Mother charged with neglect after mentally disabled daughter di...

Full story: Myrtle Beach Online

A 45-year-old West Columbia woman was charged with neglect after her mentally disabled daughter died of alcohol poisoning, authorities said Monday.
Comments
1 - 20 of 43 Comments Last updated Jun 25, 2013
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
stacey

Little River, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2006

I have known Jackie for several years. She drove my son's school bus when he was in kindergarten. Kim was a handful, but I always found Jackie to be an attentive and conscientious mother. Kim's death was tragic and may have indirectly resulted from some degree of poor judgement on Jackie's part, but she is already going to have to live with that for the rest of her life. Putting her in jail will not bring Kim back, nor will it make it any easier for Jackie's family to deal with her death. Jackie loved this girl with all her heart and I will never believe that she had any criminal intent in her mind when she went to bed and left that bottle of liquor in the fridge. Jackie has always been good-hearted and taken good care of Kim. She never would have done something to intentionally hurt Kim.
RENA

Swansea, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2006

I AGREE JACKIE IS THE MOST KIND HEARTED PERSON ANYONE COULD MEET SHE WAS THERE FOR KIM WHEN SHE WAS BORN AND UP UNTIL THE DAY SHE PASSED AWAY ITS NOT EASY TO RAISE A NORMAL CHILD BUT TO RAISE A SPECIAL CHILD LIKE JACKIE DID AND THEN HAVE PEOPLE SAY SUCH BAD STUFF IS JUST UN CALLED FOR AND TO THINK THAT HER BOND COULD BE SO HIGH
stacey wrote:
I have known Jackie for several years. She drove my son's school bus when he was in kindergarten. Kim was a handful, but I always found Jackie to be an attentive and conscientious mother. Kim's death was tragic and may have indirectly resulted from some degree of poor judgement on Jackie's part, but she is already going to have to live with that for the rest of her life. Putting her in jail will not bring Kim back, nor will it make it any easier for Jackie's family to deal with her death. Jackie loved this girl with all her heart and I will never believe that she had any criminal intent in her mind when she went to bed and left that bottle of liquor in the fridge. Jackie has always been good-hearted and taken good care of Kim. She never would have done something to intentionally hurt Kim.
MeLissa Hornsby

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2006

This is such a tragic thing that happened.I have five kids and they all know Jackie well.we have been to her house several times swimming and just talking.she drove their bus and looked after my daughter at school when I was having trouble with her.she never left anyone behind.For all who are downing her at this moment you should be ashamed.UNLESS you were there and seen her pour that liquer down Kim's throat forcefully.Which we all know she did not do.Instead of laying blame on Jackie those who do should be rememebering the good times with Kim.Jackie not only lost her daughter but she lost her best friend as well.We are all guilty of leaving things laying around sometimes that maybe children shouldn't have.It's hard to watch over your kids 24 /7.Jackie loved all of her kids but her and Kim spent alot of time together.I lived a few houses down from her before we both moved and i hardly ever seen her truck leave without Kim in it with her.I wasn't in town when all this happened and all i hear is what people are saying but i do know that this treatment Jackie is getting is unjust.People that go out here and put a gun to another person's head and pull the trigger don't get treated like this.Jackie was and still is a good mom and a wonderful person.I trusted her before this with any of my kids and I will continue to do so.....Kim was a wonderful person and will be missed by alot of people....
I believe the courts are trying to use Jackie as an example to anyone who has special needs children,which would be okay IF she wanted this to happen,but anyone who truely knew her knows this is not what she wanted.It's a shame the law won't take this kind of action towards parents that really do abuse their children.I have an ex that tried to run my 14 yr old son over with a car back in april....where is he now?Not in jail..they have 4 warrants on him in the ncic but they aren't trying to find him..People like that need to be in jail...that's the kind of person they should use as an example.Not Jackie.This is not something she set out to do or allow Kim to do.She was an honest,hard working woman that loved everybody.What's wrong with this world today?
they say Kim had the mind of an 8 yr old and I agree but i have to say...I have an 8 yr old and she knows not to drink.I also have to comment on another thing in the paper.Kim has done this in the past and even her father said he had to hide his from her.If she done it in the past then she knew what she was doing.She wasn't made to drink,she WANTED to do so,and that's what she done.

