Bible study rules for public schools ...

Bible study rules for public schools proposed

There are 148939 comments on the The Courier-Journal story from Feb 10, 2010, titled Bible study rules for public schools proposed. In it, The Courier-Journal reports that:

FRANKFORT, Ky. - The state would create rules for teaching about the Bible in public high schools under a bill filed Monday by three Democratic senators.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The Courier-Journal.

havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86886 Sep 6, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
Yeah, exactly. And if you look at all the arguments for the existence of god that Christian Apologists make NONE Of them would mean there is a Christian god, specifically. Even their most treasured argument, the Cosmological Argument, is absolutely neutral on the nature and/or number of gods/beings/creatures/whatsits that could have created the universe.
There is only one certain definition of a god that actually exists, and that is that god is what actually exists. It is just a trick of definition, but it works. anything else is speculation. if a god was promising to make the world better retroactively and all pain and suffering be gone and never have been, that would be the sort of miracle worker I would demand in order to like whatever to like it.

“See how you are?”

Since: Jul 12

Earth

#86887 Sep 6, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> what do you mean by a political parisanh? you prefer being a political enuch? with no principles and no policy views? if one is partisan, it can be for the sake of working within a party for one's principles and policy views - not for the sake of blindly following some leader. it is the independents, so called, who are responsible for leaving both parties under control of such a small minority of persons who vote in caucuses and primaries and nominate candidates and write platforms. then the independents whine that they do not like the choices. it is their own damn fault for not participating in the processes of the party they prefer, and not working to reform the processes to make them better - both party processes and campaign and electoral processes.
you ought to be complaining about voter suppression, instead of attacking partisans. you tar both parties with the same brush, and one party is trying to suppress the votes of old and poor and minorities and young people. I am a Democrat who participated in the platform process of my party in the past, and had some influence on a platform plank, to expand the rights of citizens of Washing DC. I worked in primaries and went to caucuses for the ones I thought best within my party.
people who stand aside and complain have no right to complain, if they do not try to make things better.
if you mean by partisans, those who blindly follow - and who are extreme and do not see anything to compromise about or anything or anyone of merit on the other side, then I oppose that. But one can support one party - as I do - and still be interested in some proposals of the most intelligent persons in the other party - Dick Lugar for example, or Chuck Hagel or Jim Leach, and in those persons and others - usually those from the past in the case of the GOP, since the party is mostly dominated by rightwing extremists, of political, religious, and economic varieties, or combos of both. One of my best friends in politics was a Republican Congressman from Maine, and another pal was a GOP Governor, and another the President of the National Young Republicans - but he got thrown out by the Goldwater faction in 1963, when the rightwing began its extremist takeover.
Naturally, I refer to someone who would vote for an opposum before they would cross their party line. How would you construe my meaning to be anything else?
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86888 Sep 6, 2012
others wrote:
Many type of people in this world. Those that make you feel worthy and those that live to prove you do wrong. Those that live by their ego's while not caring who's they hurt in return. Those that love and expect nothing in return. Those that try to live right and fall just like all nonperfect bodies we are. Those that think of themselves as perfect and only live for themself's. Which ones are we?
whom they hurt, and themselves - those mistakes seem to indicate that you wrote that comment in your own words. but did you have a source that influenced your thinking? it at least seemed well-meaning. but I would not feel at all sure about the details, or examples, or what else you believe. do we know you under another name? do you comment here often?

“Question, Explore, Discover”

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#86889 Sep 6, 2012
know wrote:
1 Corinthians 12:17-20. God has arranged the parts of the body, every one of them, just as He wanted them to be.:-)
He wanted your back to be inefficient at weight bearing? He wanted your sinuses to be oriented so they can't properly drain?

He likes appendixes?

