Dayton asks for $3 million to protect...

Dayton asks for $3 million to protect Georgetown

There are 13 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Apr 15, 2011, titled Dayton asks for $3 million to protect Georgetown. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Gov. Mark Dayton administration's wants $3 million to protect the tiny western Minnesota town of Georgetown from future floods.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

Takin Ahliq al Muhamed

Burnsville, MN

#1 Apr 15, 2011
That is $23,255.81 per person. A family of 4 get's $93,023.
I've got a family of 4. I could use $93k. But I guess I didn't buy a house in flood zone... Oh well. Maybe I'll be irresponible enough next time to get $93,000 from the state's already empty coughers...

And those people didn't realize that river was going to rise?
Look a tornado comes through. Help a community out. But floods? Floods are foreseable.

So you buy some houses out that shouldn't have been built there in the first place and you build a dike.

The dike displaces the natural flow of water downstream affecting communities there.

The farmer outside of town is going to need assistance now because the unnatrual flow of water is going to flood his manure pit and then the EPA will need to come in and mitigate the damage....

When will it end?
Takin Ahliq al Muhamed

Burnsville, MN

#2 Apr 15, 2011
hee hheee hhee

They think I'm saying something bad when I tyep an earthen dam to hold back the water.
empty pockets

Saint Paul, MN

#3 Apr 15, 2011
Would it be cheaper just to move the town to higher ground?

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#4 Apr 15, 2011
with that much money, the state could put those people (the whole town of 125 ppl) in hotel rooms out of town for 2 weeks every spring for the next 60 years.
TAC

Saint Paul, MN

#5 Apr 15, 2011
The problem with just moving them is that you have their stuff to move also. The house isn't just okay because the people leave. The house would become mold infested.

The town is already an island. The problem is that they've already changed things north of there, which maybe 20 years ago the town didn't flood to this extent, and maybe those homes were okay at that time. We've had a few years of the 100 year flood. Maybe we're good now for the next 200 years? Probably not.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#6 Apr 15, 2011
If the average household has 4 people, the 19 buy-outs mentioned in this article will relocate 60% of the town's population.

What's the point?

Since: Jul 10

White Bear Lake, MN

#7 Apr 15, 2011
According to Wikipedia (they have been known to be wrong) as of the 2000 Census there were 125 people living in Georgetown. Take the $3 million and give every man, woman, and child $24 thousand to go live someplace else. End of story!

Since: Jun 08

Saint Paul, MN

#8 Apr 15, 2011
Dayton has as much economic expertise as Obama. None. This is not an unusual event. Besides, we are broke.

Most of the homes, if not all, on the current real estate market would not fetch $92,000.(family of four).

Are we to reward people for making foolish decisions? Buying property on a flood plane is your choice, live with it.
MN Native

Saint Paul, MN

#9 Apr 15, 2011
Dayton gives money to all the wrong places. He is a joke! He will run this State into the ground.
right on Target

Saint Paul, MN

#10 Apr 15, 2011
MN Native wrote:
Dayton gives money to all the wrong places. He is a joke! He will run this State into the ground.
That's because Dayton has never had to earn any of his own money. He thinks money grows on trees.
artur

Albuquerque, NM

#11 Apr 15, 2011
I think he should also call for one million for Wanda, $17,000 for Colfax, $49.27 for Truman, 76,000 Pesos for Mickey's Diner, and 17 billion for the lawyer that could sue his psychiatrist for malpractice.
digger

Saint Paul, MN

#12 Apr 16, 2011
$3 MILLION for 129 residents?? Are you kidding me? This is a wise use of taxpayer funds? I've never heard of 'Georgetown' being flooded before, what happened this year?

Since: Jul 08

Saint Paul, MN

#13 Apr 16, 2011
PBMcWatt wrote:
According to Wikipedia (they have been known to be wrong) as of the 2000 Census there were 125 people living in Georgetown. Take the $3 million and give every man, woman, and child $24 thousand to go live someplace else. End of story!
if every citizen is in the flood plain which im sure is not the case. so its probably much higher.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Childhood Memories Growing up In Hendrum In Th... (Mar '09) Oct '14 Seth Ashford 5
Barrack Obama (Sep '13) Sep '13 Melodi Mancos 1
News Minnesota House defeats $47M in bonds for flood... (May '11) May '11 Mike 30
News VCU goes long distance to upset Georgetown 74-56 (Mar '11) Apr '11 Saint Paul 92
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Nov '10 DJ 4
News Authorities identify man dead in tractor rollov... (Apr '10) Apr '10 Felix The Wonderf... 3
News The guy behind the guy (Dec '08) Dec '09 girlish 28

Georgetown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Georgetown Mortgages