Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

Judged:

I am 100% on her side. I have never seen such illiteracy with high school kids these days. So if Ms. Sigmon-Moore, a Gastonia English teacher, holds a few of them up to ridicule on Facebook with jpegs of their schoolwork because of their pathetic English, MORE POWER TO HER!

You go Ms. Shanna! Good for you!

And to the school board punishing her: SHAME ON YOU. SHAME, SHAME, SHAME!
JBN

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

Judged:

She posted photos of her students' work. No matter how bad the grammar was, it was wrong of her to post photos like that.
I commend the school board for taking the proper action.
Three Cheers for Her

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 14, 2012

Judged:

JBN wrote:
She posted photos of her students' work. No matter how bad the grammar was, it was wrong of her to post photos like that.
I commend the school board for taking the proper action.
You're being deceitful. The posting was not public but among several FB peers, one of whom tattled. It was like a group of teachers looking at F-graded student papers.

Does the whole world know what abysmal spelling, punctuation, grammar, and penmanship these kids have nowadays? They ought to.

Do you know the names of the kids who were "humiliated?" Why, of course not.
CCB

Gastonia, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2012

Judged:

I agree with JBN. I commend the school board as well for taking action.
English Major-Northerner

Matthews, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 15, 2012

Judged:

Shanna Moore (sorry, but your name is either Sigmon or Moore, so don't hyphenate it, please; it shows the Malcom X attitude), you certainly have shown yourself to not know how to connect with your students, nor build up a sense of trust within the classroom. You have violated an unwritten rule, which is to keep the educational development between student and instructor.
As a teacher, you don't go blabbing about other students in the teacher's lounge, to other students, and you obviously do not purposely go out of your way to embarrass the pupils. At this point, you will NEVER reach or be able to teach your students, as they have turned you off completely. As an educator, you are there to develop confidence, along with improving the minds of our youth.
Gaston Schools should have done this a long, long time ago with you, as you have probably humiliated hundreds, if not thousands of students, over your teaching career. As an Education Major, a Teacher, an English Major, a Communications Major, and as a parent of an AIG Student in the Duke TIP program, I have the education, experience, and success rate to recognize inferior and inept people who attempt to call themselves teachers.
Shanna Moore, find another profession where you can stay away from children and use your abusive tendencies...such as a guard in a prison. The North Carolina School System let this one slip through the cracks for far too long.
Anyone who believes this is the proper way to motivate or educate students is obviously not college educated, nor a qualified teacher.
High school parent

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2012

Judged:

As a parent of a high school student I appreciate the day to day efforts teachers exhibit. With that said teaching, like any other profession, has a code of conduct that needs to be adhered to. Common sense should also come into play. If this was my child that was being berated on a public social media website (private wall or not) by their teacher I would be furious and would demand the school system take action against the perpetrator. Social media sites are not outlets for teachers (or other professionals for that matter) to get a chuckle out of their on line friends at the expense of the students they have been entrusted with.

Your apology is transparent and artificial. It reads as though you are justifying your blatant mocking of your student by stating it was placed on your private Facebook wall. Had this been your child would it be acceptable if it were a private wall your child was being mocked on? If you were not intending to "...critical or jaded", what was your intention?

I hope the student you were making fun of isn't aware it was their paper you posted photos of on line for your friends to see, laugh at and comment on.
Cry Us a River

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 16, 2012

Judged:

High school parent wrote:
As a parent of a high school student I appreciate the day to day efforts teachers exhibit. With that said teaching, like any other profession, has a code of conduct that needs to be adhered to. Common sense should also come into play. If this was my child that was being berated on a public social media website (private wall or not) by their teacher I would be furious and would demand the school system take action against the perpetrator. Social media sites are not outlets for teachers (or other professionals for that matter) to get a chuckle out of their on line friends at the expense of the students they have been entrusted with.
Your apology is transparent and artificial. It reads as though you are justifying your blatant mocking of your student by stating it was placed on your private Facebook wall. Had this been your child would it be acceptable if it were a private wall your child was being mocked on? If you were not intending to "...critical or jaded", what was your intention?
I hope the student you were making fun of isn't aware it was their paper you posted photos of on line for your friends to see, laugh at and comment on.
Oh, cry us a river! I just read Shanna Moore's very contrite apology in the _Gaston Gazette._ What did you want her to do, flagellate herself?

If any students were embarrassed by their shabby English papers, it was because of the hyperbole of drama queens like you and the lowlife snitch, not because Shanna Moore shared bad schoolwork with a few of her private peers. Obviously the 3 papers scanned were anonymous. It was only because of the snitch and sanctimonious blabberers like you that anonymity was lost, if indeed it was.

By the way, your English is poor. Are you not humiliated that people will see that it looks as though you never got your GED, and that your children will be ashamed of their mommy's lack of literacy?
High school parent

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

Judged:

So you would agree to having your child's teacher who is looking for a laugh from his/her peers post photos of their school work on a social media website? It's quite obvious your morals and values are misplaced and you have no understanding of ethics. Attack me with your small mindedness. It doesn't change the fact she was unprofessional and her actions have further tarnished the reputation of a career path that is already suffering.

