VCU goes long distance to upset Georg...

VCU goes long distance to upset Georgetown 74-56

There are 92 comments on the TwinCities.com story from Mar 18, 2011, titled VCU goes long distance to upset Georgetown 74-56. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Lyssa Ducharme and Trevor Robinson with their baby, Bentley, in 2010 . Robinson died March 17, 2011, at age 19 after ingesting a drug at a Blaine Party.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Freedom Lover

Minneapolis, MN

#1 Mar 19, 2011
"'You may be able to purchase it on the internet, but it isn't legal.' Drug Enforcement Administration spokes-man Rusty Payne." Huh? Where do I look on the net for Codine, Morphine, LSD, PCP, or marijuana for that matter? I don't consider myself the suspicous sort of a guy but I'm thinking that if I had the drugs I mentioned delivered via US Mail that there'd be a real liklihood that there'd be an additional knock on the door.
Up North

Minneapolis, MN

#2 Mar 19, 2011
What does a man say about all this? Lyssa, this bad time isn't over but you can give your child a good life. Look to the good people around you and stay close to them.
adult

Prior Lake, MN

#3 Mar 19, 2011
Tragedy is something that can not be helped, sometimes described as "act of God". This was not a tragedy, it was easily avoicded. This boys death, and all the outcomes related to it are specific to his choices. The life style he chose and his family and friends accepted. Demand more from yourself and more importantly from those around you. Sadly there are few social pressures to do the right thing. It is a hollow feeling to want more for other people than they want for them selves.
Doc

Burnsville, MN

#4 Mar 19, 2011
Prison. When he gets out he has to support the victim's child for life.
Continence

Cold Spring, MN

#5 Mar 19, 2011
So now what?

Does society lock up the "man" for years and years in a cage, so that this "man" doesn't make another mistake?

Is the soul that died any more dead than a 19 year old "man" that is killed by a 21 year old "woman" drunk driver?

These are stupid kids making stupid choices. Calling them adults doesn't make it so....adults don't party with 16 year olds.

But back in the day some 16 year old "men" enlisted to fight our country's enemy's. These were no doubt "men"....but these kids by any measure except a calendar are not "men".

The consequences of these choices does sometimes end in early death to those that partake in the stupidity....and no doubt the "man" that died was a key player in the consequences he suffered.

We need a better system than putting men in cages, institutionalizing them, taking away the humanity they aquired from their bad choices.

Taking financial care of his friends child would be a great start to a new system.

Maybe a public beating once a year for 5 years....it is certainly more humane than a human cage, and definately more effective to change behavior.
Siskel and Ebert

Minneapolis, MN

#6 Mar 19, 2011
Continence wrote:
So now what?
Does society lock up the "man" for years and years in a cage, so that this "man" doesn't make another mistake?
Is the soul that died any more dead than a 19 year old "man" that is killed by a 21 year old "woman" drunk driver?
These are stupid kids making stupid choices. Calling them adults doesn't make it so....adults don't party with 16 year olds.
But back in the day some 16 year old "men" enlisted to fight our country's enemy's. These were no doubt "men"....but these kids by any measure except a calendar are not "men".
The consequences of these choices does sometimes end in early death to those that partake in the stupidity....and no doubt the "man" that died was a key player in the consequences he suffered.
We need a better system than putting men in cages, institutionalizing them, taking away the humanity they aquired from their bad choices.
Taking financial care of his friends child would be a great start to a new system.
Maybe a public beating once a year for 5 years....it is certainly more humane than a human cage, and definately more effective to change behavior.
I actually agree with you, maybe for a different reason. I take issue with the Food & Drug Administration regulating the hell out of cigarettes but ingoring these much more lethal chemicals. Eitherr they're the Nanny or their not!
Hans

Edgerton, WI

#7 Mar 19, 2011
whatever happened to good ole LSD or Mushrooms? Snorting white poweder purchased on the internet sounds like a crap shoot to me. Kids were just trying to catch a buzz......legalize reefer!
Libertarian

Little Falls, MN

#8 Mar 19, 2011
Im sorry but this other kid doesnt belong in jail. He did not force Robinson to take "more and More" until "he freaked out". Im sorry the kid in jail will get nothing as he shouldnt. I agree its sad and my heart goes out to the Robinson family, but this kid is not a murderer or a even a manslaughterer. He is a drug dealer and should be treated as such.
Jackpine savage

Gilbert, AZ

#9 Mar 19, 2011
Poor white trash from northern burbs, drop-outs, parents as teens, the list goes on. Trying to blame the medical providers for death. No honor students here. Always depicted as "turning their life arounds", right. Tragic.
dredge the gene pool

Minneapolis, MN

#10 Mar 19, 2011
Dumb and ugly like most north metro criminals. Push face into dough to make gorilla cookies.

