Gaston doctor faces drug charges

Gaston doctor faces drug charges

There are 21 comments on the Charlotte.com story from Dec 6, 2007, titled Gaston doctor faces drug charges. In it, Charlotte.com reports that:

A Bessemer City doctor accused of writing unnecessary prescriptions so the drugs could be sold on the street was arrested Thursday.

Dr. Lee Dennis Barro, 62, of 2000 block of Tryon Courthouse Road, is charged with prescribing a medication without a legitimate medical purpose and attempting to traffic in opium, a news release from the Gastonia Police Department said.

Barro was being held at the Gaston County Jail Thursday on $5 million bond.

The department worked with SBI agents and other area police departments for the past 10 months to investigate complaints from local pharmacies and information about patients selling prescription medications on the street, the release said. Read more

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Charlotte.com.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
sharon long

Albemarle, NC

#1 Dec 19, 2007
this just makes me sick, this is a very concerned and sincere doctor.how is he suppose to know what patients do with their medications.if this is the case you better check out every doctor in the state. i,am a 59 year old women and every time i saw the doctor he was very concerned about me and how i was taking my medicine,and how i had been feeling.
V Icodin

West Monroe, LA

#2 Dec 19, 2007
Dr. Barro was the best doctor in the world. We will miss him very much.
Lucy W

Pineville, NC

#3 Dec 25, 2007
I for one, can not belive you would post under the name Vicodin!!!

Are ya just bein sarcastic are what?

“The South”

Since: May 07

Location hidden

#4 Dec 28, 2007
V Icodin wrote:
Dr. Barro was the best doctor in the world. We will miss him very much.
And all the drug dealers will miss him too.

“Angie F.”

Since: Dec 07

Morris, IL

#5 Dec 29, 2007
Michael Selle wrote:
<quoted text>
And all the drug dealers will miss him too.
See now, isn't this a much better forum for you????
Nancy W

Charlotte, NC

#6 Jan 4, 2008
Having been a patient of Dr Barro's for over 15 years, I have had 5 neck and back surgeries at Carolina Neuroscience and Spine Center. They referred to a pain management clinic. Without health insurance I could no longer afford their almost $500 a month rates. At $75 a visit, Dr Barro has been a life saver for me. I don't sell my medications I have to take them in order to function. I sincerely hope this matter is taken care of quickly because he is the only doctor that I know of that will help people like me who have other doctors that they can no longer afford.
YOU LOOZERZ SUCKZ

Pleasant Hill, NC

#7 Jan 11, 2008
well thats what he get
drug head
THINK::: MAYBE HE PUT SOLD THE DRUGS TO YOU PPL
EDUHH!!!!
callum

AOL

#9 Jan 11, 2008
we sure is going miss our pills. Thats how we made a living selling our prescrips.. We might have to get a real job
a patient

United States

#10 Feb 8, 2008
i just wanted to say i totally agree with nancy of charlotte and its because of people like you callum is why hes in trouble in the first place because you lied and took advantage of a man who was willing to help and take care of you. I hope you end up in jail cause thats where you should be not hinm, so remember karma is a bitch
callum

Matthews, NC

#11 Apr 6, 2008
ohhh did i hit a nerve. I sur miss that energy and euphoria those pills gave me.r there any drs out there i can get my prescrips, i need to pay my sattalite services.
runningonfaith

United States

#12 Apr 19, 2008
I myself am going to miss DR Barro, he was a very good doctor ,very friendly and if he was just writing pills to everyone to sell or take why was I always in his office longer then other doctors who forgot to take your blood pressure and regular routine doctor stuff.when he wrote prescriptions it did not have on the label sell as directed or take all at once,
a patient

United States

#13 May 27, 2008
callum i hope u know that the dea read these forums and im sure they will track you down by compairing your post name with his letters or just by your IP address, so trust us(the true patients) I would not stop looking over my shoulder if i was a crook like you. Then u can post us from a jail cell and then tell us about your bill problems behind bars smart ass
careit

Raleigh, NC

#14 May 27, 2008
a patient wrote:
callum i hope u know that the dea read these forums and im sure they will track you down by compairing your post name with his letters or just by your IP address, so trust us(the true patients) I would not stop looking over my shoulder if i was a crook like you. Then u can post us from a jail cell and then tell us about your bill problems behind bars smart ass
wow, like they are going to take time to read the topix! the man has been under investigation for monthe. they already gave him enough rope to hang himself. he's no different than any other drug dealers that have to go to jail. yeah, he is sad , but only because he got caught! why are you all tore up? mess you up too?
a patient

