Who do you support for Governor in Oh...
titonton divaunte pants

United States

#16048 Dec 19, 2012
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
It's the truth. The only people I have seen shot in home invasions were those who had guns themselves. Most times, they were shot with their own guns.
You don't like scientific studies and prefer anecdotal evidence. That's what I gave you. It seems you simply don't like information that doesn't fit your preconceived notions.
sounds like you know from experiance. The nra gives all kinds of safety classes dave. Even ones that play out home invasions. BTW we all hope your wife is ok dave.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#16049 Dec 19, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
So 100 stories of people protecting themselves with firearms not being harmed for using them doesn't make your anecdotes untrue? Then what makes them true?
What makes them true is that they happened. That was kind of a stupid question.

Look. This was on the first page of your search.

Woman, 86, pulled gun before intruder killed her, documents say

http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/2012121...
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#16050 Dec 19, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
So 100 stories of people protecting themselves with firearms not being harmed for using them doesn't make your anecdotes untrue? Then what makes them true?
Just so you will now tell us how you can't do scientific research through a Google search, do one on "shot with own gun."
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#16051 Dec 19, 2012
Cousin DuPrees Cousin wrote:
<quoted text>
Shooters Mother was heavily armed as we know. Did it help or hinder her survival? You could say it CAUSED her demise.
From what we know now, there are two things that caused her demise: first off is training your screwed up kid how to shoot a gun. Second is that she danced around having him institutionalized and informing him of her intent. It's believed now that's what set him off. She did some voluntary work at the school which is why her son chose it as a target.

I don't blame the gun or type of gun for this tragedy. I blame a irresponsible parent.
titonton divaunte pants

United States

#16052 Dec 19, 2012
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Just for a chuckle, I did what you suggested. Here is the fourth result. But I used Bing.
Rochester pastor who shot granddaughter thought she was intruder
http://www.startribune.com/local/183452611.ht...
yep and tasers are"non lethal" too. Yet over 500 people are killed by them a year. Just from police.

Since: Feb 12

Location hidden

#16053 Dec 19, 2012
Some of the reason Gun Violence reporting is incomplete or sketchy.

Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence » Gun Violence Prevention ... smartgunlaws.org/effectiveness-gun-violence-p... -...

Mar 1, 2012 ... Gun Violence Prevention Efforts Hampered by Lack of Research and Funding ... A 2005 report of a committee of the National Academy of Sciences ... for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) were becoming increasingly ...

Health and Crime Data Sources - Resources - Center for Gun ... www.jhsph.edu/research/centers-and-institutes... -...

The Center's work in this area focuses on the role of gun dealers, straw purchases, and firearm theft in the transfer of guns from legal to illegal markets. More ...
Scores of kids killed at home, out of national spotlight www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/12/17... -...

2 days ago ... One expert on gun violence sees more social pressure for people to pick up their ... The CDC breakdown: 41 deaths were classified as unintentional, 127 as ... Violent Death Reporting System, over 86% of all firearm deaths of ...(Obama, even in Newtown, did not mention changing gun laws specifically.)...

frontline: hot guns: Firearm Injuries | PBS www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/guns/p... - Similarto frontline: hot guns: Firearm Injuries | PBS

Along with the National Rifle Association, Dr. Suter's group has campaigned to get Congress to cut CDC's funding for gun violence research. Last year ...
Gun Violence: How Research on an American Health Crisis Has ... www.forbes.com/sites/robwaters/2012/12/17/gun... ...

2 days ago ... In 1996, Congress cut the CDC's budget by $2.6 million and passed ... nature of this crime, we must recognize that gun violence represents a ...
US budget cut may end CDC gun-violence research : The Lancet www.thelancet.com/pdfs/journals/lancet/PIIS01...

The National Rifle Association's 2-year quest to end what it calls biased research into gun-related violence and firearms injuries funded by the US Centers for ...
How Your Tax Dollars Demonize Your Guns - America's 1st Freedom www.nrapublications.org/index.php/9485/how-yo... ...

Finally, in 1996, Congress cut off gun control funding for the CDC—mainly ... of gun ownership and how having more guns correlates with more gun violence.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#16054 Dec 19, 2012
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Just for a chuckle, I did what you suggested. Here is the fourth result. But I used Bing.
Rochester pastor who shot granddaughter thought she was intruder
http://www.startribune.com/local/183452611.ht...
That's called a gun accident and doesn't support your claim that those who use a gun are likely to make matters worse on themselves ending up with them getting shot instead.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#16055 Dec 19, 2012
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes them true is that they happened. That was kind of a stupid question.
Look. This was on the first page of your search.
Woman, 86, pulled gun before intruder killed her, documents say
http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/2012121...
The woman didn't even have control over the gun. She was 86 years old for crying out loud. She was reaching for the gun when he wrestled it away from her. You call that evidence to support your claim?
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#16056 Dec 19, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
From what we know now, there are two things that caused her demise: first off is training your screwed up kid how to shoot a gun. Second is that she danced around having him institutionalized and informing him of her intent. It's believed now that's what set him off. She did some voluntary work at the school which is why her son chose it as a target.
I don't blame the gun or type of gun for this tragedy. I blame a irresponsible parent.
How old is a reasonable age to teach your child how to use a gun?
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#16057 Dec 19, 2012
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Just so you will now tell us how you can't do scientific research through a Google search, do one on "shot with own gun."
Gun accidents happen all the time. Every hunting season usually starts out with a hunter getting hurt or killed by accident. So do we outlaw hunting or disarm the rest of America for that reason?
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#16058 Dec 19, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
That's called a gun accident and doesn't support your claim that those who use a gun are likely to make matters worse on themselves ending up with them getting shot instead.
Oh. I didn't understand the terminology. When a homeowner pulls a gun on an intruder and "wins" the confrontation, that is a gun success story. When a home owner pulls a gun on who he thinks is an intruder and shoots someone in his own family, that's just an unfortunate incident. I see. I bet that gun made that granddaughter shot in the chest feel much safer in her home.