Since: Mar 11

Minneapolis, MN

#11 Mar 19, 2011
You can't blame the paramedics. They probably dispatched 2-3 people to deal with 11 overdoses when normally they would be dealing with 1. I'd say the brother they are quoting is in shock and mourning and is just saying things and they are being published.
Zingbopper

Chaska, MN

#12 Mar 19, 2011
Users r losers.

“Keeping the Hive Alive!”

Since: Jul 10

Minneapolis

#13 Mar 19, 2011
Libertarian wrote:
Im sorry but this other kid doesnt belong in jail. He did not force Robinson to take "more and More" until "he freaked out". Im sorry the kid in jail will get nothing as he shouldnt. I agree its sad and my heart goes out to the Robinson family, but this kid is not a murderer or a even a manslaughterer. He is a drug dealer and should be treated as such.
He's not even an "illegal" drug dealer. If I give you some anti-freeze and you drink it am I guilty for poisoning you? We come from a society where there are no accidents or stupid mistakes and there is always someone or something to blame.
digger

Minneapolis, MN

#14 Mar 19, 2011
What a bunch of losers. Somebody, anybody, please tell me how many of all of those who overdosed on this dope graduated from high school with a B average or better -- the answer is probably ZERO. To those who think that I'm being unfair or insensitive, well -- TOO BAD. These losers just cost the taxpayers tons of money for the medical care, investigation, prosecution, and imprisonment for their stupid actions. Stupid actions often result in unpleasant reactions. So, go ahead and exercise your freedom to do dope, but remember that sooner or later, there will be consequences to deal with.
Fonzi

United States

#15 Mar 19, 2011
Does Minnesota have an Ex Post Facto Law? Why is this kid in jail or even locked up?
kooskin

Kalamazoo, MI

#16 Mar 19, 2011
"My guess is that he was a little upset," Robinson said. "He was trying to do well and work things out with the mother of the child, but I think he just wanted to forget about things for a little while."

I would say that worked out pretty well for him.

Heaven forbid he try spending time with his child to get away from it all.

What a a waste.
Champ111

Anoka, MN

#17 Mar 19, 2011
"Does Minnesota have an Ex Post Facto Law? Why is this kid in jail or even locked up?"

Do you even know what an ex post fact law is?
yo-yo

Inver Grove Heights, MN

#18 Mar 19, 2011
Freedom Lover wrote:
"'You may be able to purchase it on the internet, but it isn't legal.' Drug Enforcement Administration spokes-man Rusty Payne." Huh? Where do I look on the net for Codine, Morphine, LSD, PCP, or marijuana for that matter? I don't consider myself the suspicous sort of a guy but I'm thinking that if I had the drugs I mentioned delivered via US Mail that there'd be a real liklihood that there'd be an additional knock on the door.
You need to go get drunk,like areal man would.
Fonzi

United States

#19 Mar 19, 2011
Champ111 wrote:
"Does Minnesota have an Ex Post Facto Law? Why is this kid in jail or even locked up?"
Do you even know what an ex post fact law is?
Yes I do, apparently you do not so let me define it for you.

An ex post facto law comes from Latin for "from after the action" or a retroactive law. Ex post facto is a law that retroactively changes the legal consequences or the status of actions committed or relationships that existed prior to the enactment of a law.

This is basic criminology, had you known this you would have never asked me if I did. Since you are so smart, I ask you specifically, does Minnesota have an ex post facto law?
Fonzi

United States

#20 Mar 19, 2011
Never mind, I answered my own question. Minnesota is expressly prohibited from enacting an ex post facto law by article I, section 10 of the United States Constitution and article 1, section 11 of the Minnesota Constitution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Childhood Memories Growing up In Hendrum In Th... (Mar '09) Jun '17 Joanna Backman 6
Barrack Obama (Sep '13) Sep '13 Melodi Mancos 1
News Minnesota House defeats $47M in bonds for flood... (May '11) May '11 Mike 30
News Dayton asks for $3 million to protect Georgetown (Apr '11) Apr '11 jw in the grove 13
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Nov '10 DJ 4
News Authorities identify man dead in tractor rollov... (Apr '10) Apr '10 Felix The Wonderf... 3
News The guy behind the guy (Dec '08) Dec '09 girlish 28

Georgetown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Georgetown Mortgages