How Costco is clobbering Wal-Mart and...

How Costco is clobbering Wal-Mart and Target

Posted in the Gerber Forum

First Prev
of 14
Next Last
LOL

Sacramento, CA

#1 Mar 12, 2013
Why I shop at Costco and Winco whenever I can:

Their staff speaks English and not Russian.

Their staff is helpful and courteous.

Their prices are extremely competitive.

Employees get better pay than say wally –mart.

All employees get benefits and not just management like at wally –mart.

Butt most of all, I enjoy seeing all the pseudo rich people who looked down their noses at my family because we didn’t, couldn’t afford to shop at the ritzy stores during the housing bubble who now are forced to shop at Winco and Costco.

http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx...
LOL

Sacramento, CA

#3 Mar 12, 2013
Here we have more bull from douche -bag one. According to douche -bag one no rich person ha ever lost their wealth and that douche -bag one is a stalker!

“Government IS the problem.”

Since: Jan 08

Chico, CA

#5 Mar 12, 2013
LOL wrote:
Why I shop at Costco and Winco whenever I can:
Their staff speaks English and not Russian.
Their staff is helpful and courteous.
Their prices are extremely competitive.
Employees get better pay than say wally –mart.
All employees get benefits and not just management like at wally –mart.
Butt most of all, I enjoy seeing all the pseudo rich people who looked down their noses at my family because we didn’t, couldn’t afford to shop at the ritzy stores during the housing bubble who now are forced to shop at Winco and Costco.
http://money.msn.com/now/post.aspx...
Funny, the people who I know that work at Walmart are not management and they do have benefits.
Not exactly

Colusa, CA

#7 Mar 13, 2013
Sam Lowree wrote:
<quoted text>
Funny, the people who I know that work at Walmart are not management and they do have benefits.
"California taxpayers are spending $86 million a year providing healthcare and other public assistance to the state’s 44,000 Wal-Mart employees, according to a new study by UC Berkeley’s Institute for Industrial Relations.

The study,“Hidden Cost of Wal-Mart Jobs,” found that the average Wal-Mart worker required $730 in taxpayer-funded healthcare and $1,222 in other forms of assistance, such as food stamps and subsidized housing, to get by.

Even compared to other retailers, Wal-Mart imposes an especially large burden on taxpayers. Wal-Mart workers earn 31 percent less than the average for workers at large retail companies (more than 1,000 employees), the study found, and require 39 percent more in public assistance."

Etc.

http://www.ilsr.org/new-study-finds-walmarts-...
No Bet ever won

United States

#8 Mar 13, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
really toad???
Please post were I said no rich person ever lost money???
So tell us about your heavy half ton and how you ripped of Ca by buying out of the state as you did not one dime of taxes to go to the state???
But you are more fun than a barrel of monkeys......And dumber than a pet rock.......
Ahahahahahaha self described Rich One, you have lost MILLIONS on BAD Political Bets if you are NOT A LIAR! By the way I still have not received that Yacht you lost to me in the Ca. Governors Election back in 08 LIAR ONE.

How are those $44/ounce bricks of Mexican Sliver doin? LOSER ONE!!! Ahahahahaha rent out your EuroTrashSlutWife and go buy a 70 peso taco. You will feel better after you have eaten this week!

But since you are a CONFIRMED LIAR why don't YOU show us where you never said that. Ahahahahaha it's a Here is One question!
LOL

Sacramento, CA

#9 Mar 13, 2013
Not exactly wrote:
<quoted text>
"California taxpayers are spending $86 million a year providing healthcare and other public assistance to the state’s 44,000 Wal-Mart employees, according to a new study by UC Berkeley’s Institute for Industrial Relations.
The study,“Hidden Cost of Wal-Mart Jobs,” found that the average Wal-Mart worker required $730 in taxpayer-funded healthcare and $1,222 in other forms of assistance, such as food stamps and subsidized housing, to get by.
Even compared to other retailers, Wal-Mart imposes an especially large burden on taxpayers. Wal-Mart workers earn 31 percent less than the average for workers at large retail companies (more than 1,000 employees), the study found, and require 39 percent more in public assistance."
Etc.
After making my original post and seeing douche -bag ones response I went to the wally -mart internet employment site and saw that yes, wally –mart does offer numerous benefits which the employee mostly pays for. Next I went to the wally –marts in Lincoln and Rocklin and talked to numerous employees who said they weren’t eligible for the benefits wally –mart offers because they, the employees I talked to were restricted to limited hours thus making said employees ineligible for any of those benefits.
Same story I’ve heard from wally –mart employees over the years.

