|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
Of course I understand that. But what you don't understand is that Americans are consumed with cheap. We are all guilty of it too.
Take a look around. How many KFC's have you seen close down in the past couple of years? Most of them. We are so cheap that we won't even pay for good fast food. KFC is huge in China and they don't even sell that much chicken. So they closed outlets here and opened up hundreds in China.
Wal-Mart is number one for a reason: they have the cheapest products. So when you say "if" we made cheaper products here, that's the catch. We can't make cheaper products here and the reason we can't is because of all the regulations.
Now there is this push to make minimum wage $15.00. If politicians get behind this, it will drive even more jobs overseas.
Within all this, we still can't absolve ourselves. We don't look at where our products are made--we look at what the price of our products are. We don't care about the politicians, we don't care how environmentally destructive the country that made the product, we don't care if they use child labor. We care about price, and that's our fault.
Okay, blame the corporations and let the politicians skate. Typical liberal attitude.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Americans are consumed with cheap.
Some are. But there are always those willing to pay a premium for stuff that's better than the lowest common denominator.

You reminded me of this famous quote:

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey."

John Ruskin
froggy60

Urbana, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

why dont someone post something about the corruption in the court system in gallipolis? i know everyone knows whats going on and what has been going on. if everybody would stop voting these shitasses in and start standing up for their rights this town would have a lot less moldy money, lot more jobs, probably alot less drugs to be put back on the streets and some new blood in town.
Pops

Newport, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Of course I understand that. But what you don't understand is that Americans are consumed with cheap. We are all guilty of it too.
Take a look around. How many KFC's have you seen close down in the past couple of years? Most of them. We are so cheap that we won't even pay for good fast food. KFC is huge in China and they don't even sell that much chicken. So they closed outlets here and opened up hundreds in China.
Wal-Mart is number one for a reason: they have the cheapest products. So when you say "if" we made cheaper products here, that's the catch. We can't make cheaper products here and the reason we can't is because of all the regulations.
Now there is this push to make minimum wage $15.00. If politicians get behind this, it will drive even more jobs overseas.
Within all this, we still can't absolve ourselves. We don't look at where our products are made--we look at what the price of our products are. We don't care about the politicians, we don't care how environmentally destructive the country that made the product, we don't care if they use child labor. We care about price, and that's our fault.
I haven't noticed any KFC's closing but the rest of your post has a 110% valid issue.
Roughly 15 years ago, maybe a little longer, Wal-Mart had TV commercials bragging about U.S. made products with the yellow 'Mr Smiley' in the commercials. They phased that out at a rate that just about no one noticed.
I am one of those that would pay 20%-50% more for an American made product. I have passed up buying some things that I wanted after seeing a 'Made in China' label.
I have also passed up buying some things that I wanted if there was a hint of being 'Union Made' because that told me that the product was over priced.
Not to actually put down Union Made products since I do not begrudge anyone a proper wage but I have been union 3 times in my life time & have experienced the lazy,'NOT my job' attitude of union members that simply feed the salaries of the upper union 'management'(thru their payroll deductions) that care no more for their members than today's politicians do for their constituents. Mostly phoney baloney & protection of their own salaries with the paid expenses accounts & then there's the subservient butt kissing that comes with that position.
Sorry, just call them as I see them.
Pops

Newport, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 30, 2013

Judged:

froggy60 wrote:
why dont someone post something about the corruption in the court system in gallipolis? i know everyone knows whats going on and what has been going on. if everybody would stop voting these shitasses in and start standing up for their rights this town would have a lot less moldy money, lot more jobs, probably alot less drugs to be put back on the streets and some new blood in town.
Start another subject/forum.
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

