Moving to Memphis
First Prev
of 26
Next Last
Belgian_lad

Beringen, Belgium

#1 Aug 19, 2006
Hey everyone,

I am a Belgian currently working for a large American corporation. Our headoffice is located in Memphis. Been a few times overthere just for a couple of days. Now I was asked to move on a permanent base to Memphis. I was wonderring, are there any other Europeans on this forum having made the same move? What are their thoughts comparred to Europe?

As well who can tell me where would be best to live? I love the nature, so would welcome living outside Memphis. But ofcourse this depends on if this is possible. And upon living in Memphis, where is a decent area to live( I am single with no kids, so don't have to consider schools etc)? What areas are not to be considerred to live in? How is the crime rate? Heard that since the huge huricane last year things turned badly?

Thanks for any comments!
Russ

Milwaukee, WI

#2 Sep 17, 2006
Crime rate is out of control here. You should live in Bartlett, Cordova, or Germantown. Most of the places in Memphis City limits you'll just get everything stolen from you.
Belgian_lad

Beringen, Belgium

#3 Sep 23, 2006
Thanks Russ.

How come Memphis police doesn't get this situation sorted? Memphis aint that big a city? around a million people, no? It should be possible to get this sorted though? How come us cities have these problems? Most european cities of the same size, haven't got this issue.
Russ

Milwaukee, WI

#4 Sep 23, 2006
Belgian_lad wrote:
Thanks Russ.
How come Memphis police doesn't get this situation sorted? Memphis aint that big a city? around a million people, no? It should be possible to get this sorted though? How come us cities have these problems? Most european cities of the same size, haven't got this issue.
Most American cities don't either, but politicians are corupt all throughout TN. They steal all of the money that is supposed to go towards their cities and their cities suffer for it. I work for the Police Department here, and we do what we can, but when you're 350 officers short of the National Requirement, and the Dept. doesn't have the money to do anything because politicians steal it all, there's not much we can do. The way we see it, is if they want us to do a better job, they'll put forth an effort to get us some funds to do so, some better equipment, some more Assault Rifles, things of that nature.
Kris

Memphis, TN

#7 Oct 9, 2006
Memphis is a horrid city and I wouldn't suggest that anyone move here of their own free will. I've been to other cities -- Atlanta, Chicago, Philadelphia -- and Memphis is the absolute worst. There is so much tension, ignorance, and depression in the air and everyone feels it, except maybe the few wealthy people who haven't left yet. There is no desire for economic or intellectual growth within city limits. There are people here who are still waiting for the South to win. It feels like Wonderland -- lots of people talking but no one making sense. Please, if you can help it, don't move here.
Jim

Blytheville, AR

#8 Oct 10, 2006
Stay away from Memphis and Shelby county. The city mayor there is an idiot with an ego that is unsurpassed in the animal kingdom. He's filled all the administrative offices with his cronies that are just like him, STUPID!!! The city and county are always in a financial bind and these idiots just keep raising taxes.
Belgian_lad

Bilzen, Belgium

#9 Oct 12, 2006
Geez, any one got any decent comments about Memphis? As it is a good move for my career. But if it really is such a terrible place. I don't know, what about suburbs, any decent places?
John

Chicago, IL

#10 Oct 20, 2006
I'm in the same boat ... considering an offer as we speak and considering a move from Chicago to Memphis. Is it really all that bad?
supra59

Vermilion, OH

#11 Oct 22, 2006
Most of these people do not live in Memphis -- Ignore -- All urban centers have their problems. If you want to live in a rural area -- Macon or Eads Tn -- still near shopping & restaurants , Germantown would likely have the most Europeans likely working in the Medical Field , FedEx , or Intl. Paper. I have lived all over --- public schools could be better -- plenty of private schools in the area. I have lived in PHL and CHI -- prefer Memphis, Prefer ATL over MEM however
Curt

United States

#12 Nov 21, 2006
Wow. Most of the posts on here are utterly rediculous. The crime is not out of control. It is mostly local media hype. Memphis can be a great place to live. It has everything that large cities have to offer, but is still small enough that you can get anywhere in 15 minutes. Sure, the local government is not great, but it does not affect your life in the least, unless you sit around watching the news all night. It's also really diverse, probably moreso than you are used to. Most people here have already made up their minds that it is a terrible place to live, but that's what they want it to be. Memphis is what you make it.
(Also I have lived in some of Memphis's "worst" neighborhoods" for the past 5 years. I'm a college student and have never had any crime problems. Not that they don't exist, but these people have them completely overblown.)
Yasir

