SUNY Geneseo student found dead

SUNY Geneseo student found dead

There are 134 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Mar 1, 2009, titled SUNY Geneseo student found dead. In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

A SUNY Geneseo student was found dead Sunday morning. State Police say 19-year-old Arman Tartamian was found dead in a house on Lower Court Street.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

First Prev
of 7
Next Last
RIP

Ontario, NY

#1 Mar 1, 2009
Sad news.......but typically, kids that drink now a days have that "it won't happen to me attitude"
Rochester resident

Penn Yan, NY

#2 Mar 1, 2009
Parents pay all of that money to send their privilaged kids to college just so they can drink themselves to death and get involved in all types of other things.
anonymous

Geneseo, NY

#3 Mar 1, 2009
"The Pigs?" That sounds like a good fraternity. Jeez, why does it take this long for people to realize that frats like that are dangerous places?

Since: Dec 07

United States

#4 Mar 1, 2009
Sad very sad.
RPDSuks

Batavia, NY

#5 Mar 1, 2009
All City Residents are alive and well.
CLG

Rochester, NY

#6 Mar 1, 2009
It is sad news. Hopefully the college will finally admit that there is a serious drinking issue on & off campus and actually address the issue.
becka

Webster, NY

#7 Mar 1, 2009
There have been so many incidents like this at SUNY Geneseo- sine the late 60's when I used to visit my friend there! Maybe because it's in a little town, and there isn't much else to do? The administration needs to plan activities so that drinking isn't the only thing kids think they have to do.
Westsider

Rochester, NY

#8 Mar 1, 2009
Yeah, what are you blind? Oh that's right b/c it wasn't in the media no one was killed. You have no clue about the deaths that happen daily. For someone who lives in the city, you certainly don't know shit.
RPDSuks wrote:
All City Residents are alive and well.
Fact

Rochester, NY

#9 Mar 1, 2009
Fact: Drinking is a problem at any college. Not just this one. Even at those "Christian Colleges" have lots of drinking and sex going on. Wake up.
CLG

Rochester, NY

#10 Mar 1, 2009
The "administration" needs to be agressive about the alcohol issue instead of denying the issue.
becka wrote:
There have been so many incidents like this at SUNY Geneseo- sine the late 60's when I used to visit my friend there! Maybe because it's in a little town, and there isn't much else to do? The administration needs to plan activities so that drinking isn't the only thing kids think they have to do.
Student

Geneseo, NY

#11 Mar 1, 2009
becka wrote:
I am a student at SUNY Geneseo, and last night there happened to be a few comedians on campus, a dance (with no alcohol), an ice cream social, and some crafts to do. These events went well into the night, up until at least 2:00 AM. People can also go bowling and/or play in the game room in the student union, among other things. I think that there are ample opportunities for people to engage in activities that don't involve alcohol. Some students just think that drinking alcohol is the only "cool" thing to do. Unfortunately, last year I had to live with 7 people who felt that way.
Get real

Rochester, NY

#12 Mar 1, 2009
OK these kids go to school to prepare for their future. They are not children. They shouldn't have to have someone babysitting them 24/7. The school has activities they can participate in yet they choose to go off on their own and do what they shouldn't. Unless you have someone assigned to each student, there's going to be trouble somewhere. They know right from wrong by the time they go to college. Get real.
Student

Geneseo, NY

#13 Mar 1, 2009
Get real wrote:
OK these kids go to school to prepare for their future. They are not children. They shouldn't have to have someone babysitting them 24/7. The school has activities they can participate in yet they choose to go off on their own and do what they shouldn't. Unless you have someone assigned to each student, there's going to be trouble somewhere. They know right from wrong by the time they go to college. Get real.
My sentiments, exactly.
Former Student

West Haven, CT

#14 Mar 1, 2009
Technical point: This is not a fraternity insofar as it is not recognized by the Inter Greek Council. It is a group of students who choose to participate in drinking activities. That is their prerogative.
Greek organizations, that are recognized by the IGC and SUNY Geneseo, give back to the community by raising money for cancer, participating in Big Brother/Big Sister programs, volunteering at local charities, and providing social support for students who attend Geneseo.
That being said plenty of PIGS have gone on to become doctors, lawyers, and valuable members of our society. Some students who consume alcohol who go on to produce nothing of value for society and some due. The same can be said from those who abstain from alcohol consumption.
Drinking during college has never, in any study I've read or seen, been shown to be a significant moderator of future success.
Next Door Neighbor

