womans battered shelter in rockaway b...

womans battered shelter in rockaway beach mo

Posted in the Garrison Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
a concern taxpayer

Chicago, IL

#1 May 16, 2010
I just don't understand the shelter in Rockaway beach for battered women. Do they have rules? do they have a curfew? are they allowed to get drunk? are they allowed to bring men to there cabins or rooms? are they allowed to tell everyone where they live? specially the person they are hiding from??? if they can afford to get drunk everynight. then they can afford to pay for there room. are they supposed to be looking for a job? I feel that there are women or men that needs places like this and for someone taking advantage of this is wrong it is a waste of donated money and tax payers money. it is so wrong and very sad.
A CONCERNED CITIZEN

Springfield, MO

#2 May 19, 2010
To the so-called concern taxpayer, HOW DARE YOU PUT DOWN THIS WONDERFUL PLACE. You are missing the point of a BATTERED WOMAN. I think that this is one of the best things that has happened for BATTERED WOMEN. ALL of these women have been in some of the worst crisis in their lives, this shelter has saved them and their kids from further harm. THESE BEAUTIFUL WOMEN have taken such an important step to changing their lives. THEY STOOD UP FOR THEM SELVES AND LEFT AN AWFUL SITUATION. I say KUDOS to the WOMEN. As this is the first step to the rest of their lives.
When women or men IN CRISIS come to a shelter for help, that is what they need. MOST OF THESE PEOPLE COME TO THESE PLACES WITH NO CLOTHES, SHOES OR MONEY AND JUST THE CLOTHES ON THEIR BACK. ITS A RELIEF TO SOMEONE IN CRISIS TO KNOW THAT THERE IS A PLACE THAT CARES AND WHERE THEY AND THEIR KIDS CAN BE SAFE FROM HARM AND HAVE A WARM PLACE TO STAY A FOOD IN THEIR STOMACHS.
I do not feel that women or men in crisis come to a place like this to take advantage, THEY COME TO GET HELP.
TO the so-called concern citizen. Apparently, you have never been in a crisis that has taken you to a shelter for help, and I do not feel that you fullY understand the role of the shelter or support it in anyway, but you CHOOSE TO UNDERMINE THE SHELTER AND THE HARD WORK OF ALL THE PEOPLE INVOLVED.
aconcern taxpayer

Chicago, IL

#3 May 19, 2010
i don't dispute on what you are saying yes they are women and men that are abused and needs the program. but not everyone is abused i know a few people that are in this program that has not been abused and i know a few that is and yes they are taking advantage. and yes it is the rest of there lives you must og not read this correctly. because if you did then you wold of understand. you don't tell the anyone specially the person is is accused on where you live. and i didn't say everone but there are surely a few that does take advantage of it. like i said if a person can afford to get drunk everynight they can afford to pay where they are staying what happen to innocent until proven guilty.
A CONCERNED CITIZEN

Springfield, MO

#4 May 19, 2010
To aconcern taxpayer: You may know people in the program, but you dont know every aspect of their lives and until you walk in a VICTIMS's shoes you have no right to PUT DOWN THIS WONDERFUL PROGRAM DOWN OR ANYONE IN IT.

A VICTIM IN THE STATE OF MISSOURI HAS RIGHTS. AND HOW DARE YOU TRY AND PASS JUDGEMENT OVER PEOPLE THAT YOU KNOW NOTHING ABOUT. SHAME ON YOU.

I'm curious what makes you think that PEOPLE AT ABUSE SHELTERS ARE OUT GETTING DRUNK EVERY NIGHT?

AND IF THESE PEOPLE COME TO A SHELTER FOR HELP AND HAVE NO MONEY THEN HOW ARE THEY GOING TO PAY FOR THEIR ROOM?

OR HOW DO YOU KNOW IF THEY ARE/ARE NOT PAYING FOR THEIR ROOM???