lol
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86890 Sep 6, 2012
Apple At Cha wrote:
<quoted text>
ROFL. For someone who thinks ignorance is dangerous, you display an awfully large amount of it.
1. Wandering eyes doesn't cause marriages to break up. Money Issues and infidelity do. Verifiable fact.
2. Being gay has NO relation to being raised by a mother only. That is also verifiable fact and debunked myth. Gays come from all family types. Looking for a "reason gays exist" to support your belief that single mothers are bad for children is just bupkis.
3. Pushing for one's rights shouldn't be a problem for anyone, UNLESS you want to continue to oppress those persons. Saying gays shouldn't seek equal rights and treatment because it will upset fundamentalists is hilarious. That is like telling a kid to just take it from the bully, because standing up for themselves may just make the bully mad.
Before making blanket characterizations, please do some thoughtful research, because ignorance really is dangerous.
so glad to see your wonderful comment, typical of yours - and rather glad that some idiot makes a comment that provokes your reply! have missed you!
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86891 Sep 6, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
He wanted your back to be inefficient at weight bearing? He wanted your sinuses to be oriented so they can't properly drain?
He likes appendixes?
lol
noses were made for expensive eyeglasses, and appendixes for surgeons, in order to enrich insurance companies. God is a rightwing GOP operative, you realize.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#86892 Sep 6, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>The prejudice against black persons was a part of the Mormon past. There are lots of secrets in the Mormon faith. We do not know enough about it, or about Romney and what he believes, and would feel he has to do, as a good Mormon. Apparently greed is OK with them.
A part of the Mormon past? I knew a bookkeeper at a public school in Arizona where the population was largely LDS. She indicated that there was a high degree of racism against Amerindians, African Americans and Hispanics. It was expected that LDS children would receive preferential treatment, that prayer would be held daily and that the elders would dictate school policy.
About 3% of the LDS is African American.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86893 Sep 6, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
Naturally, I refer to someone who would vote for an opposum before they would cross their party line. How would you construe my meaning to be anything else?
I did not in your case. That is why I specifically added the section which discussed the sensible sort of partisanship. Sorry if you thought I meant you in particular in my attack on non-participating non-partisan independents. I have been deep into watching the convention and see any comment on politics as an invitation to make the points I want to make. They were not meant as an attack on you, since I generally assume you are rational. Your wording was not quite clear enough, and I objected to that - but I did not assume the worst about you personally. Sorry if my own wording implied that. you are one of the good guys, in general, so far as I have seen.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86894 Sep 6, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen some cute oppossums! but now, there are very few national level Republicans that are nicer than possums.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#86895 Sep 6, 2012
Yiago wrote:
<quoted text>
He likes appendixes?
lol
Back strain and sinus/allergies are proof that man was brought here by aliens from a lower gravity world that didn't have ragweed - plus the appendix has been linked to radiation resistance....
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86896 Sep 6, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
fundies? There is no FUNDAMENTAL difference between a Muslim extremist, a Christian zealot and a political partisan. None of them will stray from self-righteous dogma far enough to stop the chants from echoing between their ears.
maybe if you clarified exactly what you mean by a political partisan, I would not see your point as you meant to make it.

Do you think I should vote for anyone who calls himself a Republican when he supports Romney and Ryan and their slanders and lies? I can see not voting for some Democrat who is not good enough, but I cannot see voting for anyone who wears the label of Republican and supports the national ticket. I usually only vote for the ones I am for in my party. In the distant past I voted for halfway decent Republicans in order to defeat bad Democrats for Congress and Senate in Missouri - but that was an extreme situation after a plane crash killed the person actually nominated for the Senate, and after a 5-way primary resulted in the nomination of a rightwing Republican opportunist playboy backed by the Hunt family on the Democratic ticket - back in l976. And at that time, I even asked Bob Dole and David Treen to help good Democrats to defeat our bad Democratic candidates, by helping the nice enough Republican candidate for the House. Dole said, and I quote, of the socalled Democratic House candidate: "He's no Democrat! He raised money for CREEP!" He did not sound very friendly toward CREEP, either! and he was nominated for VP and came back to Mo to campaign for the GOP Congressional candidate.

But now there are so few GOP Congressmen who have any merit, and they would vote to put horrible persons like Issa of California in as Committee Chairman, so I would never vote for a Republican for the House or Senate, and have them support a horrible set of committee chairpersons. That is why people who think they are for Obama should have supported Democrats in 2010, or else they were as good as taking back their support for Obama because he was not a miracle worker. That would be the fault of their extremely stupid expectations, not of Obama or Democrats. The Democrats only had 60 votes in the Senate for 4 months, and that was not long enough to accomplish nearly enough.

Elections have consequences, especially legislative elections. Voting for some person because one thinks he has a nice personality - or she has a nice figure - is stupid. One should know the platform and historical record of one's political party - actually of both of them - in sufficient detail, to prefer one party - unless of course, one is so dumb or lazy or indoctrinated it is not worth the bother to know anything.

So I would want the possum to have a good staff, and a helper when it came time to vote, to push the right button. As Colbert showed with his delightful comic comment, even a horse could say neigh. and the horse would definately have a nicer personality and figure - even than Mr. Brown of Mass.

“See how you are?”

Earth

#86897 Sep 6, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> I have seen some cute oppossums! but now, there are very few national level Republicans that are nicer than possums.
I was greatly thankful that I didn't have smellevision during the RNC, just as I'm greatly thankful to have a sense of humor during the DNC.
havent forgotten

Lamoni, IA

#86898 Sep 6, 2012
ChromiuMan wrote:
<quoted text>
I was greatly thankful that I didn't have smellevision during the RNC, just as I'm greatly thankful to have a sense of humor during the DNC.
what we really need is an accurate fact-checker, for both parties and all politicians and businessmen and policemen and judges, etc. but one cannot trust the fact-checkers, even.
know

United States

#86899 Sep 6, 2012
1 Corinthians 2:14
Are You Kidding

Chicago, IL

#86900 Sep 6, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text>The prejudice against black persons was a part of the Mormon past. There are lots of secrets in the Mormon faith. We do not know enough about it, or about Romney and what he believes, and would feel he has to do, as a good Mormon. Apparently greed is OK with them.
How can you possibly say he is greedy when he has donated millions to charities? You have no idea what you are talking about!!!