One more thing. If you are going to use big words in an attempt to demean someone be certain of their meaning before doing so.

flag·el·late 1.whip somebody: to whip somebody, especially for sexual or religious purposes
Cry Us a River wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, cry us a river! I just read Shanna Moore's very contrite apology in the _Gaston Gazette._ What did you want her to do, flagellate herself?
If any students were embarrassed by their shabby English papers, it was because of the hyperbole of drama queens like you and the lowlife snitch, not because Shanna Moore shared bad schoolwork with a few of her private peers. Obviously the 3 papers scanned were anonymous. It was only because of the snitch and sanctimonious blabberers like you that anonymity was lost, if indeed it was.
By the way, your English is poor. Are you not humiliated that people will see that it looks as though you never got your GED, and that your children will be ashamed of their mommy's lack of literacy?
Three Cheers for Her

Asheville, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

High school parent wrote:
So you would agree to having your child's teacher who is looking for a laugh from his/her peers post photos of their school work on a social media website? It's quite obvious your morals and values are misplaced and you have no understanding of ethics. Attack me with your small mindedness. It doesn't change the fact she was unprofessional and her actions have further tarnished the reputation of a career path that is already suffering.
One more thing. If you are going to use big words in an attempt to demean someone be certain of their meaning before doing so.
flag·el·late 1.whip somebody: to whip somebody, especially for sexual or religious purposes
<quoted text>
Oh, save us from the dumbed down sea monkeys of the world! You keep trying to peddle the fiction that the conversation was public. It was NOT. It was private until some meddlesome rat-fink made it public. Your argument is a strawman (suitable as an example of logical flaws in logic and debate class) because there was no evidence the teacher was trying to elicit laughter. A proper reading of the conversation would lead a rational person who is not tanked up on emotion to conclude that the few people talking were commiserating with each other about the atrocious English of their students.

Ah, and then you sally off into making a sweeping generalization about my ethics. Why didn't you just call me a ho, airhead?

There may have been just two more people in that private conversation, Mommy.

And then you attack the teacher again. After she has already apologized and pleaded to return to her job teaching English, you want to continue holding her up to ridicule.

Poor little child, whoever it was, now over in the corner sobbing and licking its sore paws because it was demeaned on the internet, while you pat the poor little illiterate thing on its back and snarl at its dedicated teacher.

You still want her to flagellate herself, don't you, Ms. Nameless? And now you want me to flagellate myself for defending her. And so you flagellate me with some third-rate online dictionary. Ha ha ha.

By the way, I had great English teachers. They learned me all I know about English. I went on and majored in it, but it's a certainty you didn't. Ha ha ha.
High school parent

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2012

Judged:

It's good to know you had great teeachers. Teachers I'm sure that did not remove your name from your work and pin it to the wallway bulletin board for your classmates to see (I presume the internet was not available during your years of secondary school. Should my presumption be inaccurate I do apologize.).

You have yet to address the question of if it were your child would you still feel she did nothing wrong. You are focusing on the wrong bits of information and you are your responses reflect such.

It's astounding to know there are still people out there that still think the internet is private.

You are trying to make this a match of wits. This situation is about professionalism, privacy, and ethics. In my opinion your concern should also be for the kids she teaches not just her.

It is obvious you are unwilling/unable to see thinks from a different perspective therefore I have nothing further to say to you.
Three Cheers for Her wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh, save us from the dumbed down sea monkeys of the world! You keep trying to peddle the fiction that the conversation was public. It was NOT. It was private until some meddlesome rat-fink made it public. Your argument is a strawman (suitable as an example of logical flaws in logic and debate class) because there was no evidence the teacher was trying to elicit laughter. A proper reading of the conversation would lead a rational person who is not tanked up on emotion to conclude that the few people talking were commiserating with each other about the atrocious English of their students.
Ah, and then you sally off into making a sweeping generalization about my ethics. Why didn't you just call me a ho, airhead?
There may have been just two more people in that private conversation, Mommy.
And then you attack the teacher again. After she has already apologized and pleaded to return to her job teaching English, you want to continue holding her up to ridicule.
Poor little child, whoever it was, now over in the corner sobbing and licking its sore paws because it was demeaned on the internet, while you pat the poor little illiterate thing on its back and snarl at its dedicated teacher.
You still want her to flagellate herself, don't you, Ms. Nameless? And now you want me to flagellate myself for defending her. And so you flagellate me with some third-rate online dictionary. Ha ha ha.
By the way, I had great English teachers. They learned me all I know about English. I went on and majored in it, but it's a certainty you didn't. Ha ha ha.
Concerned Individual

Charlotte, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

Let's hope for the sake of future students she has learned a lesson in privacy and ethics and never does anything like this again.
In the Know

Cibolo, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 4, 2013

From what I understand, this issue is not over. Rumor has it that something is still to be done as soon as this school year ends.

I think someone will be looking for a new job in another school system somewhere.

Other actions are being considered, with firing being the most popular one. Others include a reduction in pay, loss of tenure status, and transfer to a different school in the area.

Ms. Priss and Proper may think she is out of the woods on this one just because they haven't come after her yet, but just wait till this school year ends next month and see what happens.

Wonder if she'll post about her own failure on her Facebook page then? I'm sure there are other people who would like to laugh at her failings just like she made fun of other people. What goes around comes around - Karma is a bi__.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 12 of12
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

8 Users are viewing the Gastonia Forum right now

Search the Gastonia Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
NC Who do you support for U.S. Senate in North Car... (Oct '10) 28 min Red Square 55,678
Scott Goins- EGHS 53 min Champ 1
Belmont poised to extend bike trails at Rocky B... 17 hr JLo 2
is lon eric brooks a danger to the community? (Nov '10) Mon Winston McCall 15
lon eric brooks a very dangerouse and child mo... (Nov '10) Mon Winston McCall 281
Review: Union Drugs Jul 20 jamie deitz 1
ro's bbq slaw recipe (May '09) Jul 17 peavey878 82
•••
•••
•••
•••

Gastonia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Gastonia People Search