Town Refunds $100,000 in Speeding Tic...

Town Refunds $100,000 in Speeding Ticket Money

There are 70 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Sep 20, 2010, titled Town Refunds $100,000 in Speeding Ticket Money. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

More than 900 drivers who received tickets from speed cameras in Garfield Heights are getting their money back.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
Jennifer-Garfiel d Heights

Northfield, OH

#1 Sep 20, 2010
Sneaky! Good so I get my money back!!! That camera is entrapment and unfair!!!! The cops get so many people calling that people want to blow the damn thing up. Its totally unfair!
Joy

Painesville, OH

#2 Sep 20, 2010
The best advice would be to look at the speed limit signs & then look at your speedometer. Most accident are caused because of excessive speed.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#3 Sep 20, 2010
Wrong Joy. As a professional truck driver, I can tell you that accidents have little to do with speed. It has to do with drivers paying attention. In my career, I've seen everything from people reading a newspaper, to driving in the high-speed lanes on a highway doing 45 mph, to people on the internet with their laptops. People are texting and talking on their cell phones which is fine with me provided one can multitask. But most can't because they don't have the experience to do so. Hell, I've seen people have sex with themselves on the freeway.

In my opinion, half the people driving in Ohio are too stupid to drive in the first place. But because it's our main source of transportation, we have to let them out there.

If you go outside of Cuyahoga and nearby counties, it's frequent that you see roads similar to Turney with a 35 mph or better speed limit. In some areas, streets like Transportation Blvd. they have a speed limit of 45 mph. or better.

In Toledo, Ohio, they have business and shopping districts with 45 mph speed limits. They have an entire lane on each side of the road dedicated for bikes and stalled out motor vehicles. Never a problem there.

Speed doesn't cause accidents. Speed can however increase the damage in an accident if the motorist is an idiot. Speed limits don't stop idiots, it just makes them drive slower.
mapleman

Willoughby, OH

#4 Sep 20, 2010
You are correct xxx. People have been brainwashed by the politicians that want to use speed as a cash cow. Most people simply aren't paying attention.

How many accidents are caused by mechanical failure? Now how many are caused by people not paying attention. Knowing how dumb people are you have to pay attention, because they will not. How many times have you seen somebody just cut into a lane without hitting a turn signal? Or they just slam on their breaks to make a turn instead of hitting a turn signal prior. Or people that hit the gas as soon as the light is green without checking to see what the traffic that is supposed to stop is doing. I can go on and on.
disgusted

Meadville, PA

#5 Sep 20, 2010
What a bunch of crap. Ten mph over speed limit should be ticketed. All the people getting their money back are a BUNCH OF LOSERS.
Nimo

Brook Park, OH

#6 Sep 20, 2010
It is a pleasure driving through Garfield Hts now with everyone watching their speed - just wish they had more stores and restaurants to visit
Nimo

Brook Park, OH

#7 Sep 20, 2010
xxxrayted wrote:
Wrong Joy. As a professional truck driver, I can tell you that accidents have little to do with speed. It has to do with drivers paying attention. In my career, I've seen everything from people reading a newspaper, to driving in the high-speed lanes on a highway doing 45 mph, to people on the internet with their laptops. People are texting and talking on their cell phones which is fine with me provided one can multitask. But most can't because they don't have the experience to do so. Hell, I've seen people have sex with themselves on the freeway.
In my opinion, half the people driving in Ohio are too stupid to drive in the first place. But because it's our main source of transportation, we have to let them out there.
If you go outside of Cuyahoga and nearby counties, it's frequent that you see roads similar to Turney with a 35 mph or better speed limit. In some areas, streets like Transportation Blvd. they have a speed limit of 45 mph. or better.
In Toledo, Ohio, they have business and shopping districts with 45 mph speed limits. They have an entire lane on each side of the road dedicated for bikes and stalled out motor vehicles. Never a problem there.
Speed doesn't cause accidents. Speed can however increase the damage in an accident if the motorist is an idiot. Speed limits don't stop idiots, it just makes them drive slower.
You say it has to do with people paying attention - well now people "ARE" paying attention when driving thru Garfield Hts keeping their eyes on the road looking for the "white SUV" - it's wonderful now driving thru Garfield Hts.- wish more cities would do this
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#8 Sep 21, 2010
mapleman wrote:
You are correct xxx. People have been brainwashed by the politicians that want to use speed as a cash cow. Most people simply aren't paying attention.
How many accidents are caused by mechanical failure? Now how many are caused by people not paying attention. Knowing how dumb people are you have to pay attention, because they will not. How many times have you seen somebody just cut into a lane without hitting a turn signal? Or they just slam on their breaks to make a turn instead of hitting a turn signal prior. Or people that hit the gas as soon as the light is green without checking to see what the traffic that is supposed to stop is doing. I can go on and on.
There is a term we use for looking out for the other driver. It's called Defensive Driving, and it's a must when you do it for a living.

