zblog

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2009

Which is better? The new Cramerton Tavern or Sammys?
Tammy W

Rockingham, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2009

I've been to Sammy's many many times and to the Tavern in Cramerton only once.

The food is about the same quality although I think I like the menu selection at the Tavern a little better than Sammy's.

Sammy's atmosphere is too dark and too loud for me after working all day...I much prefer the quieter atmosphere that I experienced at the Tavern....although it may not always be that way...at least it was the one night I was there.

I will definitely be returning to both establishments as I much prefer the close local restaurants to the chain places in Gastonia.
Chris Ray

Belmont, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 11, 2010

Judged:

Are you peoples
for real? I went to this center place tonight for the 3 and last time cause it was supposed to be the best new place! i would rather lick a frogs ass than the shit i had tonight.

Yall need to learn about your bbq!
GREAT FOOD

Salisbury, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2010

Judged:

go to the city cafe in mt holly and forget both resturants........
My peoples

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 23, 2010

Judged:

So have yall heard what are town drunk/lesbo is doing now??? Turning her river front brothel into a meeting hall!
Cramermtnman

Blackwood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 25, 2010

Judged:

I refuse to patronize her tavern, she is destroying cramerton. She's trying to turn it into a mini Belmont. If I wanted to live in Belmont, I would have moved there. I can't wait to see her fail. Because it's apparent no one at city hall has the balls to stop her.
Freddy

Harrisburg, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 29, 2010

Fish n Chips are much better at Sammys. Sammys uses flounder, don't know what type of fish the Tavern uses. And it is too heavily breaded.
I like

Fayetteville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 5, 2010

I like the Tavern and Kathleen and her staff. I have never had a problem there except choosing my entree bc they are all so good! IF you don't like it, don't come to our town :) I always support small town businesses!
Sandie Ess

Mount Holly, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 16, 2010

I like wrote:
I like the Tavern and Kathleen and her staff. I have never had a problem there except choosing my entree bc they are all so good! IF you don't like it, don't come to our town :) I always support small town businesses!
Food is so much better at Sammy's, but the atmosphere at the Tavern makes it a toss up.
Boy wonder

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 18, 2010

Judged:

good food over atmosphere ANY DAY! That's why the term 'dive' came to be....you don't see shows about really nice places with really bad food do you? Plus the manager at the tavern is an idiot and I and my friends refuse to go back because of her attitude. Sammy's hands down!
Local girl

Belmont, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2011

Judged:

Anyone else notice the slide in service & food here? We used to be regulars when they first opened but recently the service is lousy & the food even worse.
Mayor

Belmont, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 19, 2011

Judged:

Two months ago my family got sick off there BBQ. Haven't been back since.
LOVEBELMONT

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 26, 2011

Judged:

Center Street Tavern is just terrible. the BBQ is really bad...they really should not even sell it! Sammy's is soooo much better and so is H&M Deli! the service at Center Street is also pretty terrible..Sorry but true...I have tried going back many times too becuase it is a pretty place...everytime i think it will be better...but it just isn't unfortunately. Sammy's is consistantly good. H&M also awesome and I love that chocolate cake they sell!
Susan

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2011

My peoples wrote:
So have yall heard what are town drunk/lesbo is doing now??? Turning her river front brothel into a meeting hall!
LOL!!!!
Ex-Regulars

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2012

Until recently, we had not been there since late summer of last year, but the tavern in Cramerton seemed to be on a downward spiral at that time. Sammy's on the other hand has always been a standby for us if only for consistency in food, beverages, and service. I think we all can agree that when you enjoy something, you like to know that you can go back at a later time and have that same exact thing.

Employee turnover is always high in restaurants, but usually not within management. We stopped going after witnessing a few "meltdowns" and realizing that most if not all management quit within a month or so. Turning over servers and cooks is one thing, but managers and chefs tend to stick around for quite a while if it is even remotely worth it, and we have heard that she has lost even more management since then! For a great comparison, look at how long Sammy manages to keep some of his employees, management and otherwise.

Since this topic is a "vs" issue, I have to say my vote is with Sammy's. You can tell the business is run by someone with experience, restauranteur experience that is. Unless, the food has improved at the tavern in Cramerton, Sammy's wins on that one too, again if only for the consistency. They have also created a much better alcohol selection at Sammy's over the past year, especially with all the micro-brews and local stuff. Seems like that went downhill at the tavern after some of those managers left last year.

I wish the best for all local businesses, but with all the great, more professionally run options around town, the tavern needs to step up their game. Not to mention the fact that an easy drive to Charlotte can yield a huge selection of places to eat and drink that will make you forget about your hometown watering hole. It just goes to show that determination and ambition can sometimes be trumped by things like inexperience, ignorance, and lack of appreciation.

Regardless, best of luck to all independently-owned, local businesses.
fyi

Blackwood, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 22, 2012

Tammy W wrote:
I've been to Sammy's many many times and to the Tavern in Cramerton only once.

The food is about the same quality although I think I like the menu selection at the Tavern a little better than Sammy's.

Sammy's atmosphere is too dark and too loud for me after working all day...I much prefer the quieter atmosphere that I experienced at the Tavern....although it may not always be that way...at least it was the one night I was there.

I will definitely be returning to both establishments as I much prefer the close local restaurants to the chain places in Gastonia.
I like sammys over center street! Service is much better and so is the food !
listen here

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 14, 2013

The management at center street is much better now ! and not to mention i heard it was under new ownership by the two managers there. Food has improved greatly and the atmosphere is much better. If you want to have a good time go on tuesdays for trivia, but make sure to reserve a seat it gets really busy in there ! Everybody can stop bad mouthing center street now and maybe go give it another chance
Goat man

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

Oh yea! Who is the new owner?
bigbrother

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 17, 2013

in order for most businesses to be successful, the people that work there HAVE to be good. Being in business (especially in a small town) demands good and polite service. Mediocre product can be overlooked if there is a great person behind the counter. Want to be successful? Make sure the person representing your business is top knotch

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 19 of19
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

5 Users are viewing the Gastonia Forum right now

Search the Gastonia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 3 hr Real Talk 49,323
Marc Holler 5 hr Need Info 1
New town manager hired 19 hr Pops 16
Belmont police offer details on shots fired in ... Tue Me lady 3
Dallas business moving into Carolina Mills buil... Tue citizen 1
Gastonia man charged in armed carjacking Apr 12 What is wrong here 1
Cramerton Middle School (Mar '13) Apr 9 Insider 28
•••

Freeze Warning for Gaston County was issued at April 16 at 10:26PM EDT

•••
•••
•••
•••