Fire rips through family-owned business

Jun 11, 2012 Full story: WIVB-TV Buffalo 14

LOCKPORT, N.Y. - A fire ripped through a barn in the at the SMC Equestrian Center early Monday morning.

Full Story
markus

United States

#1 Jun 11, 2012
It's sad when a local business suffers a horrific event, in which their livelihood and hopes become tarnished. Why when a misfortune like this occurs, there's always one person (who in which WAS KICKED OUT FOR RECKLESSNESS) decides to trash talk, and further the pain, and make the situation worse. Why not embrace the old saying "if you have nothing nice to say, then you should say nothing at all...." It's time to be an adult and step up and help, or bow out gracefully and keep the negativity to yourself.... For everyone else, please make a donation, or even offer your time or help the people and animals in need of help getting to their feet.
notonabet

Lockport, NY

#2 Jun 11, 2012
markus wrote:
It's sad when a local business suffers a horrific event, in which their livelihood and hopes become tarnished. Why when a misfortune like this occurs, there's always one person (who in which WAS KICKED OUT FOR RECKLESSNESS) decides to trash talk, and further the pain, and make the situation worse. Why not embrace the old saying "if you have nothing nice to say, then you should say nothing at all...." It's time to be an adult and step up and help, or bow out gracefully and keep the negativity to yourself.... For everyone else, please make a donation, or even offer your time or help the people and animals in need of help getting to their feet.
Are you delusional? They have ripped off so many people in the past. Anyone who makes a donation to this effort is being SCAMMED! They survived for years with out converting an old barn into a "supposed" indoor. Their home was not damaged, the horses are fine. Stop thinking that they are in need of help to get on their feet!
CURIOUS

Buffalo, NY

#3 Jun 12, 2012
what i would like to know is....how do you run a business with no insurance...how can u teach horse riding lessons, and from what i have heard, the girl who gives the lessons is barely an adult herself...horses are so unpredictable, and i wonder if her boarders were aware of this no insurance.....and from their web site,,, they do day camp...how in the world do you do all of this with no insurance...wondering if the kids parents knew of this as well...
Horseman

West Harrison, NY

#4 Jun 12, 2012
These people are total scam artists. I hope there is a full investigation. Anyone who deals with them will get ripped off.
RonB

Schenectady, NY

#5 Jun 12, 2012
what!, are these idiots looking for a hand (bail) out, like GM and the banks. have some self respect and go get a real job you slackers.
notonabet

Lockport, NY

#6 Jun 13, 2012
Before you contact the owners of SMC to donate anything, Google them by using their business name and individual names.
I understand this looks and seems like a tragedy, but if you were (are) aware of their reputations, the real tragedy is alot of people are about to get scammed by them again. They are known conartists and will do anything (obviously) to play the victim roll and scam people to get a hand out or what they want.
The barn that burned down was never a riding arena up, especially not for the past decade like they stated in the News report! It was a storage barn, that's all. Also, if they just allegedly put $70,000 worth of work into it, you would of been able to notice something new added or done to it- but it still looked the same way right before the fire, like it always has, a building that was starting to break down with many missing boards, leaky roof and more.
They are fishing for hand outs. And their supposed "loyal customers" don't really exist. You will read for yourself a statement from a recent previous boarder that they tried to con through the legal system when you Google their names. If you happen to miss it, here's the link, it's the last comment of the 3 pages #58: http://www.topix.com/forum/cit ...

Please understand, I'm not trying to be mean or heartless with my comment. This is just information I wish I had before I got scammed myself. If you decide to donate or help them that's your decision, just know that you read this and soon enough you will see what many others already know. The proof is in the Google search.
CmentShoos

Niagara Falls, NY

#8 Jun 13, 2012
I recommend biting off more then you can chew to anyone
I certainly do
I recommend sticking your foot in your mouth at any time
Feel free
Throw it down (the caution blocks you from the wind)
Hold it up (to the rays)
You wait and see when the smoke clears
You live you learn
You love you learn
You cry you learn
You lose you learn
You bleed you learn
You scream you learn
Wear it out (the way a three-year-old would do)
Melt it down (you're gonna have to eventually anyway)
The fire trucks are coming up around the bend
u havenoclue

Buffalo, NY

#9 Jun 14, 2012
markus wrote:
It's sad when a local business suffers a horrific event, in which their livelihood and hopes become tarnished. Why when a misfortune like this occurs, there's always one person (who in which WAS KICKED OUT FOR RECKLESSNESS) decides to trash talk, and further the pain, and make the situation worse. Why not embrace the old saying "if you have nothing nice to say, then you should say nothing at all...." It's time to be an adult and step up and help, or bow out gracefully and keep the negativity to yourself.... For everyone else, please make a donation, or even offer your time or help the people and animals in need of help getting to their feet.
Maybe the saying should go,"If you have nothing honest to say, don't say anything at all". Neither of them would ever be able to speak again.
I say this & can prove what liars/conartists they truly are just from what can be read in the Buffalo News & Niagara Gazette articles. If you haven't read (if you are able too) just those 2 articles, I recommend you do before you speak for them, because you are sounding real stupid rite now sticking up for 2 people that could really give a rat's butt about you. If you have read just those 2 articles & know them so well & still stand behind them, then you are an idiot also & you deserve to have them in your life.
You can't argue with me that the majority of what they told the reporter, that they were quoted saying- out of their own mouths, was true. She didn't inherit that property from her grandmother or parents, it was never a hobby horse farm, tack was not in the structure when it burnt down- those are just a few examples of their LIES. If you disagree with me ont that- I'd love to hear your rebuttal. Matter of fact, I can't wait to hear how you can defend those lies that they told to a reporter so it would be printed & read by many people who don't know what conartists they are.
I'm just glad alot of people in the area & horse community, that knows what that place use to be, who owned it before her deceased husband, who rode there, who know them personally- are ALL LAUGHING AT THE BLATANT, RIDICULOUS, LIES THEY ARE TELLING. THEY are DELUSIONAL!!
I wait for your reply Markus to prove me the liar and what they were quoted in the articles was the complete & honest truth.
notonabet