United States

#15 May 27, 2008
No I dont think so, I fell 30ft off a latter and broke my c-7, t-1 and ruptured my t-5,t-6 and have 4 more bulging 6 centimeters in my lower back and im only 26 so no i got screwed cuz these wanna be thugs lie about whats really wrong with them. But for me its hard 2 afford the pain center and the surgeries. These kids want ever be the next Pablo Escabar so why pittle around with a hand full of pills, Its just stupid. But i only pay 65.00 and receive all the same meds and more for 3 months instead of going every month, but i lost my help with my surgeries cuz my docs in charlotte and thats y im pissed, SO THERE YA GO
careit

Raleigh, NC

#16 May 28, 2008
a patient wrote:
No I dont think so, I fell 30ft off a latter and broke my c-7, t-1 and ruptured my t-5,t-6 and have 4 more bulging 6 centimeters in my lower back and im only 26 so no i got screwed cuz these wanna be thugs lie about whats really wrong with them. But for me its hard 2 afford the pain center and the surgeries. These kids want ever be the next Pablo Escabar so why pittle around with a hand full of pills, Its just stupid. But i only pay 65.00 and receive all the same meds and more for 3 months instead of going every month, but i lost my help with my surgeries cuz my docs in charlotte and thats y im pissed, SO THERE YA GO
if you are hurt that bad, I'm sure you can get medicine from a family doctor.If it's not like that, find you another dr.IT HURT you badly when the quack got busted.
A friend

Rocky Mount, NC

#17 Jun 29, 2008
I do not know Dr. Barro, but I have a friend that lost his drug license and medical license because DEA charged him with making money from drugs. He made life possible by treating pain in such a way no many doctors would. After some five years and thousands of dollars spent on defense attorneys, and DEA's attempts to threaten some of the Doctor's friends and patients to testify against him -- DEA has given up -- so to speak. DEA could not find the wealth of money that this doctor supposedly had. This type of situation has happened to many doctors in the U.S. True, some were guilty of the charges, I'm sure. But most doctors are afraid to treat a patient for their pain because of the treat of being attacked by DEA.
charlieb1950

Charlotte, NC

#18 Jul 4, 2008
DR. Barro TREATED MY FATHER FOR YEARS.I FFOUND HIM TO BE A COMPASIONATE MAN.He treated my father very well.my dad had RH artritis.DR.barro gave him some pain medicine that my dad could not afford.If he did prescibe any drugs for someone who was in constant pain,he did it out of compassion,for the so called pain clinics will only just give you cortisone injections,which did not work.Pain clinics are a damn joke.If a pain medication helps you with your pain,i say give it to you,i do not mean give it to you,prescribe it for you.I was going to a doctor for a couple of years,he would prescibe medicine to me for some bad discs that i have.He would only prescibe the pain medicine just enough for two weeks,so that i had to go back every two weeks to get another refill,Because i am disabled and on medicaid.He was milking medicaid for as much as he could.MY dad was not on medicaid or medicare,but DR. BARRO helped him a hell of alot,most likely DR,BARRO was not really making any real doctor money as he should have.Cudos mr.barro and god bless you. CHARLES BROOKS
Concerned

Gastonia, NC

#19 Jul 7, 2008
careit wrote:
<quoted text>wow, like they are going to take time to read the topix! the man has been under investigation for monthe. they already gave him enough rope to hang himself. he's no different than any other drug dealers that have to go to jail. yeah, he is sad , but only because he got caught! why are you all tore up? mess you up too?
Do you have any dealings with the Bessemer City area or Dr. Barro for that matter?
concerned

Dartmouth, Canada

#20 Jul 15, 2010
As a former patient of Dr. Barro when he lived in Cape Breton, Canada, I can only say good things about him. I didn't have to take pain meds, but as a family physician, I found him to be a very compassionate, caring man. I feel bad that he's in the spot he's in....and I can see from a lot of comments that a lot of people miss his compassion too. If it's true of the charges, well, he's paying big time having lost his physician's license and what will he do when he gets out? I feel bad for his family too. I hope things work out well for him.
Penny Loafers and Prep

Ellenboro, NC

#21 Jul 16, 2010
This is the norm for Gastonia and Bessmer City. Redneck trash!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gastonia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sex in gastonia (Sep '13) 21 hr Meathead 22
Helping Law Enforcement Fri Mbbb 3
Kelly Buseck Wood: died 3 years ago. How did ... Dec 9 Buffalo 1
News NC lottery winner to give away his jackpot. Her... Dec 6 erin 2
IQ average (90) For Law Enforcement (Jul '08) Dec 5 ArnoldZiffel 133
News Lincolnton Chick-Fil-A hearing on city agenda Nov '17 lominnc 5
New book from Eastern Kentucky by STUART ADKINS Nov '17 Ruby 2

Gastonia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance