Bobcats, even cougars, could be on prowl in Ohio woods, naturalists say

Jan 24, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

More... More... More... Bobcats, even cougars, could be on prowl in Ohio woods, naturalists say By Steve Bennish TIPP CITY -- Memories of running his coon dogs through Miami Valley fields and forest fill George ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
61 - 72 of 72 Comments Last updated Apr 13, 2013
First Prev
of 4
Next Last
jim

United States

#61 Nov 26, 2010
There are bob cats in Ohio but if you see a cougar it probably was someones pet at one time. There should be laws against keeping large cats but like every thing else .
Myron-

United States

#62 Dec 16, 2010
Big Bopper wrote:
Where were these cougars when I was young?
I could've really dug a Mrs. Robinson!
What you are describing reminds me of a bobcat. Some years ago in the early 1980's a few friends and I were spending some time in the woods in West Virginia. We heard a terrible wailing. We likened to a woman slowly being torchered to death.Then one of our party saw a bobcat shortly after in the direct vicinity of the wailing. The sound would make you tingle all over. It was humbling to hear that sound when you are all alone in the woods. I'll never forget it.
Woodsman

Lancaster, OH

#63 Jan 18, 2011
djackson wrote:
hey i live in whitehall ohio (just outside of columbus and 2 days ago i was walking my dog at a park near my house and i was back in the woods i was following a set of dear tracks and i started to look around and there were a set of prints bigger then any dog or bobcat i have ever seen it was about 4 or 5 inches long i could tell it wasent man made by how claw marks had been place in the same place on the tip of every print also there were no human prints near the area were i was so i need to know if it is possible for a cougar or a mountain lion to live in the area were i was?
No, & no way.

There are no cougars in Ohio, unless it was on a vary, very rare occasion of an escaped pet. Heck, there are people that claim to see Bigfoot, pumas, werewolves, even Elvis. The fact is there are no wild cougars in Ohio...end of story.
Woodsman

Lancaster, OH

#64 Jan 18, 2011
Shoe wrote:
It is possible for these cats to be in certain areas of southern Ohio. I know that there are rattle snakes and there isn't suppose to be so it is entirely possible for several forms of wild life to be living in Ohio when they aren't suppose to be according to wild life experts.
No there are not cougars in southern Ohio. You are right that there are rattlesnakes in Ohio (timber rattlesnake & the massasauga rattlesnamke). Both species are endangered, are rarely found, and contrary to what you stated- are supposed to exist in Ohio. I am a wildlife expert and believe me, you will never hear a true wildlife expert state that there are no rattlesnakes in Ohio, or that there are cougars (or pumas for that matter) in Ohio, unless they are the rare cat that escapes from a captive breeder.
South Point

Chicago, IL

#65 Jan 29, 2011
My family owns a 200 hundred acre farm in the most southern part of Ohio that is very close to the Wayne national forest, I stumbled across this topic after a visit to my parents who were transferred from Ashland AK. I am also a wildlife expert and I can say there have been no reports of cougar spotted. We have trapped bobcats, black bear, and spotted bald eagle along the Ohio river but no cougar.
Big thumb

Delaware, OH

#66 Jan 30, 2011
The idea that a mountain lion or cougar as they are also known to be living in Ohio is not impossible.The North Eastern side and Southern part of Ohio are semi mountainous enough and secluded enough that these cats could secret themselves away with the possibility of being spotted a rarity.I believe that we already have bobcats here,but like the cougar,they are a rarity and very sneaky preferring to stay hidden and away from populated areas when possible.To further this belief,30 years ago,coyotes were unheard of in Ohio as were black bears.However,they have made their return with the bears being rare and the coyotes now being everywhere.Even in big cities.
Will a cougar ever turn up? Probably,eventually as the population increases.But to find one now would take an extensive amount of night time filming over bait with ALOT of footage coming back with nothing more than common Ohio predatory animals we know are already here.
Big thumb

Delaware, OH

#67 Jan 30, 2011
DrC Ohio wrote:
<quoted text>
I believe hunters can kill as many coyotes as they can. If I recall the Ohio DNR does not have a season no wild boar or coyote-you can kill them anytime.
In Ohio,you CAN kill coyotes year round as they are now a wide spread nuisance,however,I think that you are still required to call in and report the coyote for records.I could be wrong,but usually the ODNR likes to keep track of larger animals that are harvested and nuisance animals to track their movements and populations.
Wow

Springboro, OH

#68 Jan 30, 2011
When camping in Morgan Co. about 7 years ago, a park ranger informed us that he knew the location of a mountain lion den. I know a couple others who claim to have seen cougars in Athens county.
For what its worth (bring on the jokes), I also know a few who swear up and down to have seen bigfoot in Ohio. These guys wouldn't be described as wackos either. I'd dismiss most stories like these, but the one man is well respected in his community. Not sure what he saw, but he did see something.
roxiesol

Cincinnati, OH

#69 Mar 2, 2011
About a week ago I was coming up the South ridge ramp and an animal ran across infront of my car. This animal was fairly large with longish ears and what looked like a bobbed tail. It was grey with a tuft of white fur under it's head. It was moving fast bounding across the ramp and I saw it clear enough to know that it wasn't a coyote. My freind who was with said that it was a coyote --but, it wasn't I've seen plenty of coyote. I've spent time since that sighting wondering what it could have been --and so I ask the question: could it have been a wild cat? Some of the pictures I've seen show them as grey --could wild cats live as far down as Cincinnati?
Cat spotter

Topeka, KS

#70 Mar 10, 2011
I believe that I drove past one last week at about 7 a.m. in the morning outside of west alexandria on US 35. It was about 200 yards out away from the road in a field. At first I thought it was a dog or coyote but when i slowed down to take a good look It definately looked like a cougar. I was very stunned and was second guessing myself. I thought there is no way thats a cougar, but I am almost postive it was one.
high on the hill

Cincinnati, OH

#71 Mar 22, 2011
Exciting topic! A lone bobcat could kill certain types of deer; old, sick, babies. It's not the deer killer a cougar is but they could help with our over-population of deer! The thought of cougars in Ohio is a little unerving since there are plenty of instances of them stalking human prey out west. It must take your breath away when you see one in this area!
Jeanie

Logan, OH

#72 Apr 13, 2013
I've heard the sound of a cougar when I was younger, in athens county ohio. Probably in the early 90's. it's the only wild cat that sounds like that.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Germantown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 21 min Canton 30,522
Aaron fannigan 20 hr he aint all into you 2
Jeremy Shane Temple-Dog abuser (Oct '13) Aug 26 AngelFace 134
Leah Stacy Aug 24 Jason 1
Middletown Gangs (Apr '13) Aug 24 Jason 28
PREYTONIE, Paul R. Aug 23 SCOTT SMITH 1
OH Who do you support for Treasurer in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) Aug 20 Marvin Levels 188
•••
Germantown Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Germantown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Germantown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE