Wish for Scott county schools

Posted in the Georgetown Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Santa Claus

Georgetown, KY

#1 Nov 5, 2011
My wish that someone would tell my kids and me if Dr. O'Hara is going to be fired or not.

My wish that I would've heard that Jason Radford the 9th grade principal was leaving before I heard it from my kids.

My wish that the school board actually did something other than build new schools without even asking parent input.

My wish that our schools would stop sending out so much information at one time then expect us to remember it all because it is now "our responsibility".

My wish that our schools could find a better way for us parents to drop off and pick up our kids instead of having to wait in line forever blocking traffic or sitting in traffic.

What are your wishes?
waaa waaa

Washington, DC

#2 Nov 5, 2011
Santa Claus wrote:
My wish that someone would tell my kids and me if Dr. O'Hara is going to be fired or not.

My wish that I would've heard that Jason Radford the 9th grade principal was leaving before I heard it from my kids.

My wish that the school board actually did something other than build new schools without even asking parent input.

My wish that our schools would stop sending out so much information at one time then expect us to remember it all because it is now "our responsibility".

My wish that our schools could find a better way for us parents to drop off and pick up our kids instead of having to wait in line forever blocking traffic or sitting in traffic.

What are your wishes?
my wish is that people stop complaining and make things happen instead of expecting others to do it for then... and for people to have some accountability.
read the paper

United States

#3 Nov 5, 2011
Is that the principal that went to Louisville or another school? I read it in the newspaper along time ago!!
my wish

Frankfort, KY

#4 Nov 6, 2011
my wish is that they would fire that so called superintendent Putty, and leave Dr. O'Hara were he is at.
my wish too

Georgetown, KY

#5 Nov 6, 2011
Same as my wish above, we need a leader. We need someone to oversee middle school bullying problems. We also need someone to address high school overcrowding.
Honest

Washington, DC

#6 Nov 6, 2011
Idk why people think you can stop bullying. Your never going to stop it.
My wishes

United States

#7 Nov 6, 2011
I wish Scott Co schools would address the real problems instead of trying to act like nothing is wrong and our schools are great.(NOT)
I wish the bullying in the schools would be addressed instead of ACTING like they care
I wish academics would be more important than sports.
I wish classes could be smaller so the teachers could actually teach our kids.
I wish the teachers that do not make the grade would have to meet their goals or be gone.
I wish the coaches taught their players to mentors vs thugs and druggies
I wish we the citizens of Scott Co could vote for a superintendenant so we could pick one that would actually care about our kids.
I wish we could get a much needed 2nd highschool so our kids have a chance of a good eduation.
I wish parents were not allowed to coach school teams ( as assts/volunteers). CONFLICT OF INTEREST... seriously. not fair to all the kids.
I wish the kids that are bullied would be treated fairly instead of being pushed under the rug like they are to blame.
I wish kids would be able to go to school without having the disruption of disrespectful kids (cussing the teachers, disrupting the class)
I wish we had an alternative school for kids who do not learn from the mistakes they make and get sent there after 3 strikes of any type.
I wish more parents actually cared about their children and took an interest in their childrens education.
I wish my children would get the best available education instead of all the politics in the county.
I wish the money the school system has received from Toyota had gone to improving education instead of the sports programs.
I could go on and on..... this county is the pits and nothing ever changes....
Quit whining

Georgetown, KY

#8 Nov 6, 2011
My wishes wrote:
I wish Scott Co schools would address the real problems instead of trying to act like nothing is wrong and our schools are great.(NOT)
I wish the bullying in the schools would be addressed instead of ACTING like they care
I wish academics would be more important than sports.
I wish classes could be smaller so the teachers could actually teach our kids.
I wish the teachers that do not make the grade would have to meet their goals or be gone.
I wish the coaches taught their players to mentors vs thugs and druggies
I wish we the citizens of Scott Co could vote for a superintendenant so we could pick one that would actually care about our kids.
I wish we could get a much needed 2nd highschool so our kids have a chance of a good eduation.
I wish parents were not allowed to coach school teams ( as assts/volunteers). CONFLICT OF INTEREST... seriously. not fair to all the kids.
I wish the kids that are bullied would be treated fairly instead of being pushed under the rug like they are to blame.
I wish kids would be able to go to school without having the disruption of disrespectful kids (cussing the teachers, disrupting the class)
I wish we had an alternative school for kids who do not learn from the mistakes they make and get sent there after 3 strikes of any type.
I wish more parents actually cared about their children and took an interest in their childrens education.
I wish my children would get the best available education instead of all the politics in the county.
I wish the money the school system has received from Toyota had gone to improving education instead of the sports programs.
I could go on and on..... this county is the pits and nothing ever changes....
Quit whining and move out of Scott County if you don't like it. It isn't going to get any better than it is and it isn't going to do you any good to whine on here. Go to a school board meeting and try to get something done because being on Topix isn't going to help.
Tinker Bell

Georgetown, KY

#9 Nov 6, 2011
Santa Claus wrote:
What are your wishes?
Are you serious? What do you think they are going to do, have Georgetown News Graphic run a story about the firing of Dr. O'Hara BEFOFE he gets terminated, if and when it happens which is very doubtful.
Do you think that Jason Radford should have called each and every parent to let them know that he has moved to another district before he announced it to the students? He is gone for the rest of the school year. If and when he comes back, I will be sure to tell him to make sure he calls all the parents first to let them know he is coming back. He must have lost his mind taking this job and not letting you know first. It was actually in the newspaper. Maybe if you picked one up, you would have known that.
How about being happy that your school gets you the information you need on a timely basis instead of whining that YOU aren't responsible enough to remember it. Put the info on your calendar or on your phone. It's not that difficult. That's what being a parent is all about. RESPONSIBILITY!
If you don't like the parent pickup procedure, let your kid take the bus. It's not rocket science.
My wish for you is that your children have a great school year despite your negative attitude about everything the school does.
concerned parent

Richmond, KY

#10 Nov 6, 2011
I have seen the project plan for the new 9th grade area. Why can't they make the building a safer area for sheltering in case of an emergency? If a tornado were to hit in the area during lunch those kids are screwed. There is no where to go. Plus if the cafeteria is packed there would be no where for them to go in a hurry and safely.
Why are other courses being cut, or a shortage of school supplies, yet money is being given to GC to upgrade the football field. EDUCATION first, not football. What happened to arts? My daughter doesn't care about football however, she is great in the arts and carries a 3.9 GPA. But then again the school board can give a rats azz about education. Where does SC rank for schools in the country? Not in football but academics. These kids are our future leadership. Not every football player will ever make it to the NFL. But what about the rest of the students?
the arts

Chicago, IL

#11 Nov 6, 2011
Hard to say the arts aren't emphasized in Scott Co. Both band and chorus are huge and are outstanding.
the arts

Chicago, IL

#12 Nov 6, 2011
And it's hard to say much $ is put into sports. The only facility the high school has on its campus is the gym. Football at the college. Baseball, softball and tennis at the county park. The athletic facilities are really pretty pathetic.
Ding Dong

Georgetown, KY

#13 Nov 7, 2011
Tinker Bell wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you serious? What do you think they are going to do, have Georgetown News Graphic run a story about the firing of Dr. O'Hara BEFOFE he gets terminated, if and when it happens which is very doubtful.
Do you think that Jason Radford should have called each and every parent to let them know that he has moved to another district before he announced it to the students? He is gone for the rest of the school year. If and when he comes back, I will be sure to tell him to make sure he calls all the parents first to let them know he is coming back. He must have lost his mind taking this job and not letting you know first. It was actually in the newspaper. Maybe if you picked one up, you would have known that.
How about being happy that your school gets you the information you need on a timely basis instead of whining that YOU aren't responsible enough to remember it. Put the info on your calendar or on your phone. It's not that difficult. That's what being a parent is all about. RESPONSIBILITY!
If you don't like the parent pickup procedure, let your kid take the bus. It's not rocket science.
My wish for you is that your children have a great school year despite your negative attitude about everything the school does.
Such sarcasm isn't positive, tsk, tsk, tsk.

Tinkerbell, I do not believe you are not aware of the multitude of postings, emails, and feeds that go out daily from each school. If you have children in 3 different schools, you can go absolutely batty trying to remember who has sports, carnivals, teacher meetings, after school activities, fieldtrips, and more. Certainly this would have been a perfect use of the email communication system to send a short note to parents indicating the principal of the school is moving forward becuse we DO care about our schools.
In regard to the newspaper, not everyone reads the newspaper when it is published.

Although I wish many things, I totally agree with many who have posted on this topic - the leadership (board and superintendent) set the atmosphere and they are strongly lacking in the areas where it really counts. As a parent who is extremely involved in my child's learning needs, I've been to board meetings and they are a joke. Nothing can be accomplished unless one threatens with litigation.
IF you are acknowledged (maybe you called in advanced to be placed on the agenda), you will be dismissed after you've stated your piece.

As for bus service, perhaps the reason there are so many parents picking up their children is due to issues with the bus schedule itself. It isn't being a rocket scientist, it is trying to work with the schedules that we have being Toyota Moms and Dads working on many shifts and trying to be good parents and support our schools.
Where is Josh Elder

Georgetown, KY

#14 Nov 7, 2011
Josh should run for the Board of Education. He has first hand experience, and could be a great help to our kids and community. It's about time to have someone stand up stopping the bullying in our schools!
purple

Washington, DC

#15 Nov 7, 2011
Where is Josh Elder wrote:
Josh should run for the Board of Education. He has first hand experience, and could be a great help to our kids and community. It's about time to have someone stand up stopping the bullying in our schools!
hahaha. We'd totally salute the rainbow flag.
whatever

United States

#16 Nov 7, 2011
If all of you are sooo fed up with the school system, you have 4 choices: move to another county, homeschool, private school, or 4th just shut up!!! I bet your kids are crybabies just like you!
lol

Bowie, MD

#17 Nov 8, 2011
Wish they would focus on teaching and stop trying to nose in people's lives. The petty reports of talking in the hall or bathroom are pretty lame. Stop making me sign 15 things a day to acknowledge you are superior and stop asking for money or to sell things so much. I'm too busy for this.
Tinkerbell

Lexington, KY

#18 Nov 8, 2011
Ding Dong wrote:
<quoted text>
Such sarcasm isn't positive, tsk, tsk, tsk.
Tinkerbell, I do not believe you are not aware of the multitude of postings, emails, and feeds that go out daily from each school. If you have children in 3 different schools, you can go absolutely batty trying to remember who has sports, carnivals, teacher meetings, after school activities, fieldtrips, and more. Certainly this would have been a perfect use of the email communication system to send a short note to parents indicating the principal of the school is moving forward becuse we DO care about our schools.
In regard to the newspaper, not everyone reads the newspaper when it is published.
Although I wish many things, I totally agree with many who have posted on this topic - the leadership (board and superintendent) set the atmosphere and they are strongly lacking in the areas where it really counts. As a parent who is extremely involved in my child's learning needs, I've been to board meetings and they are a joke. Nothing can be accomplished unless one threatens with litigation.
IF you are acknowledged (maybe you called in advanced to be placed on the agenda), you will be dismissed after you've stated your piece.
As for bus service, perhaps the reason there are so many parents picking up their children is due to issues with the bus schedule itself. It isn't being a rocket scientist, it is trying to work with the schedules that we have being Toyota Moms and Dads working on many shifts and trying to be good parents and support our schools.
I am completely aware of the number of communications! I have three kids at three different schools, one in band two play sports. I am getting emails from each school daily, as well as band and sports several times a week. We have an extremely busy schedule but I DO keep it all organized. Without my calendar in my phone I would be lost. We do get alot of information and I am thankful for that. My kids don't bring me home half of the stuff they are supposed to so by reading the emails each day I know what is going on and where they should be. My kids take the bus because we work full time, not at Toyota. If I do get the opportunity to pick them up from school, I sit in the pickup line at RSMS or park in the park for the high school dismissal. It will do you no good to complain about pickup. There is no where else to go! If you don't like it, then move or let them take the bus. Problem solved. I am a good parent who is very involved in each of my kids schools and sports programs. I volunteer for everything I can so I know what's going on and I support each one of my childrens schools and their teachers and coaches.
Tinkerbell is a joke

Georgetown, KY

#19 Feb 8, 2012
Tinker Bell wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that it would have been nice to know that Jason Radford was leaving. I'm not approaching it negatively, just from the standpoint of, we were just entering high school with our first child and all the changes were a bit overwhelming. I attended a couple of orientations for the Ninth Grade school and never heard him mention it to the incoming class of freshmen and their parents. We wish him well. He seemed like a very good principal and like he was geniuely interested in the kids.

No one said anything about him calling parents personally. Tinkerbell, maybe you should chill out, stop walking your RSMS student around in the hallways, and take a break. You seem very, very snippy.
why

Georgetown, KY

#20 Feb 8, 2012
My wish is to win the lottery. Bahahahaha!!! I don't have kids in the scott county school system so I dont give a hoot! Bahahaha!!!
Santa Claus wrote:
What are your wishes?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
City Cops at Steve Price House Cost Taxpayers B... 4 hr FED UP 108
Murder of Sue Jones (Jan '11) 6 hr CNN 334
Jason Coomer (Jul '10) 6 hr apohl01 9
New Gym 7 hr Just concerned 1
White girls and black guys 7 hr God 24
curious about aichi forge (Oct '13) 8 hr oh no 20
pork chop is one of the trailer park snitches 9 hr another concerned... 4
Georgetown Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web