Gautier council asks Legislature to approve local vote on a tax

Mar 7, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: The Mississippi Press

The City Council approved a resolution asking for legislative authority to hold a referendum on a 1 percent tax on restaurant and bar sales to fund recreation, economic development and tourism promotion.

Comments
1 - 3 of 3 Comments Last updated Mar 8, 2012
Watchful Eye

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2012

This only hurts the small businesses. The city assumes that the businesses will pass the tax onto the consumer. However, in such a saturated market where pricing determines success amongst competition businesses will be forced to pay the tax on behalf of the customer in order to retain them. I guess the city forgets that it is the small business owners that sponsor/support youth recreation already. Perhaps if the city leaders took a paycut this tax wouldnt be needed.
bgk

Moss Point, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2012

They're doing what Ocean Springs did & trying to 'revitalize' the area around Lowes & the mall. I actually think your argument isn't valid because Gautier really doesn't have much of a small business infrastructure. The mall is over half empty....

Most ppl here when they do go out -- go to Pascagoula or OS or D'Iberville to go eat. There's nothing here save a few fastfood joints & a few pizza establishments.
bgk

Moss Point, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 8, 2012

...also -- Gautier is borrowing basically 100 million dollars just to turn the mall into a Promenade type thing. They forget that half the real estate in D'Iberville IS EMPTY!

Revitalization doesn't work. It just moves money from one part of the county to the other. The real problem with all this is that the county is dying with the shipyard, the closing of the navy homeport, & the general decline in gaming revenue/tourist revenue & the overall economy.

The shipyard just laid off like a thousand ppl or forced retirement, including a friend of mine.

Without high-paying jobs that pay 40k a year or more like those @ Ingalls -- you can back up a retail establishment like we have @ the mall.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••

Gautier Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

Gautier People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Gautier News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Gautier