SUNY Geneseo student found dead

A SUNY Geneseo student was found dead Sunday morning. State Police say 19-year-old Arman Tartamian was found dead in a house on Lower Court Street. Full Story
First Prev
of 7
Next Last
Just D

Livonia, NY

#121 Mar 19, 2009
Geneseo Student and Greek wrote:
Let me first just say that my thoughts and prayers go out to Arman's family. He and I had a few classes together, and I was deeply disturbed to recieve this news.
I feel like there is a lot of talk on here about our administration not doing enough to prevent this from happen and that Greek life in Geneseo is conducive to this sort of thing happening. This is simply not true. As a sister of a local sorority I have had to attend at least 3 alcohol education seminars, one as an incoming freshman, one as a pledge, and one as a sister. All members of greek organizations have to do the same.
Also, greek pledging at Geneseo is 100% dry, no pledge is allowed to consume a drop of alcohol or any sort of drug. If your organization gets caught letting pledges drink, let alone forcing them to drink, the organization faces steep consequences. I'm not blaming the PIGS brothers, but I know that Arman was a pledge, and being as they are not campus recognized, they do not follow the same rules other frats and sororities do.
I am not going to deny that drinking does not go on in greek life, but I can speak for our organization and many other organizations on campus, that we set up safety nets to prevent this sort of thing from happening. Every night on weekends we designate a "sober sister" who is required to stay at the party, and sober throughout the night. She needs to have her phone on her at all times and access to a car. I've seen this come in handy a number of times. Also, many greek organizations will not serve alcohol to non-brothers/sisters.
Joining a sorority was one of the best things I did in college.
If your sorority has to have a "safety net" called a "sober sister", I'm going to assume that you are also involved in underaged drinking. The "Sober Sister" should probably be referred to as a "Lookout Sister". Bottom Line---does your sorority engage in underaged drinking? If it does, what makes your sorority any different from the PIGS? Who gets the booze for you? I don't think GREEK has anything to do with it. There is way too much underaged drinking going on in Geneseo and the police, as well as the school seem to turn a blind eye to it.
Geneseo Alum

United States

#122 Jun 17, 2009
All Concerned,

Say what you will about the PIGS but at least they're honest and up front about what they represent. Unlike many of the Greek organizations who are just as bad but put up the facade of being community service oriented. We all know it's bullshit.

And have no doubt that people who "orient" with the PIGS know what they're getting into. It's pretty much common knowledge that you're going to be drinking obscene amounts of alcohol if you join the PIGS. They put everyone else on campus to shame.

I really don't think it's fair to crucify the PIGS for this one tragic incident. This kind of binge drinking happens all the time behind closed doors. I've seen a few of my friends almost die from alcohol poisoning on "Bids Night", before they started pledging their respective fraternity. Be that as it may, they knew what they were getting into and gladly assumed the risk of consuming that quantity of alcohol to get in. That's part of the appeal of joining a fraternity or the PIGS in this case.

I think it's a shame that we're going to let more young men have their lives ruined from this tragedy. This "outrage" from the community and the College administration is misguided. It's really not going to deter anything in the long term when you think about it.
Dean - o

Rochester, NY

#123 Jun 17, 2009
Yeah their actions just led to the premature death of a student. What is everyone so mad about? Wow buddy you could not have made yourself look any more stupid. "ahh man we're so cool we can drink a lot and almost die, we just put other people to shame, they can't drink as much as us." Hey at least you found something to brag about.

What an idiot.
Geneseo Alum

United States

#124 Jun 19, 2009
Are you really that f'ng clueless? I think you're an idiot for naively assuming that this poor kid didn't know what he was getting into. He voluntarily assumed the risk of binge drinking associated with joining this organization. No one forced him to start pledging or orienting. This is what he wanted to be a part of.

You also fail to appreciate that the elder or senior members of this organization suffered through these same rituals and practices. They weren't out to get him. The last thing they want to have happen is to have one of their own die from alcohol poisoning.

Also keep in mind that most of these guys have in all likelihood been pretty damn close to dying from alcohol poisoning themselves. They're just as much of a victim here under your reasoning. They could have just as easily died from alcohol poisoning from being "hazed" and victimized.

But what really bothers me here is that these kinds of incidents happen all the time in college irregardless. How is this really any different from a bunch of underage, non-fraternity guys pressuring each other to drink more through drinking games (e.g. pound, Edward 40 Hands) or beer pong? If someone ends up dying from alcohol poisoning, why shouldn't they be equally responsible for causing that person's death as the members of PIGS in question here?

