First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Why

United States

#1 Aug 27, 2010
What has Varney done for our city that makes him such a good choice for Mayor?

Do you really support him, or are you just fed up with Sames?
wacka flacka

Oregon, IL

#2 Aug 27, 2010
Nobody ever really liked Sames either...they just wanted rid of Varney. Guess ppl will have to go with the lesser of the two evils.
Why

United States

#3 Aug 27, 2010
Not sure who that is....
Myob

United States

#4 Aug 27, 2010
Anyone know anything about the write-in Steve Price?
Long time resident

Lexington, KY

#5 Aug 27, 2010
Varney is the best choice for this town. He was able to put road paving into the budget and it made the city look much better. He was also able to keep, if not hire, city employees. Sames has alienated all of the public service employees by cutting jobs and health care. Steve Price rides an old bicycle around town and cuts his grass with a sickle. Of course this information is "what I have heard." I do not know the finances of this town, but I can see the poor conditions of the roads.
Pro-Varney

Winchester, KY

#6 Aug 27, 2010
I'd rather have Varney as Mayor. The hypocrite we have now will continue to ruin this city. Her videos pleading for votes is really sickening. Mayor-maybe you should have thought about the city, the personnel and the community before you screwed many of them over. Pack your stuff, Ms. Mayor, your time in office is very short. I AM one of many that will be glad when that day comes.
Curious

Berea, KY

#7 Aug 27, 2010
When Varney was mayor he actually cared about the city and the services provided to people who live here. The computer deal, which was the issue that Sames used to beat Varney, was really overblown. You had a city employee hiding invoices from the mayor and the council and then writing checks without anyone knowing the invoices hadn't been seen. The big negative with Sames is she just isn't smart enough to run the city. She has been sued almost 20 times in 3 years, while Varney was sued only 2 or 3 times in 8 years. She also campaigned against Varney's city attorney, Charlie Perkins, and said he made too much money. When she took office she hired Pat Foley, who didn't know squat about city laws, and paid her more than Perkins was making even though he had been the city attorney for 25 years. This election really is a pretty simple decision. Varney may not be Michael Bloomberg, but he's much better than the other choices
wacka flacka

Oregon, IL

#8 Aug 27, 2010
Long time resident wrote:
Varney is the best choice for this town. He was able to put road paving into the budget and it made the city look much better. He was also able to keep, if not hire, city employees. Sames has alienated all of the public service employees by cutting jobs and health care. Steve Price rides an old bicycle around town and cuts his grass with a sickle. Of course this information is "what I have heard." I do not know the finances of this town, but I can see the poor conditions of the roads.
What you heard about Steve price is correct. He also poops in his backyard because it is 'natural' fertilizer.
Myob

United States

#10 Aug 28, 2010
Georgetown needs a total overhaul not only in mayors office !!!

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#11 Aug 30, 2010
I don't know why nobody else ran for mayor other than Steve, maybe because this town is such a mess? "This is what I have heard" When Sames took office the city had 8 million coming in and 10 million going out so she had to make some cuts. Varney was a "yes" man and spent money like crazy. He bought alot of things and property that we did not need. I was told that if Varney gets back in and does like he did before that Georgetown will be bankrupt in 4 years. Sames I do not know much about but I do know there is alot of friction between her and city employees, I'm guessing because of the cuts she made to get the city finances back on track. I have seen the new budget and it does'nt seem to bad compared to what it was in the past. She does seem to be getting the city out of dept slowly but surely. My concern is if elected will Varney put us further in dept? I'm not sure who to vote for! I would sure like to hear some debates. And another thing is our city council needs a overhaul. Some of them need to be replaced. I would like to see a few average joe's on the council instead of business owners.
Anon

Morehead, KY

#12 Aug 30, 2010
seriously varney wasnt a good principal in school so how can he run a town. dont get me wrong im not for karen so much either. no one liked varney so they thought they would give her a try and they did and we all know the grass isn't always greener on the other side. regardless of who is in office we are going to have complaints but i do like how karen keeps people on their toes and she actually realizes SOME city employees need to be let go or rearranged
Mikel

Lexington, KY

#13 Aug 31, 2010
I am voting for Sames.
wacka flacka

United States

#14 Aug 31, 2010
Miss piggy!
Thats Right

Berea, KY

#15 Aug 31, 2010
Mikel wrote:
I am voting for Sames.
I'll feel even better now when I'm at the voting booth, knowing that when I vote, I'll be killing your vote.:)
Mikel

Lexington, KY

#16 Sep 1, 2010
Thats Right wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll feel even better now when I'm at the voting booth, knowing that when I vote, I'll be killing your vote.:)
And mine as well to yours :)
started it

Winchester, KY

#17 Sep 1, 2010
What are we to do with two poor candidates, and a guy who sounds like he has some good ideas but not much of a government leader. (Price)
brad

Georgetown, KY

#18 Sep 1, 2010
Varney will win by a 3 to 1 vote margin in November.
oh no

Garrett, KY

#19 Sep 1, 2010
nothing is going to really change until g-town either gets more sources of income,or cuts spending. why not get rid of the blue laws,and collect the taxes from alcahol sales?we are just giving revenue to neighboring counties.as for varney he is an alright guy.a little too far left,but alright.I do not know Mrs. sames
Needed

United States

#20 Sep 2, 2010
Need someone little younger with fresh ideas. I am glad to see someone run against George Lusby !

Since: Apr 10

Location hidden

#21 Sep 6, 2010
Thats Right wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't understand, Why did Varney lose the last time? He must not have done a very good job. My research shows he got the city in alot of dept. At least Karen is getting the city out of dept and those police cars that they just bought where paid for in cash not financed. My research so far shows she's doing pretty good as far as city finances go. Everybody wants to blame the Mayor no matter who the Mayor may be but people need to remember the city council has to approve what the Mayor does so hows it "ALL" the Mayors fault all the time? Just wondering.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
International Crankshaft (Jun '12) 1 min QNA 4
Royal Springs Middle School (Nov '10) 1 min Jesse 109
Kelly Services Tmmk (Nov '11) 1 hr YesYesYes 998
New Restaurant on Water ST 2 hr Jones 4
People asking for gas money 2 hr English 101 12
Devin Manns 3 hr Jessie 8
RC Cannon 6 hr busted 21
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Georgetown Mortgages