Who do you support for Governor in Oh...

“Meh.”

Since: Aug 10

Location hidden

#15964 Dec 18, 2012
...?

Have you ever been there? It's pretty heavily Asian. I'm not sure where this somewhat insane idea that it's a whitewashed nation comes from.

Have some current population stats, breaking them down into easy to digest percentages for you!
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#15965 Dec 18, 2012
Cousin DuPrees Cousin wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes. And why didn't the shooter take out Dirty Harry Wanna Be, since he was there to kill as many as possible and he fixed his gun?
If it doesn't make sense, it isn't true.
http://www.youtube.com/watch...

Hugh Victor Thompson III

“Larchmont's Leading Citizen”

Since: Dec 12

Hilliard, OH

#15966 Dec 18, 2012
tranpsosition wrote:
...?
Have you ever been there? It's pretty heavily Asian. I'm not sure where this somewhat insane idea that it's a whitewashed nation comes from.
Have some current population stats, breaking them down into easy to digest percentages for you!
Again, I repeat...HOMOGENOUS population, not recent immigration.
Over 80 percent of Australia's population is of European ancestry,...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia#Demogr...

“Meh.”

Location hidden

#15967 Dec 18, 2012
Hugh Victor Thompson III wrote:
<quoted text>And that's beginning in which year?
Tell me about the foreign born population before 1990 and their descendents. HOMOGENOUS.
So crime in Aus is low now because in the 90s, when crime peaked, you're assuming that more of the immigrants were European?

I'm not sure I even follow this argument.

“Meh.”

Location hidden

#15968 Dec 18, 2012
<quoted text>Again, I repeat...HOMOGENOUS population, not recent immigration.
Over 80 percent of Australia's population is of European ancestry,...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australia#Demogr...
Ah, are you trying to say that there are more white people than in the US?

I'm still having a hard time reading the subtext.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#15969 Dec 18, 2012
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
So crime in Aus is low now because in the 90s, when crime peaked, you're assuming that more of the immigrants were European?
Crime peaked most likely due to economic conditions coupled with youth population growth. That's just a guess, but it was the case here.

Hugh Victor Thompson III

Hilliard, OH

#15970 Dec 18, 2012
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
Ah, are you trying to say that there are more white people than in the US?
I'm still having a hard time reading the subtext.
Australia has always been whiter than the US since 1900, at least.
Jimmy

Cloverdale, OH

#15971 Dec 18, 2012
Here are what the prediction polls look like for Ohio's future. http://adf.ly/G96pd
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#15972 Dec 18, 2012
<quoted text>Better read what I just posted, with links to sources, unlike that twerp from England.
Fred, I read the 2006 Australia census numbers a while ago.

Australia is not as homogeneous as you first claimed it is.

The facts bear that out.

woof
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#15973 Dec 18, 2012
Tell me about the foreign born population before 1990 and their descendents. HOMOGENOUS.
Why do you always feel its necessary, when confronted with facts that undermine your assertions of absolute truth of a statement you have made, to then add in a qualifying factor so as to set aside the facts that you have just been confronted with?

It really gets old, Fred.

Fact of the matter is, Australia today is not nearly as homogenous as you first claimed it is, today. Nobody said a word about 1990.

woof
Pops

United States

#15974 Dec 18, 2012
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
I'm not sure that anyone can follow this argument. I have just 'cruised' the last 3 pages & it looks like a 50 car pile up or a double set of pic-up stix!
Some of these polls or links are too focused/specific to add to the arguments & others are too vague. Interesting tho.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#15975 Dec 18, 2012
Che Reagan Christ wrote:
<quoted text>
We are a culture that glorifies guns and death. We have a lot of work to do. Unfortunately, to some extent, we will probably have to wait to pry the guns out of your generation's cold, dead fingers.
But we can start by working on reducing these ridiculous military style weapons from out streets and taxing the ever loving shit out of guns and ammo to pay for the cost of trying to protect the innocent.
And accomplish what? Nothing?

Ask a gun dealer how the assault weapons ban did? They will show you many weapons with the same ability of destruction that were legal during 1994 and 2004. It's just like the weapon supposedly used in the Connecticut shooting. It was legal in spite of their assault weapon ban.

Nothing any Democrat introduced or is prepared to introduce will stop the next school shooting. The only thing you can do is allow people in the schools to defend themselves and the children in their care.

My generation is not the gun generation. The generations behind me are. How do I know? Because using firearms was never more popular than it is today. When I was in my 20's, you could go to the range anytime day or night and get a booth. Many times you were the only one there depending on when you went. Today, all booths are full and usually an hours waiting time to get in. They are even opening up new ranges all the time.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#15976 Dec 18, 2012
<quoted text>
A BIG difference if you're tha parent of one of those kids in school. CCW holders do not have real life training.
I have found that a 38, a 22 and a 357 are more accurate than a 9MM.
Shooter in CT had a 10 MM, which I had not heard of but that is what police reported, in addition to BushMaster Semi and a 9MM.
The caliber of gun is not what makes the accuracy, it's the barrel length and recoil.

