Moss Point names new police chief

Moss Point names new police chief

There are 72 comments on the The Clarion-Ledger story from Jun 8, 2008, titled Moss Point names new police chief. In it, The Clarion-Ledger reports that:

Moss Point has appointed a 20-year member of the Pascagoula Police Department as its police chief.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Clarion-Ledger.

wake up people

United States

#42 Sep 16, 2008
Are you sleep wrote:
<quoted text>
Ok crack in the City of Moss Point, but are you saying no other city has a crack problem??? To say that she has done Zero is a bit much. There are not only more officers on the street but calls are being answered. She even returned my phone call in reference to a complaint against one of her officers which is a first. I have called in the past and even went down there but the previous Chiefs would not come out to see you or return a phone call. This mess in Moss Point didn't happen overnight and I don't think that she can change things overnight. Let's give her a chance. If she doesn't work out, let's get someone else. It certainly can't hurt, she's number what (four), in the past four or five years!!!!
if shes so great, then why arent patrols put into the worst areas of moss point?
why do the hot spots get ignored like the conoco and the little supra parking lot what about all the stores selling little brown paper bags that contain everything you need to smoke crack(no lie)
why are law abiding citizens harassed while drug dealers and trash go on like nothings wrong?i dont think there will ever be hope for that place just like theres no hope for college park in gautier
believe it or not, continue to be blind,
nothing will solve these problems
theres too many free loaders in these towns who thrive on the drug business
free loaders that take hand outs from our pay checks and drink beer and smoke crack all day while we are at work
wake the hell up man
hot pockets

Boise, ID

#43 Oct 14, 2008
i cant think of a tougher job in law enforcement on the mississippi gulf coast, than that of moss point police chief. the job consists of two battles.... the first being the actual crime in the city which is the highest in jackson county, and second, dealing with the loud, racist and greedy people in the public sector and city government that do not want the city policed like it needs to be. I always found it hilarious when these rebel rousers would fabricate claims against moss point officers about them being racist and picking on the black community. in case you havent noticed, its a majority black city. Do the math people. additionally, i cant think of any racist, even the most sadistic of any racist culture that would try to support their family with one of the lowest paid police salaries in south mississippi to support their hatred games. the city is damn lucky that they even have a department. and even damn luckier to have chief smallman. I read a bumper sticker the other day that said "if you don't like the police, next time call a crackhead" I like that idea.....kudos to the police and kudos to the chief.
Mourning for Moss Point

Pascagoula, MS

#44 Oct 17, 2008
Mayor Bishop made a mistake when he did what he did to run off Interim Chief Fred Gaston god rest his soul. Gaston's reputation in law enforcement was shown after his murder by the flood of praise from his brother officers that had worked with and for him. Shiela is a good person but does not have yet the ability to make others WANT to work for her. Gaston was the most qualified applicant for the chiefs job that has ever applied I don't thnk we'll ever get another chance at a man like that with what they pay the chief in MP
you are lost

United States

#45 Oct 17, 2008
hot pockets wrote:
i cant think of a tougher job in law enforcement on the mississippi gulf coast, than that of moss point police chief. the job consists of two battles.... the first being the actual crime in the city which is the highest in jackson county, and second, dealing with the loud, racist and greedy people in the public sector and city government that do not want the city policed like it needs to be. I always found it hilarious when these rebel rousers would fabricate claims against moss point officers about them being racist and picking on the black community. in case you havent noticed, its a majority black city. Do the math people. additionally, i cant think of any racist, even the most sadistic of any racist culture that would try to support their family with one of the lowest paid police salaries in south mississippi to support their hatred games. the city is damn lucky that they even have a department. and even damn luckier to have chief smallman. I read a bumper sticker the other day that said "if you don't like the police, next time call a crackhead" I like that idea.....kudos to the police and kudos to the chief.
you obviously have no knowledge about this police department
1 one cop is in prison for selling crack in a patrol car
2 the police acted like children at a football game by pulling down victory banners because they couldnt handle a small town team creaming their football team
3 tax paying citizens are harassed for minor offenses while crack heads openly do drug deals and prostitutes regularly approach people at stores
4 not to mention the many bully beatings that have consistently happened
moss point doesnt need to exist as a city it has been obvious for many many years that they are not capable of running a city and that includes a professional police department
YOU are an idiot
you know nothing about the police department
i say kudos
to curly clark
he's got the balls to speak up and tell the truth
thats what they want

