Connections: Neighbors, relatives and politicians land DMR jobs in South Mississippi

Dec 23, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Sunherald.com

The Department of Marine Resources has given jobs to Executive Director Bill Walker's neighbors, his daughter-in-law, local politicians and relatives of other employees, state records show.

Comments
21 - 40 of 97 Comments Last updated Apr 25, 2014
ossomom

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

Heard the boats were built by Matthew Caldwell. Can't swear to the veracity of my source.
Land Scam

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

I am curious who controls the skimmers now.What a waste of money.Sort of like the fabric fence installed along the Ocean Springs Front Beach that Scott Walker is supposed to have participated in.Guess which agency approved this contract.What do you think he made with a few phone calls? I heard $400,000.
watchful eye

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

http://www.oceansprings-ms.gov/index.php...

Notice Item 6A
"Authorize Mayor to execute Change Order #1 in the amount of $3,813.12 and Accept Final Completion for Gill Contractors, LLC on the Armory Roof Project funded by the MSBPDHBG Oil Spill Grant through DMR"

Did not realize a contractor that specialized in road work also specialized in roof work.

and
from the consent agenda
"Motion was made by Alderman Cody, seconded by Alderman Dalgo and unanimously carried to authorize payments to Joe Gill Consulting, LLC totaling $7,162.50 for lobbying services and fees.(Exhibit 4-c")

About Joe Gill Consulting LLC

Environmental Consulting - Fisheries Management - Governmental Relations

Chief of The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources Wetlands Permitting Division 1973 to 1988
Deputy Director of The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources 1988 to 1994
Executive Director of the Mississippi Department of Marine Resources 1994 to 1995 (Retired 1995)
Lobbyist for The Mississippi Department of Marine Resources from 1975 to 1995
Responsible for passage of Environmental and Fisheries regulations
Represent Federal, State, County and Municipal governments in the Mississippi Legislature 1995 to Present

Sure is a lot of DMR/OS funds going to the Gill Family and this is just one of the instances.
ossomom

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

Well well well

Good digging, watchful eye! You need to be SURE to go through Sun Herald website and email all 3 reporters investigating the case. Seriously.

You should also go to www.slabbed.org and email Doug.
Amazed At Foolishness

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

ossomom wrote:
Heard the boats were built by Matthew Caldwell. Can't swear to the veracity of my source.
NO ! He bought those boats and shipped them in from Utah to work on the spill ! I'm talking about the skimmer boats the were built at the request of Barbour for the state. No relation what so ever !
ossomom

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

WHO is in the Armory? Is it still David Harris' "charity" YADA?

YADA that only "gave" to the DMR fund?
ossomom

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

Amazed At Foolishness wrote:
<quoted text>NO ! He bought those boats and shipped them in from Utah to work on the spill ! I'm talking about the skimmer boats the were built at the request of Barbour for the state. No relation what so ever !
Well that's why I put in a disclaimer.
Amazed At Foolishness

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

ossomom wrote:
Very important not to mess this up ! In my original post Im referring to state owned boats not individuals or even companies ! The Question Was : What happened to the "STATE" boats ?
ossomom

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

ossomom

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

I have no idea what happened to them, I have asked around, no one knows. There has to be hull registrations or something, right? Is there an agency that keeps track of registered boats? I know USCG does the big boats, not sure what size the skimmers were.

Good luck finding that info out.
Amazed At Foolishness

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

The building of the boats is one thing but after hearing about the two pleasure boats with all the maintenance and insurance I thought wow what a bananza that would be for 15 boats.Somebody is taking care of them !Who decides who does and how much ?
Boatmantoo

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

The skimmers were turned over to MsDEQ after delivery and were placed in various location/harbors along the coast.I think 3 or 4 currently dock just west of the Isle of Capri.A lot of money for something that was never used.Com pany in Gulfport rushed them and made big a ton of money.The boats owned by Applewhite were working for the main oil spill clean-up contractor.I have a nephew that worked several months running one of the boats.He worked long hours but made good money.Somebody from Louisiana somehow pulled some strings thru a hired political gun and got their boats hired while Applewhite's boat got laid off along with all the local people who work on them.Another casualty of bad decisions by somebody that did additional harm to our local economy.
Amazed At Foolishness

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

Boatmantoo wrote:
The skimmers were turned over to MsDEQ after delivery and were placed in various location/harbors along the coast.I think 3 or 4 currently dock just west of the Isle of Capri.A lot of money for something that was never used.Com pany in Gulfport rushed them and made big a ton of money.The boats owned by Applewhite were working for the main oil spill clean-up contractor.I have a nephew that worked several months running one of the boats.He worked long hours but made good money.Somebody from Louisiana somehow pulled some strings thru a hired political gun and got their boats hired while Applewhite's boat got laid off along with all the local people who work on them.Another casualty of bad decisions by somebody that did additional harm to our local economy.
His and everyone's other boats that worked has nothing to do with the subject raised !! It's about the state boats ! This is about state own boats .
Boatmantoo