If I were a parent who feared for my child's life in school, I would be more relieved knowing a few teachers or faculty had firearms in the building to protect my child than I would knowing that if some maniac breaks in, my child has no protection at all. Some schools have already started that program. So far, seems to be working rather well. No shootings in those schools.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#15977 Dec 18, 2012
<quoted text>
Your parents are not together?
You need to get your Mother a Stun Gun. She could zap the hell out of them, and you too if you need it.
Stun guns are no match for a real gun. If you're young enough, you can run away by the time the effects of a stun gun wears off on the attacker. Not so when you're a little old lady.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#15978 Dec 18, 2012
<quoted text>
Why is it you just seem like a guy who is itching to pull that trigger on someone, a real human? Almost like you're wishing and dreaming to find yourself in a scenario, like the mall or one of the school shootings, but I don't think it would go the way you expect it would. You have seen too many movies and YouTube Clips.
I posted the YouTube clip to demonstrate that it doesn't go down like you imagine. Think of it: all that training, all that firearm practice and education, and those cops missed the suspects like they were 100 feet away.

This is how we end up with innocent bystanders getting shot in the hood. Those lowlifes have no training, no experience and no knowledge of a gun. They do figure it's like a Dirty Harry movie and they will kill their victim with one shot to the head. Little do that know that any generous amount of space between them and their target will have a few misses. So they shoot at some other lowlife, the bullet misses and ends up killing somebody in their home watching television.
Duke for Mayor

Akron, OH

#15979 Dec 18, 2012
For Fred's and Pops' benefit, lets review.
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
This is actually exactly what I was talking about.
If banning guns wouldn't reduce the homicide rate due to the assumption that murders would find other tools, what keeps the UK at 1.2 to the US's 4.2? Shouldn't the murders have found other tools?
Just after a mass shooting the UK placed serious restrictions on firearms and came out of a spike in violent crime. There's been no rise in knife, car, bomb or pool cue deaths to make up the difference.
What keeps Australia at the 1.0 they reached after strict firearms restrictions?
Karl Monday wrote:
<quoted text>
Island?
<quoted text>Australia is a homogenous society, geographically isolated by today's standards with very selective immigration criteria compared to the United States.
tranpsosition wrote:
Aus foreign born population in 2007: 25.0%
US foreign born population in 2007: 13.6%
Google "1370.0 - Measures of Australia's Progress, 2010" for the full dataset.
<quoted text>Did you happen to consider that of that 25% foreign born the majority come from Europe? White, western democratic tradition, educated nations. HOMOGENOUS.

[QUOTE who="Duke for Mayor"]<quoted text>
Better check the numbers Georgie boy. You're approaching the bubble meter's limits again.
woof
<quoted text>I said population, over time. Not the immigrants of 2010.
Now where your cite?
Australia had almost 26.5 percent of the population born overseas and this is regarded to be the highest since 1901.
In the year 1947, nearly 90 percent of the total population of Australia was exclusively Australian-born. However, it was only after the Second World War when Australia encouraged immigration at massive scales by inviting migrants hailing from Europe to immigrate to Australia. This resulted in immigration of Europeans into Australia in large numbers (hundreds of thousands).
Meanwhile, immigrants hailing from Britain account for largest number of single overseas-born people in Australia.
http://www.canadaupdates.com/content/26-perce...
tranpsosition wrote:
<quoted text>
http://www.humanrights.gov.au/racial_discrimi...

If you really want to clutch your pearls, check out the racial make up.
woof
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#15980 Dec 18, 2012
tranpsosition wrote:
I've never really understood the argument that having a gun will somehow keep you safer in an attack or assault.
Do people who believe this not know about studies showing that carrying a gun in an assault increasing your risk or do they just ignore them?
I've never seen such statistics. The statistics I have seen show that criminals are more afraid to commit a crime where people can defend themselves than Victim Zones where they know nobody is armed.

Do explain: how is one less safe with a gun than without during an assault?
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#15981 Dec 18, 2012
<quoted text>Did you happen to consider that of that 25% foreign born the majority come from Europe? White, western democratic tradition, educated nations. HOMOGENOUS.
And there is no nation easier to enter as a poor, uneducated third worlder than the United States.
How many poor, uneducated third worlders have shot up a mall, movie theater, political rally or school lately?
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#15982 Dec 18, 2012
Karl Monday wrote:
<quoted text>
Island?
Guns can swim.
Che Reagan Christ

Medina, OH

#15983 Dec 18, 2012
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
The caliber of gun is not what makes the accuracy, it's the barrel length and recoil.
If I were a parent who feared for my child's life in school, I would be more relieved knowing a few teachers or faculty had firearms in the building to protect my child than I would knowing that if some maniac breaks in, my child has no protection at all. Some schools have already started that program. So far, seems to be working rather well. No shootings in those schools.
That program will be popular until someone gets shot with some teacher's gun.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garfield Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cuyahoga Amateur Radio Society S U C K S (Jul '14) Aug 4 kiowi 9
N8TCP, reports. (Nov '15) Aug 2 kiowi 3
News 10-Year-Old Girl Dies After Falling in Tinkers ... (Mar '10) Jul '16 Teddy 6
News The Enduring Mystery Of Beverly Jarosz (Feb '08) Jul '16 jimgrnt1 1,140
News U.S. cop on recent shootings: 'How dare you sta... Jul '16 Donald Trump is a... 2
News French Art Colony doles out numerous art honors - Jul '16 Big Johnson 1
C.A.R.S. mentally handicapped members. (Oct '15) Oct '15 Eddie 9inch Stevens 5

Garfield Heights Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Garfield Heights Mortgages