The new thing I've noticed is people stopping right in the middle of the highway because they almost missed their exit. They're playing around on their cell phones not paying attention, and then swerve over four lanes to get off on the highway. I was driving down 271 north, and some idiot missed the 90 Westbound exit, hit the brakes to a dead stop, and then jumped right in front of my truck as I was rolling along at 60 mph. That's how stupid people are today.

So the question remains, who creates these speed limits? Experts in safety? Professional drivers? Engineers? No. They are created by city Council people who have no more experience at judging safety than any other motorist on the road. What makes them experts??? They aren't. That's the point. But because they randomly decided on X speed limit for X area, people are inclined to believe that this was strategically calculated. It's just a bunch of dumb people pulling numbers out of a hat. And that's why speed is different in other areas outside of our own.
Jack

Clarksville, TN

#9 Sep 21, 2010
Speeding is speeding people! You broke the law so take responsiblity for it. The speed limits are there for your safety and to be heeded not to guage the amount over you plan to go over.
xxxrayted

Brook Park, OH

#10 Sep 21, 2010
Nimo wrote:
It is a pleasure driving through Garfield Hts now with everyone watching their speed - just wish they had more stores and restaurants to visit
If this vote goes through to keep the speed cameras, get used to less stores and restaurants. Once somebody gets nailed for a red light or speed, they will avoid Garfield Heights at all costs. And this will cause less business activity in your community.

I live in Maple Heights, but do plenty of driving in Garfield, and I haven't noticed any change in the driving habits of people. And who knows? If red light cameras are supported by the citizens of that community, look for them to put out five or ten more. That should sit well with people considering Garfield Heights as a place to purchase a home and live.

There is something immoral and un-American about being found guilty of something you perhaps were not guilty of. And it's my hope that every person who votes for these cameras gets nailed themselves. Because once you let your son, daughter or neighbor borrow your car, what he or she does is your responsibility because a police officer did not stop the vehicle and site the person who actually violated the law.
dissent1970

Dallas, TX

#11 Sep 21, 2010
It's time time take out these cameras anyway we can!!!! "Those who would trade Freedom for Security, deserve neither"
sean

Chicago, IL

#12 Sep 21, 2010
Okay there are more accidents caused by food related distractions than the cell phone. Why is it that we don't ban the drive-thru, it's money plain and simple. I am going to trust a truckers opinion over the likes of anyone else, because they're out there. If he feels in his experience that speed doesn't kill but stupidity I'm inclined to believe him. I have seen accidents because of these cameras, here's an idea invest that money installing these cameras to hiring more police. You want safer roads, make the driving test more difficult, and build a public transportation system that actually works. Stop blaming the cell phone for distractions, it's detouring from the point that it's the idiot behind the phone.
sean

Chicago, IL

#13 Sep 21, 2010
Jack wrote:
Speeding is speeding people! You broke the law so take responsiblity for it. The speed limits are there for your safety and to be heeded not to guage the amount over you plan to go over.
The people who implemented these cameras set up that very 10mph limit before a ticket is supposed to be issued. Don't hide behind the law and then get mad because those who were following it want to be compensated for not technically breaking it and still having to pay.
mapleman

Bedford, OH

#14 Sep 21, 2010
xxxrayted wrote:
<quoted text>
There is a term we use for looking out for the other driver. It's called Defensive Driving, and it's a must when you do it for a living.
The new thing I've noticed is people stopping right in the middle of the highway because they almost missed their exit. They're playing around on their cell phones not paying attention, and then swerve over four lanes to get off on the highway. I was driving down 271 north, and some idiot missed the 90 Westbound exit, hit the brakes to a dead stop, and then jumped right in front of my truck as I was rolling along at 60 mph. That's how stupid people are today.
So the question remains, who creates these speed limits? Experts in safety? Professional drivers? Engineers? No. They are created by city Council people who have no more experience at judging safety than any other motorist on the road. What makes them experts??? They aren't. That's the point. But because they randomly decided on X speed limit for X area, people are inclined to believe that this was strategically calculated. It's just a bunch of dumb people pulling numbers out of a hat. And that's why speed is different in other areas outside of our own.
Most traffic engineers support the use of the 85th percentile speed to set speed limits, cities set limits low so they can get revenue. It's that simple. Take Broadway in Maple Heights, I must be the only person doing under 30 on that street(unless a cop is seen). Now take Libby, it is posted 35 but people aren't speeding on that strip, they tend to go around 35. 35 mph is a nice pace for most people, not too fast and not too slow.

90 is also a cash cow, outside of rush hour it's easy to go 70 with no problem, why is the speed any lower when most are doing 70?

