BOS comments on road construction

BOS comments on road construction

Posted in the Gate City Forum

my2cents

Gate City, VA

#1 May 15, 2012
Ok, someone enlighten me because I may be a little slow on the uptake. Kingsport Times News quoted Danny Mann as upset because of the lack of road spending allocated for Scott County. However we elected a BOS that complained about the previous one spending too much money. Then we have a District 9 supervisor who wouldn't spend a dime to keep a bridge from falling down if it happened to be full of orphans. Next we have a governor who has cut spending to levels not seen in 30 years and then suddenly it occurs to us that when you cut spending, YOU CAN'T SPEND ANY MONEY!!!! I feel like the E-Trade baby, "This is my shocked face, Whaaat!
Education

Kingsport, TN

#2 May 15, 2012
Wait until they fund the education request.
Meeting

Johnson City, TN

#3 May 15, 2012
Didn't the BOS have a meeting tonight? Anyone know what transpired??
Dungannon

Gate City, VA

#4 May 15, 2012
Heard they declined ss proposed 3.3 million budget. Smartest thing!
raleigh

Missoula, MT

#5 May 17, 2012
seems this danny mann fellow is trying to hog the mike and also the floor just as if he knows what the heck he is doing. bet this will be his one and only term.... he is just a mean mannered man. he above all needs to treat the people that come before him cordially!!!!
my2cents

Gate City, VA

#6 May 18, 2012
raleigh wrote:
seems this danny mann fellow is trying to hog the mike and also the floor just as if he knows what the heck he is doing. bet this will be his one and only term.... he is just a mean mannered man. he above all needs to treat the people that come before him cordially!!!!
I agree, all they have done is try to reverse progress and claim the county is broke. However they all need new Ipad's because paper is too expensive.
A Good Guess

Kingsport, TN

#7 May 20, 2012
Mann and Jeter must be defeated at the next election.
Funny

Gate City, VA

#8 May 20, 2012
You'll wanted them in , Live with them next 4 years.LOL
oh my lanta

Johnson City, TN

#9 Jul 15, 2012
Danny Mann is one of the best BOS members Scott County has.
my2cents

Gate City, VA

#10 Jul 16, 2012
oh my lanta wrote:
Danny Mann is one of the best BOS members Scott County has.
In 1950when.
on the river

Johnson City, TN

#11 Jul 17, 2012
lol they dont got much then. poor scott they will never have any thing. because the county is run like the state is, if it dont happen in gate city then it dont happen at all. same with the state if its not on the other end then forget it.

for the last several years all they could announce at the meetings was a handful of boat ramps being installed. why dont they try to get something that produces jobs, look around the other counties. they are all announcing new business thats coming in.

but goes back to my earlier comment if its not in gate city then forget it, and guess what they dont even have a level spot in the whole town. so that will never happen for poor ole scott county.
kitchen soup

United States

#12 Jul 20, 2012
on the river wrote:
lol they dont got much then. poor scott they will never have any thing. because the county is run like the state is, if it dont happen in gate city then it dont happen at all. same with the state if its not on the other end then forget it.

for the last several years all they could announce at the meetings was a handful of boat ramps being installed. why dont they try to get something that produces jobs, look around the other counties. they are all announcing new business thats coming in.

