First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Just Wandering

La Plata, MO

#1 Feb 12, 2009
Can anyone tell me what Black Oak is like now? I Moved from there after I got out of High School and haven't been back in 30 some years. But still think about the area and friends that I had there.
Bill

Crown Point, IN

#2 Feb 13, 2009
Toiletbowl of America!!!!!!!!!!
Connie

Bonnots Mill, MO

#3 Feb 13, 2009
Like I said, it has been over 30 years since I've been there. It used to be just a small town with alot of trees and kids. You could let the kids play and never have to worry about them. Are you from there? I was really trying to find some friends that used to live there.
Bill

Crown Point, IN

#4 Feb 14, 2009
Connie wrote:
Like I said, it has been over 30 years since I've been there. It used to be just a small town with alot of trees and kids. You could let the kids play and never have to worry about them. Are you from there? I was really trying to find some friends that used to live there.
No, i'm from the south side of chicago. I know of the area through a friend who moved from black oak to griffith. His last name is Bell maybe you know his family.
Connie

Bonnots Mill, MO

#5 Feb 15, 2009
Bill wrote:
<quoted text>No, i'm from the south side of chicago. I know of the area through a friend who moved from black oak to griffith. His last name is Bell maybe you know his family.
I lived also lived in Chicago for about about 7 years, in the Austin area right off off Grand Ave. but that was about 20 some years ago. As for the name Bell I remember that name. Does he have a sister named Rita? My last name was Wade. There were four of us girls. Connie, Cathy, Debbie and Sandy. We went to DeVault Elementary and Calumet Jr.High and High school.
Lucy Lou

Crown Point, IN

#6 Sep 2, 2009
To Bill from Merrillville.....I am from Black Oak and though I no longer live there things have definitly chnaged about the area in the past decade or so....and the same can be said about your precious town of Merrillville....but wait...I noticed you said your from the Southside of Chicago....that makes it so much better....I think its so funny how people are so quick to make comments about a place where they've probably never visited or even lived and yet they are experts on the place....Yes people leave Black Oak but they do for many different reasons....probably some of the same reasons you left South Chicago to move to Merrillville and why the people who lived in Merrillville left when people from South Chicago came. Bottomline....Don't judge someone or something you don't know cuz the same is probably being said about you!
BLACKOAKIAN

Gary, IN

#7 Sep 26, 2009
I am sittin in Black Oak right now and there isn't nothing better then good ol Black Oak...There are crackheads everywhere and lil hoodrats all over and almost every house once lived in is either burt down or abandon..but I wouldn't trade growin up in Black Oak for anything in the world..It'll always be home sweet home!
Bill

Crown Point, IN

#8 Sep 30, 2009
BLACKOAKIAN wrote:
I am sittin in Black Oak right now and there isn't nothing better then good ol Black Oak...There are crackheads everywhere and lil hoodrats all over and almost every house once lived in is either burt down or abandon..but I wouldn't trade growin up in Black Oak for anything in the world..It'll always be home sweet home!
I hear you brother. I love my old neighborhood on the south side of Chicago (SLAG VALLEY). Even though it is not all that safe. I just do not feel at home in Merrillville IN. Indiana is not just another state, it's like another country.
Icuoverthere

Chicago, IL

#9 Oct 5, 2009
It is to bad the S*itbags are destroying basically the city and the bordering Indiana towns.O'well they know no better.
unfortunate resident

Lowell, IN

#10 Nov 20, 2009
i have lived in black oak for 24 years( since i was 4) and it has changed alot even since i was a kid. we used to be able to walk the streets freely back then, but now it is infested with gangs, mainly latin kings, who make it dangerous to even check your mail. i just found out today that they have a 35 person hitlist of non gang residents just so they can introduce kids to their gang. KIDS will be shooting these people just so they can join the latin kings. this is rediculous, and i pray for a day when my family and i can afford to move.
Living in Black oak

Cedar Lake, IN

#11 Nov 20, 2009
unfortunate resident wrote:
i have lived in black oak for 24 years( since i was 4) and it has changed alot even since i was a kid. we used to be able to walk the streets freely back then, but now it is infested with gangs, mainly latin kings, who make it dangerous to even check your mail. i just found out today that they have a 35 person hitlist of non gang residents just so they can introduce kids to their gang. KIDS will be shooting these people just so they can join the latin kings. this is rediculous, and i pray for a day when my family and i can afford to move.
Supposedly the Latin Kings are going to do a gang initiation tomarrow. Kill 21 for the 21st. This may not be true but it still worries me.
tom

La Salle, IL

#12 Nov 21, 2009
well i hope they keep it in their own neighborhood
former oakie

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Jan 18, 2010
tom wrote:
well i hope they keep it in their own neighborhood
i was born in black oak, family still owns property there, i was on 27th ave by the expressway, its changed alot, but some of the memories i wouldnt trade
Louise

Glen Ellyn, IL

#14 Jan 25, 2010
This town sucks. Ever since the 1970's when Hatcher lied and convinced everyone that Black Oak would be better off annexed by them than the county. Well I want the county to come back and take over. I hate Gary! They take our tax money and we can't get roads paved. This is nothing but alittle shack town. We have nothing to offer here. Homes are run down, taxes are sky high and you get nothing in return but a bunch of lies. Mary Brown is the committee person out here and shes a joke!
Carol

Glen Ellyn, IL

#15 Jan 25, 2010
If you can get out of Black Oak do it! Gary does not deserve our tax dollars. Clay is nothing but a flamboyant talker. All he has on his mind is a Jackson museum.
beautiful day

Edwardsville, IL

#16 Jan 26, 2010
I have been reading your comments on Black Oak. I lived there in a trailer park and went to St.Ann's grade school. Now this was back in the 50's. My father worked as a boilermaker for Chicago-Bridge and Iron. And we traveled around for some years with him. Can't think what the name of the trailer park was then. But it was nice and lots of trees around. We would cross a road and walk thru the field to the little school then. At the time we live in Black Oak,They were just building freeways all around us. Actually there were two trailer parks and they were across the highway from each other. I was in the third grade and remember it well then. We use to go to a place called Aliza Lake? Sorry to hear about the gangs,but you have that everywhere now adays. They move in from the cities to the suround area's and that is when it gets bad.
Escapee

Tampa, FL

#17 Jan 30, 2010
beautiful day,

I lived in that ratty trailor park. Brother in law owned Balocks store (then called willis)
sunshine

Gary, IN

#18 Feb 12, 2010
Black Oak is my place,The only thing I want to do is move away from this weather.
sunshine

Gary, IN

#19 Feb 12, 2010
Escapee wrote:
beautiful day,
I lived in that ratty trailor park. Brother in law owned Balocks store (then called willis)
It was a good place in the day but the owner s did not care for some reason. Its gone now and the store buildings has been rehabbed and looks very nice. come take a look. BTW Was u one of the rats. LOL
Mike

Chicago, IL

#20 Feb 13, 2010
Black oak is not as bad as some of these people say.
Yes our roads are crappy and the city doesnt do much for us.
But we have always had a reputation here for a bad area.
There are still many wonderful people here.
Some people were commenting on their roads that are in the bad part of black oak.
There are some bad pockets around here.
But just about every place has that.
If you have facebook you can join their group by typing in black oak indiana in the search box on facebook.
There are many pictures and alot of history on their site.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gary Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Matt Stevenson of Northwest Indiana 4 hr Winter 2
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 13 hr Namu Myoho Renge Kyo 19,633
The Brotherhood Mc Sat Giggitygiggity 1
Ms. Stephanie Harris of Merrillville, Indiana Fri StephanieHarrisSl... 1
you wouldnt understand. ... Feb 27 black117 3
Student Beaten While Leaving Hobart Restaurant (Jun '08) Feb 21 white man 11
friends & family of bryan keith emerson Feb 21 yourbigsister 1
Gary Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Gary People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:12 am PST

Bleacher Report 8:12AM
Buzz: Colts Eyeing Trades for Veteran WRs Including Marshall
Bleacher Report 1:14 PM
Could Bears Ever Get Fair Trade Value for Forte?
Bleacher Report 1:40 PM
Wayne Undergoes Surgery on Triceps
NFL 2:44 PM
Reggie Wayne had surgery, mulling Colts future
Bleacher Report 8:57 PM
Bears' Blueprint for Winning Free Agency