How much money would cities lose if speed limits were set accurately? As usual, it's all about the dollar. Government is great at raping the people and pretending like it is for our safety.
RightTurnClyde

Spring Valley, CA

#15 Sep 21, 2010
These ticket issuing cameras are all criminal ripping off the public. California had a special crew setting yellow lights to one second so they could issue more tickets -- they need the money (much of California is bankrupt -- cities and state government). Arizona had speeding cameras all over the state .. ripping people off for revenue. The highway bandits have black and white cruisers with red lights on them. Stealing -- raiding like bandits. Confiscating cars and selling them. $500 tickets (Illinois too). Just steal- steal -steal in the name of the law.

Since: Mar 10

Location hidden

#16 Sep 21, 2010
xxxrayted wrote:
Wrong Joy. As a professional truck driver, I can tell you that accidents have little to do with speed. It has to do with drivers paying attention. In my career, I've seen everything from people reading a newspaper, to driving in the high-speed lanes on a highway doing 45 mph, to people on the internet with their laptops. People are texting and talking on their cell phones which is fine with me provided one can multitask. But most can't because they don't have the experience to do so. Hell, I've seen people have sex with themselves on the freeway.
In my opinion, half the people driving in Ohio are too stupid to drive in the first place. But because it's our main source of transportation, we have to let them out there.
If you go outside of Cuyahoga and nearby counties, it's frequent that you see roads similar to Turney with a 35 mph or better speed limit. In some areas, streets like Transportation Blvd. they have a speed limit of 45 mph. or better.
In Toledo, Ohio, they have business and shopping districts with 45 mph speed limits. They have an entire lane on each side of the road dedicated for bikes and stalled out motor vehicles. Never a problem there.
Speed doesn't cause accidents. Speed can however increase the damage in an accident if the motorist is an idiot. Speed limits don't stop idiots, it just makes them drive slower.
As someone who travels quite frequently I have to agree with you. I have a hard time understanding a speed limit of 35 (sometimes 25)mph when comparable roads and traffice average 45 mph outside of Cuyahoga and it's neighboring counties.

I am not advocating traveling faster than the posted speed limit. I am saying the posted speed limit should be reasonable.

While on a recent road trip get away, I visited some family and friends. On several occassions while driving when we approached a slow moving car (doing 55 in 65) in the far left lane and failed to move over their joke was, "They must be from Ohio" and unfortunately, they were usually correct.
Gary

New York, NY

#17 Sep 21, 2010
I can't believe they're giving the money back. Perhaps I have this wrong - but it seems that if the speed limit is X, they are allowing you to go X+10 before finally giving a ticket at 11 over? Why not simply increase the speed limit and enforce it strictly? It is a LIMIT, not a suggested speed. If it says Speed Limit 40 MPH, technically 41 is speeding. I'm not saying the police have to go out there and start writing those tickets, but if you are going to have laws, enforce them. Would they say 'the legal limit for drinking and driving is .08, but you know what? We're gonna go ahead and say anyone that got a .12 can get their licenses back' lol A law is only as good as it's enforcement.
Thorne

Aurora, CO

#18 Sep 21, 2010
Jennifer-Garfield Heights wrote:
Sneaky! Good so I get my money back!!! That camera is entrapment and unfair!!!! The cops get so many people calling that people want to blow the damn thing up. Its totally unfair!
The fact that you called this entrapment shows you have no idea what you are talking about. It is in absolutely no way even close to entrapment. Look it up and try knowing what you are talking about next time.
Fric

Concord, CA

#19 Sep 21, 2010
I have a friend that is a State Police officer in a neighboring state. He states that they do not pull any speeder over unless they are going 15 MPH over the limit. I must admit, this prompts me to drive at 10 MPH over the limit, compared to my 5 MPH over the limit when I did not know this "secret rule".

I gotta hand it to you Ohio, it appears it's not all about money with you. Bravo!!!

Since: Jun 10

Kernersville, NC

#20 Sep 21, 2010
Everyone needs to check their state constitution. We had red light cameras (speed cameras fall in this category also) and they were removed after a citizen filed a lawsuit in state court to get the municipalities involved to relegate the collected fines toward the schools as explicitly spelled out in North Carolina's state constitution.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Garfield Heights Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Atlantic mills department store (May '15) Mar 30 Dave 6
News The Enduring Mystery Of Beverly Jarosz (Feb '08) Mar 29 BMB 1,167
News Ohio.com - Four cases 20 years cold (Aug '07) Feb '18 Florida Georgia Line 49
News 5 people stabbed this morning at Cleveland nigh... (Aug '12) Feb '18 Logic 4
K8ZFR, C.A.R.S. Hunk Nomination. (Sep '15) Jan '18 UhOHYEAH 6
News Garfield Heights bans pit bulls (Oct '07) Jan '18 LUVMYEMPRESS 14
News Troubles with neighborhood, teacher and money c... Jan '18 lol 1

Garfield Heights Jobs

Personal Finance

Garfield Heights Mortgages