Snow

Jonesborough, TN

#1 Jan 26, 2011
Scott County schools will close at 12:30 PM.
Nickelsville VA

Grundy, VA

#2 Jan 27, 2011
How can an elementary school hire a person that does not know any sign language and label this person an interpreter? Does the Special Education Director of Scott County Schools not know the difference of languages?
Sign Language is not English! If this is a deaf child, then the child would need someone who already knows sign language, not in the process of learning sign language or taking a basic class. A basic class is not a language, you are learning basic vocabulary. So many of us cannot believe this school division does not understand basic information. Rights for Disabilities law celebrated the law of now 20 years. Does that mean our school system is completely behind 20 years of information? Or does it mean the system still continues to not care about children with sensory disabilities? I am going to check to see if I can find more information about exactly which student is being discussed! All children should have an equal education!
for the record

Boiling Springs, SC

#3 Feb 2, 2011
Nickelsville VA wrote:
How can an elementary school hire a person that does not know any sign language and label this person an interpreter? Does the Special Education Director of Scott County Schools not know the difference of languages?
Sign Language is not English! If this is a deaf child, then the child would need someone who already knows sign language, not in the process of learning sign language or taking a basic class. A basic class is not a language, you are learning basic vocabulary. So many of us cannot believe this school division does not understand basic information. Rights for Disabilities law celebrated the law of now 20 years. Does that mean our school system is completely behind 20 years of information? Or does it mean the system still continues to not care about children with sensory disabilities? I am going to check to see if I can find more information about exactly which student is being discussed! All children should have an equal education!
. I'm not sure what you are gripping about. Since I am legally deaf myself. I do not sign I can hear sounds with a hearing device. More like vibrations. Just because they can't sign doesn't mean they aren't doing their job. They may be an aide. I had one. You somehow have some sort of hostility toward an employee that cannot sign. On top of that you blame the special ed director who isn't in charge of hiring. That job belongs to the superentendent. In case you haven't noticed we recently got a new superentendent who has only taken office 17 days. My advice would be to bring the issue to his attention. If you wish to blame someone for the hiring blame the former superentendent. Directors cannot even assign where teachers go. They are only in charge of meeting guidelines set by the state. The superentendent makes all the decisions. Judging by your post I also assume you know nothing about being deaf.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gate City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
gchs 2011 6 hr BrassGoggles 4
Gate City Police Department 9 hr The Shadow 14
Let's boycott gatecity till they do something w... Sat Dave 1
Sheriff in 2016? Jan 24 Billy 32
terry kilgore. (Feb '14) Jan 23 No justice in Va 74
Who drives a red s10. with national.guard tags... Jan 21 abc2234 1
Ashley Jan 20 Wazzup 1
Gate City Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web