“Speaker of Mountain Wisdom....”

Since: Jan 10

London, KY

#86901 Sep 6, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> you are totally nuts. on foreign policy and on Obama. first of all the people who want to bring down the economy of this country are the rightwing Republicans, the opportunistic Republicans, and the greedy crooked folks in corporations and the financial world (not necessarily the honest rich people, even though they would benefit financially from a Republican President and Congress). It was also Obama who took the risk of alienating Pakisan government and people by authorizing the raid into Pakistan to get Bin Laden - capture or kill, with choice left up to the military in the circumstances they encountered. He also has alienated Muslims by sending drones after Al Quida leaders, and thus risking killing innocent civilians among whom those leaders try to hide - this to fight Al Quida, and also to save American lives by not sending in more "boots on the ground" or pilot-and crew manned airplanes. If a Bush had done it you would have applauded it.
In Libya, Qadaffi was already called a terrorist for authorizing the downing of the airplane near Greenland seveal years ago. If a Bush had done it you would have applauded it.
In Egypt, and elsewhere, the socalled Arab spring was a mixture of all those harmed by the oppressive regimes. The air strikes called in to protect civilians in cities made it a humanitarian type operation. Not pro one side or another, just anti the side that was butchering civilians. Sort of as if someone had had the courage to stand up against the Nazis and Fascists when Mussolini and Hitler used Span as target practice and weapons testring grounds prior to WWII. Would you have been for Franco?
You are amazingly inconsistent - to rational seeming on religion, and so emotional and outright rightwing extremist on politics. I still think you have overreacted from your own youthful lefty extremism.
Did you ever tell us whether your views on religion are also a reaction against some part of your upbringing?
My Views on Religion are due to Education and the pursuit of Intellectual Honesty.... Nothing more, nothing less....

As for your projections on my views you are not even in the Ball Park... As for Qadaffi my view would have been to strike him directly within hours of determining his part in it... As for the up risings in the so called Arab Spring my views would have been Screw Em... It matters not a bit what I would think about the Governments of those countries.. I would not lift a finger in support of a armed uprising against such a government even if the Government was my enemy... Not My Problem... Unless those Government took actions against Me or my friend and then I would thump them in the head for those specific actions...(I am speaking from My position and what I would wish My Government would do in such cases)

In WW2 I would have stepped in the Instant Germany or Italy took actions against my Friends or my stuff... But I would not get involved in the armed uprising of any country, on either side unless there was a Direct Threat to Me or My Friends...

I was totally against ground troops into Iraq or Afghanistan... I was for Thumping them both in the head with many tons of HE though...

London, KY

#86902 Sep 6, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
<quoted text> that was nice of you, and I bet you reward some of your models for your photos by feeding them well. and thanks for sharing the results. much as I oppose you on politics, I still am not hostile to you as I would be to someone who seemed hateful. you seem twisted, without being hateful - maybe by your past. but you should know that you are not given a complete pass when you are so intolerant and spread lies and propaganda like a Donald Trump idiot.
To the Twisted the straight only look twisted... As for giving me a pass I could give a crap what your personal misunderstandings of my views are... All I can do is explain it to you, I cannot understand it for you....

London, KY

#86903 Sep 6, 2012
havent forgotten wrote:
So since intrinsic racism was part of the Democratic past should we consider all democrats still racists?
wow

Lexington, KY

#86904 Sep 6, 2012
wow wrote:
well the worlds going to hell so do you really think it would be that bad of an idea..... this is KY..... if we lived in a more diverse place I could see your point..... Just like saying the pledge they should have the choice to say no but at least offer it to those who want it. I seriously doubt there are more opposed to this than those to encourage it. Oh and while there at it.... bring prayer back and the all mighty paddle. Kick these kids asses and teach them the right things and maybe society as a whole would benefit.
AMEN!!!!

“There is no god.”

Since: Jan 12

USA

#86905 Sep 6, 2012
Dang, called the man a twisted intolerant lying idiot, kinda makes me feel like just being inferior and nasty is not so bad.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garrett Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sherry Slone 6 hr truth 10
josh slone from hindman (Jan '11) 7 hr Man child josh 36
Hindman IGA 7 hr Sdrawkcabsihtgnid... 16
Garrett Music Forum (Mar '13) Jun 15 Musikologist 9
Woman in Blue Ford Truck in Garrett (Dec '14) Jun 7 Barnett 3
randy conleys little grandbaby (Jul '14) May '16 coalmtn 3
dope dealers in garrett (Apr '14) Feb '16 Ha ha 21
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Garrett Mortgages