I wish Jackie well in her life and her future because I know it's going to be hard to go through all this but she needs to know people out here support her and believe in her and don't hold her responsible.
Linda of Gaston

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2006

How can you call a person good when she's going with a married man and has been seen at the Skyline Club with him?
sandy

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2006

What does her personal life have to do with that....nothing at all....you jealous?
joann

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 14, 2006

is it your husband she's sleeping with?If not don't worry about it.I guess you all are gonna call her a home wrecker now...hell you can't wreck a home if it's not happy to begin with.....
Linda of Gaston

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2006

Her personal life shows what she's all about. Nobody said whe didn't love her daughter, but you don't sleep with a married man and have your daughter at a dance hall with the boyfriend til 2:00am and be dog drunk yourself. Are there witnesses to this -yes! Who that night, 6/3/06, was looking after her daughter? The boyfriend? Good person - No, Fit mom - No Also, jury will be looking at her personal life.
sandy wrote:
What does her personal life have to do with that....nothing at all....you jealous?
angie from swansea

Gilbert, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2006

well, linda did you know Jackie??? I bet that you did not know her the way that you would like people to think! You are not one to judge another person! I work with her and know her so unless you are family or a friend then I think that you should leave her alone. I went to school with Kim and she was no ordinary downs kid, she was great and she had a mind of her own. It may have been a younger one than everyone else but you would not know that would you. Kim was very independent and had a mind of her own. Yes we WILL miss Kim so much, but her mother is NOT a bad person!! I suppose that you are at home with your kids all of the time and you do nothing at all to let them live a full life. was it your husband? And who said that he was married!? well if not than dont worry about her or what she does in her personal life. Like I said Jackie is a good person and she loved Kim so much and she would never do anything to put her in harms way on purpose. And there may be a jury and there may be a trial but we will all be there for Jackie and back her up, I am sorry that you are the kind of person that passes judgement on a person when she has lost a very special thing in her life. AND YES SHE WAS AND IS A FIT MOM!!!!! And get another hobby other than talking bad about another person in their time of need!!! What would your personal life say about you?
stacey

Little River, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 16, 2006

I'm sorry to see that this has become such a disgraceful personal rant against Jackie. Just goes to show you what people in this area are capable of doing to one another. Can't believe you'd resort to airing the woman's dirty laundry in public while she is already being prosecuted for this sweet child's death. Anyone who ever saw Jackie with Kim knows that she loved that girl with all her heart. She was a very young mother but stepped up to the plate and cared for Kim all her life. As the mother of a special needs child, I can say that it is not always easy. There have been nights when I have gone to bed so bone tired that I wouldn't have heard a dumptruck drive through my own bedroom. I have always tried to do right by my child, though and would walk through fire for him. As for taking Kim out to a nightclub, SO WHAT??? Kim was, after all, a 30 year old woman, despite her having Down's Syndrome. Anyone who has ever met her can tell you how full of herself she always was. She may have been handicapped to some degree, but was a very smart young lady in many ways. I am sure that her family misses her very much. Name-calling and mud-slinging against Jackie will not bring Kim back. It also does not ease this very troubled time for her family. Stay off of this page with your malicious comments. It is not your place to judge Jackie Henderson!
Clara of Columbia

Greensboro, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 1, 2006

MeLissa Your Right! "This is such a Tragic thing that happened"!!! But it is YOU that should be ashamed of yourself! Why? Simply put, Telling Lies!

If you know Jackie so well then you should know how many times she has just walked off and left her family, time and time again! What made this time different?? This oh so loving MOM Left her kids too, Including KIM! You wouldn't think that maybe KIM might cause a little problem with Jackie's new lover?

