Drivers warn leaf lovers of pothole problems

Full story: KUSA Denver

"The road is an embarrassment," said Jim Lutz. On Wednesday, Lutz and his wife drove from their Arvada home up to the mountains near Georgetown with plans of taking in the changing colors of the leaves on the ...
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Sep 23, 2007
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Really

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2007

No kidding! Is this news? Would anyone in their right mind even contact the news about this? Hmmm... a really bad winter, lots of snow, freezing temps... what the F do you expect?
Native

Parker, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2007

What a bunch of wimps. I went climbing on Bierstat earlier this summer. The road is bad, but, not, "Terrifing". If you want to travel above 9,000 Feet, be prepaired.
MartySays

Golden, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2007

Really wrote:
No kidding! Is this news? Would anyone in their right mind even contact the news about this? Hmmm... a really bad winter, lots of snow, freezing temps... what the F do you expect?
You suck! THIS IS NEWS so that your tires dont get blown out your stupid idiot! But, if I am thinking correctly, you probably have multiple DUI's, various tickets, and that is the reason that you lash out at people that want to drive to see fall color... Since you are an obvious criminal, GO TO BED and SHUT YOUR MOUTH.

DUMMY
MartySays

Golden, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 22, 2007

Native wrote:
What a bunch of wimps. I went climbing on Bierstat earlier this summer. The road is bad, but, not, "Terrifing". If you want to travel above 9,000 Feet, be prepaired.
Native? Earlier this Summer? You are just as DUMB and lonely as the first fool that posted...
Recon

Hanoi, Vietnam

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

I think the people quoted in this article need to realize they're not driving on an interstate and that the ruggedness of the mountains are a positive part of the experience. If every road in the mountains was a super highway it would be a shame.

How could Ms. Gleason, quoted in the story, be very, very afraid of anything going only 10 mph?
Rick

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

I went over Guanella Pass yesterday. I had fun. Very pretty. I saw some fairly unprepared folks up there. Leave the Corvette and the motorcycle at home and you will be fine. Take your time and enjoy the 23 or so miles. Note: About a mile or two of the road by Grant has extreme washboard.

Since: Jun 07

Broomfield, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

I went up there yesterday too and had a great time! Sure, there were potholes, but it wasn't really that big of a deal and I drive a passenger vehicle. I agree with the poster who said leave the corvette and motorcycle home and would add to that, your Lexus, Caddy, or BMW SUV. Or you could stay home and look at pictures of the leaves. I think I was behind a couple of them who were "terrified" and had to pass them!
Abhi Shrivastava

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

I couldn't agree more. I also took my family yesterday on same road and was lucky I survived that drive. I just took Mike Nelson's scenic drive suggestion and I am surprised that he didn't mention of the hazardous condition of the road. If you really want to see the scenic drive and the bext fall color, co to Eco lake (bottom of Mount Evans) from Idaho springs, you will find really beautiful fall colors there.
shut up stupid

Longmont, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

took a mini van with six people in it over guanella pass yesterday, no problems with the road, only the loose nuts behind the wheels of the other vehicles
Louisa

Parker, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

My husband and I just drove this road last weekend. Yes, there are some potholes, and yes, some are rather deep. But you can avoid them... we and the 8 other people we saw on the road were completely fine. The road's not I-70, but come on folks, there is no reason to call it terrifying. Oh, and even though I don't recommend it, my friend got his mustang up the road with no problems.
Good_Grief

Evergreen, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

My family and I went up Guanellas Pass about a month ago. Yes, the road is extremely rough. It has been at least as long as I've lived in the area (seven years). We went in my husband's Jeep Wrangler, I wouldn't take my Audi up. People need to slow down not only to avoid the potholes but so they can take in and enjoy the scenery. Everyone is always in a rush. Guanella Pass is a MOUNTAIN road enjoy it!
Tabasco

Arvada, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

This cracks me up. Guanella Pass has been in much worse condition than it is right now.

There are, and always have been, road signs everywhere warning anyone going over the pass that the road conditions are not suitable to low clearance vehicles. Still they go and have the tenacity to act surprised at the outcome.

Guanella Pass rises to nearly 11,700 ft. and gives access to Mount Bierstadt, 14,060 feet, and Mount Evans, 14,264 feet, Grays Peak, 14,270 feet, and Torreys Peak, 14,267 feet rise on either side. What can they possibly expect taking a two wheel drive sedan or economy car over that pass?

Heck, you could probably build another car just by using the parts scattered about that fell off of similar vehicles over the decades.
Tabasco

Arvada, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

The good news is that those of us that do regularly use Guanella for access, will not have to contend with all of the wimps that were quoted in the article and those that read it and never show up in the first place. Particularly the MartySays types.

We have enough problems with them driving about Cherry Creek.
Bircken

Castle Rock, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

Guanella Pass, as well as many other roads through our majestic mountains, are not meant to be driven as highways. If 10 mph is as fast as one can go, that will give you additional time to enjoy and learn to appreciate what we have available for the time being (before we allow more drilling rigs to move in). If all people want is to drive 65 and take a picture of yellow aspens, we have alternatives -Kenosha Pass comes to mind.
Stop this silly whinning and stay away from the wilderness areas if you are worried about getting a flat tire.
Really

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

MartySays wrote:
<quoted text>
You suck! THIS IS NEWS so that your tires dont get blown out your stupid idiot! But, if I am thinking correctly, you probably have multiple DUI's, various tickets, and that is the reason that you lash out at people that want to drive to see fall color... Since you are an obvious criminal, GO TO BED and SHUT YOUR MOUTH.
DUMMY
So the only way to not blow your tires is to listen to a bunch of people who obviously don't know how to drive or the people sitting behind their desks reporting the story? Funny. I thought people were responsible for their own actions. I drive that pass and I don't have blown tires. The only idiot here is the guy who's afraid to go outside cause someone says something bad might happen.
Mountain Man

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

Can you believe there are potholes on a mountain road...unbelievable!
High Country Driver

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

Potholes on Guanella Pass - no surprise.
If 10 mph is too fast, go 5 mph.

My complaint is that no one has mentioned the beautiful new section of road sandwiched in between the two sections of potholes.

Yes, I would discourage anyone from going. Less traffic for the rest of us.
CO Native

Aurora, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

Bircken wrote:
Guanella Pass, as well as many other roads through our majestic mountains, are not meant to be driven as highways. If 10 mph is as fast as one can go, that will give you additional time to enjoy and learn to appreciate what we have available for the time being (before we allow more drilling rigs to move in). If all people want is to drive 65 and take a picture of yellow aspens, we have alternatives -Kenosha Pass comes to mind.
Stop this silly whinning and stay away from the wilderness areas if you are worried about getting a flat tire.
I couldn't agree more, well said!
Jeff R

Denver, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

[Quote]
He says while driving about 10 mph, he hit a pothole 4 feet wide and 10 inches deep. It devoured his tire, costing him $125.
[/Quote]

Hahahaha. Driving 10 MPH, he couldn't see an avoid a pothole 4 feet wide and 10 inches deep???!!

That guy deserves what he got. Completely.

That road has always had potholes. Anyone with a clue can drive it safely, and still end up out the other side with the 4 tires they started with.

Yes, the road needs attention, but this story is just lame.
From Fort Collins

Fort Collins, CO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 23, 2007

I took family from out of town over Guanella in a minivan last weekend. No problems. I drove 10-20mph - slow enough to drive AROUND any hazards as they were quite visible. They are easily (EASILY!) avoided. It was anything but terrifying. Where is common sense these days? Really, people - screw your heads on straight next time you take a mountain drive.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Georgetown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Georgetown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••