In search of a solution to teen pregnancy

Nov 28, 2010 Full story: Djournal.com 12

In this photo taken Nov. 11, 2010, Randy McGee, 17, of Gautier plays with her two-month-old baby Raina Toi McGee at their home in Gautier, Miss.

Full Story
Hardtruth

Pascagoula, MS

#2 Nov 30, 2010
Simple, if they get pregnant, make them get married. Crack down on divorce laws.

Expand abortion options. Abortion is legal. Don't like that -- lobby to have it banned.

And for the love of God, teach kids to wear condoms. We have the highest rate of 4 things in this state, one, poverty, 2 obesity with all of our fat fucking food, third religious hypocrisy among self-righteous fat hicks and morons, and four, the highest teen birth rate in America thanks, of course, to our self-righteous tard policy of 'waiting till your married.'

OF course these days people don't get married till they're 35 or 40, IF they get married. Not everybody is so lucky. A lot of people aren't compatible.

Teach condoms and hope for the best that's really all you can do.
just a thought

Diamondhead, MS

#5 Nov 30, 2010
How about parents just start being parents and stop trying to be there kids friends.
hardtruth

Pascagoula, MS

#6 Dec 1, 2010
just a thought wrote:
How about parents just start being parents and stop trying to be there kids friends.
That's not really the issue. A lot of people have kids that they not only don't really want, but that they're not prepared to care for, nor do they have the funds to care for.

It's not just parents being wrong-headed. It's much deeper than that. The institution of marriage itself in this country is collapsing.

Considering it's not something I really believe in for myself(it's fine for others though)-- that's a scary thought.

What do you replace it with?
just a thought

Diamondhead, MS

#7 Dec 1, 2010
The responsibility rests soley on the parents, you can't blame institutions of marriage, schools, etc.. for this. This problem is so simple and as the parent of three tennage kids i feel i may have some credibility on this. I'm engaged in every aspect of there life for one; they don't leave the home for one dressed the way i see some of there friends or kids of similiar ages dressing. Another thing it comes down to showing respect and having some simple boundries for what is and what is not acceptable behavior. I can't tell you how many times i see kids roaming the streets or acting in a way not acceptable. It's not the government nor any other's responsiblility to raise someone's children, parents set the boundries and it's parents who should be held accountable.

I don't buy the reason for this as parents not wanting kids or don't have funds. Maybe instead of cashing that government check every month they should instead do the right thing and be intrusive and raise there own d*amn kids. Society as a whole has fallen so far in the gutter that common sense and accoutability of there own actions is somehow the government's fault or the schools fault.
hard truth

Pascagoula, MS

#8 Dec 2, 2010
just a thought wrote:
The responsibility rests soley on the parents, you can't blame institutions of marriage, schools, etc.. for this. This problem is so simple and as the parent of three tennage kids i feel i may have some credibility on this. I'm engaged in every aspect of there life for one; they don't leave the home for one dressed the way i see some of there friends or kids of similiar ages dressing. Another thing it comes down to showing respect and having some simple boundries for what is and what is not acceptable behavior. I can't tell you how many times i see kids roaming the streets or acting in a way not acceptable. It's not the government nor any other's responsiblility to raise someone's children, parents set the boundries and it's parents who should be held accountable.
I don't buy the reason for this as parents not wanting kids or don't have funds. Maybe instead of cashing that government check every month they should instead do the right thing and be intrusive and raise there own d*amn kids. Society as a whole has fallen so far in the gutter that common sense and accoutability of there own actions is somehow the government's fault or the schools fault.
Just because you have a good head on your shoulders doesn't mean that most other people do. In fact I would argue most people, especially around here, have their priorities all in the wrong place.

Just look at the divorce rate. People are having children they don't have the money to care for and frankly children they don't even want although they never fess up and force themselves to admit it.

While you sound like you're a good parent, you are in a very small and ever-shrinking minority.

Sadly until we can correct these issues via more forceful and intrusive methods condoms and abortion are our only real tools to fix this issue. Adoption sounds good but look @ how many adopted kids languish unwanted in foster homes.

Until we do drastic things like outlaw divorce in most instances and fix people who prove they shouldn't be parents via surgery there isn't much we as a society can do save sit back and watch it fall apart.
be true

United States

#10 Dec 6, 2010
YMake birth controll available . Are there clinics like planned parenthood where it is based on income most times free.

Since: Dec 10

Location hidden

#11 Dec 28, 2010
sounds like a heated issue!..some sound reasonable some sound as stupis as people having kids they cant take of..like on the making divorce illigal..what will that solve??..not sht!!..you think just because people are married that will stop people sleeping around..wow how ignorant you are..i personally like the idea of fixing the idiots that cant use good judgement!!..whats weird to me is...most are black people!! oh and stupid white trash..yea yea i knw how racist that sounds...who cares. its my opinion..but with all the FREE goverment assistance they enroll in why ant birth control one of them?????.the parents do need to talk to these girls..and they need hard truth... not the sugar coated verson that makes them feel confortable..me as a guy i know all the sht we talk when it comes to women and sex..the girls need to be taught we will say anything for it and harser child support needs to be in affect..like pay this weekly miss one month and your a** will be in jail...yea that will stop all the nonsence..and like the peson before the ones that for some ignorant reason cant comprehend there f ups needs to be fix like an animal cause i cant see them being a positive product for anyone future...just more baggage for the tax payers to take care of!!
Orville

