Carrol

Southside, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

Does anyone have any info on the very old immigrant cemetary in Gary just beyond the Gary Nursing Home? I stopped there recently to have a look and was awestruck at how many immigrants was buried there. Mostly children, babies and young adults. Also interesting was that the majority died in 1921. Was this during the flu pandemic? The oldest grave I found was that of a child, born in 1807. It gave me a hauntingly sad feeling, seeing so many babies and small children buried there. I think the most recent grave was a woman buried in 1943. I'd love more info if anybody knows anything about this cemetary. Thanks.
David

Princeton, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

Carrol wrote:
Does anyone have any info on the very old immigrant cemetary in Gary just beyond the Gary Nursing Home? I stopped there recently to have a look and was awestruck at how many immigrants was buried there. Mostly children, babies and young adults. Also interesting was that the majority died in 1921. Was this during the flu pandemic? The oldest grave I found was that of a child, born in 1807. It gave me a hauntingly sad feeling, seeing so many babies and small children buried there. I think the most recent grave was a woman buried in 1943. I'd love more info if anybody knows anything about this cemetary. Thanks.
You could check with City Hall in Gary they may have records.
sc girl

Myrtle Beach, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 7, 2009

i used to live near the cemetary. I know it is the only cemetary in the US that has a main highway going through it.
I think a lot of coal miner immigrants are buried there. I remember as a child walking throught it. Finally, it was cleaned up by a civic organization.
Former Female Firefighter

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 11, 2009

SC girl - me too. I lived on the second road below that graveyard.

It has a lot of very interesting names - but I'd be careful walking around, the graves may give way with you.
Watching

Bluefield, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

Actually 1921 goes down as one of the healthiest years for the US and Canada. It must have been a local epidemic. I to would be interested in knowing what actually happened that year that so many people died.
Different Sisters

Welch, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 30, 2009

There was a bad epidemic in 1918, so I don't know if it was at that time or not.
searching

Bluefield, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 5, 2009

We have driven though there a lot of times.I didn't know a lot of those buried there were immigrants.I'm just glad someone takes care of the graves.I've always heard it is the only cementery in the US that has a road though it.

“I Never Finish Anythi”

Since: Dec 08

Premier, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 8, 2009

I plan on taking some pictures there soon.
sc girl

Fort Mill, SC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 20, 2009

Believe it or not it was a question on Jeopardy.
What city is the only cemetary located in the US with a highway running through it?

That was many years ago.
anonymous

Bluefield, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2009

Cathead wrote:
I plan on taking some pictures there soon.
Please do and post them somewhere so that they'll be available for all to look at. They would make beautiful pictures.

“I Never Finish Anythi”

Premier, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 25, 2009

anonymous wrote:
<quoted text>Please do and post them somewhere so that they'll be available for all to look at. They would make beautiful pictures.
I will do that very thing.

“WHERE's DA JOBS Boehner? ”

Carswell Hollow, W.Va.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 15, 2009

Carrol wrote:
The Flu Pandemic was 1917.. My Uncle Misha was taken by that flu from Bottom Creek, Hollow.. I think he wasn't even a year old.. But there were also other things that would kill babies like the whooping Cough, Measles, Pneumonia and even at birth many children died.

“I Never Finish Anythi”

Premier, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 17, 2009

Here are some pics I promised. These are at my MySpace:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm...

Carswell Hollow, W.Va.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2009

Cathead wrote:
Here are some pics I promised. These are at my MySpace:
http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm...
I seen your photos, very thought provoking.
Former Female Firefighter

Knoxville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2009

Thanks Cathead. Some of those stones remind me of many trips past there to get up the road and deliver newspapers when I was young. You did very well. I can remember the older kids hiding up in there behind a few of those stones during Halloween to scare us, pelt us with eggs and even blackberries. I didn't do it, the older boys did. Something tells me that SC girl knows who and what I mean.

Thank you for a nice trip down memory lane, I'm just detoured on homesick avenue.

“I Never Finish Anythi”

Premier, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 18, 2009

Former Female Firefighter wrote:
Thanks Cathead. Some of those stones remind me of many trips past there to get up the road and deliver newspapers when I was young. You did very well. I can remember the older kids hiding up in there behind a few of those stones during Halloween to scare us, pelt us with eggs and even blackberries. I didn't do it, the older boys did. Something tells me that SC girl knows who and what I mean.
Thank you for a nice trip down memory lane, I'm just detoured on homesick avenue.
I am happy you enjoyed the pictures. Thank you too, Mike!

Carswell Hollow, W.Va.

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 19, 2009

Cathead wrote:
<quoted text>I am happy you enjoyed the pictures. Thank you too, Mike!
Buddy don't mention it.. Talent is Talent.
yea

Bluefield, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 4, 2009

I live by that grave yard four ten years their was a guy kill his self at the first left at the bottem of the hill behind a white bilding
Bonnie

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2009

Ya I know who you're talking about "yea" - Gary Paul, God rest his soul. His sister and brothers were great friends of ours. Most of the kids were. I used to live across the street from the Fousts and down from the Hawks. I miss many of my old friends from back then. My very best wishes
Bonnie

Johnson City, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 7, 2009

oh ya, bonnie is not my real name, just a screen.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Gary Discussions

Search the Gary Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
what is the usefulness of topix 2 min Weepy 9,714
WV Who do you support for U.S. Senate in West Virg... (Oct '10) 1 hr Steve 54,195
Thought for the day. (Oct '13) 4 hr Old man- Bville 1,401
**Add a word drop a word** (Oct '13) 15 hr mudpuppy 1,309
Cop (Jan '13) 15 hr buzzbuzz 18
Last Post Wins (Dec '11) 16 hr texas pete 3,539
War during the 30's and 40's 18 hr Fitus T Bluster 2
•••
•••
•••
Gary Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••