Lockport, NY

#11 Jun 15, 2012
CmentShoos wrote:
I recommend biting off more then you can chew to anyone
I certainly do
I recommend sticking your foot in your mouth at any time
Feel free
Throw it down (the caution blocks you from the wind)
Hold it up (to the rays)
You wait and see when the smoke clears
You live you learn
You love you learn
You cry you learn
You lose you learn
You bleed you learn
You scream you learn
Wear it out (the way a three-year-old would do)
Melt it down (you're gonna have to eventually anyway)
The fire trucks are coming up around the bend
Gee, not sure how to take this?
notonabet

Lockport, NY

#12 Jun 15, 2012
u havenoclue wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe the saying should go,"If you have nothing honest to say, don't say anything at all". Neither of them would ever be able to speak again.
I say this & can prove what liars/conartists they truly are just from what can be read in the Buffalo News & Niagara Gazette articles. If you haven't read (if you are able too) just those 2 articles, I recommend you do before you speak for them, because you are sounding real stupid rite now sticking up for 2 people that could really give a rat's butt about you. If you have read just those 2 articles & know them so well & still stand behind them, then you are an idiot also & you deserve to have them in your life.
You can't argue with me that the majority of what they told the reporter, that they were quoted saying- out of their own mouths, was true. She didn't inherit that property from her grandmother or parents, it was never a hobby horse farm, tack was not in the structure when it burnt down- those are just a few examples of their LIES. If you disagree with me ont that- I'd love to hear your rebuttal. Matter of fact, I can't wait to hear how you can defend those lies that they told to a reporter so it would be printed & read by many people who don't know what conartists they are.
I'm just glad alot of people in the area & horse community, that knows what that place use to be, who owned it before her deceased husband, who rode there, who know them personally- are ALL LAUGHING AT THE BLATANT, RIDICULOUS, LIES THEY ARE TELLING. THEY are DELUSIONAL!!
I wait for your reply Markus to prove me the liar and what they were quoted in the articles was the complete & honest truth.
Thanks for this! I thought it was kinda funny that the newpapers and the tv reports are quoting Chris White saying it was a $70,000 fire then a $50,000 one and then a $100,000 fire! New Jumps? No, old jumps from the front ring which he was working on Thursday night, by the way. Tack in the arena? Nope, not buying it when everyone has lockers! Viewing Lounge? Not enough space in the old barn he converted to an indoor arena. The police will probably find that the fire was set by someone smoking in the building. And with no insurance, begging is the only thing they can do to rebuild. I sure hope no one falls for this. He still needs to pay off the person who won the countersuit filed when he tried to sue them for $3000. And I'm still waiting for an answer to why he shot Louie and Misty and the horse that was there from the SPCA!
HorsePro

Depew, NY

#13 Jun 25, 2012
These people are liars and con artists! They would sell their grandmother for a dollar if they could. Of course they are asking for donations, anything for a buck. They give the good horse community a bad name. A thorough investigation should prove that this "accident" was anything but.
agree horse pro

United States

#14 Aug 12, 2012
HorsePro wrote:
These people are liars and con artists! They would sell their grandmother for a dollar if they could. Of course they are asking for donations, anything for a buck. They give the good horse community a bad name. A thorough investigation should prove that this "accident" was anything but.
You say "sell their grandmother for a dollar if they could." Which grandmother? The one who Shannon Etengoff - Foth - Stachowski - White supposedly inherited the farm from? Funny I didn't know that she was a decendant of the Moll, Channing or Foth families. But then again, she did tell one of the newspapers that she inherited from her parents (who are still alive....??) Maybe she knows something we don't since she's a Saint and only speaks the truth.
Maybe someone should go back over there and ask for an explanation since so many people are confused. I'm sure there's a good explanation and it was just a misprint in so many different publications.
I Love People Now

Buffalo, NY

#15 Aug 13, 2012
they cant be that bad?
I love ppl now

Ashburn, VA

#16 Jan 1, 2013
YES THEY ARE

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gasport Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crazy woman keeps getting arrested.. Thu That Woman Is Ins... 1
People who left Medina (Mar '09) Dec 23 pie lover 18
Debate: Gay Marriage - Medina, NY (Jan '12) Dec 20 Brian_G 10
Two of Medina's finest (Dec '13) Dec 6 circus court 6
SMC Equestrian Center (Jan '13) Dec 5 shady 32
Why I went somewhere else with my horse (Apr '13) Dec 5 yea 5
private investigator looking for tammy corneliu... Nov 29 50 Shades of Grey 4
Gasport Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Gasport People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Gasport News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Gasport

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 5:46 am PST