Driver accused of killing SUNY Geneseo student Kaitlin Charity ...

There are 40 comments on the WHEC-TV Rochester, NY story from Dec 19, 2007, titled Driver accused of killing SUNY Geneseo student Kaitlin Charity .... In it, WHEC-TV Rochester, NY reports that:

His lawyer says he's being wrongly accused. The truck driver charged in the death of a SUNY Geneseo student was arraigned today and pleaded not guilty to leaving the scene of an accident and perjury.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WHEC-TV Rochester, NY.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
HUH

Victor, NY

#1 Dec 19, 2007
Did I read this right? HIS lawyer says he's not the brightest star in the sky??? Despite what I think about what the guy did, this hardly seems like the appropriate thing for someone's attorney to say!
Role of Trooper

Victor, NY

#2 Dec 19, 2007
I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why the Trooper who pulled the victim over for speeding is not being held accountable?!
I have been in Law Enforcement for 20+ years. It IS the responsibility of the officer doing the traffic stop to ensure that the driver & their vehicle that he/she pulls over re-enters the highway safely. No "ifs ands or buts".... Unless he was persuing a murder/rape suspect, the trooper had no business leaving a YOUNG WOMAN alone on the highway in the dark!
And, where's this alleged highspeeder that the trooper ditched her to persue, anyway???What were they charged with? Rumor has it that it ended up being someone the Trooper knew and let go without a summons.
Then there's the issue that the trooper alleges that the victim was going to the side of the road to "relieve herself" before he pulled away...WHAT?? That's clearly illegal...Public Lewdness! HELLO?!?!? Why was the trooper permitting her to do that in the 1st place??! Not too mention there was a rest area up the road...that she would have been VERY familiar with having been a student at SUNY Geneseo for FOUR years! Why on earth would she WANT to pee on the side of the road? c'mon....
There's something "off" about this entire scenerio here, folks!I can't be the only one who sees it!
I respect police officers and the dangerous job they do, & ordinarilly don't pass judgement on them. But they're not God, and they make mistakes. And, I don't think they're held accountable for them.
Maybe the trooper bumped her in his rush to catch this speeder and panicked...Maybe he was the FIRST...and the trucker was next and didn't know what he hit... hmmm
Wrong Death Law suit against the Trooper?? heck yeah! I hope the victim's family researches their options.
PS: About the trooper that killed the woman while responding to the home invasion just weeks prior to this tragedy -- I know that there is a total lack of regard on the part of some drivers to obey the law by pulling over, and stopping, when a police car is either coming up from behind, or approaching from on-coming traffic. I have witnessed it myself.
But, I have also, TOO many times, been passed by troopers & deputy sheriffs, travelling at a high rates of speed in the dark, with NO bar lights on, much less a siren..and I didn't see them til they were right up on my bumper. Scares the crap out of anyone... Could THIS have been the case in this tragedy?
I sincerely hope that ALL avenues are researched & investigated in these tragedies. Cops aren't beyond reproach! I hope victims' families & attorney's ask the right questions to the right people. I hope accused defendants, if truly innocent, are given the true benefit of the doubt, are treated innocent until PROVEN guilty, like our justice system is DESIGNED to work.
Again folks...Troopers & Deputies are not the same elite group of people they were 20-30 years ago...too many standards have been lowered to accomodate minority requirments. Just like any other professions, there are bad seeds. We, the public are paying the price...
travis payne

Beacon, NY

#4 Dec 23, 2007
I hope this worthless piece of garbage burns in the flames of hell at the hands of satan for eternity.. I miss you kate.
Allen

Syracuse, NY

#5 Dec 23, 2007
I know the general area where this happened, I agree with "Role of Trooper" as to why the Officer did not wait and ensure the driver was safe, I do remember the initial story saying he left to stop another driver that had been picked up by his radar, so that is why he did it.

Knowing this area, and it is only 3 1/4 miles from the nearest rest area which was open and only about 8 miles from her school.

Now I know I would wait till I got there myself.

This area as well as several others on 390 are high Deer Crossing Areas and to see the road red and a bloody mess in the road that you can not tell is a deer are getting more and more common in recent years.

