Should Ocean Springs Alderman have te...

Should Ocean Springs Alderman have term limits?

Created by Concerned OS on Apr 21, 2009

168 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes

No

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Concerned OS

Moss Point, MS

#1 Apr 21, 2009
If there were term limits on the city officials all this complaining would be reduced. We need fresh faces in office. It is the only smart thing to do. No more favors for friends.
Depechemode

Eagle, ID

#2 Apr 21, 2009
Jesus, yes. McDonnell has been an alderman for 16 freaking years and he squats over Ward 2 like a big, fat toad and gets help for all who kiss his ass and gets a vengeance on those who dare to question his authority.

But thanks to the residents of the Villa Maria, we can't get rid of his big, fat ass. Carroll Kovacevich ran against him a while back and he is a good, honest man and he couldn't break thru the Villa crowd.

Help us in Ward 2! He's breaking our balls, man.
sunshine

Eagle, ID

#3 Apr 21, 2009
Jabba the Hutt
Google it

United States

#4 Apr 21, 2009
The Villa Maria, my god. All those votes and they do not own property or pay property taxes. They city uses them like pawns. Whenever there is something that needs to go through here comes the AARP patrol to get it over the top, does the new high school and the bond issue sound familiar.
Friend watcher

Kuna, ID

#5 Apr 21, 2009
Can we say disenfrancise voters? The residents of the Villa and Samaritan house have a right to vote just like any one that lives in an apartment or rents a house. It sounds to me like you can count and there are enough registered voters that vote to elect an alderman. Imagine that. You could always deanex the Villa out of Ocean Springs so that no one can benefit from years of faithfull service to his constituents that live there. The Villa has figured out that they are a political machine coming to take over Ocean Springs politics. Something is going on, every mayoral candidate has been there,some as much as 4 times. Three Ward 2 candidates have been there, and 1 alderman at large candidate has made it there. Retired people vote. I guess that bothers you. Matt will get the overwhelming majority of the Villa's residents and will win again. I think it is because he represents them and listens to their concerns. Isn't that what he is suppose to do?
Google it wrote:
The Villa Maria, my god. All those votes and they do not own property or pay property taxes. They city uses them like pawns. Whenever there is something that needs to go through here comes the AARP patrol to get it over the top, does the new high school and the bond issue sound familiar.
Loaded Dice

Kuna, ID

#6 Apr 21, 2009
Depechemode wrote:
Jesus, yes. McDonnell has been an alderman for 16 freaking years and he squats over Ward 2 like a big, fat toad and gets help for all who kiss his ass and gets a vengeance on those who dare to question his authority.
But thanks to the residents of the Villa Maria, we can't get rid of his big, fat ass. Carroll Kovacevich ran against him a while back and he is a good, honest man and he couldn't break thru the Villa crowd.
Help us in Ward 2! He's breaking our balls, man.
Carroll is a friend of mine and Matt defeated him twice. I have seen Carol and Matt speak to each other on many occaisions. Carol is supporting Matt in this election. I was at his home several weeks ago and he has Matt's sign in his yard. He doesn't put signs in his yard unless he is supporting them. He is supporting Matt, because Matt stands up to people like you and isn't scared to speak his mind. Carroll is kind of like that too. You are clueless. I would break your balls too.
Truthyness

Eagle, ID

#7 Apr 22, 2009
McDonnell only stands up for McDonnell. He does not represent the people in his ward, other than the villa, the condo developers, people who give him money and favors, and anyone who wants to put in a bar.

Don't you think 16 years is enough? You want a king, move to England. This is America and we need representative government, not a fiefdom with McDonnell as the big, fat Duke and all the residents as peasants who don't know what's good for them.

And, Dice? Are you threatening depechemode for speaking out? Are you McDonnell? That sounds just like something he would say and do!
WTF

New Orleans, LA

#8 Apr 22, 2009
Does anyone know the steps voters need to take to impose term limits? I for one would vote for term limits and i bet more than 80% of Ocean Springs would too.
Google it

Ocean Springs, MS

#9 Apr 22, 2009
Friend watcher wrote:
Can we say disenfrancise voters? The residents of the Villa and Samaritan house have a right to vote just like any one that lives in an apartment or rents a house. It sounds to me like you can count and there are enough registered voters that vote to elect an alderman. Imagine that. You could always deanex the Villa out of Ocean Springs so that no one can benefit from years of faithfull service to his constituents that live there. The Villa has figured out that they are a political machine coming to take over Ocean Springs politics. Something is going on, every mayoral candidate has been there,some as much as 4 times. Three Ward 2 candidates have been there, and 1 alderman at large candidate has made it there. Retired people vote. I guess that bothers you. Matt will get the overwhelming majority of the Villa's residents and will win again. I think it is because he represents them and listens to their concerns. Isn't that what he is suppose to do?
<quoted text>
You are correct they do have a right to vote. What the citizens of OS need to do is start voting and maybe that little monopoly at the villa and samaritan house would not have such an impact.
Deanex? Is that an option for the citizens who live east of MLK? Just wondering.
registered voter

