Should we move to Garfield Hts.?

Posted in the Garfield Heights Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Since: Dec 11

Location hidden

#1 Dec 28, 2011
A great house opportunity has came to our little family. Problem is, we've only lived on the far East side (Lake County). He would be much closer to work, but works long hours leaving me and our 3 yr old home alone a lot. Is it a bad place to live? How is the crime? I haven't been able to find much info so far. Would greatly appreciate any firsthand accounts of life there. Also, she will be attending school there so how are they? I saw about the cuts. Are the private schools good/worth it? We want to take this awesome deal, but not if I'll be too scared to leave the house. Thanks in advance!
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#2 Dec 29, 2011
Garfield Heights has very high property taxes, so that's the fist thing you want to check out. The schools are very diverse and of course, always in need of money. Garfield has a good sized police department and a cop is only a minute away if you really need one. The further south in Garfield you live, the better. The northern part of Garfield borders Cleveland, so you have more rift-raft in that area.

My sister lives in Saybrook Hills which is a development in the southern part of Garfield and she's never had a problem. It's quiet and you can take evening walks if you wish. I wouldn't say that about other parts of Garfield Heights.

Cleveland Magazine has an annual issue called Rating The Suburbs. It's a great issue to have because it has every statistic imaginable about all the suburbs in the Cleveland area: Crime, murders, violent crime, diversity, taxes, housing values, schools, and so on. I would suggest that you contact Cleveland Magazine and get the latest issue. It's not on the internet--I checked. So you will have to buy a copy of the actual magazine.

Keep in mind that Garfield (like many suburbs) suffered a crime streak during the housing bubble and burst. 0% down on homes invited all kinds of Cleveland lowlifes to the suburbs. It's quieted down since because the banks caught up with all their foreclosures, and that sent a lot of the scum back to Cleveland where they belong. You may want to take that into consideration when looking over the statistics of Garfield Heights.

I don't know how much time you have to have before you have to move on this deal, but if it's no rush, I would find a rental apartment in the area you plan to move in, and spend a couple of weekends (or weeks) there to see how you feel about the area.

Hope this helps.
resident

Cleveland, OH

#3 Dec 29, 2011
dont do it
Garfielder

Cleveland, OH

#4 Dec 29, 2011
I live on a street west off of Turney Road (between 480 and Rockside),near the Middle School. Our area is quiet for the most part and nicely kept up with friendly neighbors.

I walk my dog early morning and late night and times in between. Although I stay alert, I never feel afraid. Many other dog walkers and recreational walkers in the area.

There are several young families on my street as well, with more kids around than had been for a while. No problems so far.

Good value for $$ right now for homes in the area. My street has some rentals, but the residents are good and are part of the neighborhood. Location is very convenient to 480/77. I work on west side of Cleveland and it only takes me 20-25 mins on 480 (heavy traffic is always going opposite direction). And a quick shot downtown for Monsters hockey at the Q or down to Summit county for shopping.

Plus you are moments away from the National Park, Cuyahoga Valley Scenic RR and the Towpath Trail for walking, running and bike riding. Garfield,Bedford and Breckville Metroparks are close for picnics and hiking and educational programs.

Can't speak directly about schools, but they are cutting hours and offerings in January due to levys being voted down repeatedly. But my impression is that the schools have been pretty decent for an inner-ring suburb.

The Mayor has lots of talk about improvements coming to the rather deserted Cityview and non-existent Bridgeview shopping areas (both a calamity of the recession, mostly). Haven't seen anything yet. But the Giant Eagle is good and you are close to Summit County or Brecksville for Target, Lowe's, other GE's, Heinen's etc.

We are also on plan for a replacement building for the Garfield Hts Cuyahoga County Library branch to start 2012 or 13 (current library good, but too small and outdated). There is a decent swimming pool and ice skating (public skating available in the winter and hockey and figure skating programs all winter).

I've lived here for >27 years and only want to move when I'm ready for a 55+ apartment!!

If you are responsible, quiet, friendly, don't play rap-crap at ear-shattering levels or honk car horns in the middle of the night (LOL) and are willing to keep your property up, PLEASE come to Garfield - we need you!!
Garfielder

Cleveland, OH

#5 Dec 29, 2011
Also, there are two Catholic Grade Schools - St. Monica (will be St. Benedict after it merges with St. Martin of Tours in Maple Heights next school year) and John Paul II acadamy in the former St. Therese school building (merging of St. Therese and St. Peter and Paul schools a few years ago. Both will accept non-Catholic students. Not sure how the new St. Benedict will be run (all new format after the merger). Right now St. Monica is an excellent grade school, no preschool, but has kindergarten and there are several preschools in the area (Independence has a couple of good ones).