Also the last time i was stopped by a trooper, he waited till I pulled off, and he also mentioned that if I could find my registration as quickly as I could, because he did not want to stand out as he could get hit, and we were both off the road as far as we could be.
Volunteer Fire Fighter

Penn Yan, NY

#7 Dec 24, 2007
I have to agree that the lady who got killed on her way home by a trooper responding to a request for help for a home invasion may not have been at fault. Although a vehicle may have lights and sirens the dont do any good if you are traveling at a high rate of speed. Sound will only travel so fast and you can be going so fast that a your siren cant be heard till you are right on top of someone if at all. I have seen this at times with the county Advanced life support units in my county I have been out side and can see them but cant hear their sien as clear b/c they are going faster than the sound of their siern can travel. and with the lights someone may not see them right away b/c you are on a bend of road ect. And I agree that she may not have knowen that he was approching her till it was to late and she could have aready had the wheel turned and in the process of turning. Anyways who is going to actualy pull over if they are in the process of turning they will compleate their turn b/c no one wants to have stop turning and go beyond their turn just to pull over and have to try to find some where to turn around. I have had a trooper spook me once when I went to pass a car one time I had looked in my mirrors about a min before and saw nothing and I pass b/c they were going 40 in a 55mph zone and as I was passed all of a sudden I heard a siren and I was still in the process of compleating the pass, and it scared the day lights out of me.
Role of Trooper wrote:
PS: About the trooper that killed the woman while responding to the home invasion just weeks prior to this tragedy -- I know that there is a total lack of regard on the part of some drivers to obey the law by pulling over, and stopping, when a police car is either coming up from behind, or approaching from on-coming traffic. I have witnessed it myself.
But, I have also, TOO many times, been passed by troopers & deputy sheriffs, travelling at a high rates of speed in the dark, with NO bar lights on, much less a siren..and I didn't see them til they were right up on my bumper. Scares the crap out of anyone... Could THIS have been the case in this tragedy?
mei

Rochester, NY

#8 Dec 28, 2007
role of trooper i was told and this could be rumor could be fact, that the other speeding car that the trooper left the girl on the side of the road for was another officer of the law and he let him go.
noonecares

Rochester, NY

#9 Dec 28, 2007
Role of Trooper wrote:
I, for the life of me, cannot figure out why the Trooper who pulled the victim over for speeding is not being held accountable?!
I have been in Law Enforcement for 20+ years. It IS the responsibility of the officer doing the traffic stop to ensure that the driver & their vehicle that he/she pulls over re-enters the highway safely. No "ifs ands or buts".... Unless he was persuing a murder/rape suspect, the trooper had no business leaving a YOUNG WOMAN alone on the highway in the dark!
And, where's this alleged highspeeder that the trooper ditched her to persue, anyway???What were they charged with? Rumor has it that it ended up being someone the Trooper knew and let go without a summons.
Then there's the issue that the trooper alleges that the victim was going to the side of the road to "relieve herself" before he pulled away...WHAT?? That's clearly illegal...Public Lewdness! HELLO?!?!? Why was the trooper permitting her to do that in the 1st place??! Not too mention there was a rest area up the road...that she would have been VERY familiar with having been a student at SUNY Geneseo for FOUR years! Why on earth would she WANT to pee on the side of the road? c'mon....
There's something "off" about this entire scenerio here, folks!I can't be the only one who sees it!
I respect police officers and the dangerous job they do, & ordinarilly don't pass judgement on them. But they're not God, and they make mistakes. And, I don't think they're held accountable for them.
Maybe the trooper bumped her in his rush to catch this speeder and panicked...Maybe he was the FIRST...and the trucker was next and didn't know what he hit... hmmm
Wrong Death Law suit against the Trooper?? heck yeah! I hope the victim's family researches their options.
PS: About the trooper that killed the woman while responding to the home invasion just weeks prior to this tragedy -- I know that there is a total lack of regard on the part of some drivers to obey the law by pulling over, and stopping, when a police car is either coming up from behind, or approaching from on-coming traffic. I have witnessed it myself.
But, I have also, TOO many times, been passed by troopers & deputy sheriffs, travelling at a high rates of speed in the dark, with NO bar lights on, much less a siren..and I didn't see them til they were right up on my bumper. Scares the crap out of anyone... Could THIS have been the case in this tragedy?
I sincerely hope that ALL avenues are researched & investigated in these tragedies. Cops aren't beyond reproach! I hope victims' families & attorney's ask the right questions to the right people. I hope accused defendants, if truly innocent, are given the true benefit of the doubt, are treated innocent until PROVEN guilty, like our justice system is DESIGNED to work.
Again folks...Troopers & Deputies are not the same elite group of people they were 20-30 years ago...too many standards have been lowered to accomodate minority requirments. Just like any other professions, there are bad seeds. We, the public are paying the price...
i could'tn have stated this better. Kudos to you for stateing the facts of life in the USA now. It seeems all standards have been lowered in all walks of life and professions to accomodate "diversity" of culture. We are losing our identity ,the next that will happen is that we will be over -run with only "diverse cultures"tower of Babel. Get it???
KillTheLazy