Pops wrote:
<quoted text>I haven't noticed any KFC's closing but the rest of your post has a 110% valid issue.
Roughly 15 years ago, maybe a little longer, Wal-Mart had TV commercials bragging about U.S. made products with the yellow 'Mr Smiley' in the commercials. They phased that out at a rate that just about no one noticed.
I am one of those that would pay 20%-50% more for an American made product. I have passed up buying some things that I wanted after seeing a 'Made in China' label.
I have also passed up buying some things that I wanted if there was a hint of being 'Union Made' because that told me that the product was over priced.
Not to actually put down Union Made products since I do not begrudge anyone a proper wage but I have been union 3 times in my life time & have experienced the lazy,'NOT my job' attitude of union members that simply feed the salaries of the upper union 'management'(thru their payroll deductions) that care no more for their members than today's politicians do for their constituents. Mostly phoney baloney & protection of their own salaries with the paid expenses accounts & then there's the subservient butt kissing that comes with that position.
Sorry, just call them as I see them.
I don't own an American car and never will. With my last American car, after 50,000 miles, my mechanic drove it more than I did.

I now have a Toyota Camry. It's a great car that comes with a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty or seven years, whichever comes first. They never break down.

When it got to the point I couldn't put anymore money in my junk American car, I started to do some research and talk with as many mechanics as I could. It was a consensus that American cars are made from junk parts and they constantly break down. Why? For several reasons.

First of all, unions forced auto makers to cover retirement benefits for their former workers who haven't been on the job in 20 years. So they had to use cheap parts and technology to counter that loss. Then of course they had to make up the loss of paying current union workers. Next they want to keep their mechanics going at the dealership. Can't have those guys sitting around making that kind of money. Keep them working with broken down cars.

My Toyota is made from quality parts and engineering. That's why they don't break down. They don't put their money into clowns riding around on floor sweepers making $58.00 per hour on a Sunday. They put their money into the quality of the vehicle.

I could write a book on my experiences with unions. After all, I've been driving a truck for over 20 years now and had my share of those bastards--especially worthless UAW workers.
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Just Sayin wrote:
<quoted text>Okay, blame the corporations and let the politicians skate. Typical liberal attitude.
You have comprehension problems, don't you?

Where did I let politicians skate?

Politicians are not the main problem, but part of it. American consumers are the main problem. After all, manufacturers only produce what their customers want. If their customers want low quality cheap products, that's what they give them.

The company I work for is under pressure because of Wal-Mart. One of our customers supplies Wal-Mart with their products and those products have to be under a certain price. In order for them to do that, we have to give them special rates to get the business. They are our biggest customer for tractor-trailer operations, so my employer would rather do the work for less money than not get the work at all.
woo-boy

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
I don't own an American car and never will. With my last American car, after 50,000 miles, my mechanic drove it more than I did.
I now have a Toyota Camry. It's a great car that comes with a 100,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty or seven years, whichever comes first. They never break down.
When it got to the point I couldn't put anymore money in my junk American car, I started to do some research and talk with as many mechanics as I could. It was a consensus that American cars are made from junk parts and they constantly break down. Why? For several reasons.
First of all, unions forced auto makers to cover retirement benefits for their former workers who haven't been on the job in 20 years. So they had to use cheap parts and technology to counter that loss. Then of course they had to make up the loss of paying current union workers. Next they want to keep their mechanics going at the dealership. Can't have those guys sitting around making that kind of money. Keep them working with broken down cars.
My Toyota is made from quality parts and engineering. That's why they don't break down. They don't put their money into clowns riding around on floor sweepers making $58.00 per hour on a Sunday. They put their money into the quality of the vehicle.
I could write a book on my experiences with unions. After all, I've been driving a truck for over 20 years now and had my share of those bastards--especially worthless UAW workers.
It's the unions that are responsible for you getting paid a livable wage. Get rid of them and wages would plummet while corporate profits would skyrocket even higher than what they are now. You'll end up driving your truck, slobbering over Rush on the radio for a lot less money. You even pointed that out in your post about the distributor pushing for cheaper delivery prices.
woo-boy

Waverly, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

Reality Speaks wrote:
<quoted text>
and you are overpaid at minimum wage.
Make a lot more than what most non-productive suit and ties idiots do.
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

woo-boy wrote:
<quoted text>It's the unions that are responsible for you getting paid a livable wage. Get rid of them and wages would plummet while corporate profits would skyrocket even higher than what they are now. You'll end up driving your truck, slobbering over Rush on the radio for a lot less money. You even pointed that out in your post about the distributor pushing for cheaper delivery prices.
This reminds me of a discussion my father and I used to have several years ago.

