IR parents annoyed by lack of librarians

IR parents annoyed by lack of librarians

There are 2 comments on the News Journal story from Oct 25, 2010, titled IR parents annoyed by lack of librarians. In it, News Journal reports that:

As Indian River School District officials continue to work out the kinks in their new library system, some parents are getting impatient.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News Journal.

Lady Mama

Columbia, MO

#1 Oct 26, 2010
I think it is sad that Susan Bunting doesn't think that school libraries are used like they once were. My daughter got interested in reading because the excellent librarian at Phillip Showell got her excited about books. I'm sure that the paraprofessional that has replaced the school's librarian this year is well intentioned, but it is doubtful that she has the expertise to pick out a book at the right reading level or to pick out new, quality books to keep the library stocked in the future. And what about teaching our children how to do research or how to tell a good source from a bad one?

I think Susan Bunting is short sighted and out of touch with what makes a difference to kids. It's not all about test scores. Maybe this superintendent should be replaced by a paraprofessional. If having an advanced degree in library science means nothing, then maybe having one in school administration doesn't, either.
JoeDonn

Columbia, MO

#2 Oct 26, 2010
I agree. IRSD school board - are you listening?

Notice that Mark Steele managed to keep his librarian at IRHS. Could be that he cares about kids.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
jews May '15 RANSOM PRIDE 1
News dana goodman sussex central rape relationship s... (Jun '09) Jan '15 a friend 5
News In an effort to reduce the cost of public works... (Jul '14) Jul '14 Concern Tax Payer 1
Think twice about this Chevrolet dealer (Jan '14) Jan '14 biden 1
News More Sussex schools mean more opportunity (Sep '13) Sep '13 imagine 1
News Cooperative solar energy farm now producing power (Sep '13) Sep '13 imagine 1
News Kent County SPCA awarded dog control contract (Sep '13) Sep '13 imagine 1
More from around the web

Georgetown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Georgetown Mortgages