United States

#46 Oct 17, 2008
Mourning for Moss Point wrote:
Mayor Bishop made a mistake when he did what he did to run off Interim Chief Fred Gaston god rest his soul. Gaston's reputation in law enforcement was shown after his murder by the flood of praise from his brother officers that had worked with and for him. Shiela is a good person but does not have yet the ability to make others WANT to work for her. Gaston was the most qualified applicant for the chiefs job that has ever applied I don't thnk we'll ever get another chance at a man like that with what they pay the chief in MP
moss point doesnt want a clean cop
he might uncover some skeletons they dont want discovered
hot pockets

Long Beach, MS

#47 Oct 23, 2008
the police do the best they can with the crapy leadership that the community elects every term. Thanks for calling me an idiot though. curly clark??? he has balls indeed....unfortunately, look at his record on citizen complaints which he backed, and tell me how many resulted in indictments, terminations and convictions. He tries to smear the department and the officers in the media before due process is ever afforded. Besides the retarded tow truck driver, lest see if you can provide a number for the amount of caucasion complaints he has voiced his concern over in the media?

football? try examining the rules sometime, i think there are some explicit rules concerning signs being displayed at games.

idiot out
hot pockets

Long Beach, MS

#48 Oct 23, 2008
the police do the best they can with the crapy leadership that the community elects every term. Thanks for calling me an idiot though. curly clark??? he has balls indeed....unfortunately, look at his record on citizen complaints which he backed, and tell me how many resulted in indictments, terminations and convictions. He tries to smear the department and the officers in the media before due process is ever afforded. Besides the retarded tow truck driver, lest see if you can provide a number for the amount of caucasion complaints he has voiced his concern over in the media? He is the bully, not the cops. If you KNEW anything about the police, you would understand what kind of crap they deal with in moss point.

cop in prison? great job....you are right....she deserves to be where she is. Should we consider the rest of the force tainted because of her? if so...that is racism and the color being "disrespected" (which is not a word) is blue. YOU ARE AN IDIOT

football? try examining the rules sometime, i think there are some explicit rules concerning signs being displayed at games.

idiot out
oh hell no

United States

#49 Oct 23, 2008
hot pockets wrote:
the police do the best they can with the crapy leadership that the community elects every term. Thanks for calling me an idiot though. curly clark??? he has balls indeed....unfortunately, look at his record on citizen complaints which he backed, and tell me how many resulted in indictments, terminations and convictions. He tries to smear the department and the officers in the media before due process is ever afforded. Besides the retarded tow truck driver, lest see if you can provide a number for the amount of caucasion complaints he has voiced his concern over in the media?
football? try examining the rules sometime, i think there are some explicit rules concerning signs being displayed at games.
idiot out
victory
IS NOT EXPLICIT
moss point cant handle being beaten
because that is the only thing the entire city has that i not the worst on the coast
remind me of a time when moss point was ever worth beans
i am up in age and i can remember being told as a child and teen to stay away from THAT BAD PLACE (moss point)long long ago
there will never be hope for the dump
Common Sense

Bethpage, NY

#50 Oct 24, 2008
wake up people wrote:
<quoted text>
if shes so great, then why arent patrols put into the worst areas of moss point?
why do the hot spots get ignored like the conoco and the little supra parking lot what about all the stores selling little brown paper bags that contain everything you need to smoke crack(no lie)
why are law abiding citizens harassed while drug dealers and trash go on like nothings wrong?i dont think there will ever be hope for that place just like theres no hope for college park in gautier
believe it or not, continue to be blind,
nothing will solve these problems
theres too many free loaders in these towns who thrive on the drug business
free loaders that take hand outs from our pay checks and drink beer and smoke crack all day while we are at work
wake the hell up man
I totally agree!!!! People are making comments about she is the first female black cheif give her a chance. It does not matter who you are black, white, purple, male or female if you can not get the job done and get it done correctly you need to be replaced. Moss Point does need help I see it everyday and no I am not pissed off nor do I break the law I go to work 5 days a week and attend college three days a night. Cheif Smallwood was rude to me and I formed my opinion of her from my personal experiences. Trust me you do not have to be breaking the law in Moss Point to be harassed my law enforcement and when you try to follow proper protocol to file your complaint no one wants to listen they want to either down talk you or talk over you because you are belittering there department. Maybe if she would listen to the citizens, actual tax paying citizens who want to make a differnce in there community instead of being on the defensive things may change for the better.
Common Sense

Bethpage, NY

#51 Oct 24, 2008
Jackson County wrote:
The Chief is right. Too many people are not telling the whole story. Did Bethesda tell you that the Hotel requested the police to escort them out but she wants to point the finger at the Police Dept for enforcing the law. What the Chief has stated so many times is that if the officer is wrong, he/she will be disciplined but if the officer has done nothing but perform his/her duty then the Chief will support that officer. The Chief has also said that she wants the officers to be courteous & professional, and she will not tolerate any form of abuse from them under her watch! I support her and have heard nothing but good, positive feedback since she has been appointed. Seems to me that the only ones complaining are those that have broken the law!!!!! Sit back like the rest of us, let her do her job and you just might see the changes she has already made.<quoted text>
You have no idea what you are talking about! You are telling someone elses story mine has absolutely nothing to do with any hotel I own a home in Moss Point no reason to be in a hotel. Please speak on what you know and on another note I do not break the law I go to work 5 days a week and go to school 3 days a night I do not have time to break the law. Im not from this area and was too harassed my the police dept after calling them myself for help; and like I said when I went to her to file my complaint she basically did not want to hear anything I had to say. I am forming my opinion from my personal experiences you are welcome to think whatever you like. There is a problem in the city of Moss Point and until they get some professional people in these positions who are willing to step on some toes and stop trying to take up for individuals when they have done wrong nothing is going to change. And yes I am planning to move out of this city as soon as possible.
twilight zone man

United States

#52 Oct 24, 2008
Common Sense wrote:
<quoted text>
I totally agree!!!! People are making comments about she is the first female black cheif give her a chance. It does not matter who you are black, white, purple, male or female if you can not get the job done and get it done correctly you need to be replaced. Moss Point does need help I see it everyday and no I am not pissed off nor do I break the law I go to work 5 days a week and attend college three days a night. Cheif Smallwood was rude to me and I formed my opinion of her from my personal experiences. Trust me you do not have to be breaking the law in Moss Point to be harassed my law enforcement and when you try to follow proper protocol to file your complaint no one wants to listen they want to either down talk you or talk over you because you are belittering there department. Maybe if she would listen to the citizens, actual tax paying citizens who want to make a differnce in there community instead of being on the defensive things may change for the better.
man, is this not a twilight zone moment???
i just mentioned moss points conoco and its danger and now we have an innocent family man murdered there
why didnt the police do something ahead of time
they admitted knowing it was a bad place on he news
this is seriously wrong
a family man was killed while his wife watched and was left to fend for herself with the sewage of moss point until the unprofessional moss point cops got there to make her feel even less safe this really bothers me
why do they get away with this endangerment of citizens???
how ya like em now

United States

#53 Oct 24, 2008
how ya like moss point now??
wanna get murdered
visit moss point and stop to ask directions
this tragedy did not surprise me at all
there was even a warning on this thread
weeks ago go back and read the warnings about the conoco youll see
Moss Point Haters