So I stand by the statement that wally –mart employees don’t get squat for benefits.
One Like One

Brooklyn, NY

#11 Mar 13, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes that is what liberals want you to believe as their gods told them that..........LOL
They parrot anything and everything they are told to parrot.....
Sounds like you and Alex Jones....
Not douche -bag one

Sacramento, CA

#12 Mar 13, 2013
Funny how douche -bag one keeps making up crap. for a troll he's really not to smart. Whole foods has a great list of benefits that its EMPLOYEES VOTE ON.
Dumb move

Colusa, CA

#14 Mar 13, 2013
Seems to me that would be a bad business decision for Whole Foods, their clientele is mainly lefties. That would be like the Guns and Ammo Emporium openly protesting for "choice" and "gay marriage". Might piss off the majority of their clientele don't ya think?

“Government IS the problem.”

Since: Jan 08

Chico, CA

#16 Mar 13, 2013
Not exactly wrote:
<quoted text>
Etc.
It seems odd to me that so many of you Lefties abhor Walmart when they are the largest employer in this nation. Where are the other companies who provide better pay and benefits? Why are they not employing as many people as Walmart?

I would like to see some comparisons for other corporations when it comes to government subsidized health care. Especially since the government is, before the the nightmare of Obamacare, already involved in almost 50% of the health care costs in this country.

&pl aynext=1&list=PL8E709BB0E0 8AFD2F&feature=results_mai n

Thank God for Walmart! Walmart is an economic miracle that we should all be proud of.
Tea Party Solution

Paradise, CA

#17 Mar 14, 2013
Sam Lowree wrote:
<quoted text>
It seems odd to me that so many of you Lefties abhor Walmart when they are the largest employer in this nation. Where are the other companies who provide better pay and benefits? Why are they not employing as many people as Walmart?
I would like to see some comparisons for other corporations when it comes to government subsidized health care. Especially since the government is, before the the nightmare of Obamacare, already involved in almost 50% of the health care costs in this country.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v =Y-o1fj1rX7AXX&playnext=1 &list=PL8E709BB0E08AFD2F &feature=results_main
Thank God for Walmart! Walmart is an economic miracle that we should all be proud of.
Walmart is one of the largest of the corporate welfare queens. A big percentage of their employees are paid so little that they need to get government assistance, such as Medicaid.

Who pays for this government assistance? We the taxpayers pay for this.

The Walton family is worth @ 96 billion. We taxpayers are paying to support their wealth and corporate dynasty. Despite Walmart's rosy commercials, their employees are suffering. If you think that we should all be proud of this BS we have very different ideas of what is worthy of our pride.

The following link shows, state by state, the amount of people on Medicaid who work for some of our largest corporations. I'll just list a few fo the states. Go to this site to see the others. http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/corporate-subsid...

Alabama
In April 2005 the Mobile Register published an article citing data from the Alabama Medicaid Agency on companies in the state with employees whose children are participating in Medicaid. The newspaper obtained a list from the agency of 63 companies whose employees had 100 or more children in the program as of mid-March 2005. At the top of the list was Wal-Mart, whose employees had 4,700 children in the program. Following it were McDonald's (1,931), Hardee's (884) and Burger King (861). The data were similar to information obtained from the same agency by the Montgomery Advertiser two months earlier.

Florida
In March 2005 the St. Petersburg Times published a summary of data it obtained from the Department of Children and Families on the employers in the state with the most workers who were enrolled in Medicaid or KidCare Insurance (Florida's version of SCHIP). Leading the Medicaid list was Wal-Mart with 12,300 employees or their dependents enrolled in the program. Wal-Mart also accounted for 1,375 employee children enrolled in Kidcare (second only to Miami-Dade County with 1,518). The other employers with the most Medicaid enrollees were McDonald's (8,100), Publix (7,900), Wendy's (4,100), Winn-Dixie (4,000) and Burger King (3,900). Publix ranked third on the KidCare list with 1,250 and Winn-Dixie ranked fifth (after Broward County Schools) with 379.

Sam, this is crazy. You want to applaud billionaire-run companies who pay so little that we taxpayers have to pay the balance.
Tea Party Solution

Paradise, CA

#18 Mar 14, 2013
Here's more about the glorious Walmart:

http://www.andmagazine.com/content/phoenix/12...

Here are the facts: The average Walmart employee working 34 hours per week makes just over $15,000 per year on an average wage of $8.81 per hour.

Most Walmart employees are among the 25 percent of all American workers making less than $10 per hour.

As much as 80 percent of Walmart workers are on food stamps and add up to some of the largest recipients of Medicaid in many states.

