Obesity bill has tongues wagging

Feb 3, 2008 | Posted by: The South Mississippi Sun Herald | Full story: The South Mississippi Sun Herald

“HB 282 is the most blatant form of obesity discrimination. This bill completely perpetuates the negative stigma often associated with obesity.”

In the unlikely event that it would pass, House Bill 282 would prohibit restaurants in Mississippi from serving food to people who are obese.

'Anybody with any sense knows it's not going to happen, not going to pass,' said Rep. John Read, R-Gautier, one of the bill's authors. 'Mississippi has been ranked the most obese state in the nation. With all the attention paid to tobacco problems, this was to shed some light on another major problem. This has been at least getting the dialogue going.' Read more

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Infowarrior1984

Spencer, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2008

i like to say that how could you Mr Read want to be the food police the goverment should butt out of the food industry I don't live in mississippi but i say stay out of the lives of the mississppians people would vote you out of office in a heartbeat i hope HR 282 does not pass i hope it fails if i was the govenor of mississippi i would veto it saying its not right to invade peoples personal life if there obease its there fault not the goverments fault so once again Mr Read you should be ashanmed of yourself and drop this bill!!
Melena

Palo Alto, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2008

Is anyone else wondering what lawmakers are doing with their time in office. He admits that the bill is ludicrous and should not be passed. So why on earth did someone spend our TAX DOLLARS on writing the darn thing! Don't they have anything better to do that make up phony bills that they know no one with any common sense would pass! Congress has no common sense!
Joe

Chino Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2008

maybe he would like me to trade my eating disorded for alcohol abuse!
thanks john,
see you on the road.
spu

Dallas, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2008

Whatever, dude. People are too fat and at some point, we're going to have to start cracking down, just like we're doing with smoking. I'm tired of seeing all these fat-ass patients who compromise their own health and their own health care. For most people (not all, but most) being obese is a choice and we as a country should not support it. It is costing us all way too much.
mike

Olympia, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2008

seems like a HUGE WASTE of time to me....
RHW

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 5, 2008

That's real smart! You want to impose a law and tell Gov Hailey Barbour, the gov of MS he can't eat out any more. He would have to be crazy to not veto this bill. He is also considered obese, according to this size 2, anorexic society. Next are you going to tell obese people they can't shop at certain stores. Next Walmart will be only for the "skinny". Why don't you just take all the fat people out and shoot them. Sounds like you don't have any more respect for them than that, anyway! After all we would hate for you to have to look at an imperfect human. I may be "fat", but I can go on a diet. Stupid can't be fixed
lay off

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 9, 2008

Lay off Mr Read, he is just trying to come up with a helpful solution to all the over eating in this country. Got a better idea? Maybe ALL us fat asses should stay clear of the restaurants.Quit hammering someone who just wants to help.
GET OVER IT PEOPLE
YOU ARE NOT PERFECT EITHER< ALTHOUGH YOU MIGHT THINK SO
RHW wrote:
That's real smart! You want to impose a law and tell Gov Hailey Barbour, the gov of MS he can't eat out any more. He would have to be crazy to not veto this bill. He is also considered obese, according to this size 2, anorexic society. Next are you going to tell obese people they can't shop at certain stores. Next Walmart will be only for the "skinny". Why don't you just take all the fat people out and shoot them. Sounds like you don't have any more respect for them than that, anyway! After all we would hate for you to have to look at an imperfect human. I may be "fat", but I can go on a diet. Stupid can't be fixed

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 7 of7
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Gautier Discussions

Search the Gautier Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
MS Mississippi judge jails attorney for not reciti... (Oct '10) 5 hr SNOOPY90 1,933
Ocean Springs' Scott Walker to plead guilty to ... 9 hr Walker Watch 3
Scott walker 13 hr Metooo 1
Connections: Neighbors, relatives and politicia... (Dec '12) 18 hr QueenCobra1699 91
A Special Message to Bill Walker (Sep '13) 21 hr Walker Watch 259
BJ's Cafe: The biscuits are calling you (Mar '11) Apr 18 Jimmys Girl 33
Liability issues force owner to close off publi... Apr 17 gulf 10
•••
•••
•••
Gautier Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Gautier Jobs

•••