Check Out Times News on-line for Scot...
bearcat

Johnson City, TN

#22 May 11, 2012
The EEOC approval is a pretty big deal. That means it's more than just he said, she said. They have actual cause. sols is correct, it wouldn't matter if she had an affair or not, although I would wager that the EEOC would be less ready to say she had a case if that could be proven. I am just curious as to why a few people are so quick to spread a terrible rumor without anything to support it. I know I don't speak for everyone, but I thought the WCE community was sad to lose her. She was well-received and did a lot of good work for the school, but when she moved downtown, she suddenly transformed into a "princess" and an adulteress. I'm not sure about today's group of educators in SC, but wasn't she the only EdD in the school system? Why wouldn't you want the most educated person in a leadership position? Typically that is what they are trained for with an EdD.

The reason they needed 2 AS's during Baker's tenure is because he did not have a clue as to how to be a superintendent. He had NO experience that was relatable to running a public schools system. I'm sorry, teaching Law School is not relative experience. It took one person to do the AS's job and another to do the Super's job. I am still at a loss as to why the school board voted him in on that alone. They didn't even advertise the position very well if I recall. The local paper only. Most school systems do a nationwide search for such positions.

Anyway, you don't demote someone for being victimized by the predator that you knowingly hired. Suing Greg won't get her lost wages back or her position back. Frankly, he's pretty worthless to her. The school board was/is and apparently is still heading in the wrong direction.
parent

United States

#23 May 11, 2012
LOL wrote:
Some people are going to eat crow in the end, just because Kingsport Times writes it mean it's true. In the end some people will wish they kept there money in their pocket. People think money can buy everything but I'm afraid they will find out they were wrong. The joke will not be on Scott County but on 1 family in Scott County.
Which one of the former board members are you? This has nothing to do with donations....its the damn EEOC....they are like the IRS...they don't give a crap about an affair....they don't care about elctions....so they got someone to run....the community didn't have to vote him in.....if you don't like it run next time....but be warned....you do something illegal the EEOC will be up your ass with a flashlight....I don't give a damn if they gave a million dollars....as long as whoever is in there does nothing illegal...thee EEOC is filing 3 more lawsuits....on behalf of 3 other employees....you'll read about that tooo....they spent 5 days here....what you didn't see the black vans and the suits with glasses...? Don't worry they are returning....with the Va dept of Ed to take over....you can tell them out you think all this isn't happening and how they will all eat crow...
bearcat

Johnson City, TN

#24 May 11, 2012
LOL wrote:
Some people are going to eat crow in the end, just because Kingsport Times writes it mean it's true. In the end some people will wish they kept there money in their pocket. People think money can buy everything but I'm afraid they will find out they were wrong. The joke will not be on Scott County but on 1 family in Scott County.
Oh, yes, the Smith/Carter family are the Borgias of Scott County, Virginia. Wait you probably don't know who the Borgias were. Notorious Papal (that's a fancy adjective for being associated with the pope) family who were known for corruption and deceit.

Who are you kidding? The Carter's have contributed greatly to and especially for children in the county. They have donated time, invested money and even advocated for youth.

Again, no one is standing on your foot preventing you from making "money". Start investing, invent something, get another degree, start a business and earn money so you can "buy" your own school board.
Jenkinzizbetta

Johnson City, TN

#25 May 12, 2012
Woww ! U all r the bigest bunch a hix I ever seen. U awe 2 sue state of Va 4 leting Scot Co be ccome a city 2 start with.Get reel!
horse shoe

Marshall, NC

#26 May 12, 2012
Jenkinzizbetta wrote:
Woww ! U all r the bigest bunch a hix I ever seen. U awe 2 sue state of Va 4 leting Scot Co be ccome a city 2 start with.Get reel!
Wow Jenkins you just won another national championship. This one bigger than the one before. DUMB ASS NATIONAL CHAMPION.
Put this on the Jenkins board. I'm sure your home town will be so proud of you.
But I think you probably will win more.
June Day

Kingsport, TN

#27 May 12, 2012
bearcat wrote:
Goober, that would be because this is a lawsuit against the school board who wrongfully demoted her for being a victim.
GC Citizen, get a life. Did you witness Dr. J having an affair? Did you see them in action? Did you personally read the emails and texts? Did you hear the phone calls? What an ignorant fool you are! Is your name Greg Baker? Or are you a current fling of his? Everybody who has a brain knows that he's a womanizing, manipulating, predator. Don't be glib.
You assume that she is a victim. Nothing has been proven in a court of law. At this point in time it is only a "he said-she said" deal. Before she becomes a victim or he becomes a victim a court of law must decide were the truth lies. She may be the victim, I don't know but I don't assume anything at htis point.
riddick

