Connections: Neighbors, relatives and politicians land DMR jobs in South Mississippi

Dec 23, 2012 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Sunherald.com

The Department of Marine Resources has given jobs to Executive Director Bill Walker's neighbors, his daughter-in-law, local politicians and relatives of other employees, state records show.

Comments
1 - 20 of 97 Comments Last updated Apr 25, 2014
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
Unemployed

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Help me understand how this works. Ocean Springs Alderman,Greg Denyer works only a couple of days a week and makes almost $40,000 per year. His daughter only makes $15,000 per year. I wonder if she only works a couple of days a month?
OS Resident

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Unemployed wrote:
Help me understand how this works. Ocean Springs Alderman,Greg Denyer works only a couple of days a week and makes almost $40,000 per year. His daughter only makes $15,000 per year. I wonder if she only works a couple of days a month?
Maybe they carpool together to conserve fuel and save our natural resources. What a sham.

Since: Dec 12

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

The director and the commissioners should all step down and the new guard shouldn't be able to sneeze without an advertised bid and all jobs posted for everybody to have a chance to apply
Shame Shame

Pascagoula, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Did'nt you read, they are all dear old life long friends. Greg Denyer was a school teacher and principal at the middle scool. Nobody new he was a carpenter and possessed all the knowledge needed to supervise the jos.

And how gullible does Supervior McKay think we are that he states he did not know who was paying for his grandsons birthday trip. Maybe now that my tax dollars paid for his grandsons birthday bash he will get my kids something for their birthday
Ward 4 Voter

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Judged:

I have attended OS Aldermen meetings and have noticed how Greg Denyer passes himself off as some kind of expert on just about every subject that he speaks about. I am now convinced that he is an expert on how to get on the government tit and milk the system. Way to go Mr. Denyer, The people of Ocean Springs are proud of you. I don't fish, but I know how fish smell.
THIS IS GARBAGE

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Time for the PINE HILLS GANG to confess to any wrong doing that they are involved in. This situation is picking up speed an is going to get out of control very soon.Denyer is a person that is caught up in a big mess and needs to walk away asap.McKays campaign for Mayor of OS is over before it started.He knew better and did it anyway.How ironic Scott Walker is going to keep him from that Office again.And with all the bad blood between them after the last OS Mayors primary I am shocked they are hanging out in the Gulf together.They are living proof politics makes for strange bedfellowsIf you are involved in any DMR wrong doing you better cut your deal now because this house of cards is just before crashing down.
ossomom

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

I think Denyer's job as a principal at OSMS was a gift from his neighbor Mrs Bill Walker, OS school board president. I always thought he was totally unqualified for the job. There were great, experienced, highly degreed candidates that year, and HE got the job.

McKay, I am disgusted with you! You will never againn get my vote. Never.

What about Walker holding Danny Pitalo financially hostage after Katrina and not allowing him to rebuild Gorenflos? Yeah, a parking garage is sooo much better.
ossomom

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Oh yeah, her term at OSSD expires next year, but unlike Jaxco school district, we citizens cannot vote on our school board members. Ours are appointed.

GET THE ROTTEN APPLES OUT!

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

Does any of you know about marsh grass planting ? Who is doing it and why is it not advertised ? How many of these type projects are going on under the radar ? Every dollar walker has touched needs to be investigated ! Are kick backs in cash or services in kind ? Who mowes his lawn ? Who works on his and his families houses ? What was his relationship with all the BP services after the spill ? What commissioners and their families also benefited ? Who of all these were using his son Scott as a consultant ?
Shame Same

Pascagoula, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 23, 2012

I am so sick and tired of hearing people in political office tooting their horns about how they got into politics to make a difference...a desire for public service. What BS, not a one goes into to it that does not come out better off. They are there for their own personal gain!!!
OS Resident

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2012

I hope the investigation looks at how many city contracts were issued to companies that baby Walker was "consulting". I believe there are several. How do you think Greg Denyer voted on those contracts?
THIS IS GARBAGE