Location hidden

#6 Dec 29, 2011
Thanks everyone for the helpful insights. And no, we don't blast music or honk our horns late at night. Music is usually kept at a nice level unless the lil one touches the knob lol! Husband saw the house today & the only complaint was that it's so close to the next houses.(We both grew up with land.) It is just going to be a starter home. My only complaint is there is only Catholic private schools but I suppose I can drive her to a Christian one if need be. Again, thanks for being so nice and helpful minus the "don't do it" which left something more to be desired. Would love Mr. or Ms. "don't do it" to elaborate. We need more of a reason to pass this up.
mapleman

Bedford, OH

#7 Dec 29, 2011
Garfield Heights is okay. Not much crime at all. The houses are dirt cheap right now. The Catholic private schools are Christian. Since you stay at home, homeschooling is an option if you are worried about denomination or your child being around riff raff in public schools.

If you move into the area between Turney and Dunham, the Valley View parks are right around the corner. A very peaceful place during summer. So are the ones down the street in Walton Hills.

City View is decent, although a lot of stores have left. Outback steak house in Independence and the movies located in Valley View are close.

It's all about location. If you pick the right location in Garfield, your experience will be pleasant. When you go to look at the homes, be sure to observe the street, your potential neighbors and the area in general.

Location hidden

#8 Dec 29, 2011
It's Mccracken blvd.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#9 Dec 29, 2011
TheBossLady07 wrote:
It's Mccracken blvd.
If it's west of Turney Road, it should be okay. If it's east of Turney road, that's kind of a main street that gets a lot of traffic.

Location hidden

#10 Dec 29, 2011
Ok thanks.
Former Garfielder

Smithfield, NC

#11 Jan 7, 2012
Don't dismiss the Catholic schools too quickly. They are excellent schools and don't tend to shove Catholicism down anyone's throat. At St. Monica I learned discipline and respect - things often missing from public schools. There are some places in Garfield Hts in need of facelifts - particularly the empty shopping center, but in terms of good neighbors, good schools and a generally nice community it's not at all a bad place. I've been surprised to discover how many of my classmates stayed in GH all their lives (we graduated in the 70's) - and while this may speak of lack of adventuresome spirit - it also tells me that people are not running away. I'd say go for it.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#12 Jan 7, 2012
Then why are you a "former" Garfielder? LOL!

I was in the class of 78. Maybe I even know you.

Location hidden

#13 Jan 7, 2012
The deal fell through.... apparently the current renter who was offered it 6 months ago, but didn't accept now wants it. We are very saddened by this. Thank you all for the feedback. We were really looking forward to becoming a part of that community. Hopefully something else will come our way.
xxxrayted

Cleveland, OH

#14 Jan 8, 2012
Garfield (like Maple) has all kinds of deals on homes. If you take the time to look around, you can still be a resident of Garfield Heights:

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/search/rea...
Lenny P

Cleveland, OH

#15 Jan 16, 2012
Garfield is a great place to live. You can buy a 100K house for 50K because of the property value drop.
just my opinion

United States

#16 Jan 17, 2012
I wouldn't move to garfield if it were rent free
mapleman

Bedford, OH

#17 Jan 17, 2012
just my opinion wrote:
I wouldn't move to garfield if it were rent free
The police are bloodsucking ghouls when it comes to traffic tickets, but the city isn't bad at all.

Location hidden

#18 Feb 4, 2012
Thanks for all the opinions. We did some exploring tonight. Perhaps we'll become residents some day.
imelda

Cleveland, OH

#20 Feb 10, 2012
Also, there are 5 choices for food within a 2 minute drive:

DRUG MART, SAVE A LOT, MARCS, DIANT EAGLE, DAVES

You can always find decent food for almost nothing around here. Everything is close, even downtown, so you save a ton by living here.

Taxes are high, but you have to dispute your tax bill after you buy to get it to show what YOU paid, not the guy 5 years ago.

:-)

Location hidden

#21 Feb 10, 2012
What are your reasons for "stay off McCracken?" We've heard bad things about the busy side close to the hospital, but not anything about the other side of Turney. Please elaborate imelda. Thanks =)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garfield Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
W8GC, my Elmer for ham radio. Aug 28 WT8O 10
WB8N 2015 Field Day Aug 28 WT8O 4
WT8O's back door cherry POPPED. Aug 25 Ray 5
News Cloverleaf Speedway reunion set July 16 in Parma (Jul '10) Aug 24 roboman 7
News Local Jews upset by Holocaust references in cam... (Jun '12) Aug 20 Calgary Blue Collar 124
WB8N, PLEASE leave C.A.R.S. Radio Club Aug 17 w8urc 3
W8GC Ebay, stomach B R A ' s in stock now... Aug 17 filthy guy 6
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Garfield Heights Mortgages