Safeway: Santa Cruz store is prototype for the future

Full story: Santa Cruz Sentinel

Safeway executives showed up en masse Thursday afternoon at the Almar shopping center to see the first store in the 1,775-store grocery chain expected to qualify for Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design certification.
Comments
1 - 20 of 93 Comments Last updated Nov 22, 2009
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
bigRed

Alameda, CA

#2 Nov 13, 2009
i want to be the first here in the comment section to say...
I Love our new Safeway. and to the naysayers... if you don't like it.... don't shop there !
the riddler

AOL

#3 Nov 13, 2009
i want to meet steve burd and all the executives. it would be an honor to see him behind bars with all of them.

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#4 Nov 13, 2009
Yet another Sentinel article with the wrong headline on Topix. What's up with that.
Public Option Supporter

San Jose, CA

#5 Nov 13, 2009
It's so huge that I need a GPS to find my way around, but I'll get used to it. It's nice. Looking forward to completion of the parking lot and new intersection access.
ENFORCE IT

San Francisco, CA

#6 Nov 13, 2009
"We're so proud of this," said Karl Schroeder...
His favorite part,...
"It makes the atmosphere more pleasant and at night it looks gorgeous," he said.

HOW ABOUT THE TR0LLS YOU LET LIVE IN BEHIND YOUR BUILDING and in the Rear parking LOT.- Not "pleasant and gorgoeus"..but rather DANGEROUS..

THEY ARE THERE.
DRIVE BACK THERE.
LOOK FOR THE PLYWOOD SHANTY in the safeway parking lot.

SCARRY.

Can We Thank Karl Schroeder/safeway for letting tr0lls live at his business?
Joe Citizen

San Francisco, CA

#7 Nov 13, 2009
They still have bums hanging out in parking lot, like "Fat Sue" who sits at the entrance with begging sign. Her husband is in prison for murder. That's the kind of folks we have in our neighborhood.

SAFEWAY' CLEAN UP THE BUMS AND I'LL CONCIDER SHOPPING THERE, OUTHERWISE IT'S NEW LEAF.
Westsider

Salinas, CA

#8 Nov 13, 2009
Take the steam out of Whole Foods??? So typical of the hypocritical hippie mentality of this town. Corporate Whole Foods bad, Corporate Safeway good? Does not compute. What about Corporate New Leaf??? Personally, I think Whole Foods offers better quality on everything than Safeway does.
Eating

Santa Cruz, CA

#9 Nov 13, 2009
Please shop at Safeway and support EVERYTHING that is wrong with our food supply system. Thank you.
wildman

Santa Cruz, CA

#10 Nov 13, 2009
I shop at Safeway for some products, but will not buy their produce. Safeway is interested in how much they will make, and not where the food comes from. Their organic section is a joke. The meat section is another I avoid. What the heck is Ranchers Reserve? Dairy cows too old to produce milk and ready for slaughter? Safeway has never heard of the USDA ranking of meat products.
Sykes

San Leandro, CA

#11 Nov 13, 2009
Joe Citizen wrote:
They still have bums hanging out in parking lot, like "Fat Sue" who sits at the entrance with begging sign. Her husband is in prison for murder. That's the kind of folks we have in our neighborhood.
SAFEWAY' CLEAN UP THE BUMS AND I'LL CONCIDER SHOPPING THERE, OUTHERWISE IT'S NEW LEAF.
Actually, it's good of Safeway not to kick her and others out. They don't bother anyone.
No change

United States

#12 Nov 13, 2009
If you ever dealt with Safeway on a legal matter, you'll know their true side. I would NEVER work there and only buy small things occasionally. I shop at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. The store is nice and huge, the parking sucks.
Deej

Santa Cruz, CA

#13 Nov 13, 2009
Joe Citizen wrote:
I agree with Joe. Fat Sue and her friends bring the garbage over to Natural Bridges and leave piles of trash and puddles along the curbline while they run generators for hours. I get tired of seeing the trash left behind by the Safeway parking lot family.
Safeway blows

Milpitas, CA

#14 Nov 13, 2009
The whole store is annoying, how many grand openings does one crappy grocery store need. Why is the bread next to the window, sitting in the sun sweating all day, thats just gross. Bring back Linda Vista!

Since: May 08

Santa Cruz, CA

#15 Nov 13, 2009
No change wrote:
If you ever dealt with Safeway on a legal matter, you'll know their true side. I would NEVER work there and only buy small things occasionally. I shop at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. The store is nice and huge, the parking ****.
Try Shoppers Corner. Best meat counter and produce in town. Excellent dairy, too.

I like the new Safeway so much better than the old one, but the food quality is better at Shoppers.

“This is only a test of the ...”

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#16 Nov 13, 2009
One again,Xan the Man hits it outta the park!

Yes...Shopper Corner meat counter ROCKS....those guys are great! And Shoppers has best selection of spices and sundries for good old home cooking.
Xanthippe wrote:
<quoted text>
Try Shoppers Corner. Best meat counter and produce in town. Excellent dairy, too.
I like the new Safeway so much better than the old one, but the food quality is better at Shoppers.
Shopaholic

Salinas, CA

#17 Nov 13, 2009
I love the new Safeway! Always nice to have lots of choices so I can find what I want in one place.
Beenherelongtime

Santa Cruz, CA

#18 Nov 13, 2009
The parking is going to suck. The new traffic light is going to suck. But then again what dosnt suck in this town anymore!....I agrea, bring back Linda Vista!
Santa Cruz

Santa Cruz, CA

#19 Nov 13, 2009
Safeway is not a good neighbor. They do not and will not help with graffiti, panhandlers, recycle thieves, drug dealers on their property or even respond to the neighborhoods needs. This photo op with our Mayor makes me laugh. Hey Cynthia, you wouldn't be smiling if this was YOUR neighborhood. I encourage everyone to boycott Safeway.
westside

Santa Cruz, CA

#20 Nov 13, 2009
The haggard security guard is Sue's best friend. She can really turn an eye to the troll problems in that lot.
The Scream

Santa Cruz, CA

#21 Nov 13, 2009
Okay, I won't speak against the new Safeway. Never did. But... while they've got a lot of selection, it's mostly processed crap I don't care to eat. I eat processed food, but I read the labels; at Safeway, it's a scary thing to do that.

Vegetables only okay, and their "rewards prices" are a joke, rarely much less than you'd pay at an independent store. The "regular" price is always heavily inflated. Since I don't care for rewards cards, I don't shop Safeway.

As for the additional space they're renting... three bucks triple-net? It's going to be hard to find something to sell there that the Safeway doesn't ALREADY sell...

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgetown Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
CA Judge overturns California's ban on same-sex ma... (Aug '10) 18 min Cali Girl 2014dal 200,608
CA California Proposition 19: the Marijuana Legali... (Oct '10) 1 hr Little Ricky 15,966
CA California seeks to ban free, single-use carryo... (Jun '10) 12 hr Duh 5,015
CA CA Proposition 23 - Global Warming (Oct '10) 18 hr napalmers 7,933
It ain't broke but ya gotta fix it? Sun KevinIs 1
Mountain Democrat Aug 20 sickntired 3
Industrial Market Cool But Not Cold Aug 8 Birds Landing Bob 2
•••
•••
•••

Georgetown Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••