Meridian, ID

#54 Oct 26, 2008
If you know about the "brown bag" and that the city government is lacking, why do you keep putting them in office? Better yet, help them to get better salary for the police department so that they can attract more professional & well trained officers. As for the crime, no one said anything when the LA man was killed in Jackson County a couple of weeks ago. Just be fair and know that crime happens all over Jackson county & Harrison County as well. As far as patrol, the officers are patroling the high crime areas more but can they be everywhere 24/7 and to Ms Common Sense, Chief Smallman probably listened, you just didn't like what she had to say. I've also made a complaint with her & yes I was angry & rude when I first went in but after I vented realized that I was part of my problem. According to her she welcomes complaints and would like more community policing, so we need to help by being a part of the solution, not the gossip column. If she accepts the help we will have done our part, if not, so much for help & community policing.
Moss Point Haters

Meridian, ID

#55 Oct 26, 2008
Moss Point Haters wrote:
If you know about the "brown bag" and that the city government is lacking, why do you keep putting them in office? Better yet, help them to get better salary for the police department so that they can attract more professional & well trained officers. As for the crime, no one said anything when the LA man was killed in Jackson County a couple of weeks ago. Just be fair and know that crime happens all over Jackson county & Harrison County as well. As far as patrol, the officers are patroling the high crime areas more but can they be everywhere 24/7 and to Ms Common Sense, Chief Smallman probably listened, you just didn't like what she had to say. I've also made a complaint with her & yes I was angry & rude when I first went in but after I vented realized that I was part of my problem. According to her she welcomes complaints and would like more community policing, so we need to help by being a part of the solution, not the gossip column. If she accepts the help we will have done our part, if not, so much for help & community policing.
I just want to say that my son was constantly harassed by Moss Point officers but I spoke with the Chief and she was very professional & even listened to my complaint. Even further, my son is no longer harassed. She realizes that she is fighting an uphill battle with little or no help, and I must give her kudos because I although I had an attitude, she listened!!!!.
Do your homework

Meridian, ID

#56 Oct 26, 2008
you are lost wrote:
<quoted text>
you obviously have no knowledge about this police department
1 one cop is in prison for selling crack in a patrol car
2 the police acted like children at a football game by pulling down victory banners because they couldnt handle a small town team creaming their football team
3 tax paying citizens are harassed for minor offenses while crack heads openly do drug deals and prostitutes regularly approach people at stores
4 not to mention the many bully beatings that have consistently happened
moss point doesnt need to exist as a city it has been obvious for many many years that they are not capable of running a city and that includes a professional police department
YOU are an idiot
you know nothing about the police department
i say kudos
to curly clark
he's got the balls to speak up and tell the truth
Before you waste all your kudos on Curly Clark, make sure he's telling the truth. Obviously you have no knowledge of the police dept and certainly not CC. Oh by the way you wouldn't know that because you don't know him like those of us who really do. Truth vs Attention!
hot pockets

Boise, ID

#57 Oct 26, 2008
Moss Point Haters wrote:
<quoted text>
I just want to say that my son was constantly harassed by Moss Point officers but I spoke with the Chief and she was very professional & even listened to my complaint. Even further, my son is no longer harassed. She realizes that she is fighting an uphill battle with little or no help, and I must give her kudos because I although I had an attitude, she listened!!!!.
the guy from La was all over the news, i dont know why you missed it. Nonetheless, he was a dirtbag dope dealer who was killed because of the line of work he chose to engage in. Too bad it happened in our county where our tax dollars had to be used to investigate and prosecute the crimes. On another note....im sure there are bad cops everywhere but i think that a lot of people in moss point get the phrases "police harrasment" and "law enforcement" confused. Im sorry guys, but when you act like a thug (and i could go on for hours getting specific,) go ahead and expect some extra police attention. For the few and genuinely victimized people who experienced police harrasment (and i mean REAL harrasment,) take your complaints and your civility to the chief. Not Curly Clark, the NAACP, WLOX, Morris Bart, or anyone else. If your problems are not remedied, then seek other means.
never happen