United States

#28 May 12, 2012
Its not about the affair...its pointless it not even being discuused. What you don't understand is that the EEOC doesn't care. Victim willing participant its not illegal. The EEOC is going to address what's illegal.....once they get they'll ask the state to take over....it has nothing to do with an affair it has everything to do with the way the former sbo conducted business for the past 20 yrs....its the first domino to fall....they want care about campaign contributioons, gossip, or even affairs proven. They are going to address how the whole mess occured. Why would the board pick a lawyer convicted of soliciting prostitution to be super of schools even go as far as to forge credentials....why have closed sessions and tell the public nothing then tell only what they want us to hear? Why misappropiations of funds? Why demotions without following proper procedures set by the fed and state? They won't give a damn about an affair....they won't care....govt agencies only take action when they have evidence and grounds. Here something none of you know. Before the EEOC left they gave your former board the chance to reverse these issues....the board refused....and told the fed it would be taken under advisement....so your local yocal good olboys told. the feds to shove it.....Federal agencies don't like to be told something....they tell you... you comply or go to court so now the county is going to court and once they get a conviction the va dept of ed will pull scott countys liscense as a school system and will run it directly....now the sbo did share their evidence with the EEOC so they alredy have whatever they claim to have and you all know what? We are still going to court. Like I said they don't care...they won't care...so enjoy the ride...it not like we can't already see the end of this...
concerned citizen

Gate City, VA

#29 May 12, 2012
THE STATE NEEDS TO TAKE OVER AND CLEAN HOUSE STARTING WITH FERGUSON AND MOVE ON DOWN.
funds

United States

#30 May 12, 2012
How much has been spent on the cost to stay at resorts...I mean, conferences this year?
With the county being so short on money, I bet the "all-expenses paid" trip to Greenbriar was fun! What about the DC vacation, I mean, educational workshop with the whole family? Where is the accountability for the expenses of those who obviously take advantage of the system? Who do they answer to?
parent wrote:
This is just the beginning......there a 3 more suits in the works with the previous board....and I also heard the state is looking into misappropiation of funds.... seems cofers were robbed and no one can explain where the money went....After this ends I don't think anyone will want to hold a sbo position...or even wish to be a supervisor...
Misuse

Kingsport, TN

#31 May 13, 2012
Why does the wife of these members always go on these trips that are paid for by the county? All they do is make it a shopping trip that we pay for. How about all those powerwashers, weedeaters and other equipment that was bought by the county and given away or was used for personal use through the voc school? I would hate to think of the total amount of money misused over the past fifteen or twenty years in this school system. Now is the time to check all of this out.
Misuse

Kingsport, TN

#32 May 13, 2012
Here is an example of hiring that takes place without anyone being aware of a job opening. This is from the SCSB minutes on Web., November 3, 2010.

COMMENTS FROM UPCOMING (TRANSITION) SUPERINTENDENT: Mr. Greg
Baker stated that he wanted to publicly recognize and acknowledge Dr. Kellie Johnson
who is present and who has joined the central office staff as of November 1. He
explained that her job assignment is Director of Personnel and Instruction. He stated
that John Ferguson will remain as Assistant Superintendent and explained that he will
take on some new important duties. He commented that he is looking forward to
John’s work in those areas which are very important for the school system. He
explained that next month, when personnel are being presented, Dr. Johnson will
handle it. He reported that Dr. Johnson is here tonight to observe and explained that
she and John will make that transition over the next month. He commented that he
did want to acknowledge Dr. Johnson being here tonight and her move to the central
office and Mr. Ferguson’s continued role as assistant superintendent. He further
commented that he wanted to acknowledge both of them and that he is looking forward
to their wise leadership, counsel and good work.
Get rea

Jonesborough, TN

#33 May 13, 2012
I read topix for the hillbilly comedy it really is. How ironic that every tax payer was screwed by our former board. If you are in doubt look at the sports complex. Some employees were screwed by the insurance program,while others got to enjoy their cigarettes. Hard working teachers did not get a raise while Scott's girls got a raise. Another cigaret please. I guess the old board must be having a wonderful retirement thanks to the kickbacks from the tobacco company.
Ha ha

Jonesborough, TN

#34 May 13, 2012
Speaking of connections. Isn't Kilgore over the tobacco. Do I see a connection.
Make Some Sense

Kingsport, TN

#35 May 14, 2012
I have read all of these post a couple of times and a few thing jump out that doesn't make any legal sense. Someone posted that ".....all she has to say is that she was threatened....its the law folks.....". Just to say something doesn't make it true. If that were the law anyone could say that they felt threating by anyone and that pesron would be guilty. The law more or less says that the burden of proof would be upon the person who felt threating to prove in a court of law. To do that the threating person must file a suit against the person that is accused and a court of law would need to decide if it were true. None of these post say that that has taken place. I don't see the name of any supertident that asked that she be moved and the board could only approve or disapprove of what the super asked. You would think that a super would have been named in the lawsuit. Most of these post are about what has taken place in the past several years that many people think wasn't on the up and up. I wonder if all of this is about having a look into the past by the former leaders of this School Board?
whats going on over there