By the droves, Walmart kids and families are on the All Kids or Peach Care programs. In Arkansas, they call it ARKids First, but in fact it should really be called "Walmart Kids First" since they make up the majority and highest number of beneficiaries.

Shouldn't someone tell the Walton family that there's no such thing as a free lunch? Nearly two billion dollars annually burden the American taxpayer to subsidize the low-price, low-wage cost for a mega-corporation who profits each year between 15 and 20 billion dollars.

But as it turns out, one of the biggest welfare queens in this country doesn't live in Chicago. She doesn't live in downtown Detroit.

She (Walmart Corp) lives in Bentonville, Arkansas and she's sucking over five million dollars per day from the government dole and bloating our national debt even greater!

She's the wealthiest damn family in the whole wide freaking world. Where are you conservatives? Where are you Tea Partiers? I can hear Ronald Reagan rolling in his grave.

These are our tax dollars and we're trying to pay down an overblown national debt while one of the richest companies in this land is having us subsidize their shortsighted greed that forces millions of American workers into a life of government dependency.

This is not capitalism. This is not the free market. These are not Republican values. Or are they?
Tea Party Solution

Paradise, CA

#19 Mar 14, 2013
So, Walmart pays its employees so little that we taxpayers have to make up the difference. Not only is this type of corporate cronyism a moral rip-off of Walmart's employees, and of us taxpayers,-- it's also stupid for Walmart.

Sam may think that paying as small a wage as possible is just smart capitalism, but how is it that Costco pays its employees 65% more and yet is very successfull?

How is it that Costco has 80% of its employees on company health insurance, and Walmart has less than half? And Costco pays most of the healthcare premiums while Walmart pays about a third.

So how can Costco compete?

"Costco’s practices are clearly more expensive, but they have an offsetting cost-containment effect: Turnover is unusually low, at 17% overall and just 6% after one year’s employment. In contrast, turnover at Wal-Mart is 44% a year, close to the industry average. In skilled and semi-skilled jobs, the fully loaded cost of replacing a worker who leaves (excluding lost productivity) is typically 1.5 to 2.5 times the worker’s annual salary. "

http://hbr.org/2006/12/the-high-cost-of-low-w...

So, in its short-sighted, mean-spirited, greed-- Walmart would rather keep its employess as poverty line welfare recipients, sucking our tax dollars at the same time, then face the fact that treating their employees better could actually improve their bottom line.

Yeah, we should really adore Walmart.
You cant read can ya

United States

#20 Mar 14, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
Just wait for oslamacare..........Walmart said everyone except managers will be on a part time schedule..........LOL
But so did whole foods..........ROTFLMAO
Ahhh ya darn MexiTroll, Can you read? They are already on PART TIME STATUS. That is why they are inelligable for benefits! That is why Obama Cares!
Can you get any more stupid mexiTroll? Clearly, YES! You prove it everyday here.
Thank GOD you self deported and are not covered by the Healthcare Initiative. You have saved all americand BILLIONS of DOLLARS by your self deportation! WE are ALL Gratefull to you MexiTroll!
Stay in Mexico 1

United States

#21 Mar 14, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
Because they speak the truth???
Have you seen the numbers that support oslamacare now???
just wait until we see the cost start to add up........
People that pay for their healthcare are seeing huge increases..........Blue Cross sent out letters with their increase showing how oslamacare is raising their insurance prices.....
YOU are a PROVEN IDIOT!
Local

Hidden Valley Lake, CA

#22 Mar 14, 2013
Tea Party Solution wrote:
<quoted text>
Walmart is one of the largest of the corporate welfare queens. A big percentage of their employees are paid so little that they need to get government assistance, such as Medicaid.
Who pays for this government assistance? We the taxpayers pay for this.
The Walton family is worth @ 96 billion. We taxpayers are paying to support their wealth and corporate dynasty. Despite Walmart's rosy commercials, their employees are suffering. If you think that we should all be proud of this BS we have very different ideas of what is worthy of our pride.
The following link shows, state by state, the amount of people on Medicaid who work for some of our largest corporations. I'll just list a few fo the states. Go to this site to see the others. http://www.goodjobsfirst.org/corporate-subsid...
Alabama
In April 2005 the Mobile Register published an article citing data from the Alabama Medicaid Agency on companies in the state with employees whose children are participating in Medicaid. The newspaper obtained a list from the agency of 63 companies whose employees had 100 or more children in the program as of mid-March 2005. At the top of the list was Wal-Mart, whose employees had 4,700 children in the program. Following it were McDonald's (1,931), Hardee's (884) and Burger King (861). The data were similar to information obtained from the same agency by the Montgomery Advertiser two months earlier.
Florida
In March 2005 the St. Petersburg Times published a summary of data it obtained from the Department of Children and Families on the employers in the state with the most workers who were enrolled in Medicaid or KidCare Insurance (Florida's version of SCHIP). Leading the Medicaid list was Wal-Mart with 12,300 employees or their dependents enrolled in the program. Wal-Mart also accounted for 1,375 employee children enrolled in Kidcare (second only to Miami-Dade County with 1,518). The other employers with the most Medicaid enrollees were McDonald's (8,100), Publix (7,900), Wendy's (4,100), Winn-Dixie (4,000) and Burger King (3,900). Publix ranked third on the KidCare list with 1,250 and Winn-Dixie ranked fifth (after Broward County Schools) with 379.
Sam, this is crazy. You want to applaud billionaire-run companies who pay so little that we taxpayers have to pay the balance.
If what you say is accurate, why hasn't obama done something about this "travesty" after 4 years in office?
obama has issued hundreds of executive orders,
http://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-room/presi...
Surely a slick politician like obama could do something about this travesty?
Either you are posting false information, or obama is allowing this huge "travesty" to continue.
Which is it?
Not exactly

Colusa, CA

#23 Mar 14, 2013
Sam Lowree wrote:
<quoted text>
They employ so many people because they sell cheap chinese products and don't pay their employees a living wage. Thus their products are cheap. And most people are too short sighted to see that their products are not as cheap as they appear when you add in the tax burden, so people shop threir and they sell alot. It is sad really.
Sam Lowree wrote:
<quoted text>
"I would like to see some comparisons for other corporations when it comes to government subsidized health care..
The study I cited included comparisons for other corporations and talked specifically about those numbers.
Did you miss that part?
Disrespectful One

Napa, CA

#26 Mar 14, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
If not for walmart the majority of these people would be unemployed........
But moronic liberals are too stupid to understand that......
15k per year is better than 0 per year..........
Why do morons think that other morons should be paid more than they are worth???
And there is your disrespect for the common man....thanks Mitt One!
MexiLiarCoward

United States

#28 Mar 14, 2013
Here Is One wrote:
<quoted text>
People need to understand that there will always be morons like you that can only be a shipping troll and will never be anything more........
But moronic liberals would rather a Company like Walmart not hire people that cant even work in a faced paced job like McDonalds..........
And you are proof positive.......
People do understand that you are a MORON.

Thanks again for proving it once more.

You are doing a great job.
Not douche -bag one

Sacramento, CA

#29 Mar 14, 2013
Benefits for US Team Members
Our company has been recognized by FORTUNE magazine as one of the "100 Best Companies to Work For" in America — every year since the list began in 1998.
Medical Care
• PPO Medical Plan and prescription program administered by UnitedHealthcare.
• Team members are eligible to participate after 400 service hours
•$10 premium for full-time team member coverage after 800 service hours (dependent coverage, including domestic partner, is additional)
• No cost for full-time team member and dependent coverage after 10,000 service hours (approximately 5 years)
Personal Wellness Account
• Company-funded account helps cover the costs of out-of-pocket allowable health care expenses.
• Full-time team members are eligible for this account after 800 service hours
•$300 to $1,800 annually, based on years of service
• Access to funds through a special debit card
• Remaining funds will roll over at the end of the year
Dental Plan
• Whole Foods Market offers three options for dental coverage administered by CIGNA. Team members are eligible to participate after 400 service hours
• Coverage is available for you and your dependents
Vision Plan
• Whole Foods Market offers the Vision Service Plan (VSP) to provide eye care benefits.
• Coverage is available for you and your dependents
Health Care Reimbursement Account
• Flexible Spending Account, allows you to contribute pre-tax funds to pay for eligible out-of-pocket health care expenses.
• Access to funds through a special debit card
Dependent Care Reimbursement Account
• Flexible Spending Account, allows you to contribute pre-tax funds to pay for anticipated day care expenses incurred while you are at work.
Life Insurance
• Whole Foods Market offers different types and levels of life insurance coverage.
• Life, Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance available at two levels of coverage, as well as coverage for your spouse and children

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 14
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gerber Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lib Bureaucrats Don't Understand Business 42 min Hear is One 13
Gee another Liberal Democrat 2 hr Did try One 5
they make up their own news 3 hr Maturity Problems 8
Can We Trust the FBI? 3 hr Grandpas Secret B... 14
nbc pay out for chris matthews sex harassment 5 hr Liberals Luv To T... 2
News Messianic Jews say they are persecuted in Israel (Jun '08) 12 hr Ben Avraham 72,047
regrets!!! 15 hr First Amendment 8

Gerber Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gerber Mortgages