What is it like to live and work in Gate City

Posted in the Gate City Forum

Comments
1 - 8 of 8 Comments Last updated Jan 10, 2013
No Snow

Constableville, NY

#1 Feb 4, 2011
My family is considering a move to the area, and will be interviewing in the upcoming months. I would appreciate information about the schools (middle & high school), community spirit, employment outlook, anything you can tell me about the area. Also, the weather....how much snow is normal in that area of Virginia? What are summers and winters usually like? The photos of the area I have seen online on gorgeous.

Thank you in advance.
No Snow

Constableville, NY

#2 Feb 6, 2011
I bumped this post because I would really appreciate some information.
local

Kingsport, TN

#3 Feb 6, 2011
Gate City is a small town with a lot of local businesses. Just about everyone knows everyone and I would consider it a fairly safe community depending on which part you live in. GCMS and GCHS are excellent schools, whether anyone else would like to admit it or not. The education is great and there are little to no crimes going on there. The sports are good too. There isn't alot of jobs in the immediate Gate City area but luckily it is within miles of Kingsport, Johnson City, Bristol, etc. so finding a job nearby shouldn't be a problem anyomre than it is anywhere else. It is very country and so are the people. It is a beautiful place to live if you like mountains and that type of thing. The winters aren't too bad. I think the most we have had in my area is about 5-6 inches. It just depends on where you live and it doesn't happen alot. The summers are nice, just like anywhere else, ranging from the 80's and the occasional 90's. Which part specifically are you looking at? I would be able to tell you more. Hope this helps. Best of luck to you and hope you come on down!
No Snow

Constableville, NY

#4 Feb 7, 2011
Local;

Thank you very much for responding to my questions. I had read that the school system was ranked 3rd in the state, which is very impressive. As far as a particular part we are looking at, I'm not sure yet. We will be there next week for interviews, so moving will be pending a job offer, but while down there we will be checking out different neighborhoods, housing, etc. We are from a very rural area in central NY, and want to stay in a rural area. We currently live outide of a "city" of 4000. We want country, but also a sense of community, which is lacking in this area due to an influx of NYC refugees.

We are also very sick and tired of sub-zero temperatures for the better part of the winter, which seems to last 6-9 months of the year. 18-36 inches of snow per snowfall is not unusual. February and March temps are usually 14-20 below, before wind chill. I don't want to give up snow entirely (or rather, the kids don't), but I don't want as much as we get, and I want warmer temperatures. We also want to be in an area of natural beauty, which it seems like Scott County has.

Any specific info about good rural areas to live, rental prices, community life for young teens 13, 14), & pre teen (10) would be helpful
local

Kingsport, TN

#5 Feb 7, 2011
Like I said, Gate City itself doesn't have a whole lot going on in it but it isn't a far drive to get to the nearby city of Kingsport (TN) which offers a little more. The town does have alot of restraunts and shops on the main street that have been there for a long time. The farther you move past Gate City though, the further from the "community" you get. The surrounding areas of Weber City, Hiltons, Yuma, East Carters Valley and a little further out is Ft. Blackmore and Nickelsville. But as far as the things for kids to do, I'm not really sure. It's been a while since I've been there and my son's not there yet.

I haven't seen any 4 bedroom houses for rent but the prices for a 3 bedroom vary. The Gate City area has houses a little cheaper than some of the surrounding areas and I've seen them range anywhere from $400 to $1300, but the higher ones are much much nicer of course. The typical range for an average house is usually no more than $700.

Also, since it is right on the VA/TN line you could consider West Carters Valley. The area is all the same pretty much, doesn't take long to get from one place to another. You may have to get used to the trains though, I don't think there is an anywhere you can be here and not hear one. Good luck to you, and if you have anymore questions I will be happy to answer!
No Snow

Constableville, NY

#6 Feb 7, 2011
Thank you so much, Local. I should be there next week, if everything goes as planned. It does sound like a nice area.
Mad as hell

Lawndale, NC

#7 Jan 10, 2013
If u keep your opinion to yourself and attend services you'll go far question the govrt or you'll b done
Mad as hell

Lawndale, NC

#8 Jan 10, 2013
My reltiive got some triumpt upc harge for having ssingle pill n a container (1) which had a script for at the same time he didn't have knowledge ofthe laws till a court appointed attorney Famer showed us the light and city we had fath in a govrt not clouded religion but set on what is rights just

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gate City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
The more you find about the Kilgores the worse ... 23 min Concerned Conserv... 54
terry kilgore. (Feb '14) 50 min TACO TILLIE 81
Kay is phony 1 hr Rico 1
Looking For A Job 19 hr carl 2
Why the haters will never win Mon Virginia Values 5
walkers Circle (Jan '14) Mon tim 16
Travis collins Sun whocares163i38 2
•••
•••
Gate City Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••