but goes back to my earlier comment if its not in gate city then forget it, and guess what they dont even have a level spot in the whole town. so that will never happen for poor ole scott county.
Well now just hang on a minute Ethel lets put the blame where it needs to go. If you want jobs in Scott County you need to get someone in the EDA office to get off the butt and do the job after all it makes big money and its your tax dollars. You notice that said EDA and not IDA. You see when you have someone in that office that does not believe in retail or works to put a hotel in Scott Co. or believes in going after job markets that would have an impact in the county we will always have issues. Can you or anyone else tell me what the last job(s) was that the butt brought to the county and is still open. I mean lets get real the last thing that came to Scott Co. was a plant in Duffield and that was over 10 years ago and from what I hear it is ready to shut down or be shipped somewhere else thats perhaps due to the tax credits are up. It may be said that the butt helped to get a call center in Duffield that maybe true but where is it now and for the love of the mule could you or anyone else please tell me why in the blue blazes the crooked road building in Duffield was ever built when the call center building was and still is setting empty and then after the big grand crooked building was built they decided to waste more money to add on to the thing when the first part of the building was not full. If that's not a waste of money I don't know what is. You see the rivers and many other assets that the county has can not be taken overseas or outsourced to other area. So tourism job dollars and retail is what the butt needs to be working on to bring into the county. Just think if a Wal-mart or any other major retail stores came to Scott County how much sales tax dollars the county would benefit from. Your tax dollars could be lower. The major retail stores may be hard to go after at first but the butt could work to get smaller stores and some of the food chain that would bring in around 25 jobs each. You have to start somewhere. Just look around at what other southwest va counties has going for them. Have you ever been to Grundy just look at what they have and where its located. Look at Wise they have an Applebee's, fashion bug & lowes. Look at the town of St. Paul they have Roses Dept Store and its building up fast. The town of Clintwood has a hotel (yes it's true) just how in the sam mokey crap did they get that. I guess you could say they have a good person in their EDA office earning his keep. Did you know that the EDA has its own board thats right folks its not committe its a board that the butt works for or should I say should be working for. I think that's the craziest thing that the butt answers to EDA board no one else not even the BOS. So if you or anyone else want change in this county demand it. Start by attending the EDA meetings and find out if people are earning their keep. Perhaps its time to send a person packing. Someone really needs to tell the butt and it's board time is long over due for them to shape up or ship out.

As for oh my lanta's comment that Mann was the best of BOS I will agree he is one of them but i would added Horton and Hood. I think the Nickelsville district really screwed up when the Parks guy was not reelected
to the BOS. Parks was by far the best one of the last BOS.
ded ded bid

Gate City, VA

#13 Jul 22, 2012
I agree with you
paper man

Gate City, VA

#14 Aug 3, 2012
Just because you have a crack in your ass it doesn't make you crippled! The only way to get on your feet, is to get off your ass. Be assertive; you have to make it happen.
Din Don

United States

#15 Aug 4, 2012
The county is not broke. Economic development should be a priority in this county, but sadly it is not. We have an amazing opportunity to capitalize on retail development. We have to have retail development in this county to bring tax dollars and jobs. I agree, when was the last time we saw new jobs coming into Scott County. We have seen plenty of cuts and the loss of jobs but no real growth. It is our own fault. To be honest, Scott County has resisted growth in the past, and we will resist growth today. People in this County do not want change, They want to remain a retirement community. Our population has declined in the last 10 years, because the young kids are moving away to find jobs and raise a family. I'm ready to join them. I do not see the current board of supervisors, EDA, IDA, or any other elected official as forward thinking. If real progress is not being made, then we need to throw them out on their butts reelect new people appoint new people to these positions and move forward. Any other corporation would get rid of folks who are deadweight. I've lived here for 40 years and very little has changed. That's sad
Progress

Johnson City, TN

#16 Aug 4, 2012
I have lived in this ounty for 60 years and we have had a Horton on the Board for most of the 60 years. Uncles, fathers and or sons of the same family. What does that say for the county in the way we think? I don't believe that it is progress.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gate City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
doctor 3 hr Sadie 1
Candice Collins?? (Jul '14) 5 hr Dhfhrhrgegr63636 6
Jacob Dingus (Nov '15) 5 hr Leighann Hall 33
POOR Supervision at BVPD 10 hr Revolving door 8
Bristol VA City Counci (Jan '17) 15 hr UH OH 686
sexual assault of eleven yo by two gate city st... (Aug '16) 19 hr Vote Kilgore Out 7
Football 2017 Wed Just Wandering 26

Gate City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gate City Mortgages