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2012

I do not think he is involved in the City of OS because of the hate he and Moran have for each other.It is known thru out the local business community if you want quick access to Bill Walker at DMR call Scott and he will arrange it for a consulting fee.All contracts that flow thru this agency must be look at.It appears most are no bid and are being given to out of state people.The current site of out state contactors operating illegally in a residential area in St.Martin of of Racetrack Rd.and Gulfstream Rd.should be investigated.They are hauling materials in 18 wheelers then loading on to boats to be hauled where?All behind political cover provided by someone.Who is it? Scott WAlker?
OS Resident

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2012

Several engineering projects have been spearheaded by Greg Denyer. Firms selected are represented by baby Walker. It is the dear old friend connection of Walker/Denyer. Check it out.
THIS IS GARBAGE

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 24, 2012

Then this would be worthy of looking into.I think Denyer is pretty straight but Scott Walker is a corrupting person.In the end when all are accussed and the facts are known I feel you will find Scott in the middle of most of the illegal wrong doing.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Is Scott walker part owner of a newks restaurant ? Who are the partners ? How did this group get together? What have these partners done together before ? Have they done any marine type projects ?theres a lot of dots to connect .
OSSMOM

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

On the other hand, a little more than an acre at the end of Hanover Drive in the Windsor Porte subdivision of St. Martin that was listed on the county tax rolls at a value of $183,400, according to the report, was appraised for $1.26 million.

The DMR appraisal was 587 percent higher than what the Jackson County Tax Assessor says it's worth.
Who wned this property??
Anyone here know?

The DMR used a $1.29 million CIAP grant to purchase the land.

The property had been a home site, but the structure was lost to Katrina. A developer bought it, bulkheaded it, back filled it several feet high, subdivided it and paved a portion. But the lots did not sell, neighbors said.

Read more here: http://www.sunherald.com/2012/12/15/4282566/f...
Land Scam

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 26, 2012

Yes, your $ figures are correct.The property sold after Katrina to a marine contractor.This owner installed bulkhead and hauled in dirt without a permit and was shutdown.Property was than bought/taken over by KD Development LLC From Louisiana.This company is a General Contractor and shows on their website to have constructed the Biloxi Yatch Club.They completed the project after somehow resolving the permit violations thru DMR.They never recorded a plat to subdivide the property.This needed to be done to ever sell an individual lot.They then sold the improved property to DMR.In my opinion the elavation of 5' above sea level is the reason it was unsellable to anyone but DMR.There is no public need/benifit or conservation value to this property so you tell me why did DMR buy it?
Ward 4 Voter

Ocean Springs, MS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

One only needs to look at all companies represented by Walker's conulting firm to start connecting the dots. Politicians in Ocean Springs, D'Iberville and other cities on the coast are paving the way for sweet heart deals to continue to happen. It is right in front of you if you just start looking. Greg Denyer, Ocean Springs Alderman,along with his daughter,and Rusty Quave, D'Iberville's Mayor are on Billy Walker's payroll, while they help his son Scott get contracts for the companies that he represents. Some call that politics. Others refer to it as being a "dear family friend" I call it influence peddling from both sides of the fence. Who will stand up and say enough? I along with other voters in Ocean Springs will once the truth comes out. We are figuring it out quickly.

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

Who helped spend the $20 mil from BP/Barbour .Where are the skimmer boats we didn't need that were built for about triple the price . Aprox 15 boats at about $400,000 ea.. Who built them and what other connections do they have to the walkers ?Where are these boats?. Who is in possession of them ? Are we paying on going fees and maintenance ? Have they disappeared ?
watchful eye

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 27, 2012

Judged:

^there were the crew/clean up boats owned by roger applewhite. They were stored and service out of the Boat shed at the harbor. Applewhite is a former owner of Delta Sanitation and relative of Phil Bryant

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Gautier Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Lori Cater for Mayor? 50 min To tell the truth 6
New harbormaster for Ocean Springs? 8 hr One who knows 16
Justice Department: Ocean Springs violated ADA ... Thu Darth Tater 11
federal charges against tina shumate dropped Thu Darth Tater 3
Ocean Springs to award contract to repair Front... Thu Dearth Tater 3
Ocean Springs aldermen agree to keep Freedom Fi... Wed Watchful Eye 4
Dog, team gone? (Sep '06) Aug 18 Petal Power 707

Search the Gautier Forum:
•••
•••