As far as for your quote "What happened to Innocent until proven guilty" that is A RIGHT guaranteed by the CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA AND YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO A SPEEDY TRIAL AT MY EXPENSE. LET ME RE-PHRASE THAT.
"TAXPAYER EXPENSE".
lady from springfield

West Plains, MO

#5 May 20, 2010
to the person from springfield your funny have you read the article whom the person wrote? the person was not being judgemental and i agree with that person. I know a person that is in that home. and whether or not if that person belongs there or not the person has no right bragging how she got there and tell the abusee where she is at and yes i see her at the bar everynight sometimes don't know about getting drunk though what you wrote about has nothing to do with what the person is saying.. don't go claiming that the person doesn't know what he is talking about maybe the person has info or concerns as a tax payer myself and i gaive allot to domestic violence he has a point the person also said he gives money to the home so he has a concern. the person should of rephrased it alittle differant but the person didn't mention any names maybe the person should of said a one person
A CONCERNED CITIZEN

Springfield, MO

#6 May 20, 2010
TO: lady of springfield: I not trying to be funny. These types of issues do not need to handled in an open public forum, they need to be handled by the proper authorities.
Wether the person mentioned in the blog was being judgemental or wether you agree with the person is not the point. The point is that you are TRYING TO ATTACK A VICTIM OF DOMESTIC ABUSE IN A CHARACTER DEBATE and you have no facts to back up this up.
These ladies in the shelter are trying to rebuild their lives and the lives of their kids, they look for work, they look for a place to live, they take care of their health issues.
And I seriously doubt that the women in these shelters are out at bars everynight, or that they are in a bar bragging as to why they are in the shelter, and I dont think that they would be trying to tell the abuser where they are.
And I doubt that you or the man that you mentioned have ever donated to domestic violence. And I doubt if either of you have ever donated to any shelter for domestic violence. Because if you had done that you would not try and attack a victim in a public forum. And some of your actions raise a red flag to me in that you act as if you could be stalking victims at the shelter.
As a former victim of domestic abuse myself, I know how the system works. And my family and friends supported me.
concern citizen

Chicago, IL

#7 May 20, 2010
to the person who answered the concern citizen don't you understand what you are reading. no one is missing the point of battered women and no one is putting down what the home stands for I the concern citizen donate to this cause and many other charities. maybe you should do some research. when you don't obey the rules like getting drunk and bringing men to your cabin or room or not obeying your curfew and bragging where you live specially so the abusee can find out then you are putting yourself and others in harms way. and thats not right to the other people. I can take my money to better use. if the shelter don't enforce or have any rules. i think the the shelter is a good thing you have to love yourself in order to help yourself and if you tell the person who hurt you in the first place where you are. you can't possiblly respect yourself or others. yes most of these women have been in a very bad crisis my heart goes out to them. and all it takes is one person to break these rules and she or he is putting others in harms way. now you read what i wrote again and if you have a promblem understanding this there is help for you to i have helped this shelter and other shelters all over the state and what i donate to this shelter can go to st judes or somewhere. this shelter needs all the help thye can get but if it is not going to be operated with responsibilty to help these women who really needs the help then the shelter has lost a good friend to them. they are not changing there lives if they cannot help or love themselves your remark was wrong that i don't support the shelter in anyway. do some research and understand what yoiu read they don't need to take up the space that other may need and who are waiting for help they still need to follow the rules telling the wrong people where you live is a bad idea to me. the concern tax payer and supporter (maybe)
A CONCERNED CITIZEN

Springfield, MO

#8 May 20, 2010
To: concern citizen: When you put this out in the open public forum you bring re-proach to the shelter. This shelter should be commended for all the hard work that goes into a shelter. Its not an easy job for the workers, but its alot harder for a vicitm. So you are missing the point.
And I can tell you that IM NOT IN THIS SHELTER, I WAS IN ONE ABOUT 10 YEARS AGO IN ST. LOUIS. IVE MOVED ON WITH MY LIFE AND IM A SUCESSFUL BUSINESS CONSULTANT. SO I DO NOT NEED TO DO ANY RESEARCH. So you got the WRONG PERSON when you tell me that I am breaking the rules, and I am out getting drunk and bringing men to my cabin and that I am telling people like the abuser where I'm at.....YOU GOT THE WRONG PERSON.
Local

Garrettsville, OH

#9 May 21, 2010
There are a lot of people who believe the same thing the concerned citizens is saying. Alot of the women living in the shelter are going out at night and getting drunk. They are also taking men back to their rooms. And I know for a FACT, several of the women are using drugs. I also know there are a couple of women living in the shelter who have not been abused. I also know they are telling their abuser where they live, and seeing them in town. By the way, they need to clean the place up, it looks like a trash dump. Teach them to take pride in their self and their home. A few can hurt it for the rest of them.
A CONCERNED CITIZEN

