Highway Patrol has surplus vehicles for sale

RALEIGH The North Carolina State Highway Patrol has over 200 surplus vehicles for sale. Full Story
First Prev
of 5
Next Last
LOKEL

Weaverville, NC

#1 Feb 13, 2009
Why is it, if the cars are worth selling, that the HP can't STOP THE PORK and drive these cars until they stop.

How many folks in this State drive cars that are much older than these "surplus vehicles?"

This should perk up some ears in Raleigh, but my guess is business as PERDUE usual.
wnc

Boiling Springs, SC

#2 Feb 13, 2009
great point
GoHome

Raleigh, NC

#3 Feb 13, 2009
These are all former state highway patrol cars who while could be driven into the ground as you suggest, would cost the taxpayer more in maintenance to do so than to recoup what they can out of them now without extreme costly overhauls while they're still able to be sold. It's called common sense if you've ever owned a car. And do you want an emergency vehicle breaking down as its coming to provide service to or protect you?
local

Sherrills Ford, NC

#4 Feb 13, 2009
LOKEL wrote:
Why is it, if the cars are worth selling, that the HP can't STOP THE PORK and drive these cars until they stop.
How many folks in this State drive cars that are much older than these "surplus vehicles?"
This should perk up some ears in Raleigh, but my guess is business as PERDUE usual.
I agree. If the cars are truly in "great condition" they should still be in use by the NCHP. I think the state is in a habit (policy?) of providing a new vehicle for the troopers every 2-3 years.

It's time to tighten the belt Ms. Perdue!
JBB

Cary, NC

#5 Feb 13, 2009
As far as these cars go, I will say that the NCSHP uses these car to very most. But as far as a Police Vehicle goes, it is better to replace them before they start giving problems and then they becomne surplus.
Thank of it like this, NCSHP cars get run at different speeds, and different situation than normal cars. Would you want yourself or loves ones depending on a Trooper to get there on a vehicle that is very old with a lot of road miles and has had some major issue being in the shop all the time.
These guys and gals have to depend on these vehicles to hold up and to get them there and back.
I am a retired police officer and I have work closely with the NCSHP and I know this.
It's a little different than your local Police Department, where even myself have been in some worn out vehicles that you just didn't trust.
Local Police Departments usually goes in circles all day or all night and putting maybe a 150 miles on the vehicle in 12 hours. And the NCSHP are driving 9 hours and putting close to 350 to 450 miles on it during a shift.
Being down a back road at 2am in morning and your emergency vehicle has crapped out on you isn't fun when you are faced looking at a bad guy.
For the most part these vehicles are fine for the general public for everyday normal use. I would buy one myself if I didn't already have a vehicle.
I hope this has help you all to better understand these surplus situations.

Since: Nov 07

Barnesville, OH

#6 Feb 13, 2009
I just figured that they were replaced in the fleet and were just sitting around, makes sense to sell them!
LOKEL

Weaverville, NC

#7 Feb 13, 2009
So what happens to them if they are not purchased?
LOKEL

Weaverville, NC

#8 Feb 13, 2009
GoHome wrote:
These are all former state highway patrol cars who while could be driven into the ground as you suggest, would cost the taxpayer more in maintenance to do so than to recoup what they can out of them now without extreme costly overhauls while they're still able to be sold. It's called common sense if you've ever owned a car. And do you want an emergency vehicle breaking down as its coming to provide service to or protect you?
It clearly states that these cars have had service every 6,000 miles and are in "EXCELLENT" condition .....
LOKEL

Weaverville, NC

#9 Feb 13, 2009
More than 200 cars .... according to the price list, none more than 5 years old ..... how are these coonsidered surplus when they also state that have received attention every 6,000 miles .....

I am not saying they shouldn't be sold- especially if they are sitting in a lot somewhere ... but how did the State end up with 200 "EXTRA" cars sitting around?

“THE INTERNET MAKES YOU STUPID”

Since: Feb 09

Candler, NC

#10 Feb 13, 2009
Buy one, put a ski rack on the roof, and watch others nail their brake lights as you barrel down the road. There's no other reason than this, to buy a used police cruiser.

“THE INTERNET MAKES YOU STUPID”

Since: Feb 09

Candler, NC

#11 Feb 13, 2009
LOKEL wrote:
none more than 5 years old ..... how are these coonsidered surplus when they also state that have received attention every 6,000 miles .....
Answer: They're all FORD and CHEVY !! They're not built to last more than 100K miles.
Tender Foot

United States

#12 Feb 13, 2009
industrialgreen wrote:
Buy one, put a ski rack on the roof, and watch others nail their brake lights as you barrel down the road. There's no other reason than this, to buy a used police cruiser.
Yup. And then point and laugh at the people giving you dirty looks as you pass by.
LOKEL