Pittsburgh, PA

#15 Mar 1, 2009
I live right next door to the Pigs and have witnessed several OUT OF CONTROL parties at that residence. I called the Sherrif's department a couple of times, only to have the party continue after their arrival. I no longer call the Sheriff as nothing ever gets resolved. They are disrespectful neighbors, they leave garbage on our property and the street, and keep me awake at night. This is the worst thing that could ever happen to anybody, and my thoughts are with his family. Maybe the people of Geneseo can get some peace and quiet for a while, now that the consequences of these dangerous parties are more apparent, and have hit so close to home; it is all we ask.
Mom of 3

Hoboken, NJ

#16 Mar 1, 2009
I have a son that attends SUNY Geneseo and is in the process of joining a fraternity. Not PIGS, thankfully, but the thought of Alcohol poisoning fills my mind every time I think of him. I just pray that he uses good judgment when the time comes for the actual initiation day. I hope that the so called fraternity will be held accountable for what this kids parents have to endure never being able to speak or see thier angel ever again). I pray that God brings the kids parents peace in this time of sorrow. My heart goes out to his family.
Student

Geneseo, NY

#17 Mar 1, 2009
Former Student wrote:
Technical point: This is not a fraternity insofar as it is not recognized by the Inter Greek Council. It is a group of students who choose to participate in drinking activities. That is their prerogative.
Greek organizations, that are recognized by the IGC and SUNY Geneseo, give back to the community by raising money for cancer, participating in Big Brother/Big Sister programs, volunteering at local charities, and providing social support for students who attend Geneseo.
That being said plenty of PIGS have gone on to become doctors, lawyers, and valuable members of our society. Some students who consume alcohol who go on to produce nothing of value for society and some due. The same can be said from those who abstain from alcohol consumption.
Drinking during college has never, in any study I've read or seen, been shown to be a significant moderator of future success.
There is nothing wrong with drinking small amounts of alcohol on occasion, if you are legally allowed to drink. However, many students (And I have witnessed this) choose to drink LARGE AMOUNTS of alcohol, just so they can "prove" that they are mature. I think that this makes people look very immature. Nobody here has made any argument that drinking alcohol in general makes you a failure.
Student

Geneseo, NY

#18 Mar 1, 2009
Next Door Neighbor wrote:
I live right next door to the Pigs and have witnessed several OUT OF CONTROL parties at that residence. I called the Sherrif's department a couple of times, only to have the party continue after their arrival. I no longer call the Sheriff as nothing ever gets resolved. They are disrespectful neighbors, they leave garbage on our property and the street, and keep me awake at night. This is the worst thing that could ever happen to anybody, and my thoughts are with his family. Maybe the people of Geneseo can get some peace and quiet for a while, now that the consequences of these dangerous parties are more apparent, and have hit so close to home; it is all we ask.
I hope this "fraternity" (or whatever it is) get shut down, too.
Alumni

United States

#19 Mar 1, 2009
I hope everyone realizes how sad of an event this is, instead of pinning it on the student, the Pigs, or the school.
typical student

Geneseo, NY

#20 Mar 1, 2009
You can't blame the organization, the kid just didn't know his limits. That place was fun too, so much for ever going back there... My thoughts and sorrows are with the kid's family. For all the youngans reading this; stick with light beer, liquor is dangerous and WILL KILL YOU. Also have a spotter or a wingman if you pass out, maybe he would have been saved if they didn't get help so late.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 7
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Geneseo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Election Who do you support for State Senator in New Yor... (Oct '10) Tue rnormanii 26
News Building Contractor Guilty of Fraud (Sep '09) Jul '16 josephbarkley 12
News Some consumers boycotting Barilla over homosexu... (Sep '13) Jul '16 josephbarkley 22
Family court (Dec '11) Jun '16 nikki t 47
News D.C.'s Essential Bagels May '16 Zeke the Pinhead 2
Lets Get Dennis Cohen out (Jan '14) Apr '16 Proudmom 12
News Assembly GOPers push crackdown on sanctuary cities (Mar '16) Mar '16 wild child 1

Geneseo Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Geneseo Mortgages