Georgetown Loop to miss Memorial Day ...

Georgetown Loop to miss Memorial Day weekend business

There are 7 comments on the KUSA Denver story from May 23, 2007, titled Georgetown Loop to miss Memorial Day weekend business. In it, KUSA Denver reports that:

At Georgetown Loop railyard things are quiet and the trains are sitting empty. Normally around this time of year, the two depots in Georgetown and Silver Plume are buzzing with activity as the engineers and ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at KUSA Denver.

S Beni

Boulder, CO

#1 May 23, 2007
At least they're playing it safe. I would rather see a warning that the trains won't be running right away, then a story down the road about how something went horribly wrong.

I don't think the businesses will suffer that much. It's a nice area and fun to visit.

“Loud Pipes For All!”

Since: Mar 07

Voorhees, NJ

#2 May 23, 2007
Better to be prepared than caught with a disaster mid-season. Good planning, however unfortunate.
MIKE

San Antonio, TX

#3 May 24, 2007
Borry the Tiny Town train!!!
Ha ha
MIKE

San Antonio, TX

#4 May 24, 2007
Borrow
Randy

Longmont, CO

#5 May 24, 2007
If someone does a thorough and true investigation of this situation, they will find the CHS presented the previous operators with very unreasonable business demands, and a take it or leave it ultimatum, back in 2004. So the old operator of 30+ years, who rebuilt the line while the CHS sat on their hands, pulled out, rather than stay and lose money year after year. They took the trains and maintenance equipment (which they owned), with them. This equipment is now stored in operable condition at the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden, and used on their steam weekends!

The CHS then had a big problem. They needed to buy trains, but none were available in operable condition. So the CHS proceeded to spend huge sums of money, to buy and refurbish equipment. Unfortunately, what they bought and refurbished was not large enough, or powerful enough, to meet demands of running trains on that hill, or to match the previous operator's capacity. The #9 engine, which the CHS has owned for many years, sat neglected on a siding for over 15 years, rusting away, until the CHS got into this self imposed bind and had to rebuild it. To make things worse, the CHS then opted not to fund full refurbishment or proper maintenance on the abused equipment, and you now have the current situation.

Investigate the true causes for the 12 days that the railroad was shut down last year, and most of it will come down to underpowered and ill-suited equipment. Investigate how many days the previous operator had to shut down over 30+ years, and compare it to the current record.

The CHS needs to be held accountable for this mess in Georgetown. It all could have been avoided. I believe the current operator is trying hard, but their hands are tied by the CHS.

Follow the facts, not CHS PR.
alicia valdez

United States

#6 May 24, 2007
I love the train in the fall. You used to be able to drive up and hop right on. Now you have to make reservations, and pay quite a bit more.
Still worth it...
CHS should loss their job

Arvada, CO

#7 May 24, 2007
This is a huge failure and the blame belongs solely on the CHS and I think Gov. Ritter needs to take some action on this.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gang stalking, community mobbinh Dec '16 bill 1
News Hike some non-14ers this summer (Jul '16) Jul '16 ELISE GINGERICH 1
Review: Argent Real Estate (Apr '12) Apr '12 Dana Abrahamson 1
News I-70 closed near Eisenhower tunnel after fatal ... (Jul '10) Jun '11 There 270
boring place to live (May '11) May '11 what 1
News CDOT Closes I-70 On Tuesday For Rock Removal Pr... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Mrs-Jessica-D 1
Every Which Way But Loose (Nov '10) Nov '10 Movie Buff 1

Georgetown Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Georgetown Mortgages