Black Oak,Indiana
Black Oak Boy for Life

United States

#21 Feb 25, 2010
Black Oak should be seprate from Gary and have it's own Mayor and leadership. I lived there 22 of my 34 years of life and wish it could be like the old days. Yeah Black Oak has it's share of drugs and thieves, but back in the day before crack came on the scene nobody stole from the neighborhood. That was our rule and should be established again. 20 years ago we had a tight group that respected each other and made sure stuff didn't get out of hand. If the fellas were united and living there the gang problem would not be an issue because it would be erased. There are still hard working citizens in Black Oak who are absoluteley being stomped on by Gary officials. It's a damn shame folks have to ride on streets filled with potholes and kids have to walk on dirtwalks not sidewalks. Houses are being burned down, stores shut down and it seems the people are too tired and have given up on Black Oak. Lord help us, bless Black Oak and her people.
sunshine

Gary, IN

#22 Mar 1, 2010
Just Wandering wrote:
Can anyone tell me what Black Oak is like now? I Moved from there after I got out of High School and haven't been back in 30 some years. But still think about the area and friends that I had there.
Black Oak is ok, but our mayors since 1979 don't care. What a shame as this place oozes with love from many people.
loyal blackoakian

Midlothian, IL

#23 Mar 20, 2010
http://citizens.garycommoncouncil.org/login.a... Voice your concrens for the town of blackoak the gangbangers street's storm sewer's etc. Lets make them sob give us our fair share we need enforcement out here
stell here

Woodridge, IL

#24 Mar 21, 2010
Just Wandering wrote:
Can anyone tell me what Black Oak is like now? I Moved from there after I got out of High School and haven't been back in 30 some years. But still think about the area and friends that I had there.
i was bore and raised here 52 years now ..and yes about has changed but is home to me i have rasied my kids here to but alot has and will keep changeing gangs guns not safe but stell home to me ,,you don;t bother them and they don't bother you
sunshine

Gary, IN

#25 Mar 22, 2010
I live here and so far I live on a good block, but most of the area is riddled with who ever wants to mess with us. I have an alarm system and I have been lucky no one has messed with me. I love this place but I am having thoughts about moving out if I can sell. Wish me luck and Black Oak.
michelle

Alsip, IL

#26 May 18, 2010
Connie wrote:
Like I said, it has been over 30 years since I've been there. It used to be just a small town with alot of trees and kids. You could let the kids play and never have to worry about them. Are you from there? I was really trying to find some friends that used to live there.
you can find people and pictures on my space there is a blackoak facebook page
dogit

Dyersburg, TN

#27 Jul 2, 2010
Does black oak have its own forum? or chat areas just for that area?
Vivian

AOL

#28 Jul 25, 2010
Black Oak was a great place to live, I remember when the library was built, no longer having to go to the trailer to get a book or two. I moved because the truck stop was going to be almost in my yard, and I am thankful I have moved, not because of the area, but because I do not drive and I now live in the city, can take a bus, can ride my scooter for disabled, can bum all I want and at the end of the afternoon, I can enjoy a Dairy Queen Blizzard.
Bob

AOL

#29 Aug 4, 2010
I lived in Black Oak for first 11 yrs of my klife. I still have relatives in the area. Area is really depressed looking when you drive through, but at least it's not Gary, IN. I used to live in Robert's Trailer Park (1949-1961), on the other side of the Nickle Plate tracks. The expressway ended just past Cline at that time, and we played football, baseball, etc. at the bottom of the overpass for the railroad tracks VAN LOON tower. Life was fun, many good times, some bad (passing away of my father when I was 7). Cline avw was 2 lane road, samll store, ice cream place, around Cline and 173rd st. Small store at the RR tracks and Black Oak Road. Cal's Barber shop on Colfax and Black Oak Road.

You could walk everywhere and not be bothered, you were safe. Oh, has life changed. If, anyone was from Roberts Trailer Park, it would be good to hear from you. The Pittmans, Dyes, Savages, etc. send me an email [email protected], or I am on facebook, Robert Fentress do search.