Collierville, TN

#13 Nov 22, 2006
Hi,
Well, most of the comments are very negative. Its not that bad afterall. I am from Germany and I live now in Cordova. Its a nice place and 15 minutes from memphis. I lived in Memphis for 4 years and had a good time as a student.
So, do not worry about moving here, its not that bad afterall. I truly have a good time.
Maggie

United States

#14 Dec 3, 2006
Hi,
I'm planning to move to Memphis soon. From what I gather from the comments, Memphis is like any big city. Work in the city, live in the suburbs. Not only do we have heaps of snow in Buffalo, NY, but we pay the highest county tax in the whole USA. Nothing can be worse than that. I hear TN has no state taxes; that will be nice!
How is the housing market? Can you get a good size house for a fair price?
I can't wait to move -- no more snow!
CMunity

Memphis, TN

#15 Dec 4, 2006
Wow. Most of the posts on here are utterly rediculous. The crime is not out of control. It is mostly local media hype. Memphis can be a great place to live. It has everything that large cities have to offer, but is still small enough that you can get anywhere in 15 minutes. Sure, the local government is not great, but it does not affect your life in the least, unless you sit around watching the news all night. It's also really diverse, probably moreso than you are used to.

**Just this alone should tell you about the state (not state as in city state, but state of mind) that Memphians have. Memphis is NOT diverse. It's black and white. I am from a culturally diverse state, California (Los Angeles). Memphians are still waiting for Ole Massa to free them!
**And it is spelled R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S (memphis great?? Puh-lease)
MrsRealEstate

East Aurora, NY

#16 Dec 8, 2006
My step-family are all from Germany. They all moved to Memphis in the 70's. No complaints. My step father is the outdoors man. We settled in the Hernando area of Mississippi when I was 5, so that we could have acreage. After highschool, I married and moved to the Tipton County area. I would say, it all depends on your expectations. What "must" you have in a home/area. No one in any area of the Mid-South is immune to crime. If it is going happen, then it will. But, for the most part you can eye ball a neighborhood and know if it is a "bad part of town".

Good Luck :)
Harley

Tullahoma, TN

#17 Dec 19, 2006
Whats the rich / nice area of Town in or around Memphis?
MrsRealEstate

AOL

#18 Dec 20, 2006
The priciest areas are: Southwind, most of Germantown, there are some very expensive homes in midtown and also downtown near the river.
SJackson

Sebastian, FL

#22 Jan 11, 2007
I'm planning to move to Memphis after graduation. I currently live in Hattiesburg, MS and attend the University of Southern Mississippi where I am getting my Master's Degree in Social Work. I have visited Memphis several times, mostly to shop and take advantage of the historical sites. I will be ,moving with three children ages 17, 13, 8 so things such as schools and neighborhoods are my primary concern. Please inform me of the best places to live where there are decent schools. Most likely I will look for a small house or an apartment. Because I need to be sure that Memphis is where I plan to root myself before making any big investments. I love the area close to the Wolfcase Galleria, however, I am open to any advice. Thanking you all in advance.
Roger

Ponte Vedra Beach, FL

#23 Jan 12, 2007
I just moved from the Memphis area and most of the comments are accurate. Desoto county MS is just across the state line and has a very rapid growth rate. Most of the commercal growth is in Northeast Shelby co and Desoto County MS. There are a lot of good things about Memphis but living in the city limits or even Shelby Co. wouldn't be a good decision.
Tell it like it is

Melbourne, Australia

#25 Jan 12, 2007
STAY AWAY FROM AMERICA. America is dying and transforming into a police state and Memphsis along with it. It starts when you get your fingerprints and iris scanned like a common criminal then you are in a massive database for who knows how long or for what purpose.

Being a foreigner you will have NO rights in America which is not that much different to the citizens (who are actually subjects) there.
Truthseeker

Seaford, Australia

#27 Jan 13, 2007
Belgian, dont give up Europe for the third world of America.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 26
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Germantown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 11 hr Hipocrit 20,505
black lives zero graceland 1 Fri Cutter 8
News French Truck Coffee Making Splash in Memphis Fri guest 1
News Prince's Paisley Park To Open For Tours Thu guest 1
Does Memphis suck? (Nov '10) Aug 24 Cutter 312
Memphis Grocery Stores From The Past (Sep '11) Aug 24 teacher1 45
Memphis Night Life 80s (Jun '11) Aug 24 Ben 105

Germantown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Germantown Mortgages