Springfield, MO

#10 May 21, 2010
To: Local, Ive read what concern citizen has written in the blog. But since im not from your area, I am a little bit confused as to wether there is 1 person that concern citizen is targeting or is there 4-5 that you are targeting? Could you please clarify what you BOTH mean?
And I have to honestly say that when you are a victim of domestic abuse, I dont feel that you have to be locked down 24-7 in your room or not be able to go anywhere or socialize or be with friends. You are infering that these women should have no freedom because they are a victim. That society wants a victim to act a certain way or do certain things. And in retrospect you are saying that the abuser should be free to come and go as they please.(such as you are) You are setting a double standard. And I say again if you have so much information about these victims doing what you claim, then why not report it to the proper authorities? Where is your proof? ARE YOU AN ABUSER? ARE YOU STALKING WOMEN AT THE SHELTER? HOW DO YOU KNOW SO MANY OF THESE WOMEN AT THE SHELTER? AGAIN WHERE IS YOUR PROOF OF WHAT YOU CLAIM HERE? I DO NOT BELEIVE THAT YOU HAVE ANY PROOF. ALL I HERE IS YOU TALKING IN STATEMENTS, STATING THAT YOU KNOW THIS AND THAT, AND NOT OFFERING UP ANY PROOF?
The Peoples Reporter

United States

#11 Jun 12, 2010
The shelter is a great asset to this community and the women and men who need it. Period.

Anyone who has issues with the shelter, should contact it's Director. I'm sure that she will address your concerns immediately.
in the know

Sparta, MO

#12 Jun 29, 2010
drug abuse, alcohol, the men in and out, just sit back and watch for awhile and you wont have to read it on this forum you will see it your self. you say talk to the director, dont work she hides, or tries to hide it from the public. a place like that is needed but not in the way it is being run in rockaway, state should do a surprise inspection instead of giving them fair warning before going to visit. pills being bought and sold out of it, if you want it, you can get it from the women at the shelter, not all but some and those are the ones who need to be sent packing. also new staff would be the best bet in getting the shelter back on the track it should be on. i am not writing this to be writing, i am writing it because i absolutely know what goes on there and cops cant do anything about it...
just concerned

Branson, MO

#13 Jul 26, 2010
In the middle of a resort community was no place to put a shelter like this. Let the feel good person above have the shelter placed in their neighborhood and we'll see how they feel then. The way these women conduct themselves around town there is no wonder how they got themselves in their current predicament in the first place. The beginning of the end for Rockaway was when this place came in. The citizens of Rockaway would have gladly been generous enough to fund the same shelter as well only if it was located in Branson instead. Don't go feeling good about yourself when the real giving and caring comes from those who must tolerate, clean up after, and live with these unfortunate victims and then watch their beloved resort community become nothing but a dirty slum.
Resident

Branson, MO

#14 Jul 27, 2010
I agree with the comments above. The shelter is not being used as a sheltr. It is being used to make a profit on the abused women. Its about money. People are there to long, they are only supposed to be there a short period, but there are some who have been there over a year. I know, because I live across the street from them. There are more men going in and out then women. They might check and see if there is some selling of them selves. The people running the shelter might be the boss and making a cut. Would not supprise me. The attorney Generals office might need to be contacted, since they are sopose to be Non-Profit. Its time for the shelter to move into the county. Then they can do what ever thewy want. Lets get a pition going to remove them from our town. The town is really moving forward and cleaning up. The 99 percent of the residents in town should not have to pay for the 1%, especially since they are not from here. They should be the next step in Rockaway Beach clean up.
Anonymous

United States

#15 Jul 29, 2010
I too live by the "shelter", it has been nothing but trouble. Men hiding in the yard so they won't get caught,women at the bar while their children run wild all over town. I have been in a shelter, this is not a shelter, it is a joke!
so sad

Branson, MO

#16 Aug 4, 2010
I really cant believe you people!!!! I have been reading this crap from all of you long enough without saying anything. I wasnt even going to dignify your comments with an acknowledgement of your existance, but its gotten completely ridiclous. I happen to know some of the advocates there and I know the policys and rules. The women from there are NOT running around town. If you have seen them it MIGHT have been from them walking to the store. They do NOT have men on the premises and you know that is a bold face lie!!!!!! If you ever saw a man hiding in the yard maybe you should have been a decent person and called the police because it might have been an abuser trying to find one of the women or kids that the have beaten so badly that these women have to run and go into hiding to keep themselves and kids safe! do you think they like to have to live or stay in small cramped, cottages that are falling down because of ignorant people like you, that keep decent people from helping to keep them maintained? Do you think that they enjoy having to be humiliated by showing what their "loving" men in their lives have done to them and their kids? Do you really think they like to be there with no money, clothes, transportation or job to be able to feed their kids? the women that have been there for awhile actually pay rent. And just like in this world there may be someone there that may not deserve to be there, but thank God there is a place for the women and kids that do to be able to go to. It sounds to me like you need to quit stalking the shelter and get your own jobs. People in glass houses and all that you know. And just cus im curious, i would really like to hear what has been done to have caused trouble for your peaceful little hardworking community? What has ever been done by ANYONE from the shelter that caused you or anyone else problems?
Anonymous