We moved to Hammond in 1961, and from there I have moved alot. retired and life is good.
mike

Skokie, IL

#30 Aug 28, 2010
Join Facebook and type black oak indiana in the search box at the top and go to the black oak site. There you will find over 300 pictures and memories of black oak.
Black Oak Sucks

Ankeny, IA

#31 Aug 29, 2010
Black Oak Is the pimple on the ass of humanity.
Rita

Gary, IN

#32 Jan 21, 2011
Connie wrote:
<quoted text>
I lived also lived in Chicago for about about 7 years, in the Austin area right off off Grand Ave. but that was about 20 some years ago. As for the name Bell I remember that name. Does he have a sister named Rita? My last name was Wade. There were four of us girls. Connie, Cathy, Debbie and Sandy. We went to DeVault Elementary and Calumet Jr.High and High school.
Yes Connie,
that is the Bell family that he was speaking of, I am Rita and I do also remember your family, I hope you are all well and doing fine. i moved from b/O several times and moved back, I also lived in chicago in the Bridgeport area, could not wait to get out of there...I hated it! I am now back in b/O, on the same street I grew up on good ole w.23rd ave I have a new house at the end of the block right next to the tracks, I have 4 family members that live right here on this street also, My brother Craig is who moved to Griffith. I hope you read this I know it has been a year since this blog. If you do my email is [email protected] and I am also on fb (rita bell mason)
Darlene

Sun City, CA

#33 Mar 15, 2011
I lived in Blackoak for 51 years. I just moved to southern ind. And i dont like it i miss blackoak.I sold my house.I miss my place and wish i was back there.I went to devault school and Calument high school.But it was getting bad with the gangs and stuff.Connie i know you and your sister Debbie.
cool

Dyersburg, TN

#34 Apr 18, 2011
Darlene wrote:
I lived in Blackoak for 51 years. I just moved to southern ind. And i dont like it i miss blackoak.I sold my house.I miss my place and wish i was back there.I went to devault school and Calument high school.But it was getting bad with the gangs and stuff.Connie i know you and your sister Debbie.
we might have shared some friends, lol....calumet 75-89..:)
Dolly

Beverly, MA

#35 Aug 15, 2011
Lived in Black Oak in 1962 for about a year. Lived in a trailor park next to a corn field. Had a lot of fun at that time. Sounds like things have changed a lot over the last several dacades. Would love to hear from anyone that lived there at that time. My maiden name was Sutherland( came from a large family). Take care Black Oak!
Mary Annis Lowe Bruckman

New York, NY

#36 Sep 9, 2011
I also lived there in the 50's and attended St. Ann School from 1952- 1959. I have recently found Sister Marjileen (anyone from St. Ann remember her?)"Beautiful Day" in Collinsville, Il.- do you remember her? I will see her next week for the first time in 53 years. My childhood was great there, all the kids in the neighborhood played together - I have
some wonderful memories. I haven't been back either and often wonder what it is like now. If anyone that
went to St. Ann during these years remembers me you can contact me : [email protected]
Rick Bagwell

Fort Worth, TX

#37 Dec 7, 2011
Connie wrote:
Like I said, it has been over 30 years since I've been there. It used to be just a small town with alot of trees and kids. You could let the kids play and never have to worry about them. Are you from there? I was really trying to find some friends that used to live there.
I used to live on Colfax Street down the road from Black Oak called Gary, Ind. Across the Street was Griffith, Ind. I moved away about about thrity years ago myself. I used to work at Inland Steel.
Rick Bagwell

Fort Worth, TX

#38 Dec 7, 2011
Hi i used to live just down the road in Gary, Ind. on Colfax Street. I worked at Inland Steel. email me at [email protected]
Judy

Pontiac, IL

#39 Dec 26, 2011
Anybody remember the WAGERS family? Most of them lived on 24th. many years ago.
Brenda lollar

Northport, AL

#40 Apr 1, 2012
I lived in a trailer park in calumet township graduated from caluemt high school in 1970 black oak was not a bad place then I have a lot of good memories there.hey if any one remembers me from high school I am on facebook Brenda jones

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gary Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 4 hr Mini mouse 20,637
Marie Drake aka Candy Tue Hans 10
Cheek Family - Hobart/Wheeler Indiana Sep 24 Cheek 1
Sibley's bath house (Apr '15) Sep 24 Micwop 6
Tara ciciora (Nov '14) Sep 24 hahaha 3
News 90-year-old, partially blind woman beaten and r... Sep 14 reality is a crutch 1
curious Sep 12 redhead37030 1

Gary Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Gary Mortgages