Let me ask you since you know Jackie so well!, was this the first time she left her family? NO!! Was this the first time she left Kim? NO!!! And anyone whom claims to know Jackie should also know that this is a fact!

She's a hard working woman alright! Oh Yeah!

Talk about an 8 year old that "WANTED" to drink? My God Woman are you serious? Would that be the same if Jackie left a loaded gun out?, think Kim would "Want" to blow her head off too?

What is that old saying about birds of a feather? You and Jackie must have had alot to talk about with "your" ex. trying to kill your son, interesting topic!

Look, Don't forget the charge here, its neglect, thats what happened!

MeLissa Hornsby wrote:
This is such a tragic thing that happened.I have five kids and they all know Jackie well.we have been to her house several times swimming and just talking.she drove their bus and looked after my daughter at school when I was having trouble with her.she never left anyone behind.For all who are downing her at this moment you should be ashamed.UNLESS you were there and seen her pour that liquer down Kim's throat forcefully.Which we all know she did not do.Instead of laying blame on Jackie those who do should be rememebering the good times with Kim.Jackie not only lost her daughter but she lost her best friend as well.We are all guilty of leaving things laying around sometimes that maybe children shouldn't have.It's hard to watch over your kids 24 /7.Jackie loved all of her kids but her and Kim spent alot of time together.I lived a few houses down from her before we both moved and i hardly ever seen her truck leave without Kim in it with her.I wasn't in town when all this happened and all i hear is what people are saying but i do know that this treatment Jackie is getting is unjust.People that go out here and put a gun to another person's head and pull the trigger don't get treated like this.Jackie was and still is a good mom and a wonderful person.I trusted her before this with any of my kids and I will continue to do so.....Kim was a wonderful person and will be missed by alot of people....
I believe the courts are trying to use Jackie as an example to anyone who has special needs children,which would be okay IF she wanted this to happen,but anyone who truely knew her knows this is not what she wanted.It's a shame the law won't take this kind of action towards parents that really do abuse their children.I have an ex that tried to run my 14 yr old son over with a car back in april....where is he now?Not in jail..they have 4 warrants on him in the ncic but they aren't trying to find him..People like that need to be in jail...that's the kind of person they should use as an example.Not Jackie.This is not something she set out to do or allow Kim to do.She was an honest,hard working woman that loved everybody.What's wrong with this world today?
they say Kim had the mind of an 8 yr old and I agree but i have to say...I have an 8 yr old and she knows not to drink.I also have to comment on another thing in the paper.Kim has done this in the past and even her father said he had to hide his from her.If she done it in the past then she knew what she was doing.She wasn't made to drink,she WANTED to do so,and that's what she done.
I wish Jackie well in her life and her future because I know it's going to be hard to go through all this but she needs to know people out here support her and believe in her and don't hold her responsible.
melissa

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2006

i bet you knew her well....doubt it...do you know me...no you don't so you can't tell me I'm telling lies.If you don't like what I said screw you...i could care less.i know Jackie and know she wouldn't have done that.I know the night before her and Kim were out and Kim was not drinking at the time.She was dancing with friends and having a good time.Got a problem with that get over it.Jackie I know you'll read this,i just want you to know keep your head up and have faith.All these people that come on here and talk trash about you...Laugh at them all.They don't have anything better to do and i bet none of them would say any of those things to your face,hell they might even be using fake names cause they can't be women enough or man enough to be honest about themselves....maybe because they aren't perfect either.I know you didn't mean for this to happen and I'm behind you.....