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 28, 2012

Judged:

Calm down Amazed. All of the boats should be looked into. We all know the skimmers were nothing more than pontoon boats on steriods for a gold plated price from a political ally of the Gov. Also what happened to the Marine Architect Overing Yatchs who was located in Ocean Springs.He designed and contracted withMs.to build 10. A Louisiana company was building them. He disappeared one night and no boat was ever delivered.How much was wasted on the 10 boats he was building for the State of Ms.? Trinity in Gulfport was contracted with to build 15.All sitting somewhere.Investigative minds want to know where.
Stanley

Bay Saint Louis, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 12, 2013

This has been going on for so long that it is like a multi-tenacled monster....it reaches every place imaginable and uses any means to misappropriate and extort Taxpayers' dollars. Every Taxpayer in the U. S. should be disgusted and demand justice. Not only was our Coastal residents robbed of funds to help them to recover from a devastating storm, but a double slap in the face is that it is our own money that we paid through taxes!!!! How low down can you be. And they are hollering about welfare??? What about the Corporate welfare system? I am sure there is much more money stolen that way. Anyone who has participated in this conspiracy (and yes, it is a conspiracy), needs to be afraid....be very afraid....we WILL find out the truth! It's time to get what the ones who voted you in want....the people want answers, accountability and justice!!! And we will not be satisfied until every stinking one of you ingrates are punished and our Taxdollars are extracted from you.
answers please

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 13, 2013

Amen Stanley.I second that emotion.What we have here is a large theft ring that has taken from every citizen of our state.They must be investigated and punished for any illegal activities.They all better get good legal representation which I feel sure can be paid from Bill Walker's private foundation because it benifits the...? Oh they will come up with something.
gettheFACTS

Hattiesburg, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

ossomom wrote:
I think Denyer's job as a principal at OSMS was a gift from his neighbor Mrs Bill Walker, OS school board president. I always thought he was totally unqualified for the job. There were great, experienced, highly degreed candidates that year, and HE got the job.
McKay, I am disgusted with you! You will never againn get my vote. Never.
What about Walker holding Danny Pitalo financially hostage after Katrina and not allowing him to rebuild Gorenflos? Yeah, a parking garage is sooo much better.
Greg Denyer was principal LONG before Mrs. Walker was ever on the school board. He taught and coached at the High school for years, then advanced to Asst Principal of the Junior High, before becoming the Principal. If he is SO unqualified,then how did he get chosen Principal of the year for State of Mississippi one year, and why was he recognized by Fulbright Memorial Scholar foundation another year? He is also, by the way, experienced in carpentry and construction. Before he was in Administration he worked every summer doing construction/carpentry work, he had to quit when he began working year-round for his administration positions. When he retired he worked for other companies/people remodeling/rebuilding. Also, before everyone opens their mouth about how unqualified others are and portrays the contract workers/friends/family as having "kush" jobs where they don't do anything and get paid for it....MAYBE you people should actually see what these workers have accomplished. I'll bet those of you running your mouth probably couldnt have gotten 1/2 as far as they have. PEOPLE GROW UP! Before you go spouting off at mouth, gather your FACTS instead of reading other peoples OPINIONS and stating them as facts, and maybe even dig deeper and actually see what is involved and has been accomplished by these folks!
FYI- Sunherald MISSTATED alot of facts about the workers/positions/salaries so dont believe everything you read.
gettheFACTS

Hattiesburg, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

Unemployed wrote:
Help me understand how this works. Ocean Springs Alderman,Greg Denyer works only a couple of days a week and makes almost $40,000 per year. His daughter only makes $15,000 per year. I wonder if she only works a couple of days a month?
Im in school Full-time. I'm hourly so i dont know what i make per year. It varies depending on school schedule
Run Off

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

gettheFACTS wrote:
<quoted text>
Im in school Full-time. I'm hourly so i dont know what i make per year. It varies depending on school schedule
It must be nice to live off of the Walker tit. Your daddy has been doing it for a long time. I hope he is not going to jail with all his "dear friends" He won't do well in jail.
gargomel

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 14, 2013

Judged:

gettheFACTS wrote:
<quoted text>
What? No W-2 every January? Bull.

You have GOT to be smart enough to realize there is some unfair nepotism going on here?? Most jobs at DMR, except maybe actual degreed marine personnel, are ALL Walkers/Shumate family/friends?!? One *probably* got that P/T job by being a neighbor, as did one's mom and dad.

Were the jobs ever advertised to the public, like on USA GOV jobs website or similar.Open to all to apply, and one's experience got them the job? ha ha ha ha ha ha

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
Gautier Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Gautier Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Gautier People Search