Snow

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 26, 2011

Scott County schools will close at 12:30 PM.
Nickelsville VA

Grundy, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 27, 2011

How can an elementary school hire a person that does not know any sign language and label this person an interpreter? Does the Special Education Director of Scott County Schools not know the difference of languages?
Sign Language is not English! If this is a deaf child, then the child would need someone who already knows sign language, not in the process of learning sign language or taking a basic class. A basic class is not a language, you are learning basic vocabulary. So many of us cannot believe this school division does not understand basic information. Rights for Disabilities law celebrated the law of now 20 years. Does that mean our school system is completely behind 20 years of information? Or does it mean the system still continues to not care about children with sensory disabilities? I am going to check to see if I can find more information about exactly which student is being discussed! All children should have an equal education!
for the record

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 2, 2011

Nickelsville VA wrote:
How can an elementary school hire a person that does not know any sign language and label this person an interpreter? Does the Special Education Director of Scott County Schools not know the difference of languages?
Sign Language is not English! If this is a deaf child, then the child would need someone who already knows sign language, not in the process of learning sign language or taking a basic class. A basic class is not a language, you are learning basic vocabulary. So many of us cannot believe this school division does not understand basic information. Rights for Disabilities law celebrated the law of now 20 years. Does that mean our school system is completely behind 20 years of information? Or does it mean the system still continues to not care about children with sensory disabilities? I am going to check to see if I can find more information about exactly which student is being discussed! All children should have an equal education!
. I'm not sure what you are gripping about. Since I am legally deaf myself. I do not sign I can hear sounds with a hearing device. More like vibrations. Just because they can't sign doesn't mean they aren't doing their job. They may be an aide. I had one. You somehow have some sort of hostility toward an employee that cannot sign. On top of that you blame the special ed director who isn't in charge of hiring. That job belongs to the superentendent. In case you haven't noticed we recently got a new superentendent who has only taken office 17 days. My advice would be to bring the issue to his attention. If you wish to blame someone for the hiring blame the former superentendent. Directors cannot even assign where teachers go. They are only in charge of meeting guidelines set by the state. The superentendent makes all the decisions. Judging by your post I also assume you know nothing about being deaf.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 3 of3
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Gate City Discussions

Search the Gate City Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Bristol VA State Troopers I-81 Speed Traps @ Ex... 2 hr Haha 40
Hookers in Tri cities area (Feb '12) 10 hr Got em 9
VA VA Property Tax Exemption for Elderly and Disab... (Oct '10) Sat abe 1,350
The Falls, new tenants to be announced soon. (Apr '13) Sat The Gov 48
Who Offers 3D / 4D ultrasounds in the area Fri Second 3
Yard Sale Saturday 4-19!! Fri Rebecca 1
jr barnes Apr 16 Big Dan da TOE mna 7
•••
•••