Solo, MO

#17 Aug 12, 2010
Yes, I do know what if feels like to have to hide from my "man", I have been in a shelter. It was a secure shelter, the address and phone number was not listed in the phonebook, the property had an eight foot privacy fench around it, you didn't leave without permission, and there was a curfew! I personally have been assaulted by a "woman" at the shelter, she came to my home and threatened me, and my children. I didn't even know who she was or what she was there about. I had to call the police. One lady tried to move in with my disabeled mother, I had to call the police. We have had to call the police approximately 15 times in the last few years, because there were men hiding in the yard so they didn't get caught in the cottage. I have fed and helped protect some of the children, because no one could find the mother, she was found, in the bar. Do you want me to go on? As I stated before, there have been at least 15 reports to the Taney County Sheriffs office, that is what has been done to our little "peaceful" community. We now have men that are known abusers running the streets, hiding in the yards, sneaking all over town, or waiting in the bar for their woman. What else do you need to know?
The Lamppost

Branson, MO

#18 Aug 15, 2010
so sad wrote:
I really cant believe you people!!!! I have been reading this crap from all of you long enough without saying anything. I wasnt even going to dignify your comments with an acknowledgement of your existance, but its gotten completely ridiclous. I happen to know some of the advocates there and I know the policys and rules. The women from there are NOT running around town. If you have seen them it MIGHT have been from them walking to the store. They do NOT have men on the premises and you know that is a bold face lie!!!!!! If you ever saw a man hiding in the yard maybe you should have been a decent person and called the police......
Might I suggest Madam that you must live in a fantacy world far removed from real life in this town. Your intentions are good, but the results are not what you envisioned. Why would anyone need to call the police? They are already over there, all the time. Again with good intentions, those involved with placing this establishment in this resort town bloodied the nose of a community which did nothing short of supporting the economic boom all around it while it was dying a slow death itself. While the backers meant well, they made their plans, gathered the funding, made it happen, then turned their heads and looked the other way. Easy to do when it's not your backyard.
Anonymous

Ava, MO

#19 Aug 16, 2010
The Lamppost wrote:
<quoted text>
Might I suggest Madam that you must live in a fantacy world far removed from real life in this town. Your intentions are good, but the results are not what you envisioned. Why would anyone need to call the police? They are already over there, all the time. Again with good intentions, those involved with placing this establishment in this resort town bloodied the nose of a community which did nothing short of supporting the economic boom all around it while it was dying a slow death itself. While the backers meant well, they made their plans, gathered the funding, made it happen, then turned their heads and looked the other way. Easy to do when it's not your backyard.
Thank you and Amen!
so sad

Branson, MO

#20 Aug 17, 2010
it is people like you that keep the abuse going. You obviously dont understand the nature of abused and battered women and kids. An abused woman will return to her abuser and average of 7 times before she is mentally and emotionally capable of making that break because she has ben so physically and emotionally beaten down that she believes that is the only life that she deserves. Everyone wants to help everyone untill it comes to their house and back yard. everyone speaks a good game of being against abuse and hunger untill it hits their wallets. IF the place seems dirty, volunteer to help clean it up and paint it. If it seems as though there are things going on there that you think are wrong or that you dont understand, go talk to the director or an advocate. If you want change then go and see what YOU can volunteer to do to help change instead of calling the police or gripeing on a forum. Yea thats what i thought!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garrison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Minirth-Skipper Counseling Center Jul 20 completely_unknown 1
Irresponsible People Jul 17 MissyT 11
What's Sparta's new Mayor up to??? (Apr '13) Jul 17 SEE 492
The x Jul 13 The x 1
Sparta City Hall Jun '15 Monkey 2
Chickens in Sparta? (Nov '11) Jun '15 Another resident 21
Fairview Road Closing? Jun '15 Concerned 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Garrison Mortgages