Location hidden

#16059 Dec 19, 2012
American Journal of Lifestyle Medicine: Armed Self-Defense at ... www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2011/04/robert-fara... ...

Apr 28, 2011 ...“gun accidents are most likely to occur in homes with guns”... What about knives ?... his conclusions make sense: people do stupid things when angry or depressed, and the presence of a gun helps make that stupidity fatal.
Gun owners: what would it take for you to give up your guns?... forum.slowtwitch.com/gforum.cgi... ;

2 days ago ... I don't carry a gun to make me feel like a man. I carry a ..... If you have a gun, everybody in your home is more likely than your non-gun-owning ...
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#16060 Dec 19, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
The woman didn't even have control over the gun. She was 86 years old for crying out loud. She was reaching for the gun when he wrestled it away from her. You call that evidence to support your claim?
If you recall, you told me to Google the words you provided and told me I would find hundreds of heartwarming gun success stories and no stories of gun failures. The only claim I was making was how you were wrong about that specific assertion of yours.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#16061 Dec 19, 2012
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
I started teaching my son when he was 12.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#16062 Dec 19, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
Gun accidents happen all the time. Every hunting season usually starts out with a hunter getting hurt or killed by accident. So do we outlaw hunting or disarm the rest of America for that reason?
Crazy. These experienced, trained, gunmen shooting themselves or each other. Even more reason to put more guns in schools, eh?
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#16063 Dec 19, 2012
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Oh. I didn't understand the terminology. When a homeowner pulls a gun on an intruder and "wins" the confrontation, that is a gun success story. When a home owner pulls a gun on who he thinks is an intruder and shoots someone in his own family, that's just an unfortunate incident. I see. I bet that gun made that granddaughter shot in the chest feel much safer in her home.
"She didn't say that having a gun makes you more likely to be assaulted. She said the study said if you have a gun when you get assaulted you are more likely to get shot."

That's what we were discussing.

Location hidden

#16064 Dec 19, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
XX, there is an assumed risk when people hunt. There is an assumed risk when we get in a car, bus, plane, truck. We don't expect anything to happen, but we know it is a possibility.

There is not an assumed risk when we send kids to school or go to the movies. We may expect that our kids will fall off the slide or the swings, or fall down on the playground at recess, but we never expect them to be gunned down at school at 6 or 7 years old.

Another poster on another thread suggested that maybe gun owners should have their Semi Automatics and Clips of more than 12 Rounds locked away at Shooting ranges. Come shoot them when they wish. Gun owners expense Not a bad idea. It would likely be the Honor System, like our Taxes, so there would be cheats. Electronic chips/tracking systems also an option. First thing that should be done, regardless of what goes down with Gun limitations is a lock system at schools, like they have at Malls. When someone reports a lost child all the doors to Exterior are locked automatically. Cameras and Metal Detectors prior to the doors could help at schools.
Better than having kids in an armed camp and calling it school.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#16065 Dec 19, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
"She didn't say that having a gun makes you more likely to be assaulted. She said the study said if you have a gun when you get assaulted you are more likely to get shot."
That's what we were discussing.
And my contribution to the discussion is that anecdote and Google searches are a completely unscientific approach at trying to answer that question and are essentially worthless. She is the only person who has offered an answer based on scientific method.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#16066 Dec 19, 2012
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>I started teaching my son when he was 12.
Do you know what age people usually start demonstrating symptoms of schizophrenia?

Location hidden

#16067 Dec 19, 2012
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
Apparently, considering all the experienced gun owners with dead children, Median age is 3 Years.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garfield Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 10-Year-Old Girl Dies After Falling in Tinkers ... (Mar '10) Jul 12 Teddy 6
News The Enduring Mystery Of Beverly Jarosz (Feb '08) Jul 9 jimgrnt1 1,140
News U.S. cop on recent shootings: 'How dare you sta... Jul 8 Donald Trump is a... 2
News French Art Colony doles out numerous art honors - Jul 3 Big Johnson 1
GARFIELD HEIGHTS: 15-year-old shot in church pa... (Mar '14) Jun 28 I Am Papoose 16
Noise ordinance (Jul '15) Jun 28 The Man With 3 Balls 7
writing a book,need help on this"forgotten" par... (Mar '12) Jun '16 Joe bananas 14

Garfield Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Garfield Heights Mortgages