Ocean Springs, MS

#12 Dec 28, 2010
B_rad_2_Point_0 wrote:
sounds like a heated issue!..some sound reasonable some sound as stupis as people having kids they cant take of..like on the making divorce illigal..what will that solve??..not sht!!..you think just because people are married that will stop people sleeping around..wow how ignorant you are..i personally like the idea of fixing the idiots that cant use good judgement!!..whats weird to me is...most are black people!! oh and stupid white trash..yea yea i knw how racist that sounds...who cares. its my opinion..but with all the FREE goverment assistance they enroll in why ant birth control one of them?????.the parents do need to talk to these girls..and they need hard truth... not the sugar coated verson that makes them feel confortable..me as a guy i know all the sht we talk when it comes to women and sex..the girls need to be taught we will say anything for it and harser child support needs to be in affect..like pay this weekly miss one month and your a** will be in jail...yea that will stop all the nonsence..and like the peson before the ones that for some ignorant reason cant comprehend there f ups needs to be fix like an animal cause i cant see them being a positive product for anyone future...just more baggage for the tax payers to take care of!!
\\

Bra_d: You show signs of genius. I think you should consider a run for public office. Run on the "Good Ole Boy" ticket or perhaps the "Certified Idiot ticket" or even the "Up Against the wall you Redneck Muthas" Ticket. Live the moment!!! This town needs your expertise and knowledge.

“NSA”

Since: Jul 10

Location hidden

#13 Jan 18, 2011
its b_rad not bra_d...dont fck it up again
Mississippizippy

Pascagoula, MS

#14 Jan 18, 2011
B_rad_2_Point_0 wrote:
Birth rates have actually fallen, even in this state.

But Idk, this is going to be a majority black state in 20 years and I won't say anything else.

I won't be here, after Barbour leaves the govt. will implode anyway.

These idiots can't clean up their act, they'll have anarchy here before it's all over and done with.
Ironbar

United States

#15 Jan 19, 2011
You won't ever change teenage dudes. They will always take anything the girl will give up.

You can change the girls. If you have a daughter, you tell her, like my mom told my sister, no glove no love, and I mean it, I'm not raising your baby. Most guys I know won't force themselves on a girl, if she says no, I ain't gonna force it, I'm not an animal. The kids will experiment, and a chastity ring doesn't work like a condom does to make your life better in the long run. Be honest, what age were YOU when you first had sex?

They should give out free condoms in high school like they do in college, I've seen some condom packs with a school logo on them! Good idea, have some school spirit and do the right thing.

Those teen mom shows don't help, they make it look a lot better than it is for most teen moms.
A mom of a teen mom

Biloxi, MS

#16 Jan 21, 2011
From someone who's lived in this situation let me set facts for those that haven't to consider. Regardless of what kind of parent you are, you can't be with your children 24/7..they go to school, church, friends homes and places with friends families. My daughter was an honor roll student in advance gifted couses. She is and wasn't a bad kid without parental supervision. She became pregnant in the 9th grade. Dispite being a public health official for many years in another state knowing that kids do what kids do even under close eye and having placed my daughter on birth control shots at her menstral onset she still became pregnant from having sexual relationships with an older boy whom was in her same grade at school but had for whatever reasons been held back, failed etc. at the same time she was taking medication "antibiotics". Again how did she become pregnant is irrelivant at this point cause it happened. Unlike prominately white parents of middle to upper class families in Mississippi whom run off to Mobile or Jackson for "problem solving" abortions nor unlike teens whom find themselves in this situation that hide it till it's too late or get kicked out of their homes. My daughter came to us right away. It ws her decision along with , her step-father, older brother and younger sister and I that it was decided that she would have this baby and as a member of our family we would all help to see that her baby was taken care of properly.

Since becoming a parent of a teen mom I have learned alot about our government. This baby has a father but because he is under 21, his parent must be present and notified of any legal proceedings against him. His single mother has kicked him out of her house for stealing her weeds stash (thus been told) so he lives from pilar to post and dropped out of school (9th grade at age 18 reminding you) so is uneducated and does not work. Child support investigators try to locate him for a child support case but even with information provided they are unable to get the mother to cooperate (does it surprise you). My daughter is a minor therfore she doesn't qualify for any gov. assistance cause she is my responsiblity till she is a legal adult (age 21 in Mississippi). So for the record it can happen to the best of kids but it takes a responsible parent to make their child do right once it does!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gautier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Ocean Springs Lumber (Jan '07) Dec 22 Mike 196
Man on East Beach wearing nothing but a Thong (Sep '09) Dec 20 Don in Michigan 55
os walmart shoplifting allegations (Oct '13) Dec 19 Bloodboy456 31
BJ's Cafe: The biscuits are calling you (Mar '11) Dec 18 Anonomous 34
Do you approve of Steven Palazzo as Representat... (May '12) Dec 16 Orville 43
fast and reliable pain n anxiety meds Dec 14 helping oceansprings 1
Air Conditioning (Jun '14) Dec 10 Zach 6

Flood Watch for Jackson County was issued at December 26 at 12:27AM CST

Gautier Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Gautier People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Gautier News, Events & Info