FL

#521 Mar 6, 2013
all sorts of idiots in Mem, it's a black problem and a white problem and simply an educstional problem the city and the region is plagued ! just read about the place all over the web, and comments written here and you can get a sense of how bad it is for everyone. The place is 30 years behind the rest of the world
HOT_COFFEE

Memphis, TN

#522 Mar 7, 2013
ewwww memphis. gross
moneyshow

Sarasota, FL

#523 Mar 8, 2013
Had an important meeting in Memphis

Horrible airport/bad attitudes

Horrible rental agency personel

Horrible service in hotel

Mediocre, hyped subpar food/restaurants

Stupid acting and sounding people

Friendly but stupid

Worse drivers than FL

Overt racism

Phony but friendly and helpful

Residents defensive about visitors from other cities

Out of touch with what is evolving in the nation/world

Not on my must-see city again soon

Would not live in the city at the present - maybe later

Met some very nice people !
Grandpaw Whitey

Duluth, GA

#524 Mar 9, 2013
Why would u want to move to a shiyt hole like that ?? Do your research, lowest crime rates in the nation is cities with the lowest population of negroes. Highest is where these social animals are concentrated the most. The political crime and street crime are the highest in these cities. Don't move to memphrica.
Memfrica Shaved Ape

Oakland, TN

#525 Mar 12, 2013
Sugar wrote:
Memphis is not nearly as bad as it was. It is experiencing a renaissance of sorts. If you don't see that you are not paying attention. I have lived in a lot of different areas of Memphis: Raleigh, Binghampton, Berclair, Hickory Hill, Midtown, Cooper Young. I will say that midtown, in the six years I lived there, I found over rated. I enjoyed my time there, but it's not as cool as some people think it is. Good things are starting to happen for the city and it sure needs it. That said there are a lot of idiots still in charge.
Yes, the Memfrica Renaissance is here, now instead of being shot by Leroy or Tyrone, you are shot by Leroy, Earl of Welfare or Tyrone, Duke of Food Stamps.
Memfrica Shaved Ape

Oakland, TN

#526 Mar 12, 2013
Name one one black run black majority city that doesn't have a massive crime/poverty problem.

You can't. You could move every white person 100 miles outside Memphis and the blacks would still blame them for the problems.
memphis is pathethic

Bradenton, FL

#527 Mar 12, 2013
pathetic people all around

no wonder why Memphis sucks out loud, eh ? just reading this stuff reinforces what most outsiders alreadyknow about Memphis TN

too bad for all respectable Memphians, but you are fighting a losing battle ! get out while you can !
Amy

Collierville, TN

#528 Mar 15, 2013
Live in good part, work in the city. Collierville is wonderful. I live here and love it.
Georianna Wood

Memphis, TN

#529 Mar 25, 2013
Memphis beats the ever loving hell out of Reservoir Rd in Little Rock that's fo sho!!!!!! Professor Bowl anyone?
Memphis Bound

Phoenix, AZ

#530 Apr 21, 2013
Moving to the Big M next month. Was interested in finding an NFL cheerleader who wants to date a 19 year old.

http://www.tmz.com/2013/03/21/nfl-cheerleader...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Germantown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Troll Bridge (Mar '11) 2 hr BOiaF 5,435
Who do you support for U.S. House in Tennessee ... (Oct '10) 9 hr tennessee moralit... 284
lost love (Oct '11) 13 hr Sabrina Savage 2
one million dollars 13 hr vote 1
Sally Belt Lee Mon soo 2
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) Mon williewilliamajr123 19,590
Extra Storage Germantown Road Sun No name 2
Germantown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Germantown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 12:31 pm PST

NBC Sports12:31PM
Source: Browns interview former Rams coach Mike Martz
NBC Sports 3:14 AM
Rams won't get chance to interview Rob Chudzinski or Alex Van Pelt
Bleacher Report 6:15 PM
Why the St. Louis Rams Must Draft Dorial Green-Beckham
NBC Sports 8:37 AM
Nathaniel Hackett interviewing for Rams offensive coordinator on Thursday
Yahoo! Sports 8:12 AM
The lure of LA for the NFL - mirage or 'must do'?