Holiday Inn Sunspree murders information

Posted in the Gatlinburg Forum

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Curious

Saint Louis, MO

#1 Oct 6, 2009
I'm sure you guys have all heard the local lore regarding this hotel...the murder of 2 girls in the late 70's, the boyscout murder legend, the haunted kitchen etc.

While it is an interesting story, I have never seen any verifiable evidence that any of the "murders" ever took place there.

I am seeking information from locals that have firthand knowledge and experiences...is it all bunk or is there any substance to this supposed haunted hotel?
Ahem

Saint Louis, MO

#2 Oct 8, 2009
Anyone?
Curious

Saint Louis, MO

#4 Oct 14, 2009
Trying again here...Someone has to know something.
Shelly

Fleetwood, NC

#5 Oct 14, 2009
Curious wrote:
Trying again here...Someone has to know something.
There was a murder back in the 80's at a motel in Gatlinburg. It wasn't the Holiday Inn, though. It was profiled on City Confidential. Go to Google and put in Gatlinburg TN murder and you should be able to find the details of the murder. Two hotel employees were killed.
Curious

Saint Louis, MO

#6 Oct 14, 2009
Thanks Shelly.

I saw that City confidential episode as well.
Kasper Hauser

Sterling, VA

#8 Dec 26, 2009
I am a Gatlinburg native and these murders took place in late summer 1980. Two teenage girls (16 I beleive) were staying by themselves at a Holiday Inn and met a 25-year old bouncer at a local bar. He ended up at the hotel with them and strangled one in the room and one in the stairwell. I remember this incident very well. Drugs were involved.

The City Confidential story is abouta different pair of murders that happened at the Rockytop Inn a few blocks away a few years later.
Kasper Hauser

Sterling, VA

#9 Dec 26, 2009
Just a couple of additional facts. The murders happened on 29 July 1980. The girls were 16 and 17 and were from Crestwood, KY. The killer was named Allan Wayne Hughes and will next be up for parole in 2011.
well hell

Morristown, TN

#10 Dec 27, 2009
so what about the boy scout story? is it true or crap?
justice

Los Angeles, CA

#11 Dec 27, 2009
Kasper Hauser wrote:
Just a couple of additional facts. The murders happened on 29 July 1980. The girls were 16 and 17 and were from Crestwood, KY. The killer was named Allan Wayne Hughes and will next be up for parole in 2011.
So much for justice if he is released.
Gatlinburger

Riceville, TN

#12 Jan 6, 2010
I am a lifelong Gatlinburg resident. The boyscout murders story is basically bunk. What happened was that a boy scout died in an accident in the National Park. The scouts and their leader/chaperone were staying at the Holiday Inn. The leader was guilt-ridden and committed suicide, although I don't think he killed himself at the Holiday Inn. I think it was later, after he returned home.

As "Kaspar Hauser" has stated in a response, the murder of two girls by Allen Wayne Hughes at the Holiday Inn in July 1980 is true. I, too, remember when it happened, and I knew Hughes' brother.

As for the "haunted kitchen," I've never heard anything reliable about it being true.
ray

United States

#14 Nov 28, 2010
i knew the parents of the man that was killed at rocky top.his mom said her son was trying to protect the young girl .
Friend of Jenny

United States

#15 Dec 30, 2010
Shelly wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a murder back in the 80's at a motel in Gatlinburg. It wasn't the Holiday Inn, though. It was profiled on City Confidential. Go to Google and put in Gatlinburg TN murder and you should be able to find the details of the murder. Two hotel employees were killed.
I was a friend of Jenny Stevens one of the two girls that were murdered at the hotel. Jenny and Tanya Roberts were from Crestwood, Kentucky and on thier way home from visiting Tanyas grandmother when they stopped for the night in Gatlinburg, TN. That night a bouncer from a local night club followed them to thier room where he first killed Jenny. Tanya ran down the hall beating on doors screaming for help when he caught up with her. Killing her and leaving her body in the stairwell.
My husband and his family were friends with Tanya and her family, we are all from the Crestwood, Ky. area and I can tell you for a fact that these girls were NOT hotel employees. City Confidential needs to get thier facts straight before reporting.
Ummm

Harlan, KY

#16 Dec 30, 2010
Friend of Jenny wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a friend of Jenny Stevens one of the two girls that were murdered at the hotel. Jenny and Tanya Roberts were from Crestwood, Kentucky and on thier way home from visiting Tanyas grandmother when they stopped for the night in Gatlinburg, TN. That night a bouncer from a local night club followed them to thier room where he first killed Jenny. Tanya ran down the hall
, we are all from the Crestwood, Ky. area and I can tell you for a fact that these girls were NOT hotel employees. City Confidential needs to get thier facts straight before reporting.
Actually City Confidential was referring to the employees at Rocky Top Inn, where the employees were murdered. Your friends' murders were a different story. Both are tragic though.

Since: Aug 08

Location hidden

#17 Dec 30, 2010
Ummm wrote:
<quoted text>Actually City Confidential was referring to the employees at Rocky Top Inn, where the employees were murdered. Your friends' murders were a different story. Both are tragic though.
where is Rocky Top Inn?
mike p

Frankfort, KY

#18 Feb 17, 2011
Jenny and Tanya would have graduated with me if they had lived. Tanya was my partner in biology class and I would eat lunch with Jenny. I can still remember her singing "You light up my life" at the lunch table. That was a big hit back then. Don't ask me why I remember that, just one of those moments in time that you remember. All these years later and I still can't believe this happened to them. I still think about them to this day.
Laura

Durant, MS

#19 May 17, 2011
Tried to track down a TN inmate locator to find Allen Wayne Hughes...anyone know what prison he is in?
A FRIEND

Louisville, KY

#20 Jun 7, 2011
Laura wrote:
Tried to track down a TN inmate locator to find Allen Wayne Hughes...anyone know what prison he is in?
He is in a state prison in Knoxville, Tn.
So many versions of the story...I've seen the police report. Refused to view the photos.
What ever version you hear........it's all still tragic and it doesn't change the fact that I still think about it every day of my life.
Heart Sick

Jeffersonville, IN

#21 Jun 21, 2011
Allen Wayne Hughes will meet the Parole Board for the 3rd Time on August 15, 2011 @ Riverbend Maximum Security Prison in Nashville Tennessee.
My heart goes out to the victims ( Jennifer Stephens and Tanya Roberts) families. Both girls still have parents and siblings surviving them. I hear that there are many mighty upset folks about this scumbag. My prayers are with you all.
wild crew of 82

Lexington, KY

#22 Jun 27, 2011
I wish people had the correct facts on here before they post stuff.Both girls were from Oldham County ky and were to have started their senior year the next month. They never got that chance thanks to Allan Wayne Hughs! He is coming up for parole in Aug.2011 I hopr they deny his parole just as he denied the two girls their lives!!Not a day has gone by that I havent thought of both of them.Every now and then I hear someone tell their kid about what happened and why they wont be allowed to go on spring break or whatever by themselves,once told the story the kids understand how easy it could happen to them.
I wonder how far people will go to make money...offering ghost tours and making money off these young girls deaths is not right in my opinion! May they R.I.P
know more than I want to

La Vergne, TN

#23 Aug 4, 2011
Allen Wayne Hughes is in Nashville at Riverbend Max Security Institution. His TDOC number is 92304. He is in a minimum secured portion of the facility and has an internal job on maintenance. He should be on death row on the 'high side". His parole hearing is 8/15/2011. I hope a busload of people go to it again to protest. He said he is dreading the day. He knows they will protest and he will never get out. I don't understand why he wasn't executed. Those sweet girls were not allowed to live their lives. Why should he?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gatlinburg Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
White women luv black guys 8 min WATCHING LIVONIA 10
Out with the old administration at Leconte 17 hr Hospital worker 3
Sevier County electric system is corrupt and ru... (Feb '11) 21 hr tbrightofdickson 101
News Mudslide in Gatlinburg clogs street Fri Citizen 1
Any farmers need help. 34 year old strong cowboy Thu Frankie 32
looking for female friend for my wife in june Thu WATCHING LIVONIA 5
Gatlinburg Corrupt police officers! (Mar '15) Thu Bobby 7

Gatlinburg Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gatlinburg Mortgages