My father being a retired union bricklayer always stuck up for the unions when we discussed the subject. He used to say the exact same thing to me "If not for unions, you wouldn't be getting paid what you are today driving a truck!"

One day I got sick of that line, so I finally responded "Without unions, I wouldn't need to get paid the wage I make today because then I could afford one of your union built houses!"

That ended that discussion once and for all.

Did unions push up our wages? Of course they did, but in the process, pushed up the prices of all our goods so to the point we finally started buying foreign products.

Let me give you this scenario:

Let's say the US was an Autocracy, and since this is my scenario, I'll be the leader of our Autocracy.

In an Autocracy, there is no congress, no senate, no supreme court judges. In an autocracy, one person makes all the decisions for the country.

So I look down on our country and see the problem of overseas products and America lagging behind in industry. My first rule of law would be that everything in the country is now worth half of what it was yesterday.

That means your $150,000 house is now worth $75,000. Your $30,000 SUV is now worth $15,000. Your $10,000 bank account is now only worth $5,000.

On the other hand, your Big Mac combo now only costs you $2.50 instead of $5.00. That new $200,000 house you wanted to buy now only costs $100,00. That $40,000 boat you wanted now only costs $20,000.

So you run all the numbers pro and con, and then call me up and say "Ray, with this plan of yours, I'm no further ahead or behind than I was before!" To that I would say "True, you are no further ahead or behind, but the difference is all our jobs will come back to the US."

My example is to demonstrate what unions really did to this country: price us out of the world market. Unions caused massive inflation, and that's why our jobs are overseas today.
IVOTE

West Union, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

befor you vot for kasick you should know how he intends to reduce the taxs on the wealthy. he is doing away with the tax reducting on people 65yrs old who owen propety. he will akedo anything to make him look good.
Old Guy

Cincinnati, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
...what unions really did to this country: price us out of the world market. Unions caused massive inflation, and that's why our jobs are overseas today.
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
"In Japan, Toyota Motor Workers’ Union has 58,000 members."
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/ar...
Pops

Newport, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

IVOTE wrote:
befor you vot for kasick you should know how he intends to reduce the taxs on the wealthy. he is doing away with the tax reducting on people 65yrs old who owen propety. he will akedo anything to make him look good.
If I were the spelling police, you would be locked up. I had to read your post twice to see the logic of your msg. But you do have a msg.

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh, I love someone with 0 awareness of Japanese labor law and practices ranting about how their system surpasses those dreadful unions.

Omori, yo.
Pops

Newport, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

Old Guy wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
"In Japan, Toyota Motor Workers’ Union has 58,000 members."
http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/ar...
Interesting link.
Do You see what else is in it's content? It's a TOYOTA union, not UAW. They are focused on Toyota issues. Unlike the UAW that would control strikes at virtually every sub-component manufacturer like brake parts, spark plugs, wiring harnesses, etc.
If I were to work for GM or Ford & had contract negotiations dragging out, I wouldn't expect a battery or paint company to join the strike & then all of those people to lose their income too. OR on the flip side, If I worked for the battery or paint company I wouldn't want to go on strike simply to give the GM or Ford workers more clout. I have my family to feed, clothe & house.
It would seem that Toyota, Honda & Subaru etc are competitively reasonable within their markets.

