Census 2010: Gautier shows most growt...

Census 2010: Gautier shows most growth over past 10 years

There are 1 comment on the The Mississippi Press story from Feb 5, 2011, titled Census 2010: Gautier shows most growth over past 10 years. In it, The Mississippi Press reports that:

Gautier and Ocean Springs gained residents over the last 10 years, while Moss Point and Pascagoula experienced double-digit declines in their populations, according to 2010 Census data released this week.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Mississippi Press.

Sobo

Meridian, ID

#1 Feb 6, 2011
RE: CENSUS FIGURES – GAUTIER SHOWS MOST GROWTH – Article by APRIL M. HAVENS - Dated: Saturday, February 5, 2011

Good Morning,

I found April M. Havens’ article very informative and I was wondering if April M. Havens would fill in a bit more detail concerning the Gautier census figures.

Specifically, I was hoping that April M. Havens could breakdown the 59% Gautier 2010 Census population growth by Gautier WARDS.

With a 59% population growth in Gautier it causes one to question if the City’s Wards have been reviewed for proper representation (City Councilmen allocation) of its citizens.

In April M. Havens’ article it appears Mayor Tommy Fortenberry contradicts himself:

“Gautier saw higher numbers, Mayor Tommy Fortenberry said, due to annexation over the past 10 years....”

Next, the article was shortly followed up with:

“.....”But those annexation areas don’t account for that much growth", he said.”

After reading April M. Havens’ article I raise the question of a fair division of Ward lines and proper representation of the Citizens of Gautier.

I am aware that Ward 5 has already been created for the Hickory Hills area after annexation (2002) and I am also aware this was done way prior to the 2010 census results.

Unfortunately, I have been unable to locate a breakdown of population figures, by ward, in the City of Gautier.

It should be obvious to anyone that with a growth in any city’s population of 59% a question should be raised concerning ward lines and representation.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gautier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
looking for christine dukes daughter of terry d... Jul 10 family 1
high roads head shop ocean springs ms (Dec '16) Jul 7 smokinoceansprings 6
Chevron Job Info (Mar '11) Jun 30 SouthMs 454
News Pascagoula city attorney who raised ethics conc... Jun 25 not much shrimp 1
News Pascagoula shooting early Monday Jun 25 not much shrimp 1
Gautier's "Old Lyons School" late 1930's Jun '17 MSGULFCOASTPASTAN... 1
News Missing teen's mom suspects foul play (Sep '12) Jun '17 Trey 3

Gautier Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gautier Mortgages