And therein lies the problem. If you banish the PIGS and the rest of the fraternities on campus, you're still going to have underage and of age kids dying from drinking ungodly amounts of alcohol in their dorm rooms or out on their front lawns. It's not going to go away.

Guys at this age are always going to be daring and reckless. Part of it is that they're trying to prove themselves worthy to their peers and test their limits. It's also about being cool and rebellious. It's a developmental stage.

Quit trying to make the PIGS out to be monsters. It's just easier to target fraternities and organized groups as the problem when it is in all reality an all college wide phenomenon.
Dean - o

Rochester, NY

#125 Jun 20, 2009
They supplied an underage kid with alcohol. That's illegal, what do you expect. I guess only let people pledge who can handle it and you won't get caught.

"But what really bothers me here is that these kinds of incidents happen all the time in college irregardless."

Really? Kids are dying of alcohol poisoning all the time? Na not quite.
Straight Shooter

Rochester, NY

#126 Jun 20, 2009
Geneseo Alum wrote:
All Concerned,
And have no doubt that people who "orient" with the PIGS know what they're getting into. It's pretty much common knowledge that you're going to be drinking obscene amounts of alcohol if you join the PIGS. They put everyone else on campus to shame.
Wow, are you marketing director or spokemodel for PIGS? Maybe you have suffered one too many close encounters with death by alcohol poisoning. So this kid is the token "take one for the team" huh? He's the "Oh well shite happens" guy. The "Gee I guess he couldnt hold his kiquor, what a puzzy".
Sorry, but YOU my "not" friend look like the biggest piece of turd that's come down the pike in a long time. Where do you get the brass ones to say this kid is just a collateral damage victim for the greater good of assinine binge drinking. Don't get me wrong, I've had my fair share of druken debauchery, have paid the price in terms of relationships, jobs, driving priveleges and such, but YOU just don't get it. I KNOW for a fact I could drink you under the table and into the next day,but that doesnt make me more of a man than you. It just make me a high tolerance boob.
You wouldnt have the spine to go to this kid's family and tell them, "gee, sorry about Arman, I guess he wasnt good enough for PIGS standards"
You are nothing but a gutless puke.
You think being able to consume massive amounts of booze makes you a man? You are far from it punk. And your weak azz defense of the PIGS officers is a joke. I can say with a clear conscience that I've never forced anyone with undue peer pressure to drink until passed out. Nor with the threat of ostracization if you couldnt hold up to my standards of drinking thresh-hold.
I'm guessing you've had too many brain cells culled from your proud imbibing exploits.
Wah wah wah, oh poor PIGS, theyre being made examples of. YES, because a kid died under their supervision, they dropped the ball. 3 college kids died this spring due to over abundant alcohol (Hobart, Geneseo, UBuffalo). A few stupid HS teens in the area almost did too.
Who cares if it is in the dorms, off campus, frats or home when parents are away - until the law changes it's all underaged drinking and the officers of PIGS are gonna pay the price for this incident of alcohol to a minor. If you cant take the punishment for the risk of what you are doing, then DONT do it.
And I dont care what sappy wise comeback you think youre gonna come back on me, you are still EPIC FAIL.
And if you think you are man enough to discuss this in person, come out a bar of choice, and you'll be on the floor within an hour, by drink or other means.
Geneseo Alum

United States

#127 Jun 21, 2009
I didn't join the PIGS because I f'ng knew better. At the time, that kind of lifestyle didn't appeal to me. But if I did, I wouldn't try to portray myself as some poor, helpless victim. I knew what I would be getting into.

If you're going to willfully expose yourself to that kind of risk, then you to have bear the consequences. Whatever happened to individual responsibility.

Take me for example. I volunteered to deploy to Iraq knowing full well that I could likely get killed or maimed. When I deploy again to Afghanistan next year, there's a good chance I won't be coming home again. But that's the risk that I've willfully undertaken.

If I happen to die or become an amputee, I'm not going to make myself out to be a poor, helpless victim. I knew full damn well what I was getting into.

And, by the way, I would love to discuss this topic in person. Believe me. I just hope you man up and make good on your challenge, internet tough guy. I would love to exchange info and arrange to meet up sometime. I think you just might regret calling me out as a gutless puke. I've been shot at, blown up by IEDs, and targeted by snipers. You don't f*cking scare me.

Who the f*ck are you?
ExMarine

Rochester, NY

#128 Jun 21, 2009
Geneseo Alum wrote:
I didn't join the PIGS because I f'ng knew better. At the time, that kind of lifestyle didn't appeal to me. But if I did, I wouldn't try to portray myself as some poor, helpless victim. I knew what I would be getting into.
If you're going to willfully expose yourself to that kind of risk, then you to have bear the consequences. Whatever happened to individual responsibility.
Take me for example. I volunteered to deploy to Iraq knowing full well that I could likely get killed or maimed. When I deploy again to Afghanistan next year, there's a good chance I won't be coming home again. But that's the risk that I've willfully undertaken.
If I happen to die or become an amputee, I'm not going to make myself out to be a poor, helpless victim. I knew full damn well what I was getting into.
And, by the way, I would love to discuss this topic in person. Believe me. I just hope you man up and make good on your challenge, internet tough guy. I would love to exchange info and arrange to meet up sometime. I think you just might regret calling me out as a gutless puke. I've been shot at, blown up by IEDs, and targeted by snipers. You don't f*cking scare me.
Who the f*ck are you?
Maybe one day I can meet up with a stupid amputee, just so he can tell me he regrets going to a war that does nothing that helps or defends the American people.
Geneseo Alum

United States

#129 Jun 21, 2009
Really? Interesting seeing how there hasn't been another major terrorist attack on domestic soil since 9/11. That's quite a coincidence. Or maybe just maybe, our combined efforts in OIF and OEF have been quite successful in deterring repeated terrorist attacks.

That is, Al Qaeda and Muslim extremists target our military forces in Iraq and Afghanistan rather than domestic civilian targets as was the case on 9/11. There's no denying this. To say that this "war [] does nothing that helps or defends the American people" is foolish and misguided. IT ALSO DOES A GREAT DISSERVICE TO THE EFFORTS OF OUR BRAVE SERVICEMEN AND SERVICEWOMEN.

Here's a quote from the former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, retired GEN Peter Pace:

"People should be reminded everyday of what our enemies want to do to us ... the further and further we get away from September 11, 2001, the less we remember what our enemies are really all about. I cannot tell you why we have not had another attack here. I'm sure it's some combination of what we're doing militarily, what we're doing internationally with police forces, what the intelligence community is doing, and great chunk of luck."

FREEDOM ISN'T FREE...
Geneseo Alum

United States

#130 Jun 21, 2009
What kind of ex-Marine would characterize a brave Wounded Warrior as a "stupid amputee"?

That's disgraceful...
ExMarine

Rochester, NY

#131 Jun 21, 2009
Geneseo Alum wrote:
What kind of ex-Marine would characterize a brave Wounded Warrior as a "stupid amputee"?
That's disgraceful...
An old wise one, that grew up and realized the truth.
The people that did 9/11 are dead, they were on the planes.
Going to other countries and killing millions of innocent people, does NOT make America safer, it puts us more at risk for another attack.
So, wether your a college student that drinks yourself to dead or a highschool graduate that joins the military to get his limps amputated for no good reason, your both stupid.
Dean - o

Rochester, NY

#132 Jun 21, 2009
Geneseo Alum wrote:
Who the f*ck are you?
Ur right the dead kid should stop playing the victim and take some personal responsibility for dying.
Straight Shooter

Rochester, NY

#133 Jun 22, 2009
ExMarine wrote:
<quoted text>
An old wise one, that grew up and realized the truth.
The people that did 9/11 are dead, they were on the planes.
Going to other countries and killing millions of innocent people, does NOT make America safer, it puts us more at risk for another attack.
So, wether your a college student that drinks yourself to dead or a highschool graduate that joins the military to get his limps amputated for no good reason, your both stupid.
OOO RAH !!!!
PIGS for life

Hanover, MD

#134 Jul 27, 2012
Geneseo Alumni wrote:
<quoted text>
The PIGS are known for drinking heavily. Not for use of illegal drugs, making an accusation that they use not only an illegal, drug but one with such a poor reputation shows that you are both ignorant and/or unfamiliar with the PIGS parties.
Also, with that being said "...drinking heavily" wouldn't it seem that this would almost be a warning label that a tragedy such as this could occur?
This is true. I have been a PIG for well over a decade and still drink heavily..........I had all of the drugs when I was in the PIGS and never had GHB.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Geneseo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Man Found Dead on Road in Marion (Dec '06) Tue Cathie 12
Family court (Dec '11) Sep '14 The truth Finder 33
Central New York Remembers 9/11 With Memorials ... Sep '14 Hail H 3
Adoptees deserve to have rights to records (Apr '08) Aug '14 jik 36
12 SUNY colleges will get heroin antidote Aug '14 Derka Der 4
Texas of Panama (Dec '07) Jul '14 Jim Dandy 11
Bacteria Found in Livingston County Water (Nov '09) Jun '14 Donna 7
Geneseo Dating
Find my Match

Geneseo Jobs