Knoxville, TN

#36 May 14, 2012
What does not make sense is this board not only elected him as the superintendent, they also continued to let him be the school systems attorney? Is that not a MAJOR conflict of interest? I have never heard of school system that has the Superintendent and school attorney filled by the SAME person, at the same time. Especially after reading in the paper that he had to resign in the SAME county in 2003 as judge due to lies on his application. How was this person ever a consideration to lead the school systems??
GC Citizen

Bristol, TN

#37 May 14, 2012
bearcat wrote:
Goober, that would be because this is a lawsuit against the school board who wrongfully demoted her for being a victim.
GC Citizen, get a life. Did you witness Dr. J having an affair? Did you see them in action? Did you personally read the emails and texts? Did you hear the phone calls? What an ignorant fool you are! Is your name Greg Baker? Or are you a current fling of his? Everybody who has a brain knows that he's a womanizing, manipulating, predator. Don't be glib.
I didn't mention Mr. Baker. I know how he is and I also know how she is. So your the one who needs to get their head out of their @#@ and get a life.
Make Some Sense

Kingsport, TN

#38 May 14, 2012
riddick wrote:
Its not about the affair...its pointless it not even being discuused. What you don't understand is that the EEOC doesn't care. Victim willing participant its not illegal. The EEOC is going to address what's illegal.....once they get they'll ask the state to take over....it has nothing to do with an affair it has everything to do with the way the former sbo conducted business for the past 20 yrs....its the first domino to fall....they want care about campaign contributioons, gossip, or even affairs proven. They are going to address how the whole mess occured. Why would the board pick a lawyer convicted of soliciting prostitution to be super of schools even go as far as to forge credentials....why have closed sessions and tell the public nothing then tell only what they want us to hear? Why misappropiations of funds? Why demotions without following proper procedures set by the fed and state? They won't give a damn about an affair....they won't care....govt agencies only take action when they have evidence and grounds. Here something none of you know. Before the EEOC left they gave your former board the chance to reverse these issues....the board refused....and told the fed it would be taken under advisement....so your local yocal good olboys told. the feds to shove it.....Federal agencies don't like to be told something....they tell you... you comply or go to court so now the county is going to court and once they get a conviction the va dept of ed will pull scott countys liscense as a school system and will run it directly....now the sbo did share their evidence with the EEOC so they alredy have whatever they claim to have and you all know what? We are still going to court. Like I said they don't care...they won't care...so enjoy the ride...it not like we can't already see the end of this...
Are you saying that the SCSB was given a chance to reverse all the things they had done wrong in the past 20 years by saying "Before the EEOC left they gave your former board the chance to reverse these issues....the board refused...."? If the EEOC had found out that all these issues had taken place in the past I don't believe they would give the board the chance to "undo" something that wasn't legal?
A Voice

Blacksburg, VA

#39 May 14, 2012
One thing is for certain, this does not seem to be going away. Lawsuits, he-said, she-said, poor judgment, fiscal irresponsibility,,,,,,,,. This same conversation has been going on in Scott County for nearly a year and a half now. Of all the players involved here, one remains who made all this fiasco possible. He is accountable to the voters and carries the political clout to make the seemingly-impossible possible. I still maintain that ''he'' should be accountable to the good people of Scott County who keep electing him. This issue burned in my craw last fall when ''he'' was on the radio presenting his famous Leadership Awards,,,,,haha,,,,I'm sorry but his style of leadership deserves no awards.
A Voice

Blacksburg, VA

#40 May 14, 2012
whats going on over there wrote:
What does not make sense is this board not only elected him as the superintendent, they also continued to let him be the school systems attorney? Is that not a MAJOR conflict of interest? I have never heard of school system that has the Superintendent and school attorney filled by the SAME person, at the same time. Especially after reading in the paper that he had to resign in the SAME county in 2003 as judge due to lies on his application. How was this person ever a consideration to lead the school systems??
ABUSE OF POLITICAL POWER AT IT'S WORST, that's how. No need to worry about qualifications, he had the right connection in Richmond. That house of cards needs to fall. The perfectly qualified and motivated candidate was probably available, but this deal was done well in advance of the previous Super's retirement. Just read the paper in Dickenson County presently. Same names floating around, same power-players, but I think their little red wagon is toast at home now.
A Voice

Blacksburg, VA

#41 May 14, 2012
Oops, guess I got on some toes there. I'll shut up for now. I have no axes to grind here. I just hate to see people in power exerting their will on others with no regard for what's right. Work hard, have all that life can give you, just stay out of the public school system with your corruption!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gate City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Veterans Admin Bristol Clinic 5 hr Dianna 6
J & P Market employees (Nov '12) 6 hr Whoo 30
Chris Hubbard (Mar '15) 6 hr I dunno 2
bos 2015 (Nov '15) 16 hr In the know 30
Bristol compressors/universal fibers 18 hr Just sayin 10
houseright Jun 23 Satan is a devil 14
corrupt scott county school board Jun 21 CindyTess04 11
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gate City Mortgages