Weaverville, NC

#13 Feb 13, 2009
If they are safe, and in good enough condition to sell to the citizens of the Great North State ... then why can't they be distributed to various State agencies instead of purchasing new vehicles ...
Tender Foot

United States

#14 Feb 13, 2009
I actually wouldn't mind owning a vic. Probably one of the few vehicle body styles I like nowadays. Most other vehicles are looking kinda ugly.
What_s with this

Fort Myers, FL

#15 Feb 13, 2009
LOKEL wrote:
Probably sold as scrap instead of recycling them to other govt agencies.
They could give those older cars to the governor & cronies to drive.
JBB

Cary, NC

#16 Feb 13, 2009
LOKEL wrote:
1) In most cases they are auctioned off at a state auction to the highest bidder which is sometimes lower than what the state is asking now.
2) Some smaller Police Departments purchases them and the state will put a plain paint job on them and you see them again at these departments. But I have been in some off these cars then and they don't hold up with the physical punishment for a long period of time. Mind you now these cars get worked at these little departments, every other officer is driving them and they all have different driving habits. So it doesn't take long to wear one out.

The state tries to recour some of its money back if possible.
my my

Spartanburg, SC

#17 Feb 13, 2009
LOKEL wrote:
<quoted text>
It clearly states that these cars have had service every 6,000 miles and are in "EXCELLENT" condition .....
If you drive them until they are pure junk you will never sale them.....then what? Thats there office not just a car. You all need to start reserving comments until you get the facts. School buses are taken up and sold before they stop running. Do you want children on buses that may not make it to school or to home.

“Conservative for America”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#18 Feb 13, 2009
industrialgreen wrote:
<quoted text>
Answer: They're all FORD and CHEVY !! They're not built to last more than 100K miles.
I'll hang till things get bad enough APD comes up off some of those suped up Dodge Chargers we spent millions in tax dollars for. Ever travelled outside the US? It is amazing the fuel sipping economy cars police forces use all over Europe and Asia. A little four banger tuned can do the job of the big cruiser. I tend to think the locked in the past thinking of the government buyers equates big beefy gas guzzling car as a phallus symbol to make the law enforces look and more importantly feel more impressive.
JBB

Cary, NC

#19 Feb 13, 2009
LOKEL wrote:
More than 200 cars .... according to the price list, none more than 5 years old ..... how are these coonsidered surplus when they also state that have received attention every 6,000 miles .....
I am not saying they shouldn't be sold- especially if they are sitting in a lot somewhere ... but how did the State end up with 200 "EXTRA" cars sitting around?
They just don't happen overnight. Many cases these cars sit in lots after they have been stripped of the emergency equipment, and new ones come on line. If you figure the number of Troopers in the State and then everyone gets a new ride after so many miles it can add up. And if you figure into that, other agencies nationwide doing the same it doesn't take long to add up these cars. They can't simply sell them to used car lots cause that would be cornering the market for other car lots.
Back in 2000 I guess, when the hurricane came through. FEMA bought up all these campers for the citizens to live in. After it was all over the State and the Federal Govt. had all these campers sitting around on lots. They couldn't just sell them to local camper dealers for the market would have been cornered too. It took forever to get rid of these units. I'm talking about 3 years.
If you figure that 2/3 of any Govt. budget is spent on Law Enforcement to provide us with all that we need to be safe, it puts a drain on the budget, because any Law Enforcement agency doesn't make a profit for these departments. Its all dead weight, but it has to be spent, there is no way around it. Unlike your Water, Electric, and Sewer departments all make money for the Govt. But not Law Enforcement.
If you get a speeding ticket, which would be about $170.00. Out of that the State gets the Fine, The County gets the court cost and the (Department),(not the officer)gets a whopping $5.00.
I hope this helps with any questions.
JBB

Cary, NC

#20 Feb 13, 2009
yona wrote:
<quoted text>
I'll hang till things get bad enough APD comes up off some of those suped up Dodge Chargers we spent millions in tax dollars for. Ever travelled outside the US? It is amazing the fuel sipping economy cars police forces use all over Europe and Asia. A little four banger tuned can do the job of the big cruiser. I tend to think the locked in the past thinking of the government buyers equates big beefy gas guzzling car as a phallus symbol to make the law enforces look and more importantly feel more impressive.
I agree with you on that. I just got back from Germany. And we are way behind on this. But thats the American way is to have everything BIGGER, BETTER. We need to wake up.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 5
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garner Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
"The Impact of North Carolina's Private Bail In... 15 min Rachael Shepard 11
Do you like to expose your wife? (Sep '11) Tue Justin 51
Man robbed, beaten after using Raleigh ATM Dec 21 Randy 1
Buh Bye all you IBM Employees (Feb '11) Dec 20 Resource Action 54
The Xmas miracle you've been waiting on Dec 18 Educated 1
Slope bill may go steeper (May '07) Dec 18 geoguy 12
Review: Safe Towing Dec 17 Elena 1
Garner Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web