To Clara of columbia.....quote "What is that old saying about birds of a feather? You and Jackie must have had alot to talk about with "your" ex. trying to kill your son, interesting topic!"

give me a call i'll give you a interesting topic if thats what you want......!!!!got me
tammy

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 3, 2006

maybe it was lindas husband she seems to know a whole lot about it.....lol
Maddie

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2006

Well *actually* since you all seem to think you know so much about my family, let me fill you all in what you don't know. You people have no life. Why sit around and talk about something that is absolutely none of your business? It is my mom that you are talking about and you know what some of the good and some of the bad things ARE true. My mom DID leave us. She left my whole family. She has ruined a part of my life that will never come back. She has caused me so much pain she will never be forgiven. My sister won't be coming back. Who knows where or what my mom was doing that night Kim died. I can tell you one thing the only person on here who business it is is mine. It is not up to any of you to sit here and judge her or find her innocent or guilty. Sorry ladies no matter how mad I may be at her, Your opinions will not matter. My mom was a great mom growing up. She got bored with her life and set out for the party life. She did get a boyfriend, a married boyfriend, MELISSA, that's a fact!! It isn't up to you Melissa to say things back to Linda, Linda may have in fact saw them the night Kim died, there is a possibility that we will never know the truth. We are dealing with 2 homewreckers here. Because 2 people sought out so much happiness and had to ruin the lives of everyone who loved them, my sister lost her life. Now, keep your comments to yourself. My Mom, is none of your business.-Linda, if you get on i'd like to talk to you. Maddie Henderson of Swansea
Clara of Columbia

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2006

I got Ya MooLissa! Post your phone #, email address, better yet, post your address?
melissa wrote:
i bet you knew her well....doubt

it...do you know me...no you don't so you can't tell me I'm telling lies.If you don't like what I said screw you...i could care less.i know Jackie and know she wouldn't have done that.I know the night before her and Kim were out and Kim was not drinking at the time.She was dancing with friends and having a good time.Got a problem with that get over it.Jackie I know you'll read this,i just want you to know keep your head up and have faith.All these people that come on here and talk trash about you...Laugh at them all.They don't have anything better to do and i bet none of them would say any of those things to your face,hell they might even be using fake names cause they can't be women enough or man enough to be honest about themselves....maybe because they aren't perfect either.I know you didn't mean for this to happen and I'm behind you.....
To Clara of columbia.....quote "What is that old saying about birds of a feather? You and Jackie must have had alot to talk about with "your" ex. trying to kill your son, interesting topic!"
give me a call i'll give you a interesting topic if thats what you want......!!!!got me
Clara of Columbia

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2006

Linda I agree with you soo much on this! I think you really should contact Maddie Henderson.

The courts most certainly will look at the personal life of one in a case like this, I can't imagine them not doing so.

Thing is, Jackie and one of her sister's have both been homewreckers. Its my understanding the one sister lives in the marital home of a marriage bust up! The other sister left her husband, moved, died of a drug over dose, leaving three bi racial babies behind with no Mama. Lots of history here.

I do know that Jackie's ex. husband took her back time and time again, and would probably do so again.
Linda of Gaston wrote:
Her personal life shows what she's all about. Nobody said whe didn't love her daughter, but you don't sleep with a married man and have your daughter at a dance hall with the boyfriend til 2:00am and be dog drunk yourself. Are there witnesses to this -yes! Who that night, 6/3/06, was looking after her daughter? The boyfriend? Good person - No, Fit mom - No Also, jury will be looking at her personal life. <quoted text>
Melissa

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2006

I'm not saying she didn't see a married man and i'm not saying she did,I don't know you are right about that.The only thing I'm doing is just what everyone else is doing and that is sharing my opinon on a FORUM........I don't know what Jackie did back in the days all I know is the women I met and got to know.Nobody but Jackie and Kim and GOD know what happened,what TRUELY happened that tragic night.The only thing I have done is said I don't think she meant for Kim to die and I won't ever believe that,you said it yourself Maddie she was a great mom and you know she loved you all.You all can get mad at me if you want i really don't care.I still stand firm in what i said.
Maddie wrote:
Well *actually* since you all seem to think you know so much about my family, let me fill you all in what you don't know. You people have no life. Why sit around and talk about something that is absolutely none of your business? It is my mom that you are talking about and you know what some of the good and some of the bad things ARE true. My mom DID leave us. She left my whole family. She has ruined a part of my life that will never come back. She has caused me so much pain she will never be forgiven. My sister won't be coming back. Who knows where or what my mom was doing that night Kim died. I can tell you one thing the only person on here who business it is is mine. It is not up to any of you to sit here and judge her or find her innocent or guilty. Sorry ladies no matter how mad I may be at her, Your opinions will not matter. My mom was a great mom growing up. She got bored with her life and set out for the party life. She did get a boyfriend, a married boyfriend, MELISSA, that's a fact!! It isn't up to you Melissa to say things back to Linda, Linda may have in fact saw them the night Kim died, there is a possibility that we will never know the truth. We are dealing with 2 homewreckers here. Because 2 people sought out so much happiness and had to ruin the lives of everyone who loved them, my sister lost her life. Now, keep your comments to yourself. My Mom, is none of your business.-Linda, if you get on i'd like to talk to you. Maddie Henderson of Swansea
michelle