United States

#58 Oct 27, 2008
hot pockets wrote:
<quoted text>
the guy from La was all over the news, i dont know why you missed it. Nonetheless, he was a dirtbag dope dealer who was killed because of the line of work he chose to engage in. Too bad it happened in our county where our tax dollars had to be used to investigate and prosecute the crimes. On another note....im sure there are bad cops everywhere but i think that a lot of people in moss point get the phrases "police harrasment" and "law enforcement" confused. Im sorry guys, but when you act like a thug (and i could go on for hours getting specific,) go ahead and expect some extra police attention. For the few and genuinely victimized people who experienced police harrasment (and i mean REAL harrasment,) take your complaints and your civility to the chief. Not Curly Clark, the NAACP, WLOX, Morris Bart, or anyone else. If your problems are not remedied, then seek other means.
ok
the moss point cops are so great right?
well why did everyone in the city know how bad the conoco spot was and that something needed to be done there and it never was?
how come the same activity goes on all over moss point in broad daylight and nothings been done for YEARS ??????????
quit making excuses for the place
now we have innocent people killed and three murderers on the loose who will probably never be caught because moss point is a safe haven for criminals
hot pockets

Boise, ID

#59 Oct 28, 2008
Im not saying the moss point cops are "so great" Im simply saying that they don't get any credit for the good they do. why don't you explain what the cops should do to clean up the conoco. In case you haven't noticed, the entire city is dump. You can level the conoco, plant flowers there and pipe in disney music all day and the thugs that used to hang there will be somewhere else raping,robbing,and killing others. By the way....the supects are in custody. the problem is not the conoco, it is the people in moss point. It is physically impossible to make it a clean and safe city given the amount of criminals that live there verses the amount of police employed there. Everytime the police try to do some real proactive work.....BAM.....here come the racial, police brutality complaints. Whats the answer you ask? Move out of moss point and let the thugs have it. its an uphill battle.
excuse me

United States

#60 Nov 2, 2008
hot pockets wrote:
Im not saying the moss point cops are "so great" Im simply saying that they don't get any credit for the good they do. why don't you explain what the cops should do to clean up the conoco. In case you haven't noticed, the entire city is dump. You can level the conoco, plant flowers there and pipe in disney music all day and the thugs that used to hang there will be somewhere else raping,robbing,and killing others. By the way....the supects are in custody. the problem is not the conoco, it is the people in moss point. It is physically impossible to make it a clean and safe city given the amount of criminals that live there verses the amount of police employed there. Everytime the police try to do some real proactive work.....BAM.....here come the racial, police brutality complaints. Whats the answer you ask? Move out of moss point and let the thugs have it. its an uphill battle.
UH they could start by patroling more in those areas and enforcing loitering laws
just like any other city would do
tere are places onthe coast believe it or not who will not allow loitering in front of their business
unless they are part of theloitering activity
ummm like in on the drug deals
hot pockets

Boise, ID

#61 Nov 2, 2008
excuse me wrote:
<quoted text>
UH they could start by patroling more in those areas and enforcing loitering laws
just like any other city would do
tere are places onthe coast believe it or not who will not allow loitering in front of their business
unless they are part of theloitering activity
ummm like in on the drug deals
there are no loitering laws or ordinances to my knowledge. I think it would be an excellent idea. the only problem is, guestimate the amount of criminals and trouble makers in moss point. then way that number against the 50-60 or so officers that work there. Even if the entire department worked 24-7, it would not break the surface. the only way for the police to start ending the crime is to double in size. and that would only be a start. It would literally be waging war on the criminals there. The city would never allow for such a drastic increase in manpower though. The only real solution would be to augment it with sherrif's dept. personnel or for them to take it over. I can only speculate however, that since the sherriffs position is elected, he or she would not want the headache of policing moss point.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gautier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Sound Off (Jun '09) 5 hr jadebaby 10
Jackson County Elections August 4th Sat Miller Time 9
Disrespect of American Veterans Jul 30 Artie M 1
News Mississippi Senate confirms several to boards, ... Jul 29 Dynofthirst 6
Jackson CO Justice Court Judge District 4 Jul 29 OS Mother 1996 7
News Truck hits boys getting off bus (May '08) Jul 28 Deb 23
Chevron Job Info (Mar '11) Jul 26 Khaleesi 452
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gautier Mortgages