Kuna, ID

#10 Apr 22, 2009
It seems that there are a handfull of bluggers that want Matt out of office. The problem is that there are 5 people running. He will garner a certain amount of the vote because he is the incumbent. His supporters, and there are many (look at the signs in voters yards, not empty lots) are not going with Doug or Dr. Lucas. He has the majority of votes in the Villa and will do well in all parts of his ward. What is going to happen if it is Matt vs. Perry Guice or Jeff Glouner? Maybe we should focus on trying to work with him instead of calling him names. He has alot better understanding of the city than some of the other candidates. He upsets me sometimes, but I know he is going to stand tall and work for the ward. Do you really think Doug can beat him? My friends and neighbors have listened to Doug and they think he is a real zero. He is really scary.
sunshine

Eagle, ID

#11 Apr 22, 2009
scary may mean he can shake it up downtown....not settle for business as usual like it has been. Doug may be worth considering in that regard.
Redfish

Eagle, ID

#12 Apr 23, 2009
He's Pizza The Hut. Give him one million spacebucks and he's yours.

Yeah, how do we get term limits on the ballot?

I'd go vote for that if nobody else.
Larry

Boise, ID

#13 Apr 23, 2009
Heard that denehee is receiving disability checks from his former employer because he can no longer work due to permanent back injury. Is this true?
HELP

Moss Point, MS

#14 Apr 23, 2009
Has anyone found out how to make term limits for the alderman. I think it is about time, I dont know how much more i can deal with it.
Google it

Ocean Springs, MS

#15 Apr 23, 2009
There are term limits, it is called "get out and vote". Evryone worried about Matt, to break his strangle hold candidates are going to have to beat the bushes and garner the votes of the people who usually do not participate. He has the villa and samaritan house under wraps so the votes must be found elsewhere in the ward.
sunshine

Eagle, ID

#16 Apr 23, 2009
Hey Larry, Is there a requirement that an alderman can't receive a disability check????
Private Eyes

Kuna, ID

#17 Apr 23, 2009
Larry wrote:
Heard that denehee is receiving disability checks from his former employer because he can no longer work due to permanent back injury. Is this true?
He worked at Dupont in Hancock County. He receives disability for a back injury. He rides around Ocean Springs on a motorcycle (crotch rocket) that requires him to lean forward to drive it. He constantly launches his 21' Pro Sport boat ( a very heavy open fisherman) by himself and cranks it back in when he puts it on the trailer. He also launches a 16' Triton Skiff by himself and travels in open seas to fish. For someone that has used the slogans "honesty and integrity" as a theme for his campaign, it makes you wonder how bad is his back injury? I wonder if Dupont's Workers Comp carrier (Aetna) has been notified of Mr Denehie's miraculous recovery. I bet they might want to investigate his disability claim again. Don't take my word for it, ask people at the harbor that have taken pictures of him launching his boats. I bet someone you know has seen him riding his crotch rocket motorcycle. I wish I could claim disability and run for public office. Honesty and integrity! You must be kidding. Oh by the way, drive by his house on Forest Hill Dr. and you can see 2 motorcycles and his 21' boat in his front yard. I guess that is his yard art. Can someone look into this?
Google it

Ocean Springs, MS

#18 Apr 23, 2009
Jealousy rears it's head. I guess the Private Eye does not have a boat but he wants one.
When you launch a boat you back the trailer into the water and it floats off. When you load it, you back the trailer into the water, and most times you drive the boat onto the trailer. It is not like you are wenching dead weight.

Backs are a funny thing, sometimes they will be fine for weeks or months and then you bend over to tie your shoes and that will tweak it. Who knows what back problems he has...do you?
Private Eyes

Kuna, ID

#19 Apr 23, 2009
Google it wrote:
Jealousy rears it's head. I guess the Private Eye does not have a boat but he wants one.
When you launch a boat you back the trailer into the water and it floats off. When you load it, you back the trailer into the water, and most times you drive the boat onto the trailer. It is not like you are wenching dead weight.
Backs are a funny thing, sometimes they will be fine for weeks or months and then you bend over to tie your shoes and that will tweak it. Who knows what back problems he has...do you?
Maybe he has been cured. It is a miracle! I don't know what back problems he has, but I am beginning to wonder what honesty and integrity problems he has?
Redfish

Eagle, ID

#20 Apr 24, 2009
I launch my boat by myself and I'm not big or strong. I do exactly that; I back my truck up to the ramp with long lines on the boat and float it off, holding a line or two. I tie it to the pier with the lines, park my truck and go back and get the boat.

When I land, I do the reverse: tie the boat up, get the rig, then drive the boat up on the trailer. Thanks to Tommy Brodnax, the ramps at the OS harbor are steep and concrete and I have no trouble doing this. You don't have to be powerful; boats float and have engines.

Think that dude is a Matt supporter. Whoever said they are a nasty bunch was right. Only problem I have is that the ramp is crowded and those boats from the marina next door hover right there and also come at you while you are trying to load.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gautier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Judge targeted for jailing people who can't aff... Jan 21 Locate 9
News Adult sex dating in picayune mississippi (Sep '08) Jan 20 grossmaer37 7
News Blake Edward Anderson Jan 8 blakes sister 3
Tiffany Crockette Jan 1 walmarts 1
Arrested for thanking a cop Dec 31 Baba 4
Ocean Springs Lumber (Jan '07) Dec '17 DownTown Brown 199
Review: Moran's Art Studio (Jan '17) Dec '17 MRW 2

Gautier Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance