Experts fear potential abuses of gene...

Experts fear potential abuses of genetic screening -

There are 3 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 27, 2007, titled Experts fear potential abuses of genetic screening -. In it, Newsday reports that:

Over the next few generations, the use of preimplantation genetic diagnosis may become as common as amniocentesis, predicted David Adamson, a California reproductive endocrinologist and president-elect of the ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

dirty girl

Bristol, CT

#4 Oct 1, 2007
If you had read the entire piece, you would see that the parents did say that they ha planned to have a third child, this just made them do it faster and with genetic screening to make sure it was a good match. An, unless something has changed since I read this piece, the prognosis for Katie is great. Her brother's marrow has taken and she is growing new marrow.

Is it better to have let Katie go through having to have blood transfusions every 3-4 weeks for the rest of her life? A life htat would be riddled with pain and isolation? Or to have just let her die?

Science has no ethic. What we do with it is how we decide if it is ethical.
I Have His Wallet

United States

#5 Oct 2, 2007
dirty girl wrote:
If you had read the entire piece, you would see that the parents did say that they ha planned to have a third child, this just made them do it faster and with genetic screening to make sure it was a good match. An, unless something has changed since I read this piece, the prognosis for Katie is great. Her brother's marrow has taken and she is growing new marrow.
Is it better to have let Katie go through having to have blood transfusions every 3-4 weeks for the rest of her life? A life htat would be riddled with pain and isolation? Or to have just let her die?
Science has no ethic. What we do with it is how we decide if it is ethical.
What you neglect to mention is that bone marrow extraction is painful and that the donor child has No Say in the decision!
dirty girl

Bristol, CT

#6 Oct 2, 2007
I Have His Wallet wrote:
<quoted text>
What you neglect to mention is that bone marrow extraction is painful and that the donor child has No Say in the decision!
True, it is painful (I have a friend who donated) but it is not a long lasting pain, repeated over and over again.
You'll also note, that in the article it comments that by mid afternoon, hours after the extraction, the boy was smiling, playing, eating.

Sure, the child does not have a say in whether he should give the marrow or not, but parents often make difficult and painful decisions for their children. An infant cancer patient doesn't get a choice about chemo.... As an adult now, I know that I would truly give anything, any part of myself, for any of my siblings (biological or not) or neices and nephews, no matter what the pain or cost to me. I would give my life it it meant saving one of them.

In the end, this will have created a special bond between the 2 children. The boy lives (was born) becasue of the girl and the girl lives becasue of the boy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garrison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Thomas Hall (Oct '10) 18 hr Debby 5
New WIndsor Driving Range Lapras Wed Lapras Seeker 1
News Struggling WWII vet gets Christmas gifts, donat... Jan 12 Jeremy 2
News Teen Arrested Twice In Same Day Following Burgl... Jan 8 Kingkong361 1
Review: Pleasure Island (Nov '09) Jan 5 Mamanono 6
Adoptees Born at Julia L. Butterfield Hospital ... (Jan '12) Dec 31 joannyadoptees 55
News What's new in the business scene (Dec '11) Dec 25 Moonbeam 4

Garrison Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Garrison Mortgages