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2006

i know jackie and she shoud still go to jail.
Rachel

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2006

what could a married man possibly say to a woman that she would just walk away from her children and never look back, could it be he told her he wanted out of his marrage? well when did she think he was going to start getting out five years from now. I have read everything people have written and now one regret or concern about the wife, only the good person Jackie, not so she never cared about the wife. Next Stacey said after all Kim was 30, really or was she 8 cant be both. If Kim had been run over by a car leaving the Skyline club when Jackie was dog drunk of course Jackie would now have intened for her to dead,BUT she still would have been dead, think about what you are saying. bottom line if Jackie had stayed at home with her children not with a married man KIM would be alive.
terri

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2006

First of all, I'd like to thank all of you, outside our family, for enjoying conversations about our family as if it were another episode of Jerry Springer! Get a life and a new tv set!!! We lost our most precious family member of all and now in our time of grief we have garbage like this to respond to! Take a second to think not only of our whole family, but of my father who loved and raised Kim her whole life. Also think of my baby brother and sister! This was supposed to be their year!! They both just graduated high school and now along with grieving over the loss of their sister, they have to be embarrassed by people like Stacey, Rena, Melissa, and Angie!! I've tried to stay out of this whole mess, but enough is enough!!!
As far as you all saying you know Jackie so well, let me tell you, you never REALLY know a person. If so, my father would have known after being with jackie over 30 yearsthat she was having an affair with a married man. If you knew her so well, you'd also know me....her step-daughter for over thirty years!! This married man thing.......not a first for Jackie, ask my mother. She was a pro at it since a very young age. As for being a good person, we all have our days and people that we show our good sides to. Jackie can be a good person when she wants to. I'll go along. Don't ever think there's not stories to be told.
terri

Columbia, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 13, 2006

Just to finish where I left off....
No, we are not perfect. No one is. However, decent mothers don't move and leave their children for the good life!!! Also, those of you that knew our sister, knew she was loved and that she was funny as well a great imitator. She loved to copycat, and could remember things about a person to imitate them for many years. I just wonder,who she was imitating that fatal night??? No one's saying that Jackie poured alcohol down Kim's throat, but we'd like our judicial system to work for Kim. We just want Jackie to tell the whole truth. We just want to know what really happened. Anyone that wants to make it more than that, stay out of it! Don't we at least deserve the truth?
And Melissa, there's no one here hiding! I'll say this straight to Jackie's face. And for all the other Jerry Springer fans, please leave our family's loss off the air!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Gaston Discussions

Search the Gaston Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
SC SC state senator refers to candidate as 'raghead' (Jun '10) Jul 22 Lawrence Wolf 1,126
Giving help, getting help in the Midlands, June 4 (Jun '13) Jul 10 thanks 3
2 Female Corrections Officer Arrested for Sexua... (Aug '07) Jun 26 mom X 4 60
Does anybody know anything about arron dwight i... (Jan '13) May '14 the unknown 5
Lexington County tax plan crafted for wide appeal May '14 wilma stamm 1
Review: Kellogg's Apr '14 Sharon 1
apt/house for rent Mar '14 traveler 1
•••
•••
•••
•••

Gaston Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••