Safeway: Santa Cruz store is prototyp...

Safeway: Santa Cruz store is prototype for the future

There are 93 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 13, 2009, titled Safeway: Santa Cruz store is prototype for the future. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

Safeway executives showed up en masse Thursday afternoon at the Almar shopping center to see the first store in the 1,775-store grocery chain expected to qualify for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

“Oh well, been called worse ”

Since: Sep 09

Santa Cruz

#83 Nov 14, 2009
Actually the Safe way in Watsonville is a whole lot friendlier , Tons of selections in most every area including organics, Has a fantastic bakery, butcher and Deli. Starbucks as well.

PLUS there are no vagrants hanging outside, ther are no visible drug deals going down and ya dont have to drive down a kamikaze and heavy traffic road like mission street to get there :):)
tip toe

Oakland, CA

#84 Nov 14, 2009
Moike wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you seriously that out of shape? Really?
I prefer the ding dongs next to the ice cream next to the doritos next to the soda stuff. is much to ask for. I can barely get my fat fingers high enough to type this.
tip toe

Oakland, CA

#85 Nov 14, 2009
Betty Crocker wrote:
<quoted text>
Are you just complaining in order to do so? You're aware that the mission street side of the building faces north which means it does not get direct sunlight. That window is in shadow.
Are you complaining that I'm complaining. Easy there compass. I do appreciate the fact that you know which side of the building is North, but as I wrote, you see, the sun tends to move in relation to the earth, so certain times of year the sun is higher in the sky therefore shining on that side of the building. Am I a witness to this, yep I am. I believe you're the one in the shadow.
ENFORCE IT

San Francisco, CA

#86 Nov 14, 2009
Escalona neighbor wrote:
I didn't know about the homeless problem behind the store, will check it out since it seems like a hot topic on this thread.
Please do.

“Is that u, John Wayne? ”

Since: Jul 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#87 Nov 14, 2009
Xanthippe wrote:
<quoted text>
The speed limit on Mission is not 40-50 mph. It's 30mph, I believe.
Nobody should be driving that fast past Swift southbound. It's just not safe.
Seriously... the speed on Mission, wait for it... 25mph.

I do my best to keep it between 25/30 without feeling like I'm going to get clobbered or obstruct the flow of psychopaths too much.

If everybody actually tried to keep it between 25/30 on Mission there would be a lot less collateral damage in terms of fender benders, bicycle/car collisions, pedestrian hits, etc...

You'll find things don't sneak up on you so suddenly when you're not flying down a crowded four lane business district at double the posted limit.
judge_roy_bean

Danville, CA

#88 Nov 15, 2009
Xanthippe wrote:
<quoted text>
The speed limit on Mission is not 40-50 mph. It's 30mph, I believe.
Nobody should be driving that fast past Swift southbound. It's just not safe.
Actually the speed limit is 25. You are correct in stating that it's not safe but it appears that many drivers on Mission St. don't care and drive that fast anyway. Just an observation, with the terrible and unsafe driving habits of many people on this road, there WILL be big problems at this light. BTW~ this is just a prediction so there's no need to judge this post negatively Cynthia, we'll all see if I'm right or wrong.
Mission St Avoider

Santa Cruz, CA

#89 Nov 15, 2009
So where's this new light going? there's already a light at every major intersection, I thought?
judge_roy_bean

Danville, CA

#90 Nov 16, 2009
Mission St Avoider wrote:
So where's this new light going? there's already a light at every major intersection, I thought?
It's already in at Miramar/Mission St. No it's NOT a major intersection. I don't know how all of the beauracratic crap w/the city goes as far as getting stop lights put in but Safeway pulled of a major coup getting these cattle gates installed.
Anon

Watsonville, CA

#91 Nov 16, 2009
I wonder how long the searchlight comming from the safeway roof will be active. Been on a week already.
J Golder

Alamo, CA

#92 Nov 16, 2009
Rancher's Reserve is a mix of low choice & high standard grade carcass meats -supposedly tendernesss guaranteed. I've been disappointed with it the few times I've bought it.

Link to good article on beef testing & grading:

http://beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_love_tender/

“Oh well, been called worse ”

Since: Sep 09

Santa Cruz

#93 Nov 16, 2009
Anon wrote:
I wonder how long the searchlight comming from the safeway roof will be active. Been on a week already.

Milpitas, CA

#94 Nov 21, 2009
I have almost been hit twice at the new light, once I was facing southbound and waiting to turn into beacon, in the left turn lane. The green arrow turned for me and i started to pull into the gas station when 2 cars traveling northbound ran right through the red light, one of them slammed on their brakes and the other flipped me off and sped past me, like i was pulling out in front of him. Savages, oh and the sun can shine on the bread, I have seen it.
judge_roy_bean

San Jose, CA

#95 Nov 22, 2009
Safeway blows wrote:
I have almost been hit twice at the new light, once I was facing southbound and waiting to turn into beacon, in the left turn lane. The green arrow turned for me and i started to pull into the gas station when 2 cars traveling northbound ran right through the red light, one of them slammed on their brakes and the other flipped me off and sped past me, like i was pulling out in front of him. Savages, oh and the sun can shine on the bread, I have seen it.
Honestly, I take no personal joy in saying apparently "I was right". I sincerely hope nobody is hurt or killed at Safeways latest priveleged marketing tool but I have serious doubts. Stay tuned.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Increased air traffic over Meadow Vista May 21 bobsyouruncle 1
Love & Relationships May 13 Say no to cults 5
News Amgen Tour of California route to traverse Neva... May 9 cgross1010 2
Lost contact with family (Apr '13) May 9 cgross1010 4
News Upper Placerville Flooded with Pedestrian traff... (Sep '13) May 3 laugh 5
Water May '15 Davish 3
News South Dakota town rolls the dice to decide next... May '15 Fundies R Mentall... 3
More from around the web

Georgetown People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]