Since: Aug 12

Atlanta, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
Heh, I love someone with 0 awareness of Japanese labor law and practices ranting about how their system surpasses those dreadful unions.
Omori, yo.
My next truck will be built by Americans in San Antonio and it'll say Tundra on the side.
Pops

Newport, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
You have comprehension problems, don't you?
Where did I let politicians skate?
Politicians are not the main problem, but part of it. American consumers are the main problem. After all, manufacturers only produce what their customers want. If their customers want low quality cheap products, that's what they give them.
The company I work for is under pressure because of Wal-Mart. One of our customers supplies Wal-Mart with their products and those products have to be under a certain price. In order for them to do that, we have to give them special rates to get the business. They are our biggest customer for tractor-trailer operations, so my employer would rather do the work for less money than not get the work at all.
You bring a thought to my mind about the economics of much of this.
An economic facet that hasn't been mentioned yet is; When China 'loaned' us nearly a trillion dollars, it was money that the U.S. had been spending over there on cheapening products that in many cases became ones only choice to purchase. Then the weakening economy simply perpetuated the slide. It doesn't matter much if someone earns union wages, their shopping choices are the same as any other shopper.
Buying state controlled goods from the largest pollution making, wage controlling, freedom stifling country in the world.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

Pops wrote:
<quoted text>Interesting link.
Do You see what else is in it's content? It's a TOYOTA union, not UAW. They are focused on Toyota issues. Unlike the UAW that would control strikes at virtually every sub-component manufacturer like brake parts, spark plugs, wiring harnesses, etc.
If I were to work for GM or Ford & had contract negotiations dragging out, I wouldn't expect a battery or paint company to join the strike & then all of those people to lose their income too. OR on the flip side, If I worked for the battery or paint company I wouldn't want to go on strike simply to give the GM or Ford workers more clout. I have my family to feed, clothe & house.
It would seem that Toyota, Honda & Subaru etc are competitively reasonable within their markets.
It's not the Toyota union. It's the Nihon jidosha roso, a large automotive union. Seriously, how do people who know nothing about Japanese labor keep chiming in and missing the mark?

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E5%85%A8%E6%97%...
xxxrayted

Beachwood, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
Omori, yo.
Oh trust me. I've seen how those UAW unions operate. Remember, I'm a truck driver and have had the bad experience of delivering to them hundreds of times.

More than that, I know that my last two Toyota's never needed a repair--not once. While no automotive expert, I relied on the thumbs up of countless mechanics I've spoken with through the years before my switch to Japanese. I also took note at what kind of cars were usually stranded on the side of the highway when I went past them. Most were American made cars.

So you keep buying those American made union cars and support those thousands of former workers sitting home collecting their pension from the money you pay for their car, and I'll keep buying cars that will stay on the road.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 31, 2013

Judged:

xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh trust me. I've seen how those UAW unions operate. Remember, I'm a truck driver and have had the bad experience of delivering to them hundreds of times.
More than that, I know that my last two Toyota's never needed a repair--not once. While no automotive expert, I relied on the thumbs up of countless mechanics I've spoken with through the years before my switch to Japanese. I also took note at what kind of cars were usually stranded on the side of the highway when I went past them. Most were American made cars.
So you keep buying those American made union cars and support those thousands of former workers sitting home collecting their pension from the money you pay for their car, and I'll keep buying cars that will stay on the road.
I think the main problem here is your specific ignorance of Japanese labor, as these cars are made by member's of one of Japan's strongest unions.

Unless your comments are a sort of complicated satire, in which case, these are excellent.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Garfield Heights Discussions

Search the Garfield Heights Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Ohio in 2... (Oct '10) 7 hr Anonymous of Indy 2,226
The Enduring Mystery Of Beverly Jarosz (Feb '08) 10 hr NIMROD33 985
Wheelchair-Bound Woman Dies in House Fire (Aug '10) 11 hr former resident 317
cuyahoga amateur radio society sucks Wed WB8N 7
What happened today (07/24) Jul 28 xxxrayted 9
The Missing Link? Jul 27 Researcher 1
Missing Man: Maple Heights Man Missing After Ba... (Jul '10) Jul 25 Tee23 37
•••
•••
•••
Garfield Heights Dating

more search filters

less search filters