Geneva, NY

#11 Dec 28, 2007
I drive that stretch a lot, and see a ton of animal carcasses on the road all year long. But I also use caution and move over a lane if I can when I see a car on the shoulder. As an EMT and Firefighter I know what it feels like to have traffic screaming past you at 60+ MPH.

1. The Trooper Should have waited
2. She is a college student in the area, has traveled the road before and should have gone to the rest area to relieve herself.
3. Accidents happen all the time.
4. This is not manslaughter.
5. If he thought he hit an animal it isn't even leaving the scene on a MVA, most road kill isn't a domesticated animal.
6. Stupidity doesn't equal guilt, if it does, the the young lady caused her own death when she chose to break the speed limit.
totheinsensitive jerk

Geneseo, NY

#13 Apr 23, 2008
KillTheLazy wrote:
I drive that stretch a lot, and see a ton of animal carcasses on the road all year long. But I also use caution and move over a lane if I can when I see a car on the shoulder. As an EMT and Firefighter I know what it feels like to have traffic screaming past you at 60+ MPH.
1. The Trooper Should have waited
2. She is a college student in the area, has traveled the road before and should have gone to the rest area to relieve herself.
3. Accidents happen all the time.
4. This is not manslaughter.
5. If he thought he hit an animal it isn't even leaving the scene on a MVA, most road kill isn't a domesticated animal.
6. Stupidity doesn't equal guilt, if it does, the the young lady caused her own death when she chose to break the speed limit.
you are a moron. stupidity is a person in a massive vehicle plowing into a human being. or any living being.
bewildered

Topeka, KS

#14 Apr 23, 2008
this story does not add up i dont believe she went to the side to take a crap. not next to the wide open interstate. no female would especially alone and so close to a rest area and if afraid to go to the rest area she was so close to home I cant believe that the few minutes it would have taken her to get home that she wouldnt wait. this poor child had fowl play and by the absence of certain info from the police I believe they are covering for someone close to them,if not them.I also hope her family asks more questions and as hard as it may be they should have their own investigator and start with going over her car with a fine tooth comb for prints, and any other clues that could bring out the truth. with them being from LI they should have a good choice of lawyers to bring out the justice for their daughter.may she rest in peace and may god give her justice for the injustice done to her totheinsensitivejerk from freeport you seem like the moron
COOTER

Woodhaven, NY

#15 Apr 24, 2008
totheinsensitivejerk wrote:
<quoted text>
you are a moron. stupidity is a person in a massive vehicle plowing into a human being. or any living being.
Your the moron. If it wasn't for "massive" vehicles you wouldn't be eating today. I have been driving for 11 years now and I haven't "plowed" into anything. I am also fortunate that I haven't been driving down the road with college students running around in traffic in the middle of the night.
COOTER

Woodhaven, NY

#16 Apr 24, 2008
totheinsensitivejerk wrote:
<quoted text>
you are a moron. stupidity is a person in a massive vehicle plowing into a human being. or any living being.
You said any human being or any "living being". I know what a human being is but a little confused about what a "living being" is. Could you please explain to us what a living being is? Are we talking about aliens??? If by living being you mean animals, are you saying we should swerv and and smash up instead of running over a deer or raccoon running in front of us? Your stupid. You are the feces that is produced when stupidity eats moronic.
abc

Newark, DE

#17 May 21, 2008
COOTER wrote:
<quoted text>
Your the moron. If it wasn't for "massive" vehicles you wouldn't be eating today. I have been driving for 11 years now and I haven't "plowed" into anything. I am also fortunate that I haven't been driving down the road with college students running around in traffic in the middle of the night.
Kaitlin had been my best friend since preschool. She was a brillant, very intelligent girl. How dare you infer that she was so reckless to be "running around in traffic in the middle of the night." Both you and killthelazy made judgemental insensitive comments. You have no idea about the full situation, let alone are taking into account that this was a young girl's life that was taken and that it has obviously affected tons of people's lives. I don't think it is completely the truck drivers fault, there could have been many factors in the situation, which unfortunately, none of us will ever fully know. The wrong that occured was if he knew he hit a human and kept driving.
I just hope everyone keeps in mind that this isn't just some news story. Real people are involved and a beautiful, amazing person was killed.
MKLADY

Batavia, NY

#18 May 23, 2008
I never realized that it 'is the responsibility of the officer doing the traffic stop to ensure that the driver & their vehicle that he/she pulls over re-enters the highway safely. No "ifs ands or buts"....'

Most times after I have been pulled over, I am so shaken up that I just want to sit and settle. I always thought the cop was just waiting to see if I would be so mad while pulling out that he could catch me doing something else wrong.

That must be the reason then why one night while driving down the road, very busy that night, an officer had a car pulled over in front of the old Bill Theresa service station. When all of a sudden the officer pulled his car out into traffic in front of me and just sat there (no lights blazing) in order for that car to pull out. I see what he was trying to do, but he could have caused a major traffic pile up. Why? Because he didn't want to have to wait for traffic! He should have thought about that before pulling over that vechicle.

If I would have been the one to do that in order to re-enter traffic, that same officer would have ticketed me for it.

Gross misuse of authority if you ask me.
cabbage patch

Geneva, NY

#19 May 23, 2008
the brown shirt scum tax collector ( i mean state trooper) did leave her on the side of the road and promptly allowed the person who he pulled over to go because they were a member of the fraternity of ass -wipes.

There is only emergency stopping on a highway and after the brown shirt pulled her over he was in her care. He is responsible for her death .And as we can see from the trooper who was going 120 mph on a 45 mph stretch of 104 in ontario ,nothing ever happens to these bums when they murder at will.

Its time for a citizens revolt .Long live buckey who was able to defend himself against 2 of these gestapos before they could murder again. They are ruthless and enemies of a free people.
Cooter

Arlington, IN

#20 May 26, 2008
cabbage patch wrote:
the brown shirt scum tax collector ( i mean state trooper) did leave her on the side of the road and promptly allowed the person who he pulled over to go because they were a member of the fraternity of ass -wipes.
There is only emergency stopping on a highway and after the brown shirt pulled her over he was in her care. He is responsible for her death .And as we can see from the trooper who was going 120 mph on a 45 mph stretch of 104 in ontario ,nothing ever happens to these bums when they murder at will.
Its time for a citizens revolt .Long live buckey who was able to defend himself against 2 of these gestapos before they could murder again. They are ruthless and enemies of a free people.
Amen
duffer

Rochester, NY

#21 May 28, 2008
So, Volunteeer Firefighter, when did we engineer emergency vehicles that exceed the sound barrier?
a friend of the victim

Lake Grove, NY

#22 Jul 1, 2008
some people should be a little more sensitive to the fact that people who knew this woman might be googling her name to find out the details of the accident as well as the following court case and may not want to read inappropriate comments about their loved one.
cabbage patch

Rochester, NY

#23 Jul 2, 2008
I will say it again ,the scum bag trooper who left her on the highway to die needs to have his entire family jailed for his actions in the death of this student who needed to go to the bathroom.I do not wish to hurt any one but the brown shirt pig who violated his oath to server and to protect the public.They have become slaves to there masters and there pensions .Its no longer about serving the public ,just finding ways to tax us to death . They will one day pay for there insolence .I wish cancer upon him and his entire family for generations .
travis payne

Englishtown, NJ

#24 Jul 3, 2008
KillTheLazy wrote:
Just to confirm. Her last act as a living, breathing human being was taking a massive (record breaking) crap on the grass line right next to her car. And that is the truth. Confirmed by the officer from the medical examiners office who picked the young lady up.
well, are'nt you the 2nd most wothless pile of putrid, rumor filled hate on the web. I hope you deepthroat satan & suffocate, you prock

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Geneseo Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for fun May 14 brad 1
Lets Get Dennis Cohen out (Jan '14) May 12 dlh429 4
News 19-year old dies in car accident (Aug '09) Apr 30 StopOrIWillShoot 29
Family court (Dec '11) Apr 29 Concerned Mother 42
A novel set in the Tuxedo area. Apr 21 Walking man 1
News Man pleads not guilty in heroin injection fatality (Dec '06) Apr '15 Kelsey love 13
News Mt. Morris man facing burglary, arson charges Apr '15 AubreyIsLesbian 1
More from around the web

Geneseo People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]